Old January 2nd 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Even a Caveman could do it

"robert casey" wrote in message
ink.net...

[snip]

And the stuff cavemen knew would be stuff a city boy like myself doesn't
have a clue about. How to hunt animals with nothing better than crude
spears and rocks, knowing what plants are safe to eat and what's
poisonous, etc.... Different environments, they didn't need to know about
car insurance.

This is an item that people overlook when they talk about cavemen or
"primitive aborigines", etc. Most of us would die before we learned enough
to survive under the conditions they lived in. Even a genius, out of his
own environment, is helpless unless and until he learns how to survive in
the new one. Our caveman ancestors were no dummies.

Dee, N8UZE

Old January 2nd 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:

This is an item that people overlook when they talk about cavemen or
"primitive aborigines", etc. Most of us would die before we learned enough
to survive under the conditions they lived in. Even a genius, out of his
own environment, is helpless unless and until he learns how to survive in
the new one. Our caveman ancestors were no dummies.

Dee, N8UZE

Ahhh, now you are looking good Dee.

This is what I have always known. It is not wrote memorization which is
a true sign of greater intelligence, it is the ability to meet the
unknown on uncertain terms and solve the riddles.

It is the ability to be dropped in the middle of the unknown and
unfamiliar and come walking out alive ... I think I am nearing the end
of this newsgroup now, damn jungle in here!!! tense-strained-look

To the true explorer, logic is his compass.

Warmest regards,
JS
Old January 2nd 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"robert casey" wrote in message news:A%imh.9733

And the stuff cavemen knew would be stuff a city boy like myself doesn't
have a clue about. How to hunt animals with nothing better than crude
spears and rocks, knowing what plants are safe to eat and what's
poisonous, etc.... Different environments, they didn't need to know about
car insurance.

I agree, stuff like how to walk upright, inventing the wheel, inventing fire
:-))

Old January 2nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:

This is an item that people overlook when they talk about cavemen or
"primitive aborigines", etc. Most of us would die before we learned enough
to survive under the conditions they lived in. Even a genius, out of his
own environment, is helpless unless and until he learns how to survive in
the new one. Our caveman ancestors were no dummies.

And not all of the cavemen were our ancestors.

Ahhh, now you are looking good Dee.

This is what I have always known. It is not wrote memorization which is
a true sign of greater intelligence, it is the ability to meet the
unknown on uncertain terms and solve the riddles.

I think you missed the point.

It is the ability to be dropped in the middle of the unknown and
unfamiliar and come walking out alive ... I think I am nearing the end
of this newsgroup now, damn jungle in here!!! tense-strained-look

To the true explorer, logic is his compass.

But without background information, much of which is rote-memorized,
and learned skills, logic alone won't keep the person alive.

There's not just one type of intelligence, either.

Old January 3rd 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Yes N2EY, we know your mind set ... or, perhaps I speak for others, if
so, I KNOW!

With most, it takes me a bit to decide if they are actually part of the
problem or part of the solution. Over a year ago we had previous
dialog, there you proved to me you are part OF the problem ...

JS

Old January 5th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: John Smith I on Thurs, Jan 4 2007 4:54 pm

Len:

To me, in my personal opinion, my personal "take on things", what I
believe, what I "feel":

N2EY is a legend in his own mind. To me, he is a petty individual who
is totally self-serving, controlling and disgusting--if he has a wife--I
pity her ... time and time again, here, all I have ever seen him do is
attempt to push his ideas and wants upon others--even to the point of
being belligerently self-serving!

But, this is only my personal opinion ...

My take is that the morsemen in here have some of the
thinest skin of all humankind. Not just Miccolis, but
Heil, Kelly, Wince Ficus (aka "Slow Code"), and a host
of other old-style morsemen, some of whom have gone
beyond to that great code room "up above."

Add to that a large measure of smug arrogance in
older days...days when they felt that morse code
testing would "never" go away...and morse code skill
is the epitome, the most important skill any amateur
could have...and the morsemen RULE hamdom.

I have to agree with you on the extreme pettiness
Miccolis has exhibited. In trying to salve his
personal word wounds (received in opinion "battle")
he goes to extremes in petty-pointing EXACT WORDS
on quotes with DEMANDS that all his challengers
bring back old, old areguments to "prove" he never
said what he said. The rationales are over the top.

The pettiness gets over the top when he INSISTS on
arguing subjects that are almost 8 years old (such
as my Reply to Comments on NPRM 98-143 which the
FCC marked as received in January 1999). It is over
the top when he implies my moral-ethical 'wrongness'
on not "carrying out my 'promise' to go for extra-
out-of-the-box in 2000." His world doesn't allow
anyone to change their mind...EVER! :-(

However, to even remotely disagree with these
Mighty Macho Morsemen is to invoke much wasted
bandwidth of beligerant, accusatory "charges" of
impropriety and "wrongness" of a personal nature,
all of which are designed and manufactured to
belittle, demean, and generally say nasty to all
NCTAs. Who needs that? Is that what US amateur
radio is "all about?" Fuggem I say.

LA