Old September 2nd 03, 11:26 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in

message
link.net...

Oh, now ur claiming to be a 'flower child'? Don't think so.

Or
perhaps
you came in after things ended, eh? A wannabee flower child?

Now
thats
real probabliity.

"Make love not War"

"War is dangerous to all living things"

etc.

Dan/W4NTI

Do you have to practice at being an asshole, Dan, or does it come

that
naturally?

Kim W5TIT

You bring out the best in me Kim.

Dan/W4NTI

That's a given, Dan. We all know you're an asshole. That wasn't the
question. The question is do you have to practice?

Kim W5TIT

Not any more Twit. I have acheived the highest level possible. Thank

you
for noticing.

Yeah, Dan, you know how it is with her. I'm labelled a chicken$h*t

because I choose not
to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed female.

Yes...I noticed. But she sure has a lot of opinions. Rarely based on fact,
however.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 2nd 03, 11:31 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

thlink.net...
"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(N2EY) wrote in message

Heck, from all accounts most of those who set out for Woodstock

never
actually
got there due to traffic snarls.

I especially like the ones who claimed they were both at Woodstock

and
in Vietnam. They probably saw both movies.

The summer of 1969 was when human beings first set foot on the

moon.
That's
what I think of first when that time is mentioned.

I was 11. I remember selling flower seeds door to door to earn a

West
Ben fishing pole. And my Dad getting orders to Thailand.

So what has all this do do with code?

My my Brian....how is it so hard for you to figure a person could be a
veteran of VN and be at Kent State also?

Do you confuse Kent State and Woodstock often?

You really must be a dumb ass.

Of course it's possible.

I was at Kent State visiting my cousin the evening before the

shootings.
The national guard had blocked the streets and the kids were running

up
and
down the street throwing rocks, etc.

I had my military ID checked by the Guard on my way out of town. The

next
day the shootings occured. ( I was in-active reserve status).

Reserves?

I was discharged in 1968. I went back to Thailand as a civilian

Back to Thailand? When were you there the 1st time? And are you
somehow implying that Thailand and Vietnam are the same place?

and
returned stateside in December of 69. My original home is Alliance,

Ohio.
Thats about 34 miles South of Kent, Ohio.

Are you related to Bruce Bunion/WA8ULX?

You can now wipe the slobber off your chin.

Dan/W4NTI

You completely forgot the part about you being at Woodstock and
Vietnam.

And the part about what this has to do with the code.

I changed the subject header, because it has nothing to do with the

'code'.

You are the one that is confused Brian. I never said a thing about
Woodstock and Vietnam and Thailand.

I said I was discharged in 1968. And yes I was in Thailand several times
during that period. I was also in Vietnam during that period. In fact,
just to make you happy here is a list of countries I was in from November
1965 to April of 1968.

Okinawa
Japan
Phillipines
Taiwan
Thailand
Vietnam

All of which were TDY (Temporary Duty) from Okinawa.

In April of 1967 I went for a full tour to Vietnam, leaving in April of
1968. Went stateside for 3 months and was discharged in July of 1968.

Was
placed on inactive reserve status for two more years in order to complete

my
6 year military commitment.

There is more, but this is pertenant to the discussion.

After returning stateside and dropping by to see my mother I bought a 1

way
ticket to Bangkok Thailand. Where I lived in between working in South
Vietnam as a civilian contractor. I returned stateside December of 1969.

Any questions Brian?

Dan/W4NTI

Addendum;

I forgot to add Cambodia and Laos.

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 3rd 03, 12:40 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

thlink.net...
"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(N2EY) wrote in message

[...]

Some good guys and friends of mine, ex-Navy Seals have taught and drilled it
into me that if someone's bragging, there's some bagging

Kim W5TIT

Old September 3rd 03, 01:33 AM
Kim W5TIT

hlink.net...

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
[...]

And I am sitting here so wowed with your intellect, Dan, that Bo Pilgrim is
second on my list of mentors now.

You are filthy, wretched and disgusting. I have never (even in Larry Roll)
seen the equivalent to the blabbering garbage that you put forth hear in
this newsgroup and it's as simple as that. You're as predictable as Len
Anderson, and that makes you pretty damned boring. You spew forth with
comments that prove to me that your lacking in social skills and never cared
about making up for it.

You have nothing but contempt for fellow human beings and it's because you
seriously lack any form of humanity that would cause one to at least
consider you worth listening to. You bring about your own sorry ass way of
life and bring the rest of the world down for it, indeed dream it up in your
little head that it's all "their fault."

Then, you run into a woman of high intellect and your stooped so low for
desperation to be able to one upmanship her that you swing into extremely
low gear with nothing but name calling. Proving the points I have just
observed about you. You are as worthless as dust in a waterless
environment. No one here, in my opinion holds a candle to how wretchedly
low you really are.

Kim W5TIT

Old September 3rd 03, 01:34 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message thlink.net...

I was at Kent State visiting my cousin the evening before the shootings.
The national guard had blocked the streets and the kids were running up and
down the street throwing rocks, etc.

I was there the day before delivering lunch to my Dad...He was
director of communications for KSUPD at the time. I was at Brown
Junior High when we all got sent home suddenly...I found out about the
shootings when I got home and turned on the scanner.

I later joined the KSU Amateur Radio Club (K8GRA)when I got my
Novice in October of 72...a perk of being the dependent of a campus
employee.

I had a chance to see the damage done by the students to the new
Tower Dormitories on the south side of the campus...It was so new that
some of the rooms still had new plastic on the matresses and it smell
of mothballs...Trashed beyond recognition in some places.

I was discharged in 1968. I went back to Thailand as a civilian and
returned stateside in December of 69. My original home is Alliance, Ohio.
Thats about 34 miles South of Kent, Ohio.

Ravenna...been there? =) (Class of 74)

Score still stands at National Guard 4...KSU Zip.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old September 3rd 03, 01:54 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

thlink.net...
"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(N2EY) wrote in message

[...]

Tell me TWIT..how is saying where I was bragging? You really are a TWIT
ain't ya?

Dan/W4NTI

Old September 3rd 03, 01:58 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sure been to Ravenna. You know this Kent thing was really a bad deal. I
was a vet of the VN bull****, but I really had a lot in common with the
'kids'.

When I left out of the Kent area that evening...I told the guard that this
BS about Nixon invading Cambodia was BS. I was in Cambodia re-supplying US
troops in 67. And in Laos too. He was rather shocked. Oh well. Yes
indeed the US Government lied.

Dan/W4NTI

Steve, K4YZ

Old September 3rd 03, 02:14 AM
Kim W5TIT

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"
writes:

(lotta snippage)

But you're still planting flowers, and liking jewelry. Same difference.

Yeah, but I like to think that I'm being a bit of a renegade. Actually,

don't like things all the same. Remember the good 'ol "Neighborhood
Association" debates that have come and gone here? I'm against them, for
whatever purpose; and would be so very, very depressed if I ever have to
live "in" one.

Same here. But the reason those associations exist is fear - fear that

folks
won't keep up their properties in a reasonable manner if there is no

mechanism
to force them.

Paranoia will destroy ya. Fear is a strong emotion. I'm not so attached to
my property that I'd let fear determine where I live and worry about what
someone else does on theirs. But, I also don't buy my place for
investment--so to speak. I bought my place (with my hubby of course) to
stay. This is the first land and home I've had, and no doubt will be the
last. I plant roots...spent too much time being a Navy brat.

I never got into the beatniky-hippie kind of
lingo. Heck, I don't think I could even be classified as a true

hippie--I
am just a couple of years too late fer it.

So am I.

Most people like to romanticize about that period in this country's history.
I don't know how it was here in the Dallas TX area--most people I've talked
to who were around my age and a little older were too busy going to drive-in
movies, necking, getting pregnant and getting married. Not very many
politically motivated debates down here, 'least not the way we used to have
'em at the drop of a hat up there!

But, what little we could do in our little town up north to protest the war,
we did. We had a black arm-band day at high school; we had our graffiti on
our bookcovers, etc. Not much to do in a little town. I don't remember,
though, many folks who were "for" the war--other than our parents. Most of
the guys I knew got drafted; most of the gals I knew were saying buy to
their guys most of the time. And, the country was in upheaval. I'd not
like to go back to those days at all. It was NOT a peaceful time in our
history.

The Yippies (now the Yuppies and everyone gets them confused as old hippies;
they are not, they were Yippies) dragged the whole thing into violent
protests. A true hippie would no more pick up a rock or spit at a cop than
the man in the moon. The Yippies were extremists. Now, they're a bunch of
pussy sell-outs who bought lock, stock, and barrel into the system they used
to say they "hated."

Some folks can be no other way.

Naw, I think Dan can be a real up guy most of the time. Cool dude.

I'd thrive at the opportunity to drive past him in a time of need, and I
would drive right on by. People like him aren't worth my time, good or bad
time at that.

Woodstock? Let's see, that was late summer 1969, when Kim was 15 if

memory
serves. I don't think a responsible parent would let their 15-year-old

go
to such a "happening".

Yep, 14 though.

All the more reason.

And, you're right. I had friends whose parents were much
more lenient than mine who went.

I'd call it "irresponsible" rather than "lenient".

Naw, most of us were pretty grown up in our town. They'd been just as well
going at 18 as 14-15. And they were. Most of them had a great time. Then,
later, that concert happened up in...where was it--the race track (?) up in
NY...OH YEAH, Glen something? Is that it? Well, anyway, by then I had my
kids and wouldn't have gone for the best of times.

A lot of us were mad that the clueless promoters had ruined the whole

festival
scene by their incompetence. Even 30 years later there were problems doing
another one.

Give me the Philadelphia Folk Festival any day. Well managed, excellent

acts,
good sound and video, well behaved crowd and it's been held every year

since
long before that place in NY. People take their kids and grandkids. No

visible
booze or drugs.

I have a cousin in music that I bet you've seen if you went there. For the
sake of her sanity, I'll private email you on that, if you'd like. I'm sure
there's some jerk in here that would be incessant toward her if they knew
who she was.

I think there was more than talk. Did Yeager/Yager/Yeger (however his

name
is spelled) think there was loads to be had in a suit and begin the

process
until it was explained to him the debaucle of the whole thing?

Max Yasgur, now dead, I think. I'm sure he got a piece of the pie. Point

was,
they made a mint from the whole "counterculture" aspect of it.

Yeah, he did, as I recall. And, they did too.

Yeah, Summer 1970 saw the tragedy at Kent State...the beginning of the

end.

End of what? Looking back, I'm amazed only four died in the Kent State

mess.
Days of near-riot conditions, kids throwing rocks and teargas canisters

back at
National Guardsmen (who were untrained in riot control)? KS was not a
nonviolent demonstration.

I think that was when "we" as a counter-culture began realizing that we and
"they" had limits and that we had to start growing up with our approach to
democracy. The unfortunate thing that happened out of the 60's is that on
all campuses today, one must have a "stamp of approval" to organize and post
things on the wall. While I'd not like to see the mob mentality as it was,
it's a pity that our youth aren't exposed to true, true democracy in action,
which, in my opinion, does involve activism. I applaud the TX Democrats who
wouldn't give in to the pressures of an immature jerk here, who is called
the Governor of this state.

By the way, I'd have guessed you were an old hippie, Jim.

Not me. I could never afford it.

Wow, wonder what part you're speaking of. We all lived with our holey
jeans, drove clunkers for cars, partied in fields, etc. LOL Nothing about
afording anything with these guys. Let's see, our "swell" of hippies was
aged from about 12 to 23-4. We lived in a small town, so big brothers and
sisters always had little brothers and sisters with them; and every darned
one of us was friends--I do miss that. Heck, my little guy--first born--was
at more field parties as a baby than he's ever been to the rest of his life!
First day out of the hospital we landed at a celebration near Hedges Lake,
in a great big field to welcome Fall and have our last bash before Winter.
Oct. 20, 1974. Guess what else we were just getting the chance to
celebrate!?

I went to engineering school, remember? I
always thought that to build a better world, one had to know how to build
things in the first place. So I learned how to do electrical engineering.

And
I'm still at it.

Well, we had guys who went out of High School into Physics, Liberal Arts,
and other Sciences. We loved for them to come home and tell us the tales of
college life. Heh heh, my biggest kick back then was seeing Alice Cooper at
a Hall on the campus of Plattsburgh, NY.

There's no substitute for actually knowing how to do things, and doing

them.
Remember the movies "The Magnificent Seven" (actually a remake of "The

Seven
Samurai"? The farmers (productive people) does not need the bandits

(moochers).
But the bandits sure need the farmers!

Some good things came out of those times. Those are the things to

remember.

At least there's still a few left upholding the original ideals.

Yeah, baby!

Actually, you might be surprised at how simple my "ideals" really are.

I gave up.

Not me.

73 de Jim, N2EY

I don't think I'd be surprised at your ideals at all, Jim. It takes an
awful lot to surprise me these days...

Kim W5TIT

Old September 3rd 03, 02:51 AM
Brian

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message hlink.net...
"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

thlink.net...
"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(N2EY) wrote in message

[...]

And you picked up on my comment about Woodstock and Vietnam. But you
commented about Vietnam, Thailand and Kent State.

You are the one that is confused Brian. I never said a thing about
Woodstock and Vietnam and Thailand.

You said something about Vietnam, Kent State, and Thailand. For
example, here are your words about Vietnam and Kent State:

------------------------------
My my Brian....how is it so hard for you to figure a person could be a
veteran of VN and be at Kent State also?
------------------------------

So the only confusion is yours. I hadn't commented on Vietnam AND
Kent State.

And here are your words about Thailand:

------------------------------
I went back to Thailand as a civilian
------------------------------

The only problem is that the topic was Vietnam and Woodstock.

I said I was discharged in 1968.

So you did.

And yes I was in Thailand several times
during that period.

Again, what has this to do with you being in Vietnam?

I was also in Vietnam during that period.

And there it is. After all the obfuscation about being in Thailand,
you finally come clean.

In fact,
just to make you happy here is a list of countries I was in from November
1965 to April of 1968.

Okinawa
Japan
Phillipines
Taiwan
Thailand
Vietnam

Phillipines, huh?

All of which were TDY (Temporary Duty) from Okinawa.

I'm familiar with the term.

In April of 1967 I went for a full tour to Vietnam, leaving in April of
1968. Went stateside for 3 months and was discharged in July of 1968. Was
placed on inactive reserve status for two more years in order to complete my
6 year military commitment.

Fascinating.

There is more, but this is pertenant to the discussion.

No doubt.

After returning stateside and dropping by to see my mother I bought a 1 way
ticket to Bangkok Thailand. Where I lived in between working in South
Vietnam as a civilian contractor. I returned stateside December of 1969.

Any questions Brian?

Did you ever make it to Woodstock?
Old September 3rd 03, 07:39 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

(snip) Diminishing emphasis on "self-esteem"
would be a great idea. Self-esteem should be
something earned. One of the strangest things
I have seen lately is the bizzare students
who have a great sense of self-esteem with
absolutely no reason for it. No accomplishments,
no education, nothing but feeling really,
really good about themselves. (snip)

There's nothing wrong with a little self-esteem. Instead, as you suggest,
the problem is being full of it (and, yes, the double meaning was intended).

But a bigger problem is what they expect from others based on that bloated
self-esteem. Too many today expect way too much respect from others, far
beyond what is routinely given to just another human being. It's not just a
coincidence that he or she "disrespected me" has become a common complaint
today. Many feel they don't they have to do anything to earn that extra
respect - it should be given just because they're a wonderful human being.
Of course, when that extra respect is not forthcoming, they feel cheated.

The schools do a fine job of installing plenty of self-esteem. However,
they fail at also making those kids understand than anything beyond basic
respect has to be earned - it's not just given because you happen to exist.

(snip) Oh, yeah. Get the kids thinking about
something other than what's happening 5 minutes
from now.

Well, that¹s probably trying to achieve a little too much.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/