Old September 2nd 03, 12:00 AM
Mike Coslo

Default No Parking Test International

Hey clones!

Go to:

http://news.yahoo.com/

and follow the technology link to "Car that can park itself put on sale
by Toyota". I'd put the actual link in but it's waay too long for a
single line on a post.

There is no further need to include a parking test in the examination
for Drivers licenses. Now that a car can park itself, why should anyone
have to learn how to do it. Imagine how much more cellphone time and
makeup application time this will give people!

- Mike KB3EIA - out!

President, NPTI

"Dedicated to taking driving into the future"

Old September 2nd 03, 02:09 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Hey clones!

Go to:

http://news.yahoo.com/

and follow the technology link to "Car that can park itself put on sale
by Toyota". I'd put the actual link in but it's waay too long for a
single line on a post.

There is no further need to include a parking test in the examination
for Drivers licenses. Now that a car can park itself, why should anyone
have to learn how to do it. Imagine how much more cellphone time and
makeup application time this will give people!

- Mike KB3EIA - out!

President, NPTI

"Dedicated to taking driving into the future"

Yup you got it. Here in Michigan the driving test is two parts. The first
part, which you MUST pass before you can take the actual driving section, is
parking manuevers. These consist of pulling up within 2 feet of but not
over the line, backing into a parking space like those in shopping centers,
and parallel parking. These three manuevers count for 8 points. The
parallel parking is 5 of those 8. You can only miss 6 points to pass this
section. So if you blow parallel parking and make any mistake at all on the
others, you fail. Most new drivers have to take the test a minimum of
twice. Three times is more typical.

Fail the basically unimportant parking lot maneuvers (these situations can
all be avoided in the real world if you want to) and you don't get your
license.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE
(and parent of a newly licensed driver)

Old September 2nd 03, 03:29 AM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

Ahh, you see? You see? This is a terrible travesty, and is really just
a hazing ritual.

Mind you, NPTI has no objection to a driver actually parallel parking
(PP) his or her vehicle, but we think it is an outdated and unecessary
thing to have a person actually have to pass a test showing that they
can do PP.

Now there is a question about the amount of space that is used up by
PP. At this time, NPTI respects the right of those that do PP, but if
the People who PP fall significantly, we will have to revisit that
question. Certainly if enough people do not PP, that space would be
better used by other methods of parking.

Why anyone should be forced to PP is beyond me.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 2nd 03, 04:16 PM
JJ

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Mike:

You and your NPTI are just like all the other NPPTA (No Parallel Parking
Test Agenda) whiners. You just want to dumb-down the driving test so
that any dummy who is fed up with riding his bicycle can just knock off
a simple, multiple-guess written test, then get into a Buick and hit the
road just like us Real Drivers(tm).

I think that not only should Parallel Parking be a requirement on the road
test for a driver's license, but Parallel Parking Proficiency should be
demonstrated at a rate of at least 12 Parallel Parkings per hour (pph).
After all, if you cannot Parallel Park time after time, in a variety of driving
conditions, then you cannot expect to be able to operate a motor vehicle
successfully in the typical urban driving environment.

I hold a Class B Commercial Driver's License, and to pass my road test,
I had to parallel park a 30-foot long bus. I passed my test on the first
attempt, with a perfect score. Any driver who can't park at least as well
as I can is nothing more than a lazy, unmotivated, dumbed-down whiner
who wants the world handed over to him or her on a silver platter, since
all they have to do is parallel park a Dodge Neon or something similar.
Of course, now that Toyota has eliminated the need for most drivers to
parallel park, they'll probably be sending PRM's to the DOT and, with
enough whining, will get the Parallel Parking test reduced or eliminated
in the next "restructuring" of the driver's test.

I'm going to start a new organisation called PHISTS -- Parking Has
Important Status To Safety. We will encourage the use of Parallel
Parking by sponsoring awards programs for drivers who participate in
local parallel parking demonstration events. Attending 100 such events
will earn you your PHISTS Century Award. Other awards programs
will be announced in the future.

As far as I'm concerned, you NPTI/NPPTA whiners can go fly a kite.
You will never achieve the status of us Parallel Parking Tested drivers.
We're better than you, and we can prove it! You couldn't park a Prius
on a football field!

73 de Larry, CDL-B

Good one, hang in there Larry.

Old September 2nd 03, 08:01 PM
Mike Coslo

Larry Roll K3LT wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

[...]

HOWWWWLL! Great Ceasers Ghost Larry! I should have opened this one at
home! Now everyone wants to know what I am laughing hysterically about,
and they are getting to see a grown man cry. Thanks, I needed that!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 2nd 03, 09:44 PM
Jim Hampton

Thanks, Mike, for a most enjoyable thread. I've needed a good chuckle and
this thread provided it.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---

Old September 2nd 03, 09:57 PM
Robert Casey

Yup you got it. Here in Michigan the driving test is two parts. The first
part, which you MUST pass before you can take the actual driving section, is
parking manuevers. These consist of pulling up within 2 feet of but not
over the line, backing into a parking space like those in shopping centers,
and parallel parking.

They don't care specifucally about the ability to park. They just want
you to be
able to demostrate your ability to handle your car to some level of
control. Parking
is a safe way to do that, vs say flying thru a tollgate at highway speed...

Old September 3rd 03, 12:47 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Robert Casey" wrote in message

Yup you got it. Here in Michigan the driving test is two parts. The

first
part, which you MUST pass before you can take the actual driving section,

is
parking manuevers. These consist of pulling up within 2 feet of but not
over the line, backing into a parking space like those in shopping

centers,
and parallel parking.

They don't care specifucally about the ability to park. They just want
you to be
able to demostrate your ability to handle your car to some level of
control. Parking
is a safe way to do that, vs say flying thru a tollgate at highway

speed...

Maneuvering at slow speed is an entirely different skill set than that
required for typical driving speeds. Both must be practiced and one's
ability in parking maneuvers will not give any indication of driving ability
on the street and vice versa. This happens to be the first place I've ever
been where flunking the parallel parking basically leaves you no leeway
(it's worth 5 points and you can only miss 6 altogether on the parking lot
maneuvers). I haven't yet formed an opinion on whether this is good or bad.

The backing into a parking space seemed an odd requirement, as some places,
if you back into the space (in the real world), you can be ticketed. Again
haven't decided if this is good or bad.

The pulling up to the line seems eminently reasonable though.

If they wanted to check your ability before risking their necks on the road
with the examinee, it might be better to have them drive around a set of
pylons at a more normal speed than the ultra-slow parking maneuvers.

Also here in Michigan, the driving tests are no longer administered by the
state but by the driving schools. It costs $45 each time you take the test
although if you fail, part of that is refunded. The fee is on top of what
you already paid to take the Segment I and Segment II driving classes. For
those of you not familiar with Michigan, the schools do not have Driver's Ed
classes anymore. They simply coordinate a schedule with a driving school.
I forget the fee for taking the class ($200 though rings a bell).

This is substantially different than it was a few years ago. It's also
quite different than the state I grew up in and the state where my older
daughter got her license.

Anyway, the state made things tougher in an attempt to reduce teen
accidents. It's apparently been to short a time to evaluate its
effectiveness but preliminary info indicates it may be helping.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 3rd 03, 12:53 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

As far as I'm concerned, you NPTI/NPPTA whiners can go fly a kite.
You will never achieve the status of us Parallel Parking Tested drivers.
We're better than you, and we can prove it! You couldn't park a Prius
on a football field!

HOWWWWLL! Great Ceasers Ghost Larry! I should have opened this one at
home! Now everyone wants to know what I am laughing hysterically about,
and they are getting to see a grown man cry. Thanks, I needed that!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Glad to oblige, Mike!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old September 3rd 03, 01:08 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
Hey, I'll go one further than that. I think they should be tested in the
proper
procedures for changing a tyre on the highway under severe emergency
conditions.

You spent too much time in England. When my tire goes flat on the highway,
I call for help. It's too dangerous to do this on the side of the road,
alone, at night, in the rain (Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh my). I
couldn't resist!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE