Old July 21st 03, 04:06 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

Dee, I don't think I am miscontrueing a thing. It baffles me to no end that
it would actually bother someone to have another wait for their opportunity
to come along. I see nothing at all wrong with someone waiting until
testing requirements meet *their* expectations.

Kim W5TIT

Kim:

Hey, I'd like a Ph. D in Electrical Engineering. How long do you think
I'll have to wait for the testing requirements to be reduced to a 50-question
multiple guess with a passing score of 70%, with an open question
pool and no dissertation required? Since I'll never actually do any
electrical engineering, those are my expectations of what the testing
requirements should be. So, whaddya say -- 5 years? More? Less?

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old July 21st 03, 04:16 AM
Len Over 21

In article m, "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

Dee, I don't think I am miscontrueing a thing. It baffles me to no end that
it would actually bother someone to have another wait for their opportunity
to come along. I see nothing at all wrong with someone waiting until
testing requirements meet *their* expectations.

Kim W5TIT

Even if it is waiting 10 years or better??

I like to see people succeed. Those who wait do not succeed because they do
not take control over and responsibility for their own lives. It is
heartbreakingly sad to see people electing to be failures because they are
waiting for someone to give them something.

Oh, the Despair, the Woe, FAILURE by not bothering with a code
test! The world does not owe them something because they are "lazy?"

No, the world owes YOU something because you went through some
hoops set a long time ago by then long-timers. You are one of the
"higher-class," the uppercrust Elite, a Morseperson! shrug

If you wait for opportunity to knock, it never will.

"Knock" it off. Test element 1 is on the way OUT. Realize it.

LHA
Old July 21st 03, 04:54 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Trolls will say anything to get a response.

Works for you...

LHA

Old July 21st 03, 04:54 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Actually Larry, I might take you up on that one sometime. I've been
wanting to try that mode sometime. I'm swamped now, and I found that I
nuked my card interface ad FD, but in the next couple of weeks.......

Tsk, tsk, tsk. That's showing LAZY behavior! Can't have that.

You GET ON that right away to show your dedication and hard work
to the US amateur community. Be good now.

LHA
Old July 21st 03, 04:54 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo

writes:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

Mike:

I wonder if the NCTA's will figure out a way to get the FCC to fast-track
this process?

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go

by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

I learned the hard way. I waited 14 years, and lost out on what could have
been the best years of my ham radio career! Now I'm 50 years old, and
won't even qualify for QCWA membership for another three years!

THAT'S what I've been trying to get through to some of these good folk!!!!

I didn't get my license until I was in my mid-40's, and now regret I
didn't get it a long time ago. Granted, I didn't get interested in the
ARS until the late 1990's, but if there is any advice I can give the
prospective ham is that "It's too much fun, don't waste ANY time getting
your ticket!"

[ Coslo-esque behavior mode ON ]

WHAT WERE YOU WAITING FOR? An engraved invitation?!?

US amateur radio has been around since BEFORE 1912.

Jay-suss! I'd say you were a LAZY, good-for-nothing bum for sitting
around SO LONG!

[ Coslo-esque behavior mode off ]

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

Anyone who waits the (up to) two years a US No-code General/Extra
may take would appear to be interested only in being lazy. A classic
filter feeder.

And two years off their life that they could have been on the air.

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get
their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I'll provide them some incentive: As of now, 20 July 2003 at 0321 hrs UTC,
any prospective US ham who learns the code at the gruelling speed of 5
WPM, passes the test, and gets their Extra will be considered by me to
be a full-fledged ham as long as they regularly use at least one non-voice
mode on-the-air at least 40 percent of their total operating time. Wow --
is that a deal or what?

Heheh, Maybe a certificate thing brewing here? 8^)

Some can't get enough pretty, engraved certificates. Those prove you are
SOMEBODY!!!

You need a Worked All Certificates award.

LHA
Old July 21st 03, 04:54 AM
Len Over 21

In article m, "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

I like to see people succeed. Those who wait do not succeed because they do
not take control over and responsibility for their own lives. It is
heartbreakingly sad to see people electing to be failures because they are
waiting for someone to give them something.

If you wait for opportunity to knock, it never will.

"Knock" it off, Dee. Nobody is a "failure" for not liking morse code.

If you want to be "sad" (whether heartbreakingly so or otherwise), then
weep for EVERY OTHER RADIO SERVICE that either never used
morse code or never intended to. That ought to get you through at
least 10 boxes of Kleenex with all the "sadness."

Boo hoo...

LHA
Old July 21st 03, 08:55 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote:

I am willing to bet that some sort of "moratorium"
on code testing is announced within the next 60 days.
Just an opinion...nothing certain (snip)

I also think it will happen much quicker then most expect. I wouldn't lock
myself into a fixed time period at this point, but I do suspect some action
in this direction fairly soon.

Actually, I suspect the FCC has been gearing up for a long time for a
relatively quick move in this direction when it became possible. Some of
their comments and actions over the last few years has only fueled that
suspicion (nothing specific in what they've said or done - just a feeling).

I guess we'll see soon enough if we're right.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Already 4 years ! Thierry Antenna 4 October 4th 04 05:16 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 6 October 1st 04 07:40 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Equipment 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM