RadioBanter

-   -   ARS License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26575-re-ars-license-numbers.html)

Dee D. Flint August 17th 03 11:18 PM

"Vshah101" wrote in message
From Larry, K3LT

I regret to inform you that "Restructuring" the US Amateur Radio

Service's
licensing system, to reduce the code testing speed to 5 WPM for General
and Extra class, in addition to the existing No-Code Technician-class
license, has resulted in a whopping 1.79 percent growth rate in the ARS
overall! What do you suppose we're gonna get from No-Code HF? Maybe
2 percent?

The base of EEs can be expanded. You can get more EE from the rf

specialty.
Not all EEs have an interest in that specialty. But, from those that do,
amateur radio could be a good hobby.

Amateur radio is not an EE friendly hobby. Those that like to build

circuits
are not welcomed as those that want to learn Morse code, contest, or work

DX.
EEs that are put off by Hams don't join the hobby.

You keep putting out this misinformation. I know of no one who has not been
welcomed into ham radio. Everyone is welcom. As far as building circuits,
again everyone is welcome. When someone in our club mentions that they are
building something, others ask about the progress of the project and help if
needed.

As, I have noted before, the quality of rf courses could be improved with

ARRL
publications. The projects have real, rather than just textbook

applications.
This is not being currently done in most colleges.

Secondly, EEs are not joining amateur radio clubs. Some Profs that teach

rf
courses that I took do not have amateur radio licenses. People in the rf

field
are not attending club meetings.

It is not the business of a university or college to promote ham radio. The
university will have no higher percentage of hams than the general
population. Unless one is or wants to become a ham, there is no need for
someone to attend ham club meetings. There is no requirement that EE
professors be hams or need for them to be so.

The ARRL should make more efforts in this area. This would increase the

number
of people in the hobby. Also, there is a strong connection between EE and
amateur radio that is not being realized.

As with any organization, the ARRL has limited resources. They must pick
and choose where to apply those resources. Recruiting new hams is something
that can be done easily and cheaply by individual hams via word of mouth if
they choose. It would be much more costly for the ARRL to try to do that
recruiting as they would need to purchase advertising on TV, radio, and in
the magazines and send recruiters out on lecture circuits to schools of all
levels. They just can't do it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Larry Roll K3LT August 18th 03 04:01 AM

In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

If those with your views continue to deride modern Ham Radio, perhaps even
less then 2 percent. Those changes are part of Ham Radio today. If you
belittle those changes, you belittle today's Ham Radio.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

Dwight:

Belittling ham radio? Moi??? Hmmm, you may have a point there. Now
that ham radio licensing requirements in the U.S. have been reduced to
insignificance, and are about to be made a whole lot less significant when
code testing is abolished, I guess one could make the point that there is
a lot "belittleable" about ham radio these days! We are about to start
the first "generation" of hams who have never been bothered to learn the
Morse code, and will never know the benefits and advantages of the
Morse/CW mode from personal operational experience. Now THERE's
a perfect example of something that would inspire one to "belittle"
ham radio, indeed!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Dwight Stewart August 18th 03 04:11 AM

"WA3IYC" wrote:

That 52,990 "increase" is not all new license
issues. (snip)

(snip) How "code proficient" any amateur is
cannot be determined from license class alone.

Of course, Jim. I clearly stated my numbers were a "rough estimate."

The important point is that the number of US hams
is growing at a slow rate. Restructuring did not
result in a big change in growth. (snip)

True. However, to make something out of that, one has to eliminate all
factors outside restructuring. In my last message, I hinted at factors such
as the attitude of current operators towards those new to ham radio. Today's
new operator faces more ridicule and harassment than perhaps any new
operator in the history of this activity. And lets face it, that new
operator is not likely going to invite friends or family members to join
after an negative exchange with Larry in this newsgroup (or someone like him
here or elsewhere). Clearly, the attitude of current operators has a role to
play in the lackluster growth of ham radio today, perhaps even far more than
restructuring at this point.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Steve Robeson, K4CAP August 18th 03 05:50 PM

(Vshah101) wrote in message ...

Amateur radio is not an EE friendly hobby. Those that like to build circuits
are not welcomed as those that want to learn Morse code, contest, or work DX.
EEs that are put off by Hams don't join the hobby.

This is so absolutely false and rediculous as to make one wonder
what you were consuming when you wrote it, Vipul.

Secondly, EEs are not joining amateur radio clubs. Some Profs that teach rf
courses that I took do not have amateur radio licenses. People in the rf field
are not attending club meetings.

Most people who do "x" for a living generally do not do it for a
past time either, Vippy. So what?

The ARRL should make more efforts in this area. This would increase the number
of people in the hobby. Also, there is a strong connection between EE and
amateur radio that is not being realized.

How? Hit them over the head with a mallet then drag them off to
the shack?

Sheeesh.

Steve, K4YZ

Dwight Stewart August 18th 03 10:53 PM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote:

Belittling ham radio? Moi??? Hmmm, you may have
a point there. Now that ham radio licensing
requirements in the U.S. have been reduced to
insignificance, and are about to be made a whole
lot less significant when code testing is
abolished, I guess one could make the point that
there is a lot "belittleable" about ham radio
these days! We are about to start the first
"generation" of hams who have never been bothered
to learn the Morse code, and will never know the
benefits and advantages of the Morse/CW mode from
personal operational experience. Now THERE's a
perfect example of something that would inspire
one to "belittle" ham radio, indeed!

Well, if you don't like ham radio today, perhaps you should find another
hobby. Only a masochist would continue doing something that makes him or her
miserable. Ham radio is moving in a direction opposite from what you seem to
want and is not likely to move in the direction you want anytime soon. When
that happens, you either learn to live with it, walk away, or continue to be
miserable. If you choose the later, it is rather sleazy of you to take your
misery out on the new members of this activity. They didn't ask for your
negative garbage (none of us did), and this activity certainly would be far
better off without it.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

DickCarroll August 19th 03 02:53 AM

(Brian) wrote in message . com...
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) wrote in message . com...
(Vshah101) wrote in message ...

Secondly, EEs are not joining amateur radio clubs. Some Profs that teach rf
courses that I took do not have amateur radio licenses. People in the rf field
are not attending club meetings.

Most people who do "x" for a living generally do not do it for a
past time either, Vippy. So what?

From just the small sample called RRAP,

Exhibit 1: David Heil. Claims to have been a Dept. of State
Radioman.

Exhibit 2: Parson Jim. Claims to be an EE.

Exhibit 3: Barrister Phil. Claims to be an Radio attorney.

Exhibit 4: Labman Ed. Claims to be ARRL Lab Manager.

Exhibit 5: 1000' tall Alien Ed. Claims to be an EE.

Exhibit 6: Machine Gun Kelly. Claims to be some kind of an Engineer,
mainly in rubberband technologies.

But, as Heil, Jim, Kelly, and you continually point out, doing it for
a living, i.e., professionally, has absolutely nothing to do with
doing it amateurishly, i.e., without compensation.

Well, that's a few percent of all posters to rrap.

Evidently you thught you had a point but discovered you were still wearing
it as headgear.

Ryan, KC8PMX August 19th 03 05:11 AM

Wrong..... All the arrl needs to do is create the PSA's and distribute them
to the various radio and/or television stations.
Commercial radio and television stations are REQUIRED to air a certain
amount of PSA announcements per day and being a non-profit, allegedly
service-based organization, that would definitely fit the bill. The only
cost involved is the creation of the tapes, and the distribution thereof.

As with any organization, the ARRL has limited resources. They must pick
and choose where to apply those resources. Recruiting new hams is

something
that can be done easily and cheaply by individual hams via word of mouth

if
they choose.

Aparently that has not worked like it should...... If the word of mouth
thing really worked, we have better numbers to have N2EY to post each month!
After all, how many times can we hit up our friends and relatives??

It would be much more costly for the ARRL to try to do that
recruiting as they would need to purchase advertising on TV, radio, and in
the magazines and send recruiters out on lecture circuits to schools of

all
levels. They just can't do it.

As far as sending out "recruiters," where the hell is this all-fired
important field organization?? Apparently there is a decent enough amount
of people that could direct people/groups to work on presentations! I
worked out a wonderful Powerpoint presentation to take to the schools and
tried and tried to get at least ONE person to assist me in going to the
30-40 schools just in my county alone! Not one person would help. I don't
have a ton of stuff along the lines of equipment to "impress upon" some of
these students so I wanted to enlist the help of others. My goal was to
attract ONE person from each school (not a huge effort) each year with this
plan. What really boiled my ass in all of this, was that to get information
regarding the ARRL (their brochures) was going to cost me a bunch of cash.
What the hell do these people pay dues for? Apparently the ARRL does not
have to justify where the money goes, although they allege to spend it in
the defense of amateur radio. I have asked in the past (as a possible
condition of choosing to be a member or not) as to where in DC the money
goes, and so far, still have not heard anything. Still have yet to see
proof that the ARRL is nothing more than an expensive subscription to a
magazine. (I do however think QST is a decent magazine, not the best, but
pretty good.)

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Ryan, KC8PMX August 19th 03 05:12 AM

Probably a little growth initially, but it will flatten back out to where it
is now is my guess Jim.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

The important point is that the number of US hams is growing at a slow

rate.
Restructuring did not result in a big change in growth. If Element 1 is
dropped, it will be interesting to see if there is any significant

increase in
growth.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Ryan, KC8PMX August 19th 03 05:14 AM

In addition to my other response to this particular message is, "A good
defense is a good offense." This can be read into as if something is
promoted more in a positive light, to educate the public, then less effort
is needed to defend it.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

From Larry, K3LT

Steve Robeson, K4CAP August 19th 03 01:41 PM

(Vshah101) wrote in message ...
From:
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP)

Some Profs that teach rf
courses that I took do not have amateur radio licenses.

Most people who do "x" for a living generally do not do it for a
past time either, Vippy. So what?

Some EE got interested from building kits as a hobby and then decided to get an
EE degree. Most EEs like to build circuits for fun. They enjoy that.

And they are certainly welcome to do exactly that, with or
without an Amatuer Radio license.

Many Profs or working EEs belong to the IEEE section of their field. For
example If they are in the rf field, they would be a member of the microwave
techniques society.

Those "societies" are professional organization, Vippy. Hardly
relevent to the Amateur Radio service.

In other words, you would be a part of the organizations and associations
related to your field. If you are a professor or a person working in the rf
field, it seems logical and likely you would get an amateur radio license.

Which STILL does not, in any way, shape of form, make any sense
of your assertion that EE's are "turned away" from Amatuer Radio. I
know of at least 15 people who are EE's (two holding doctorates) who
are Amateurs.

I know a few Profs that teach rf courses. An antenna theory Prof has also
worked in industry doing rf antenna work. This Prof does NOT have an amateur
radio license. Also, another Prof that teaches microwave circuits do not have
an amateur radio license.

And your "Prof" is not in this forum or insisting that he be
granted an Amateur license based solely upon his status as an
instructor, either...

You STILL have not answered the question, Vippy...SO WHAT...?!?!?

That points to the lack of relavance of amateur radio to people in the rf
specialization.

No more than my lack of membership in the NRA "proves" that I am
not interested in firearms. I can still hit a target in the black
from 800 meters and am not a member of the NRA..So what?

The ARRL should make more efforts in this area. This would increase the

number
of people in the hobby. Also, there is a strong connection between EE and
amateur radio that is not being realized.

How? Hit them over the head with a mallet then drag them off to
the shack?

One idea is to expand the ARRL courses available now (such as antenna
modelling). More publicity on these courses as useful to industry would help as
well. It would show that people that took these courses have certain skills
that could be useful in industry.

These courses aer well distributed and made available to anyone
who cares to use them.

They are, however, written for NON-TECHNICALLY educated folks who
want to LEARN the basics...NOT for professional engineers.

Sleep.

Please do. Maybe you'll wake up a bit more alert and responsible
when you do.

Steve, K4YZ