Old February 1st 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Will "no code" license result in meaningful growth?

Information from within ARRL indicates that last year the ARRL VECs, whose
teams handle over 70% ov al VE sessions, per their claim (which I am not
confirming nor disputing), performed over 5,000 VE sessions (with each
session handling multiple applicants/testees).

According to the report, the average session was 5-10 applicants/testees ...
(25-50k testees)

"Reservations" have now jumped to 50-75/session!!!

It appears that no-code WILL result in significant growth. (as I predicted)

While some who want to keep our bands "to themselves" (at least until
they're reallocated for lack of/diminishing use) will bemoan this, I am
elated!

From what I've seen, the ARRL BoD is "Getting It" about the need to welcome
new hams and strongly discourage any berating/insulting/bad treatment of
them just because they didn't have to take a Morse test. BRAVO!

I hope that ALL hams will "get with the program" and act like decent human
beings/Elmers towards the impending, apparently significant influx of
newcomers.

Treat them right and they will assimilate - treat the crappy and you'll
regret it in the long run.

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old February 1st 07, 09:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Jan 31, 11:03�pm, "Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:
Information from within ARRL indicates that last year the ARRL VECs, whose
teams handle over 70% ov al VE sessions, per their claim (which I am not
confirming nor disputing), performed over 5,000 VE sessions (with each
session handling multiple applicants/testees).

According to the report, the average session was 5-10 applicants/testees ....
(25-50k testees)

"Reservations" have now jumped to 50-75/session!!!

That's excellent!

It appears that no-code WILL result in significant growth. (as I predicted)

Well, maybe.

We don't know if those reservations are for new hams, or for existing
hams
planning to upgrade.

We also don't know how long the "surge" will last.

Back in 2000, when both the Morse Code and written testing were
reduced, there was a
surge of growth. But it only lasted a short time, and now we're more
than 18,000 US hams
*fewer* than we were in May 2000. (see the long-lived thread "ARS
License Numbers" for
exact numbers).

IOW, the growth from the last license-requirements change did not
last. Hopefully, that won't be the case with this change.

While some who want to keep our bands "to themselves" (at least until
they're reallocated for lack of/diminishing use) will bemoan this, I am
elated!

I don't know any who want to "keep the bands to themselves". Who would
they be?

There *are* folks with differing ideas as to what the requirements for
a license will be.

From what I've seen, the ARRL BoD is "Getting It" about the need to welcome
new hams and strongly discourage any berating/insulting/bad treatment of
them just because they didn't have to take a Morse test. *BRAVO!

I hope that ALL hams will "get with the program" and act like decent human
beings/Elmers towards the impending, apparently significant influx of
newcomers.

From what I read on the various reflectors, that has always been the

case in most of
amateur radio.

Treat them right and they will assimilate - treat the crappy and you'll
regret it in the long run.

Remember that it's a two-way street, as well.

---

We'll see about the growth in a few weeks/months/years.

Good to hear from you, Carl.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old February 1st 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message
Information from within ARRL indicates that last year the ARRL VECs, whose
teams handle over 70% ov al VE sessions, per their claim (which I am not
confirming nor disputing), performed over 5,000 VE sessions (with each
session handling multiple applicants/testees).

According to the report, the average session was 5-10 applicants/testees
... (25-50k testees)

"Reservations" have now jumped to 50-75/session!!!

Is that NEW applicants or merely upgraders. I've had no increase in new
applicants making reservations but a significant increase in upgraders.

Also it is too soon to determine if this is simply a short term phenomenon
or will it sustain itself.

By the way would you care to enter a guess in my pool as to the percent
increase in amateur numbers in one year beginning from the date of the
implementation? Here are the rules and the current pool of guesses.

Rules:

1) Predict amount of change in ARS numbers between the IMPLEMENTATION
date of the R&O for elimination of code testing and one year from that date.
2) Calculation of the number of licenses will be done by N2EY under the
same principals that he uses now to calculate the number of licenses.
3) You must select whole numbers for your percentage.
4) You may select positive or negative percentages.
5) You may select a range but that range may not exceed a total of 4%.
Note that your average will be used to determine who is closest. If the
actual change is outside the range of everyone's guesses then the person
whose limit is closest will be the winner.
6) You must submit your guess no later than six months after the
IMPLEMENTATION date of the R&O.

Anyone else? Note if your guess doesn't show up on the list within a
week, it may mean that my ISP is blocking it or that you are on my
blocked senders list. You may still participate but you will have to have
your guess submitted by someone who is not blocked.

Guesses submitted:

N8UZE: 1% less to 1% more
N2EY: 1% more to 2% more
KH6HZ: 1% less to 0% change
N3KIP: 2% more to 6% more
KH6O: 6% more to 10% more
KK6J: 12% more to 14% more
KC2HMZ: 5% more --- Added 12/31/06

Dee, N8UZE

Old February 1st 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message
Information from within ARRL indicates that last year the ARRL VECs, whose
teams handle over 70% ov al VE sessions, per their claim (which I am not
confirming nor disputing), performed over 5,000 VE sessions (with each
session handling multiple applicants/testees).

According to the report, the average session was 5-10 applicants/testees
... (25-50k testees)

"Reservations" have now jumped to 50-75/session!!!

It appears that no-code WILL result in significant growth. (as I
predicted)

While some who want to keep our bands "to themselves" (at least until
they're reallocated for lack of/diminishing use) will bemoan this, I am
elated!

From what I've seen, the ARRL BoD is "Getting It" about the need to
welcome new hams and strongly discourage any berating/insulting/bad
treatment of them just because they didn't have to take a Morse test.
BRAVO!

I hope that ALL hams will "get with the program" and act like decent human
beings/Elmers towards the impending, apparently significant influx of
newcomers.

Treat them right and they will assimilate - treat the crappy and you'll
regret it in the long run.

73,
Carl - wk3c

comittee dear me does he wish his efforts to fail

Old February 1st 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Bob Brock" wrote in message
.. .

"Bob Brock" wrote in message
.. .

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
ink.net...
wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:03?pm, "Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:
Information from within ARRL indicates that last year the ARRL VECs,
whose
teams handle over 70% ov al VE sessions, per their claim (which I am
not
confirming nor disputing), performed over 5,000 VE sessions (with each
session handling multiple applicants/testees).

According to the report, the average session was 5-10
applicants/testees ...
(25-50k testees)

"Reservations" have now jumped to 50-75/session!!!

That's excellent!
It appears that no-code WILL result in significant growth. (as I
predicted)

Well, maybe.

W3GEG told me that this past week's VE session in Morgantown resulted in
five fellows who took and passed Morse Code exams in obtaining their new
licenses. I seem to recall that you'd commented some time ago that some
people might want to take such an exam before the elimination of Morse
testing.

I'm still waiting...so I guess he's right.

My bad. I was reading pretty quickly and posted some nonsense. My
apology.

Bob

with the punce gotcha he wonders
why I simple don't bother to ty impoving my spelling do u hav anyting
cognet two say?
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

Old February 1st 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 1, 12:49�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yep, that's right.

In fact Carl, WK3C, was a major contributor to a local radio club
prize for the *last* person in the club to pass Element 1.
(See his earlier posting at the start of a different thread for
details.)

---

Hopefully, the upcoming changes to the license requirements will
result in a new era of long-term growth in amateur radio, as has been
repeatedly predicted and promised by many of those in favor of the
changes.

But what if it doesn't?

73 es KC de Jim, N2EY

Old February 2nd 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
[...]

A question might be "what are you going to do to insure that it doesn't?
(Not you specifically)

My group is already working to make sure that the new folks don't
feel shunned, and in recognition that many of the new folks will be
inexperienced as compared to years past, we plan on some pretty
extensive Elmering. It should be great fun.

One possible fly in the ointment is that just as there are Hams who
wouldn't upgrade to Extra because their advanced license proved they
took a higher speed code test, there are some who will probably do all
they can to have their dire predictions be a self fulfilling prophecy.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Why the caste system? was: NCVEC files license restructuringdepends N2EY Policy 25 April 3rd 04 08:28 PM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st Dwight Stewart Policy 300 August 12th 03 12:25 AM