Old September 15th 03, 01:53 AM
shephed

"Clint" rattlehead@computronDOTnet wrote in message
LOL!

A good liberal? you have NO idea..... I'm as right wing
and conservative as they come... evidently you don't read
my other posts or in other NG's either, where i'm referred
to as the "jim birch devil"

Clint
KB5ZHT

You can't be a conservative, we believe in earning your way in life, not
having "things" given to you because you are to lazy to EARN them. Sound
familiar Liberal boy?

Conservative my ass!

10-73's!

Old September 15th 03, 03:16 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
link.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
. com...

"Clint" rattlehead@computronDOTnet wrote in message
When I took my drivers test years ago to get a license
to drive an automobile, the never required me to
prove that I could hitch a horse team to a wagon.
The youngsters today, likewise, tell me that the
departments of motor vehicles around the country
do not ask them to prove they are proficient with
buggy whips.

Enough said.

Clint

The youngsters today still tell me that they must learn to use a pencil

and
learn to write script. Typing and word processing are taught AFTER they
have learned to write manually. Enough said.

Bad anology since morse isn't a foundation to any other
body of radio knowledge and/or language skills or
writing skills.

Manual printing and cursive aren't a foundation for any other skills either.
All notes can now be take by digital recorders or entered into a PDA. Bills
can be paid on line eliminating the need to sign checks. Debit cards can be
used in stores and you enter your PIN number. Credit cards could be
converted to that system too. Manual printing and cursive can be totally
eliminated as they are not needed as a foundation for any language skills
since one can learn to read without writing. Composition doesn't need
manual skills either. It can all be done on the typewriter or word
processor.

Let's have a go at "No Handwriting International".

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 15th 03, 07:18 AM
N2EY

In article , "Steve Stone"
writes:

I think anyone who is a train engineer should pass a test for operating a
coal fired steam locomotive

The term usually used is "locomotive engineer"

If the railroad they intend to work for uses coal fired steam locomotives,
learning how to run them would be a good idea.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old September 15th 03, 07:18 AM
N2EY

In article , "Clint"
rattlehead@computronDOTnet writes:

sending and receiving CW isn't a building block
to anything else.....

Yes, it is.

First, it's a building block to the use of the mode on the air. Although other
services have pretty much stopped using Morse Code, hams use it extensivley,
and an amateur license is permission to operate an amateur station, not a
station in another service. Note that the Morse Code tests are at a very basic
level. They're entry-level, nothing more.

Second, if someone wants to actually design and build radio equipment, having
skill in Morse Code permits them to use almost anything from very simple to
very sophisticated equipment to good advantage. Would you expect a newcomer to
radio to build an SSB transceiver as a first project?

now, the electrical principals of what a CW
transmission is, and a knowledge test of that is a good idea, but
that's comparing apples and oranges.

Why should there be *any* written test on theory if all a person wants to do is
operate manufactured radios? If someone doesn't want to build a rig, why should
they have to memorize all those symbols, diagrams and formulas?

I think most of the PCTA
is being disingenuous when they come up with "good reasons"
to keep CW testing alive;

Why?

I think the true deeper reason lies
somewhere in the "I had to do it so everybody should" relm,
as i've stated before.

You can think what you want, but you're mistaken on that account.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 15th 03, 07:18 AM
N2EY

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"Clint" rattlehead@computronDOTnet wrote in message

The youngsters today still tell me that they must learn to use a pencil

and
learn to write script. Typing and word processing are taught AFTER they
have learned to write manually. Enough said.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

yes, if we were talking about a degree in literature from a school or
college,
which we are not.

Clint
KB5ZHT

This is elementary school, middle school, and high school. Perhaps I should
have used the word cursive instead of script as you seem to have totally
misinterpreted my statement to mean something else.

Students must learn printing and writing in cursive before they are taught
typing and word processing.

Yep. And they must learn to do basic arithmetic *by hand* even though
calculators and computers are inexpensive and widely available.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 15th 03, 01:41 PM
Clint

sending and receiving CW isn't a building block
to anything else.....

Yes, it is.

okay, time to fish or cut bait... in what way is CW
a building block to the operation of a ham radio
that you can't say about so many other more
modern, up to date and applicable modes?

I mean, ORIGINALLY, the first communication that
was EVER sent was a spark with a spark generator.
The do not require you to show profeciency in building
a spark generator and using it; if you say "well, we just
SKIP that step and go to CW", then you can say that
about EVERY step along the way of learning
ham radio.

Clint
KB5ZHT

Old September 15th 03, 01:53 PM
Clint

Let's have a go at "No Handwriting International".
Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Exaggeration to the ridiculous.

spurious analogies are in the PCTA handbook, bill.

Clint
KB5ZHT

Old September 15th 03, 01:55 PM
Clint

If the railroad they intend to work for uses coal fired steam locomotives,
learning how to run them would be a good idea.

yes, exactly.

I guess it's too bad that there aren't that many coal fired steam
locomotives
being used anymore.

Clint
KB5ZHT

Old September 15th 03, 05:10 PM
Bert Craig

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
link.net...

"shephed" wrote in message

"Clint" rattlehead@computronDOTnet wrote in message
LOL!

A good liberal? you have NO idea..... I'm as right wing
and conservative as they come... evidently you don't read
my other posts or in other NG's either, where i'm referred
to as the "jim birch devil"

Clint
KB5ZHT

You can't be a conservative, we believe in earning your way in life, not
having "things" given to you because you are to lazy to EARN them. Sound
familiar Liberal boy?

Conservative my ass!

Earning your way is fine...as long as the requirement(s)
is relevent...that's were you lose your argument.

Well Bill, I'm on the bottom of 40 right now listening to a band FULL of
irrelevance. hihi

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI