Old January 1st 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Change in ARS numbers Pool - Guesses added 12/30/06 - edited.

"John Smith I" wrote in message
Dee Flint wrote:

Too bad. Several of us do quite a bit of work above 30MHz. The strange
thing is other than the repeaters, I seldom find any Technicians out
there.

Really, know about spread spectrum? Know anyone to give you some
frequency ring keys? Yanno, there be pirates in those waters bucko!
Perhaps you have noticed a bit more background noise ... ever see any
"strange activity" there, or hear conversations which seem to be spoken in
code? Hear strangely modulated signals?

Anything that depends on being "in vogue" can just as quickly go "out of
vogue". I want people who are interested in amateur radio not a
"fashionable activity".

There ya go! Right close to the real problem now, aren't we. Let me be
blunt--just to make the point hit home ... who gives a damn what Dee
wants? Don't hold yer breath ...

Anyone who takes up a hobby because it is "fashionable" to do so will not
cause an enduring growth in amateur radio. It is not an issue of what I
want. It is called facing reality. Fashions come and go. To insure the
long term health of ham radio, we need a sustainable growth pattern not
erratic blips due to people taking it up because it is in vogue.

That's probably the same ratio as in the rest of the population. Why
should ham radio be any different?

Because in software engineering the ratios are about backwards to those
found in "amateur radio", because in colleges the ratio is about backwards
to those found in amateur radio ... as a matter of fact, among all
technical minded people that ratio is about backwards to what is found
here--does that provide a clue to what is wrong here? You beginning to
see the matrix?

Really, I've met just as many idiots in the technical fields as outside of
it. The biggest difference is that those with the degree or working on the
degree seem to feel that means they automatically have a higher IQ. That
just isn't so.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 1st 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"John Smith I" wrote in message
Okay, John, be prepared to be in Dee's "killfile." She
doesn't care for those who are Un-politically correct.
:-)

I'd be crushed ... but, then again, I have gotten over worse.

I've never killfiled anyone over being politically incorrect. I happen to
enjoy a spirited debate so long as it does not descend to name calling and
snide remarks. I don't do it myself and won't tolerate those who do for
very long. That is precisely why I have kill filed Morgan and Anderson.
Neither one is able to continue a discussion without stooping to such
tactics. Once name calling and snide remarks enter the discussion it is
both boring and pointless to continue. I make every effort to avoid being
sucked into such an exchange.

I've not had a reason to kill file you yet and hopefully never will have a
reason. That we disagree in our points of view makes for stimulating
discussions. It would be rather boring if everyone agreed all the time
don't you think?

This "pool" is basically some nattering among the
morse mavens and/or a means of making nice-nice with
chatty messaging on a subject nobody can accurately
predict. I think it's supposed to be like the hostess
at a party being very busy with nagging everyone to
have a good time. :-)

Well, yeah, I can see the similarity you point out ...

As previously stated, I want everyone to pay attention. A pool does that. I
do not pretend that anyone can really predict it either. I have clearly
labelled them as guesses. It would be wonderful if the optomists are right.

This "pool" *IS* a means to belittle non-coders. Look
at the past in he Dee is an avowed OOK CW morse-
person. She isn't about to suddenly embrace a landmark
change in elimination of the code test with enthusiasm.

Yes. Pretty obvious, huh? Makes you wonder why some find it so hard to
get that little point--suppose we are just gifted? Maybe we escaped the
"dumbing down" of ham radio. I knew that incessant habit of banging that
key for hours on end would do some type of damage--now in looking back,
who would have supposed it would have done that much brain damage? Ya'
think the surgeon general should make 'em put a warning on side of the box
the key comes in?

It's amazing to me that people refer to me as a morseperson. Not even half
my contacts happen to be morse. In addition, I hate the "politically
correct" suffix of "-person" in any application. As my father used to say,
it is putting the em-PHA-sis on the wrong syl-LA-ble. The suffix "-man"
simply carries the older meaning of human being. Personally I think we
should go back to the term "werman" which was the term for the males just
like "woman" was the term for the females. Somehow the prefix on "werman"
was dropped.

Looking back at my own life, I've never cared whether I was "politically
correct" or not. I have always had my own goals and worked toward them. I
did not let me direct me towards what they thought I should do or like.

[snip]
She will be...and that's no guess or logic. Dee knows
what is best for amateur radio. Anything new or
revolutionary gets placed in her killfile where she
won't see it...after her trying to spank the "kiddies"
who dare speak against her. :-(

LA

You might be right, perhaps she has smoked the opium pipe much too often
with 'em

Warmest regards,
JS

Well now you see Len's tactics of insulting and denigrating anyone who
disagrees with him rather than debating the subject. I've never said that I
know what is best for amateur radio. However like everyone here (including
Anderson), I'm entitled to express my opinion and have a right to ignore
those who are incapable of debating without stooping to insults, name
calling, denigration, etc.

I've had many pleasant exchanges with Kim (W5TIT) even though we disagree on
almost everything. Alun (N3KIP) and I also disagree on many issues yet our
debates are very enjoyable.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 1st 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

[snip]

Looking back at my own life, I've never cared whether I was "politically
correct" or not. I have always had my own goals and worked toward them.
I did not let me direct me towards what they thought I should do or like.

correction:

"I did not let others direct me..."

Sometimes my thoughts are running ahead of my fingers.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 1st 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:

Dee:

I will be perfectly frank with you. You are very unique, you are female
and you are here; I have a great respect for that one simple fact. Your
sisters seem to lack both the ability and determination to follow you
here ...

I will treat you as I treat any male here, you deserve no less. The
fact you are here gives me confidence you will not turn and run easily;
again, I can have a deep respect for that.

I may fault you, differ with you, be angry with you, in the end I would
shake your hand as that of any other here. You have no need to fear me.
I have only verbal and text arguments to present--my ideas and
opinions, if you like.

Constantly, throughout my entire life I have changed. I may not be the
same man next year as I stand here today. I wish never to get so old I
cannot learn, change, adapt, get along, or face life head on, say my
piece and be done with it. I have great respect for others attempting
the same as I am ...

Now, although I think you suffer from the personalties who have trapped
your ear and offer their guidance to you, I have respect for your
arguments. I will hear your arguments and argue mine against yours,
others, or an army of others.

I doubt you will do differently--that is, if I am any judge of character
at all.

Warmest regards,
John Smith
Old January 1st 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
"I did not let others direct me..."

Sometimes my thoughts are running ahead of my fingers.

Dee, N8UZE

Well, if you ever have made that mistake (as I have done in past times),
never allow them again ...

Warmest regards,
JS

Old January 1st 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:

[...]

What else can I say but thank you.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 1st 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
What else can I say but thank you.

Dee, N8UZE

No Dee. I should have thanked you. You have given me much enjoyment in
our banter, discussion and arguments here.

If not for you, Cecil, Roy, Richard and possibly others, I'd have made
everyone happy and left for good! grin

Thanks!
JS
Old January 1st 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:
What else can I say but thank you.

Dee, N8UZE

No Dee. I should have thanked you. You have given me much enjoyment in
our banter, discussion and arguments here.

If not for you, Cecil, Roy, Richard and possibly others, I'd have made
everyone happy and left for good! grin

Thanks!
JS

Oh yeah, I forgot Len, last, but not least

JS
Old January 1st 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:

[...]

Well said, Dee. Like you, I've met many men and women whose IQ and learning
abilities often far surpass those of the 2.0 grade average college grad who
had to cheat on finals simply to get a "D" average.

Old January 1st 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:

Len:
Everyone doing the guessing is working with OLD paradigms.
There's NEVER been a time when there was NO code test, at
least since 1934. Nobody's been exposed to that kind of
environment/situation...all they've got is the old times
when there was ALWAYS a code test.

Well, since that paragraph is totally composed of logic--hope you don't
expect an argument from me! YEP, pretty much like that alright ...

Every Mighty Macho Morseman has disagreed with that.
I am "always mistaken." :-)

That's entirely possible but I'd say Unlikely with a
capital U. Just too many old farts ready to jump in
with the standard "they 'know' what is good for ham
radio!" AS IF. :-) [if they 'already knew' why
didn't they DO something about it?]

Again, hope you don't expect an argument from me. Heck, these
newsgroups are full of such and only prove the very point you make here ...

No argument expected, John. I'm probably preaching to
the choir but I'm also rather savoring retribution! evil smirk

But, but, but, the NEW DESIGNS in "stagnated equipment"
have ALREADY HAPPENED, beginning between 30 and 20 years
ago. ALL by manufacturers, generally off-shore...by
Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, JRC. Ten-Tec is struggling to stay
in the market (they are a USA company) but isn't achieving
market dominance at all. Note: W1AW uses Harris
transmitters (a pro user market dominant company).

Now here, I disagree with you. That is STILL ancient technology,
thinking and design. See that computer in front of you, when you can no
longer tell the difference between that computer and your rig--WELCOME
TO THE NEW MILLENNIUM!!!

Actually, that "computer look-alike" has already been done.
Twice. Maybe three times. Icom has a nice little box whose
control panel is the PC itself.

But...I digress...unlicensed (in the amateur service) are NOT
allowed to observe, conclude, or voice ANY opinion on
ANYTHING in amateur radio! [but, "you knew that" dintya?]

All them handheld VHF and above radios for the US ham
market were pioneered for commercial and military users,
not hams. [this newsgroup doesn't have regulars who
bother with the world above 30 MHz so they are unfamiliar
with it] [maybe Hans Brakob does...but Hans hasn't been
around much in the last year]

Again, no argument here ...

I'll go with that...but it's been a bit late. When one
American in three had a cellphone subscription (two years
ago according to the Bureau of Census) it is UNlikely
that morsemanship on HF to "talk to foreign lands" is
going to be some catchy, with-it motivation. Ordinary
folk can just dial direct on the telephone system at
lesser cost than paying $2K for a "free" ham station.

Again, absolutely. However, if ham radio is in vogue, pocket books will
open and the director calls, "ACTION!"

THAT will be the day. :-)

An ACTOR could begin the publicity. Imagine...a HAM ACTOR!
I can see the ARRL news headlines now...BSEG

Of course, the L.A. area is rather FULL of "ham actors"
who only need AMPAS and SAG "licenses" (actually registry)
to do their "ham" thing. :-)

"There's no business like show business..." :-)

Len, Len, Len. Most hams are the slowest dimwits I have ever had the
misfortune to participate with. Now don't get me wrong, mixed up in
their senseless mass are a few sheer geniuses, but the ratio is about
(100 dummies)1 bright) and just to find sane hams one has to cope with
the ratio of (10 insane)1 sane).

But then, you already knew that ...

Actually, no. I disagree with you. The Mighty Macho Morsemen
have been brainwashed by just about the only publications
group in the USA specializing in amateur radio. [they had
reported (IRS) income of $12.5 million three years ago]

These 3Ms sill think that morsemanship is the end-all, be-all
of "radio operating." Period, full stop. They are stuck in a
time warp to the standards and practices of seven decades
ago, never to advance. shrug

Dummies NO. Just brainwashed.

LA

So who won the "when does NoCode happen" pool? robert casey Policy 115 January 9th 07 12:28 PM
Is the code requirement really keeping good people out of ham radio? Slow Code Policy 287 November 14th 06 12:55 AM
TrunkPCR version 0.8.200 Now Available CrazyC Scanner 0 September 23rd 06 04:52 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Length of Coax Affecting Incident Power to Meter? Dr. Slick Antenna 140 August 18th 03 08:17 PM