Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 27th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 168
Default What are we doing to welcome newcomers?

Carl Stevenson wrote in another thread:

Clearly, welcoming newcomers to our ranks is something that we need to
do if we want ham radio to survive into the future. If newcomers are
shunned, the future of ham radio will be dismal.


Hey Carl,

Our club is taking on a effort to get the new folk up to speed in matters
relevent to Amateur Radio.

We're having classes, projects and general mentoring for them. We've
recently enjoyed a rush of newbies who want to do stuff, and we're going
to run with it as the new folk come on board.

One of the by-products of the new testing regimen is that there will
almost certainly be New people, even at the Extra level, who have not
ever operated a radio. This could have even happened with the 2000
restructuring. But one thing that the old system did was made it more
likely that a person would have a lot of experience before becoming an
Extra.

What the new guys and gals will need is a lot of Elmering time. No
Problem. We're planning on having classes in basic techniques, some
antenna classes, and even "how to ooperate that HF rig".

Everyone has to start somewhere. If they come into the fold with a lot of
experience - great! If not, we're going to be there to help them get it.

If this project works out, maybe I'll write a little something for
QST about it.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

  #2   Report Post  
Old February 27th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
Default What are we doing to welcome newcomers?


Mike Coslo wrote:

...
If this project works out, maybe I'll write a little something for
QST about it.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -


Yeah, tough stuff alright.

How about handing 'em a crayon and a piece of paper, have 'em draw a
rig first.

Then, hook two styrofoam cups together with a string, have 'em chat
with one another.

Next, have 'em build a model of an antenna with coat hangers.

....

JS

  #3   Report Post  
Old February 27th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,027
Default What are we doing to welcome newcomers?

On Feb 26, 5:19�pm, wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:
...
* * * * * *If this project works out, maybe I'll write a little something for
QST about it.


* * * * * *- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -


Yeah, tough stuff alright.

How about handing 'em a crayon and a piece of paper, have 'em draw a
rig first.

Then, hook two styrofoam cups together with a string, have 'em chat
with one another.

Next, have 'em build a model of an antenna with coat hangers.


ROFL!!! :-)

Ahem...two HARD-PLASTIC containers such as Emerald-
brand nuts. The "elmers" can get their nuts off (the
containers) and help with the string... [support California
tree fruit]

But, siriusly speaking, NOTHING has been said about
GETTING OUTSIDERS *in* THE CLUB in the first place.

THAT is the first step. Nobody seems to have done
anything about that very important FIRST STEP.
Muy importante, that.

73, LA

  #4   Report Post  
Old February 27th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
Default What are we doing to welcome newcomers?

On Feb 26, 6:07 pm, "
wrote:
On Feb 26, 5:19?pm, wrote:



Mike Coslo wrote:
...
? ? ? ? ? ?If this project works out, maybe I'll write a little something for
QST about it.


? ? ? ? ? ?- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -


Yeah, tough stuff alright.


How about handing 'em a crayon and a piece of paper, have 'em draw a
rig first.


Then, hook two styrofoam cups together with a string, have 'em chat
with one another.


Next, have 'em build a model of an antenna with coat hangers.


ROFL!!! :-)
...


Len:

DON'T LAUGH!

I was just a gittin' to the part of grabbin' up their wallet and
ordering the gear, coax and antenna off the net, or ebay. Following
the manuals and gittin' the rig on the air.

However, all the previous takes for granted the licensee can read, and
didn't qualify under some hidden illegal alien clause which gives 'em
a ticket with their green card.

Regards,
JS






Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," accordingto CDC Dave Heil Policy 33 December 30th 06 11:50 PM
FOR ALL THE OLDTIMERS AND THE NEWCOMERS Who Dat? CB 26 May 21st 06 08:00 PM
KB3EIA proposal Mike Coslo Policy 22 February 14th 04 03:11 AM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 02:28 PM
Now That It's "Over"... Steve Robeson, K4CAP Policy 426 July 29th 03 06:49 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017