Old September 8th 03, 06:29 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

Any ideas for increasing the reenlistment rate?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Hansl:

Yup.

1. - Return U.S. Amateur Radio licensing standards to Pre-Restructuring levels,
including 5, 13, and 20 WPM code testing for Novice, Gen/Adv, and Extra-class
licenses.

2. Tell the entire NCTA to sod off.

3. Get the ARRL to plow every dime's worth of it's net worth into a national,
televised advertising campaign. Get ham radio into the public eye, and stress
the FUN, not the public service (i.e. the work and worry).

4. Get the ARRL to enlist the assistance of any and all celebrity hams in the
accomplishment of #3 above.

5. Get the ARRL to stop pandering to the Welfare State mentality (related to
#1 above.)

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old September 10th 03, 03:27 PM
William H. O'Hara, III

worth into a national, televised advertising campaign. Get
ham radio into the public eye, and stress the FUN, not the
public service (i.e. the work and worry).

4. Get the ARRL to enlist the assistance of any and all
celebrity hams in the accomplishment of #3 above.

5. Get the ARRL to stop pandering to the Welfare State
mentality (related to #1 above.)

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry,

I don't care about what you think. I am tired of trolls
like Charles that respond with hostility to newbie questions
as he often does on the packet newsgroups.

Don't you think it is time to act a little more courteous?
If you don't have anything to say then do not say anything.
Furthermore, if you do not like the amatuer service then
go online to the ULS and resign.

Are you afraid of taking the measly 5 WPM code test over
again, if you change your mind?

Do you drive a truck all day with a wireless connection
and laptop? There are so many vile and wasteful posts
by you in addition to the others. Just cool down for
awhile

Bill
Old September 11th 03, 09:05 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Larry,

This is sort of what I have been saying all along. There are plenty of
people out there that might be interested, (regardless of the state of
testing methods and requirements) but are unaware that amateur radio even
exists!!!!
Of course the argument that "kids" are running to internet is true. Ya
can't run to something if you didn't know it existed in the first
place......

I don't know if they should plow every dime, but there definitely needs to
be a good percentage of the annual budget for PROMOTION, or a good offense
to use a sports term. The other funds other than expenses of doing
business, should obviously be for defense, i.e methods of alerting FCC
officials as well as elected members of the congress and senate as they DO
have influence on the various departments/commisions etc. including the FCC.

This should not only be an ARRL effort but it should also extend to other
organizations as well as on the immediate local level. I have said it
before and I will say it again, I bet for somewhere under $100,000, I (or
others) could make wonderful PSA commercial, and even a full 30 minute show
that could be place on a medium that could be aired over radio and
television, make enough copies of these to get to the radio and television
stations, and cover the cost of shipping to them as well for that amount.
100 grand is a smaller chunk of change, looking at the big picture. Radio
and television are REQUIRED to air a certain percentage of these PSA's of
their broadcast day.

3. Get the ARRL to plow every dime's worth of it's net worth into a

national,
televised advertising campaign. Get ham radio into the public eye, and

stress
the FUN, not the public service (i.e. the work and worry).

Excellent idea. And using a good cross-section of existing celebrity hams,
as well as getting other people that are celebrities involved and licensed
as well would be a good thing too.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

PL-259 loss rate? Ken Bessler Antenna 9 November 8th 04 02:45 PM
Why do monitors flicker on TV? hnmm Antenna 19 January 21st 04 08:30 PM
Single Sideband FM Bruce Kizerian Homebrew 84 October 27th 03 05:52 AM
Latest News - Morse Code Test May Not "Die" at ITU Conference. Ryan, KC8PMX Policy 90 July 11th 03 03:49 AM