RadioBanter

-   -   ARS License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26575-re-ars-license-numbers.html)

Kim W5TIT August 20th 03 12:56 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

If those with your views continue to deride modern Ham Radio, perhaps

even
less then 2 percent. Those changes are part of Ham Radio today. If you
belittle those changes, you belittle today's Ham Radio.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

Dwight:

Belittling ham radio? Moi??? Hmmm, you may have a point there. Now
that ham radio licensing requirements in the U.S. have been reduced to
insignificance, and are about to be made a whole lot less significant when
code testing is abolished, I guess one could make the point that there is
a lot "belittleable" about ham radio these days! We are about to start
the first "generation" of hams who have never been bothered to learn the
Morse code, and will never know the benefits and advantages of the
Morse/CW mode from personal operational experience. Now THERE's
a perfect example of something that would inspire one to "belittle"
ham radio, indeed!

73 de Larry, K3LT

I wonder if you realize how incessant your whining is...

Kim W5TIT

Larry Roll K3LT August 20th 03 03:54 AM

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Disclaimer: "LU3LT" is not my real callsign. In fact, it isn't anyone's
real callsign!

Larry,

You're just going to have to be less pampas.

Dave K8MN

Dave:

Perhaps Dwight knew what he was talking about. Pampas grass is
pretty nasty stuff, and perhaps, he was insinuating the same about
me. How charming.

http://www.nps.gov/redw/pampas.htm

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT August 20th 03 03:54 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

I wonder if you realize how incessant your whining is...

Kim W5TIT

As usual, Kim, you stole the words right out from under my fingertips!
What I'd like to know is, when are you going to even make an attempt
to come up with an original thought?

73 de Larry, K3LT

Vshah101 August 20th 03 04:00 AM

From: (Steve Robeson, K4CAP)

Those "societies" are professional organization, Vippy. Hardly
relevent to the Amateur Radio service.

Thats right. RF people would benefit by knowing people that are also interested
in rf circuits. They would soon find that out that Hams are not interested in
that if they went to a few club meetings. So, someone specializing in rf
electronics would not benefit from association with Hams.

WA8ULX August 20th 03 05:53 AM

sniped of no value
Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

Dwight Stewart August 20th 03 06:06 AM

"WA8ULX" wrote:

Cry Whinner CRY. All you CBplussers have left,
is your useless attempts to try and Justify
your Welfare Status as Hams. All we want to
be is an Equal to you real Hams, seems to be
all you guys can come up with. Guess what
Dwight, it will never happen.You guys have got
what you wanted a Dumb Down Service with no
effort required. So stop your Damn Whinning
and get to the back of the Bus where you
belong.

If you and Larry are examples of what a real ham is, then I have no
problem with being considered something else. And, observing your rudeness
and demonstrated ignorance, I have no desire to be your equal. Finally, I
don't ride on a bus - there are too many like Larry driving them and too
many like you riding as passengers.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Dwight Stewart August 20th 03 06:45 AM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote:

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote:

Belittling ham radio? Moi??? Hmmm, you may
have a point there. Now that ham radio
licensing requirements in the U.S. have been
reduced to insignificance, (snip)

I wonder if you realize how incessant your
whining is...

At this point, I don't think Larry can think of anything else, Kim. I've
been reading his negative garbage for four or five years now. The same
subjects (code, licensing requirements, and newer hams) are almost always
the focus of his messages and those messages are almost always filled with
delusions about his own self-importance and insults towards others.

I don't know if Larry thinks he's being funny or if he really believes the
hatred he spews. Whatever the case, I'm getting real darn tired of it. If he
continues with ridicule that includes me as a target, I'm not going to
continue to sit back and say nothing.

If the majority of respondents in this newsgroup side with him, making him
the de facto spokesperson for ham radio and the higher license classes, then
perhaps this isn't an activity I wish to continue participating in.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Kim W5TIT August 20th 03 09:54 AM

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
"Kim W5TIT" wrote:

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote:

[...]

Oh goodness, Dwight! That's a lot said right there. BUT, it's *in spite
of* the likes of Larry that I like being in the hobby/service of ham radio.
And, believe me, Larry really believes what he is saying. He's a desperate,
lonely, little man--and his delusions are all he's got.

Oh, and by the way. Look real close at who is actually communicating with
him on an intellectual level. Nada. Zip. There are people in this
newsgroup who get communicated with, and there are people in this newsgroup
who get communicated to. Larry is in the latter. For all the times I've
****ed people off, across the board, there are still times when threads have
been maintained for a good length of time that involved intellectual debate.
Same for you. Same for any of us "antagonizers" as we are affectionately
called.

But, not for Larry, not for a couple of others. Larry isn't "spewing"
anything that sticks; his kind of logic and reasoning are quite in the
minority in ham radio.

Kim W5TIT

N2EY August 20th 03 11:07 PM

Dwight Stewart wrote in message ...
"WA3IYC" wrote:

That 52,990 "increase" is not all new license
issues. (snip)

(snip) How "code proficient" any amateur is
cannot be determined from license class alone.

Of course, Jim. I clearly stated my numbers were a "rough estimate."

What I was getting at is that a test is just one data point. There are
hams who passed 20 per once-upon-a-time who would be hard pressed to
pass Element 1 today. And there are hams whose testing never exceeded
5 wpm who have gone far beyond 20 wpm. Etc.

And the same thing applies to the writtens.

They're all just one data point, often decades old.

The important point is that the number of US hams
is growing at a slow rate. Restructuring did not
result in a big change in growth. (snip)

True. However, to make something out of that, one has to eliminate all
factors outside restructuring.

Agreed! There are all sorts of factors - cost of equipment, antenna
restrictions, RFI concerns, even competing radio services. Not too
many years ago, it was common to encounter hams who had gotten
licenses for the express purpose of "honeydew" communications. Today
almost all of them have cellphones.

In my last message, I hinted at factors such
as the attitude of current operators towards those new to ham radio.

I hope you mean "the attitude of *some* current operators...."

Today's
new operator faces more ridicule and harassment than perhaps any new
operator in the history of this activity.

I don't know about that. Around here, and everywhere else I've lived
since becoming a ham 36 years ago, newcomers of all ages, sizes,
genders, ethnicities, etc., are welcomed and encouraged, as a general
rule.

Yes, there are a few sourpusses with negative addytoods. They've been
around forever. I can recall comments that Novices were "not real
hams" and that my homebrew CW rigs were "not real radios", etc., etc.,
ad infinitum. Ol' W2OY was well known for his misanthropic "no kids,
no lids, no space cadets" tirades. Oddly enough, most of those folks
are not hams anymore, but I am. bwaahaahaa....

If you look for and listen to the naysayers and sourpusses, it just
encourages them.

And lets face it, that new
operator is not likely going to invite friends or family members to join
after an negative exchange with Larry in this newsgroup (or someone like him
here or elsewhere).

Sure.

But are folks like that the rule or the exception?

Clearly, the attitude of current operators has a role to
play in the lackluster growth of ham radio today, perhaps even far more than
restructuring at this point.

True - but consider also the attitudes expressed by a very few
newcomers towards experienced amateurs. Should we welcome a newcomer
who says all hams are fat and that no EE with self-respect would use
Morse code? How about one who insults others' employment, technical
knowledge, education, ethnicity, appearance, age, and name?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Larry Roll K3LT August 21st 03 03:58 AM

In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

I don't know if Larry thinks he's being funny or if he really believes the
hatred he spews. Whatever the case, I'm getting real darn tired of it. If he
continues with ridicule that includes me as a target, I'm not going to
continue to sit back and say nothing.

Dwight:

By all means, feel free to say something about it. We're waiting...

If the majority of respondents in this newsgroup side with him, making him
the de facto spokesperson for ham radio and the higher license classes, then
perhaps this isn't an activity I wish to continue participating in.

Hey, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out!

73 de Larry, K3LT