Old July 11th 03, 03:43 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message

It is a plain fact that future hams who do not face a code tesing

requirement
for licensing are going to be less capable communicators than myself and
others who did. The only thing that got me into the use of the Morse/CW
mode was the requirement to learn it. It made me a better ham in every
respect. The New Age non-code tested hams will be inferior for the lack

of
this requirement.

So, it's your blatant disregard for the possibility that "future hams" will
be quite interested in CW and will learn the mode just because they *WANTED*
to and not because it was required? You didn't learn CW because you wanted
to but because you had to. So, what're you gonna say to those who will
obviously be a better ham than you because they learned CW out of wanting
to, not needing to?

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to
Old July 11th 03, 04:30 AM
Bill Sohl

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

JJ wrote:

N2EY wrote:

Do you have something against someone who has no desire to operate

CW?
There are many different modes of operation in ham radio, do you
operate them all?

No - do you?

No, I certainly do not. If someone wants to only operate cw, only
ssb, only 2 meter FM, then fine, and they are just as much a ham
as someone who operates multiple modes.

So a ham who operates all modes except that he cannot operate

radiotlegraphy
because he doewn't know Morse code, is just as well qualified as a ham who
operates all those and also can operate radiotelegraphy.

Surely you can understand the fallacy of your own argument,
all other considerations aside.

Of course there is a fallacy since "operate" gives no indication
as to actual level of expertise, the ham who operates all modes except
CW could well be far more qualified then the ham who operates
all modes including CW. For the record, the opposite could also be
true and they might actually be equally qualified.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old July 11th 03, 04:35 AM
Bill Sohl

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

In a way, I do -- because their lack of desire to operate CW is usually
based on a lack of willingness to break their inertia and get down to
learning it. It's called laziness. Yup, that's right -- the "L" word.
L-A-Z-I-N-E-S-S.

Yes sir, guess my lack of desire to play golf can best be attributed
to a lack of willingness to break my inertia and get down
to learing it. Just my basic laziness I guess...nothing at all
involving there's any personal choice, like or dislike involved.

Same ole Larry :-)

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Bill:

Nice try, but not quite the same thing. A prospective ham not wanting to
learn and/or use the Morse code is like a prospective golfer not wanting
to learn how to putt, because all he wants to do is drive golf balls for
distance. Well, even I can drive a bucket balls at the range to kill an
afternoon, but I'd never call myself a "golfer."

Morse/CW is an essential communications skill for anyone who is going
to consider him/herself to be an effective amateur radio operator.

So you will claim tillhell freezes over I assume. Only
problem is, your claim failed at the only place that
counts...the FCC.

This
is the one skill which gives them the ability to keep on communicating
under adverse conditions that put an end to communication using less
robust or more equipment and electrical capacity-dependent modes. It
gives us the ultimate in emergency backup communications capability,
which is ever-so important and politically-correct for hams these days.

So how come the other services abondoned morse as such a
valuable back-up?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old July 11th 03, 04:59 AM
Mike Coslo

Bill Sohl wrote:

So how come the other services abondoned morse as such a
valuable back-up?

One big reason is that they can then use a not-so-skilled operator.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 11th 03, 05:47 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Wish more people thought that way about 6 meters!

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

called
CQ
on a "dead" band. You get to work the rare one who answers without the

"benefit"
of
the hounds, no pileup, no QRM, at least until enough others hear you

working him
draw a crowd.

Old July 11th 03, 02:12 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"N2EY" wrote in message

You mean like the folks who look down their noses at me because I operate
mostly CW?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim,

WHO looks down their noses at yhou because you operate mostly CW?
(certainly not me ...)

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old July 11th 03, 03:53 PM
Dick Carroll

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

"N2EY" wrote in message

You mean like the folks who look down their noses at me because I operate
mostly CW?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim,

WHO looks down their noses at yhou because you operate mostly CW?
(certainly not me ...)

73,
Carl - wk3c

Ah do believe Google could show otherwise.

Old July 11th 03, 05:32 PM
JJ

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Again, follow the money and you'll learn the truth. The cost of hiring,
training, and providing pay and benefits to CW-proficient radio operators
is the key factor in play here.

BS, the services realized that with modern technology CW is an
outdated, antiquated mode, no longer useful to them. You are
living in your ham radio dream world too stubborn to see the truth.

Old July 11th 03, 05:48 PM
JJ

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

True -- when the "emergency" is confined to a small locality and the VHF/
UHF repeater infrastructure remains intact. However, what if there is a
widespread disaster -- such as the "Big One" striking the San Andreas fault
line in California? That will not be a "local" disaster -- it will affect the
entire country. Vast regions hundreds of miles in radius will be affected,
and the commercial communications and existing Amateur Radio
infrastructures and the power grids they depend on will be disrupted for
God only knows how long. At that point, we could be talking about areas
with populations of hundreds of thousands of people being out of
communication with the area "outside" the disaster zone. Communications
nets spanning many times the normal operational range of terresterial
VHF/UHF systems will be necessary -- and don't look now, but we're
coming to the downside of the solar cycle -- meaning poor propagation.
I guarantee you that there will be lots of opportunities for No-Code HF
Ham Heroes to help out, but when conditions dictate the use of CW, in
order to be able to communicate when voice and data modes fail due to
lack of available electrical power or poor atmospherics, that capability
will not be available because it will not have been learned. That's when
some guy like me will enter the picture, and say, "Step aside, Sonny,
and take your toy microphone with you." Then he'll plug in his key and
re-establish contact with the outside world. Of course, you will never
be convinced that that could happen -- so you'll just have to hope it doesn't.
In the meantime, I'll be ready!

John, you have to realize that Larry and his huge ego are just
waiting for the above scenario to happen so he can "save the
world" with his CW skills. He is in complete denial that when this
big disaster happens, he and his CW skills will mean nothing. I
can just see him waving his code key shouting "I can save the day
with my CW" at the officials who will laugh their ass off at him.
Read his "step aside Sonny" above and the picture of Larry and his
ego becomes very clear.
I have been a ham for over forty years, have participated in many
disaster situations, and I have never seen conditions where CW
was the only means of communication that would get through, even
at the bottom of the solar cycles. Guys like Larry live in a "I am
superior to you because of my CW skills" dream world.

Old July 11th 03, 05:50 PM
JJ

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , JJ
writes:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Well, on behalf of my colleague Dick (that's MISTER Carroll to you, BOY!)
it's nice to know that we're providing a much needed service to the ARS!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Anyone ever tell you what a pompous ass you really are Larry?
That's MISTER JJ to you little BOY!!