Old February 3rd 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Will there be post-NoCode exams?

Phil queried:
I would like to take code exams even if they are
not required by the FCC.

Will VEs continue to conduct code exams and
perhaps offer wpm level certificates?

Kudos to you for wanting to do so. ARRL's station W1AW sends Morse practice
daily. There's a monthly "Qualifying Run" that you can copy, send your
results to ARRL, and (if 100% correct for = 1 minute) receive a certificate
in return. If you have difficulty hearing W1AW from CT and you're on the
"left coast", you may be able to hear K6YR better (Qualifying Runs only).
There are also sound files online for practice. Details are he
http://www.arrl.org/w1aw.html

Stephan suggested that VEs could additionally offer optional Morse
certification at license testing sessions. What a great idea -- especially
for those w/o the capability to receive the transmissions! ARRL, are you
listening?

73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old February 3rd 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Bryan" wrote in message
[...]

They are already investigating this. I've received several emails over the
last week or so.

Dee, N8UZE

Old February 3rd 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Bryan wrote:
There's a monthly "Qualifying Run" that you can copy, send your
results to ARRL, and (if 100% correct for = 1 minute) receive
a certificate in return.

What does one do with such a certificate?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old February 3rd 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 2, 9:54 am, "KH6HZ" wrote:
extremely doubtful

I suspect other organizations, like FISTS, may step up to the plate and
offer some type of competency certificates, if you're really interested in
such things.

Despite what you read here, from a few embittered people who feel the code
exam "persecuted" them, most hams on the airwaves really don't care if you
passed a 5, 13, or 20wpm code test or not.

Why? Well, if I CQ in morse code on a frequency at 25wpm, and you respond,
and we have a nice conversation -- does it really matter if you "passed" a
20wpm code test or not?

73
kh6hz

My ARRL Division is exploring bringing the "qualifying runs" to a
local venue. I don't know if they will run them concurrently with
License Exams, don't care. It will probably be a means for long time
hams to validate themselves into thinking they are still hams...

Old February 3rd 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:

My ARRL Division is exploring bringing the "qualifying runs" to a
local venue. I don't know if they will run them concurrently with
License Exams, don't care. It will probably be a means for long time
hams to validate themselves into thinking they are still hams...

If I'm not mistaken, the ARRL has offered similar certificates for years.
Not locally, but via mail (i.e. you copy 1 minute of code at X WPM and you
get a certificate from the League). Not sure if other organizations like
FISTS do something similar or not.

I can't imagine for the life of me why you would have an issue with that. In
a sense, it is little different than contesting... WAS, for instance.

Perhaps it is the choice of operating mode that offends you for some reason?

Would it be more to your liking if the ARRL had "FM competency certificates"
where people had to copy a solid minute of a voice transmission and mail it
in the to the League?

Old February 3rd 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
news
Bryan wrote:
There's a monthly "Qualifying Run" that you can copy, send your
results to ARRL, and (if 100% correct for = 1 minute) receive a
certificate in return.

What does one do with such a certificate?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

I keep it in a 3 ring binder with my special events certificate myself. At
the time that I took my 5wpm and 13wpm tests, I was dissatisfied with my
copy even though I passed. For my personal satisfaction, I worked for the
Code Proficiency Certificate and received one for 10wpm with an endorsement
for 15wpm.

Dee, N8UZE

Old February 3rd 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
I keep it in a 3 ring binder with my special events certificate myself. At
the time that I took my 5wpm and 13wpm tests, I was dissatisfied with my
copy even though I passed. For my personal satisfaction, I worked for the
Code Proficiency Certificate and received one for 10wpm with an endorsement
for 15wpm.

So that's why my parents retrieved my BS university diploma
and hung it on their wall after I tossed it in the trash. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old February 3rd 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 3, 5:39�am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Bryan wrote:
There's a monthly "Qualifying Run" that you can copy, send your
results to ARRL, and (if 100% correct for = 1 minute) receive
a certificate in return.

What does one do with such a certificate?
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

Easy answer: Pick up a nice frame at K-Mart, mount
the certificate in it, put it on the wall, invite "friends and
neighbors" over to admire it! :-)

LA

Old February 3rd 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 3, 9:26�am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:
I keep it in a 3 ring binder with my special events certificate myself. *At
the time that I took my 5wpm and 13wpm tests, I was dissatisfied with my
copy even though I passed. *For my personal satisfaction, I worked for the
Code Proficiency Certificate and received one for 10wpm with an endorsement
for 15wpm.

So that's why my parents retrieved my BS university diploma
and hung it on their wall after I tossed it in the trash. :-)
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

One reason for inventing newsgroups was a trash-bin
equivalent for all the "BS" to be tossed. QED. :-)

LA

You don't need any more proof. Slow Code General 1 November 30th 06 02:21 AM
YOU PUNCED MarQueerMyDear Swap 0 November 25th 06 08:04 AM
THOUSANDS THROUGH THE MAIL!! [email protected] CB 1 February 1st 05 11:27 PM
I made a lot of money doing this! Nothing to lose! [email protected] Antenna 0 January 25th 05 07:15 PM
BATLABS possible stolen motorola radio post private General 0 December 13th 03 03:46 AM