Old April 1st 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default The Changing Operating Classes

"Dloyd Lavies" wrote:

In today's world it is harder
to get kids or young adults interested without being viewed as some
type of nostalgia buff grasping at some old outdated technology.

I simply do not see it happening. Radio simply isn't "sexy" compared to a
lot of other readily-available technology items these days.

Unlike Dee, I suspect the rate of decline in the ARS will be fairly
consistent while the "honey-do" hams are weeded out. Once that happens, I
still believe the ARS will see a continued decline, simply at a lower rate.
However, the decline will be there.

At some point, far, far in the future, the numbers may stabilize, but I
think they'll be a shadow of their current selves.

73
kh6hz

Old April 1st 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

KH6HZ wrote:

I simply do not see it happening. Radio simply isn't "sexy" compared to a
lot of other readily-available technology items these days.
73
kh6hz

Ever think the reason might be the people and their attitudes?

JS
Old April 1st 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"John Smith I" wrote:

I simply do not see it happening. Radio simply isn't "sexy" compared to a
lot of other readily-available technology items these days.

Ever think the reason might be the people and their attitudes?

Nope. In the 15 years I've been licensed -- and the 25 years I've been
"around" ham radio and ham radio operators, I've never encountered an
"attitude" other than a common interest in radio. -- just as my interest in
radio started when I dug out a Zenith TransOceanic out of my parent's
basement many, many years ago and used it to listen to various shortwave
broadcasts.

Ham radio is like all walks of life. Just as there are a myriad of people in
ham radio, there are a myriad of attitudes. There are 650,000+ opinions in
ham radio, just like there are 650,000+ assholes.

Should I base my belief on what ham radio is 'all about' on the postings of
Mark Morgan? Or Roger Wiseman?

The answer is no. Instead, I think of those as 'statistical outliers' and
discard them as flukes.

Old April 2nd 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

KH6HZ wrote:

Nope. In the 15 years I've been licensed -- and the 25 years I've been
"around" ham radio and ham radio operators, I've never encountered an
"attitude" other than a common interest in radio. -- just as my interest in

Interesting! Then look around. The boy scouts aren't even what they
used to be; pressures from gay proponents were able to achieve that,
sorry thing ...

Even interest in the masons (moose lodge, etc.) has died. That isn't
because boys and girls (and grown ones at that!) have lost interest and
tire of playing "secret clubs." It is because the exclusive rich
dominate the organizations and are VERY picky. (why are the rich so
stupid, self-centered and repugnant?--that is the question :-( )

No one wants to be a republican anymore--the republicans just aren't
what they used to be (nor are they what they claim to be today!)

And, exactly the above applies to the democrats. Now you only have one
party--the criminal greedy with designs on population control. (or,
republicrats and democans)

The world has changed and control freaks are in control. To borrow a
term from the 1960's, "Time to tune in, turn on and drop out!"

My father finally became registered as independent--I am registered as
"politically non-existent!" I'd be slow to join the Catholic
Church--well, if I wasn't already a member 8-)

No, the people of ANY organization are the organization, if something is
wrong with the organization ... well, you know the rest of the story ...

JS
Old April 2nd 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"John Smith I" wrote:

Interesting! Then look around. The boy scouts aren't even what they used
to be; pressures from gay proponents were able to achieve that, sorry
thing ...

Over the years I've seen a decline in virtually all "club" related
activities. I, myself, have "cut back" on club activities -- I no longer
attend ham radio club meetings (although, that may change in another 2
months) -- simply because the demands of life dictate that I have less
leisure time to engage in such pursuits, much the same way the arrival of my
3rd child dictated I spend less time on ham radio 6 years ago.

Even interest in the masons (moose lodge, etc.) has died. That isn't
because boys and girls (and grown ones at that!) have lost interest and
tire of playing "secret clubs." It is because the exclusive rich dominate
the organizations and are VERY picky. (why are the rich so stupid,
self-centered and repugnant?--that is the question :-( )

I wasn't aware the Masons were a picky bunch. I know they have a set of
"morality" rules that transcend religious boundaries which they expect their
members to adhere to. I didn't think there was a minimum income limit on
becoming a member. I heard they put prospective members thru a fairly
rigorous vetting process.

If interest in groups like the Masons is declining, I suspect it is more due
to the way society is redefining itself. A benefit of being a Mason was you
were a member of a fraternity, and always had a group of people to turn to,
no matter where you were, for assistance. You could walk into a Mason's hall
1/2 a world away, and while you might not understand the language spoken by
the occupants, you would still feel at home.

Today, the world has "shrunk". Travel to Europe or Asia isn't the ordeal it
was 30 years ago. Stranded in the middle of Montana? Not really, as long as
you're in range of a cell tower... or, if not, have your trust satellite
phone with you.

What I suspect you may see, if in fact the "rich" (as you claim) inhabit
these types of organizations, is simply the fact the "rich" have more
leisure time, and thus, can participate in these activities, moreso than the
poor SOB who has to bust his hump 12 hour a day.

It has often been said that ham radio is a old affluent white man's hobby.
There is some truth to that claim. Why? Historically, older men and more
affluent men are more established (which means the greater potential for
leisure time), and more likely to own property (for antenna farms). As
social demographics change I suspect likewise we will see a shift in amateur
radio.

No... if there are any "attitudes" in ham radio, it is because the people
who think such an "attitude" exists are actively looking for one, and will
find one, regardless of whether or not one actually exists or not. Much the
same way people who want to see UFOs often end up witnessing one.

Old April 3rd 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

KH6HZ wrote:

[a lot]

Let's cut to the chase, you can attempt a lot of solutions, your results
will vary according to the/those solution(s) you attempt.

However, you WILL KNOW when you have the right one! It'll be quite
obvious, really! :-|

JS

licence classes MAc Homebrew 1 February 21st 07 09:47 PM
Changing partners Big Peter General 0 February 6th 07 08:02 PM
All Amateur License Classes Hot Guy General 8 December 29th 06 08:24 PM
Please help about changing X3 crystal in Cobra 148 GTL Diego Cueva Equipment 1 August 2nd 06 07:12 PM
Changing The Tune Of Radio Mike Terry Broadcasting 0 June 12th 05 07:05 AM