Old July 16th 03, 07:59 PM
zpk_12wpm

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:44:44 +0100, "citizensband"
wrote:

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

oh ?

i thought it was about the person behind the mic (key / camera )
and that persons permission to self-train in the art of
communications.

never did i think that AMATEUR RADIO was about technology.

Old July 16th 03, 08:05 PM
zpk_12wpm

On 16 Jul 2003 18:53:15 GMT, Leigh wrote:

.....and a true example of home-built radio was heard on 80m CW a week or
so ago - a Russian with homemade equipment that rasped CW more than broke
the carrier and was a wide signal.

Sort of knocks the 'build your own' case for Gareth into a cocked hat - not
easy to work or even work out who or where he was.

thats the classic eastern european sound of homemade gear.

that and the tone that starts high and goes low as the dah dah dah
is sent.

dont worry, you get used to it.
Old July 16th 03, 08:32 PM
Scott Dorsey

Jim Hampton wrote:
Thanks for the tip, Carl. Geeze, Analog Devices. I should have remembered.
It has been quite a few years since I worked in Materials Engineering and
actually had a feel for the current state of the art. Heck, I was only off
by a factor of 10 on that clock rate! 10 percent is one thing, but by a
decade! LOL. Be grateful I didn't suggest wiring a bunch of 12AU7s
together in flip flops. Hmmm ... where'd I put that core memory anyways?
BTW, those 400 MHz devices are 10 cents per dozen, right?

All of the AD synthesizers I have seen have a microprocessor interface,
where they basically memory-map into a processor. I'd rather have something
I can directly address.

I could probably pull out a 68HC11 to control the thing if I absolutely had
to, but I'd rather have something I can just latch a BCD input into.
--scott

Old July 16th 03, 08:42 PM
Andy in Fink

Some of us have ALWAYS built our own equipment. That's why
some of us became "hams" --- so we could test it out.....

Alas, most today are appliance operators. I can't, personally, see any
thrill at all in spending 2K for a rig designed and built by strangers, and
spending a month reading the manual learning how to use it...

Still, there's room in the hobby for all of us.

And, in fact, there's a whole lot of us that have more degrees and
licenses than can fit on a good sized wall.

Enjoy whatever facet of it you choose....

Andy W4OAH

Old July 16th 03, 09:39 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Jim Hampton wrote:
[...]

Modern DDS devices would require too many pins on the device for
cheap packages unless they used some sort of serial communications
or a modest pin count multiplexed bus.

I doubt that you will find anything useful with a straight binary or BCD
input because the devices need too many bits loaded into them to set
up all of the internal functions/registers.

Carl - wkc3

Old July 16th 03, 11:27 PM
Gary

thats the classic eastern european sound of homemade gear.

that and the tone that starts high and goes low as the dah dah dah
is sent.

dont worry, you get used to it.

We thought it was the sound of your head deflating after the Atlantic crossing.
Old July 16th 03, 11:38 PM
Scott Dorsey

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
--scott

Modern DDS devices would require too many pins on the device for
cheap packages unless they used some sort of serial communications
or a modest pin count multiplexed bus.

I doubt that you will find anything useful with a straight binary or BCD
input because the devices need too many bits loaded into them to set
up all of the internal functions/registers.

Right. I am looking for something that might best be implemented as
an ASIC somewhere, in that it would be a special-purpose sine wave
synthesizer rather than a general purpose DDS device.
--scott
Old July 17th 03, 02:31 AM

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:53:15 UTC, Leigh
wrote:

"citizensband" wrote in
:

All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,
unless you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never
be able to build a rig that even comes close to what's available off
the shelf these days.

What? I've never heard that. Folks should know how their radios
work, that's why the FCC exam includes "theory". There's never been
a requirement to bring in a Home Brew transceiver as part of the
exam.

.....and a true example of home-built radio was heard on 80m CW a week or
so ago - a Russian with homemade equipment that rasped CW more than broke
the carrier and was a wide signal.

Sort of knocks the 'build your own' case for Gareth into a cocked hat - not
easy to work or even work out who or where he was.

Leigh.....

I've been licensed for 35 years and I've only met one person who
built an SSB transceiver from scratch. I know lots of folk who
have the expertise to repair them and many have built kits.

de ah6gi/4

Old July 17th 03, 02:52 AM
Brian Denley

hey this could be a troll! ya think?
(plonk)

--
Brian Denley
"citizensband" wrote in message
All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,

unless
you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never be able to
build a rig that even comes close to what's available off the shelf these
days. Most people can't even be bothered, have no interest or don't have

the
time to build rigs anymore. Boatanchors should be used for exactly that,
anchoring boats!

Time to stop whinging, and face the facts...Real Technology has overtaken
you all!

tox

Old July 17th 03, 05:23 AM
Jim Hampton

Sheesh! 1 GHz with a 10 bit binary counter. Only $350.00 each in quantities
of 1000. Someone care to loan me over 1/3 of a million? Seriously,
however, there are affordable AMD devices but they appear to be in the 50
MHz to under 200 MHz range.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
--scott

Modern DDS devices would require too many pins on the device for
cheap packages unless they used some sort of serial communications
or a modest pin count multiplexed bus.

I doubt that you will find anything useful with a straight binary or BCD
input because the devices need too many bits loaded into them to set
up all of the internal functions/registers.

Right. I am looking for something that might best be implemented as
an ASIC somewhere, in that it would be a special-purpose sine wave
synthesizer rather than a general purpose DDS device.
--scott

---