RadioBanter

-   -   ARS License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26575-re-ars-license-numbers.html)

Mike Coslo July 17th 03 02:38 PM

Dick Carroll wrote:

"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

"Vshah101" wrote in message

Some Hams will take a day off for a Hamfest that is on Friday and

Saturday.

That takes one day away that could be used for a real vacation day. Just

go

Saturday - you won't miss anything. Also, lets not schedule Hamfests and

other

Ham Radio events during people's free social time, as Hams often do.

That's the only time available to schedule. You can't schedule during work
time or not enough people will be able to come.

When it comes to ham radio, Vipul has virtually everything bassackwards. I sure
home he isn't so consigned in everything he does, or he's in for serious difficulty
in life.

He be a troll. I can't imagine anyone really thinks like that.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Carl R. Stevenson July 17th 03 04:09 PM

From: "Carl R. Stevenson"

Still slower growth than desirable by a long shot ...

I'd like to get some of my friends licensed and use it for utility

purposes.
Other than that, what does it matter about ARS license numbers?

Numbers = use of our spectrum = justification for keeping what we have
(and maybe getting a bit more in the future)

Numbers = political influence (also necessary to protect our spectrum)

Numbers (of younger hams) = hams that will survive longer into the
future ... with today's demographic, the sad reality is that a large
percentage of current hams will be SK in the next 10-20 years, resulting
in a major drop in our numbers unless we make ham radio more attractive
and interesting to the younger generation. To do that, we can't force the
PC/internet generation to cling to/embrace some "traditions" (such as Morse)
in which the "older generation" iks so deeply invested (in an emotional
sense).

eliminating Morse testing will help

No, it won't. The entry-level license is already code free. Eliminating

Morse
testing will not cause more people to want to join.

Many folks are interested in HF access as part of their "portfolio" of
capabilities ... the entry level license currently precludes them from
HF use ... that is a major disincentive to many.

Carl - wk3c

Scott Unit 69 July 17th 03 07:58 PM

If the trolling CBers weren't sniffing around trying to find out about me,
I would be more then happy to post a call. Until the stalkers find a life,
you guys will just have to deal with my old moniker.

Scott, I *love* it. You even used unit 69! BTW, congratulations. Now the
CBers will hate you. You've gotta go middle of the road like me (until we
get squished, like a grape!)

I need to find out if my TS-250 with SRF3800's (27 to 50 MHz) will
work on 6 meters (at a lower power output). It is very clean on SSB,
and was also tested by a ham on 10 meters. Anyone got an RCI5054 to sell?

Technician - 257,319 (increase of 51,925)

It would have been 51,922 if I hadn't dragged 2 others with me...

And #3 is waiting in the wings for the next test session.

Vshah101 July 17th 03 11:37 PM

From: "Dee D. Flint"

"Vshah101" wrote in message

Some Hams will take a day off for a Hamfest that is on Friday and

Saturday.
That takes one day away that could be used for a real vacation day. Just

go
Saturday - you won't miss anything. Also, lets not schedule Hamfests and

other
Ham Radio events during people's free social time, as Hams often do.

That's the only time available to schedule. You can't schedule during work
time or not enough people will be able to come.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee, you must of not read what I wrote. The Hamfest was on Friday and Saturday.
Friday is a work day. Several Hams took a day off to attend on Friday and
Saturday. Therefore, it was partly scheduled during work. Yet, people were able
to come.

I didn't want to be direct and was still hoping people would understand. Thats
not what I meant by free social time. I meant that hams should not be at their
radios on Saturday night. Yet, at hamfests and ham gathering events (such as
DXpeditions), hams are at their radios the whole night.

Vshah101 July 17th 03 11:45 PM

From: (Steve Robeson, K4CAP)

Calling "contesting" competition is offensive..?!?!
You have teams of Amateurs trying to beat other teams scores...

Its competetive. Things is hams don't like other kinds of competitions, such as
radio direction finding. Hams stay with their activities.

From: "Carl R. Stevenson"

Numbers = use of our spectrum = justification for keeping what we have
(and maybe getting a bit more in the future)

Don't forget, having more activities, rather than fewer also helps. More growth
in homebrewing, tuning, direction finding, emergency communications, APRS, etc.

N2EY July 18th 03 01:21 AM

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

(Vipul wrote:)
what does it matter about ARS license numbers?

Numbers = use of our spectrum = justification for keeping what we have
(and maybe getting a bit more in the future)

Not necessarily! What really matters is how many ACTIVE hams we have, and how
active they are.

There are more US hams now than ever before. More modes, more activities,
smaller and much less expensive equipment, etc. We have about the same amount
of spectrum below 500 MHz as we had 45 years ago, when there were fewer than
half as many US hams. (WARC-79 added 250 kHz of HF in 3 bands, and we lost
220-222 MHz about a dozen years after that).

But are the bands full-to-busting with activity 24/7? Yes, it's hard to
coordinate a new repeater in some metro areas - but are all the existing ones
tied up around the clock so that we need more?

Numbers = political influence (also necessary to protect our spectrum)

Only those who are active will have influence. Back in the '60s, with about
250,000 hams and no internet or email, FCC got over 6000 comments in response
to its restructuring proposal. A few years ago, with about 675,000 hams, and
the ECFS system, FCC's restructuring proposal got less than 2300 comments. (It
is left to the reader to figure out the percentages).

Numbers (of younger hams) = hams that will survive longer into the
future ...

Only matters if they are active. I know several hams who got licenses back in
the '80s and '90s for "honeydew" purposes. Now they have cellphones. Will they
renew when the license runs out? Don't count on it.

with today's demographic,

What IS today's demographic? Do you have a reliable source?

the sad reality is that a large
percentage of current hams will be SK in the next 10-20 years, resulting
in a major drop in our numbers unless we make ham radio more attractive
and interesting to the younger generation.

Actually, the younger generation first has to know ham radio even exists.

To do that, we can't force the
PC/internet generation to cling to/embrace some "traditions" (such as Morse)
in which the "older generation" iks so deeply invested (in an emotional
sense).

How do you know, Carl?

From 1996 to 2001, I did Field Day with a local group of clubs at a local park.
Location was chosen for visibility to the non-ham public. Lots of young people
came through, asked lots of questions, took lots of literature. The computers
and voice operation got a passing glance from most of 'em. But they were almost
universally fascinated by the CW tent, where I and a few others held forth,
with one ham operating while another explained and translated.

This was not an isolated occurrence - it happened again and again. The fact
that we were making CW contacts faster and with less effort than the 'phone
folks was not lost on the visitors, either.

eliminating Morse testing will help

No, it won't. The entry-level license is already code free. Eliminating
Morse testing will not cause more people to want to join.

Yup. The real problem is things like lack of publicity.

omigawd, I'm agreeing with Vipul!

Many folks are interested in HF access as part of their "portfolio" of
capabilities ... the entry level license currently precludes them from
HF use ... that is a major disincentive to many.

I disagree 100%, but let's put that aside for a moment.

Suppose tomorrow morning, next week or next month, by some method or another,
FCC just dumps Element 1 and merges the Tech and Tech Plus licenses. The
entry-level license will then have some HF access, consisting of little CW-only
slivers of 80, 40 and 15 meters, plus a slightly bigger chunk of 10 meters with
SSB and CW. All with a power limitation. Above 30 MHz, though, the entry level
license has all privileges. Is that really the best arrangement? Will the
removal of Element 1 fix that alleged disincentive problem?

Or are other changes needed?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo July 18th 03 02:02 AM

From: "Dee D. Flint"

"Vshah101" wrote in message

[...]

Good grief, what should they be doing on Saturday night? I have a
social life also, but no one is dictating what night I'm socializing.

I would say that people shouldn't be spending all their weekends partying.

Yet, at hamfests and ham gathering events (such as
DXpeditions), hams are at their radios the whole night.

And this is bad, why? I rather enjoy the late shift at field day.
Doesn't do me any harm, but for a bit of sleep lost.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 18th 03 02:06 AM

From: (Steve Robeson, K4CAP)

Calling "contesting" competition is offensive..?!?!
You have teams of Amateurs trying to beat other teams scores...

Its competetive. Things is hams don't like other kinds of competitions, such as
radio direction finding. Hams stay with their activities.

You are simply WRONG. I love contesting, and I also still play sports.
I'm quite competitive.

Oh, and I do RDF too.

Why do you perpetuate this strange stereotype?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Steve Robeson, K4CAP July 18th 03 03:56 AM

(Vshah101) wrote in message ...
From:
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP)

Calling "contesting" competition is offensive..?!?!
You have teams of Amateurs trying to beat other teams scores...

Its competetive. Things is hams don't like other kinds of competitions, such as
radio direction finding. Hams stay with their activities.

Vippy, you've already been proven wrong by more than one poster
here. WHY do you persist in insisting that Amateurs don't like RDF,
etc?

From: "Carl R. Stevenson"

Numbers = use of our spectrum = justification for keeping what we have
(and maybe getting a bit more in the future)

Don't forget, having more activities, rather than fewer also helps. More growth
in homebrewing, tuning, direction finding, emergency communications, APRS, etc.

Again, it has already been proven that the things you insist don't
happen DO happen. Why do you insist that they don't?

Steve, K4YZ

Vshah101 July 18th 03 04:34 AM

From: (Steve Robeson, K4CAP)

Don't forget, having more activities, rather than fewer also helps. More

growth
in homebrewing, tuning, direction finding, emergency communications, APRS,

etc.

Again, it has already been proven that the things you insist don't
happen DO happen. Why do you insist that they don't?

They don't happen to me. Doesn't happen in the four closest clubs to me, at
Hamfests in MA, NH, CT. Doesn't happen despite my best efforts to search for
such activities. Its not what Hams are interested in.