Old September 1st 03, 01:10 AM
Kim W5TIT

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

The song is really an anti-conformity ditty, loosely derived from

Malvina
Reynolds' "Little Boxes" and others of that ilk.

Yet, quite prophetic when looking back now.

How?

Oh, I think many today--even me--are quite involved and disolved with
keeping ourselves happy with material things. While I am not a keep up

with
the Jones' kind of person (i.e., unaffected by "status" symbols), I do

find
amusement in "things" more than I used to. I used to be happy just to

watch
ants...

Ah - good explanation! And observation...

Here's another one for ya...

From 1972-1976 I attended a large urban university. The big thing back

then
was "nonconformity" to the rules of the "establishment", particularly in
manners of slang, clothes and haircut.

After a while, though, it became clear that we'd simply traded one form of
conformity for another, and that we "nonconformists" pretty much dressed

alike,
talked alike, and had similar haircuts.

The university gave us more than schooling - we were actually educated,

often
by experiences that seemed minor at the time.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Absolutely!! I was one "of those" (nonconformists). Actually, I still
concentrate on being so--it doesn't come naturally any more GRIN. If
everyone is planting roses, I'll plant petunias. If all women like
diamonds, I like opals (and that is actually the truth).

Anyway, you're right about the more we tried to be different, the more we
were the same. Uh, but we were the same together

Kim W5TIT

Old September 1st 03, 04:39 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Hell, I work for a private university, and it is one of the "bastions" of
republican thought; "do as I say, not do as I do." It promotes the
lifestyle of the little rich brats that have been raised with the thinking
of "it's not what you know, but who you know." Forget achieving based on
merits or achievements.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Most schools and universities today are either state owned or state
supported. Therefore, to find an answer to the problems with schools, we
only have to look as far as our own state representatives. And, since

they
like the federal education assistance available to them, those
representatives are not going to change unless we vote them out and are
willing to fund schools locally. I see no effort in either of those
directions.

Sad, but true.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old September 1st 03, 05:42 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article ,
(Brian) writes:

And during my turn in the barrel, I thanked my lucky stars I was Air
Force. The USN was better to their people than the Army, but not
much.

Brian:

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time in the Air Force, and have no
regrets over my choice of a military career. However, you brushed up
against part of my "problem" with the Air Force. I think that they are
TOO good to their people, if that's possible. My last couple of years
(the ones at Dover AFB) were made miserable by a bunch of whining,
complaining, non-working Senior Airmen who didn't want to do anything
but take two-hour lunch breaks, get their weekends off, get their 30
days leave exactly when they wanted it, and get paid every two weeks.
Doing the job wasn't even on their Top 10 list of priorities. Of course,
my job as a 9-level MSgt in a Superintendent slot was to make sure
they were doing that job. So, whenever I dared to crack the whip a
bit, they went around me to our CMSgt Squadron Ops Superintendent,
who had the ever-popular "open door policy." Their complaints would
end up with me being called on his carpet, whereupon I'd usually tell
him that when they came in as a result of his open door policy, I'd
much prefer it if he'd slam the door in their faces! Well, this got me a
reputation of not being a "people person," since this Chief thought it was
every supervisor's job to know the right buttons to push to get people
to work. When I was an Airman, nobody had to push any buttons
on me. I was always at work on time, early, in fact, with a clean,
sharp-looking uniform, haircut, spit-polished shoes you could use as
a shaving mirror, and my head full of all the technical information about
my job I'd just learned from my CDC's. I was a great Airman, and
continued to be right up to the day I retired. However, in my entire
career as a supervisor (which, since I was always promoted way ahead
of my alleged "peers," started at a mere 3 years TIS) I've only a small
handful of Airmen who were anything like me. The rest were all the
whining, needy, lazy, unmotivated, indifferent No-Coder type. When
they weren't goofing off on the job, they were getting into trouble in the
dorms and off-base, making my life miserable sorting them out at
all hours of the night.

Now, the Navy always had a much different attitude toward discipline
than the Air Force. A Navy Chief wields true power over his people, and
usually isn't second-guessed or undermined by his senior Chiefs or
officers. I have to say that in the many times I've worked with the Navy,
I've always been impressed with their Enlisted personnel. I'd never
met one who wasn't able to address me correctly by rank -- but I'm
sure that if the typical A1C were to encounter a Navy Petty Officer
First Class in a professional situation, he'd probably call him or her
"Sarge."

Navy Enlisted people have always seemed to have their acts together
much better than Airmen, and I guess that's because they're all a lot
closer to actual combat conditions than most Airmen ever get on a
day-to-day basis. Things may have changed a bit since I've retired,
what with the constant involvement in real-world combat situations
these days. At least, I hope so.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old September 1st 03, 01:25 PM
N2EY

In article , "Dick Carroll;"

Subject: For those that are against the morse removal
From: "Dick Carroll;"
Date: 1 Sep 2003 07:11:09 GMT

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Kim" wrote in message
"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

The song is really an anti-conformity ditty, loosely derived from
Malvina
Reynolds' "Little Boxes" and others of that ilk.

Yet, quite prophetic when looking back now.

How?

Oh, I think many today--even me--are quite involved and disolved with
keeping ourselves happy with material things. While I am not a keep

up
with
the Jones' kind of person (i.e., unaffected by "status" symbols), I do
find
amusement in "things" more than I used to. I used to be happy just to
watch
ants...

Ah - good explanation! And observation...

Here's another one for ya...

From 1972-1976 I attended a large urban university. The big thing back
[...]

But you're still planting flowers, and liking jewelry. Same difference.

Anyway, you're right about the more we tried to be different, the more we
were the same. Uh, but we were the same together

Groovy, baby!

Oh, now ur claiming to be a 'flower child'? Don't think so. Or perhaps
you came in after things ended, eh? A wannabee flower child? Now thats a
real probabliity.

Bummer, man! Why such a downer?

Hey, she'e the one who wanted to go to Woodstock back when, but her mother
wouldn't let her because she was too young. Pity!

Woodstock? Let's see, that was late summer 1969, when Kim was 15 if memory
serves. I don't think a responsible parent would let their 15-year-old go to
such a "happening".

Heck, from all accounts most of those who set out for Woodstock never actually
got there due to traffic snarls. Some of the performers had to be helicoptered
in and out, and some never made it. The whole event was such a mess that large
outdoor festivals basically disappeared afterwards because nobody with half a
brain would issue the necessary permits. (Altamont drove the final nail in that
coffin).

Counterculture? Check this out: The promoters who put on the Woodstock festival
lost big piles of money on the concert. The whole thing was too big for them to
control - early on they even lost the ability to collect admission. There was
even talk of civil suits over huge unpaid expenses BUT....

The promoters had done one smart thing: They owned the rights to almost all
recordings (film and sound) made at the festival. So they made a documentary
movie and record album for very little money, and made back all their losses
and millions more. Good old capitalism...

Remember the song "Woodstock", made famous by Crosby Stills Nash and Young? It
was actually written by Joni Mitchell (who also performed the first version).
Buit Mitchell was not at the Woodstock festival at all!

The summer of 1969 was when human beings first set foot on the moon. That's
what I think of first when that time is mentioned.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old September 1st 03, 03:26 PM
Kim W5TIT

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Dick Carroll;"

writes:

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Kim" wrote in message
"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

[...]

From 1972-1976 I attended a large urban university. The big thing

back
[...]

Yeah, but I like to think that I'm being a bit of a renegade. Actually, I
don't like things all the same. Remember the good 'ol "Neighborhood
Association" debates that have come and gone here? I'm against them, for
whatever purpose; and would be so very, very depressed if I ever have to
live "in" one.

And, as for jewelery. That is a going joke in my family. I love jewelery.
Even used to work at Ed Levin Jewelers long ago. Love to get it as a
present. Don't spend much time shopping for it or being distracted by it,
though, if set against the rest of my female population. A couple of years
ago I asked for, and received, one of those standing jewelery chests. It's
about half full. Every once in a while I'll spend an hour or two taking all
my pretties out and looking at them. LOL But, save on rare occasions,
you'll not find me with a piece on--not even my wedding band. Just don't
like the feeling of anything around me, I guess.

Anyway, you're right about the more we tried to be different, the

more we
were the same. Uh, but we were the same together

Groovy, baby!

Gads!!! That's so funny. I never got into the beatniky-hippie kind of
lingo. Heck, I don't think I could even be classified as a true hippie--I
am just a couple of years too late fer it.

Oh, now ur claiming to be a 'flower child'? Don't think so. Or

perhaps
you came in after things ended, eh? A wannabee flower child? Now

thats a
real probabliity.

Bummer, man! Why such a downer?

Some folks can be no other way.

Hey, she'e the one who wanted to go to Woodstock back when, but her

mother
wouldn't let her because she was too young. Pity!

Woodstock? Let's see, that was late summer 1969, when Kim was 15 if memory
serves. I don't think a responsible parent would let their 15-year-old go

such a "happening".

Yep, 14 though. And, you're right. I had friends whose parents were much
more lenient than mine who went. I was going with them. Until I asked my
parents...LOL

Heck, from all accounts most of those who set out for Woodstock never

actually
got there due to traffic snarls. Some of the performers had to be

helicoptered
in and out, and some never made it. The whole event was such a mess that

large
outdoor festivals basically disappeared afterwards because nobody with

half a
brain would issue the necessary permits. (Altamont drove the final nail in

that
coffin).

It was much nicer watching from the news on it. As "free" as I liked to
think of myself back then, I am pretty sure I would definitely have been
bummed at the rain, mud, and so darned many freaks.

Counterculture? Check this out: The promoters who put on the Woodstock

festival
lost big piles of money on the concert. The whole thing was too big for

them to
control - early on they even lost the ability to collect admission. There

was
even talk of civil suits over huge unpaid expenses BUT....

I think there was more than talk. Did Yeager/Yager/Yeger (however his name
is spelled) think there was loads to be had in a suit and begin the process
until it was explained to him the debaucle of the whole thing?

The promoters had done one smart thing: They owned the rights to almost

all
recordings (film and sound) made at the festival. So they made a

documentary
movie and record album for very little money, and made back all their

losses
and millions more. Good old capitalism...

Bought the album. You know, the one with the little kid on it? GRIN
It's the only album where I've heard Joan singing the song "Sweet Sir
Gallahad" ('least I think that's the name of it) and gosh I like that song.

Remember the song "Woodstock", made famous by Crosby Stills Nash and

Young? It
was actually written by Joni Mitchell (who also performed the first

version).
Buit Mitchell was not at the Woodstock festival at all!

The summer of 1969 was when human beings first set foot on the moon.

That's
what I think of first when that time is mentioned.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Yeah, Summer 1970 saw the tragedy at Kent State...the beginning of the end.

By the way, I'd have guessed you were an old hippie, Jim. At least there's
still a few left upholding the original ideals. I gave up.

Kim W5TIT

Old September 1st 03, 11:12 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...

Oh, now ur claiming to be a 'flower child'? Don't think so. Or

perhaps
you came in after things ended, eh? A wannabee flower child? Now thats

real probabliity.

"Make love not War"

"War is dangerous to all living things"

etc.

Dan/W4NTI

Do you have to practice at being an asshole, Dan, or does it come that
naturally?

Kim W5TIT

You bring out the best in me Kim.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 1st 03, 11:19 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article ,
(Brian) writes:

[...]

Good show Larry. I really enjoy it when you provide a proper 'front end
allignment' to those that keep asking for it.

I can agree with your comments about both the AF and the ARMY, since I
served in both.

My main observation of the Army is they had a much lower IQ than the
standard AF type. And the Army had a bunch more 'micky mouse' to deal with.
But from what I've seen in the last decade or so the Army is looking a whole
lot better than when I was in.

In the AF you had a job and you did that job. In the Army you did whatever
job some dumbass said for you to do.

I never made it to the Navy. The mickey mouse ended my zest to travel.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 1st 03, 11:22 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

The song is really an anti-conformity ditty, loosely derived from
Malvina
Reynolds' "Little Boxes" and others of that ilk.

Yet, quite prophetic when looking back now.

How?

Oh, I think many today--even me--are quite involved and disolved

with
keeping ourselves happy with material things. While I am not a

keep up
with
the Jones' kind of person (i.e., unaffected by "status" symbols), I

do
find
amusement in "things" more than I used to. I used to be happy just

watch
ants...

Ah - good explanation! And observation...

Here's another one for ya...

From 1972-1976 I attended a large urban university. The big thing

[...]

My point exactly.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 1st 03, 11:25 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Dick Carroll;"

From: "Dick Carroll;"
Date: 1 Sep 2003 07:11:09 GMT

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Kim" wrote in message
"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

[...]

From 1972-1976 I attended a large urban university. The big thing

[...]

In the summer of 69 I was mellowing out in a Klong House in Bangkok
Thailand.

Dan/W4NTI