Old September 16th 03, 06:09 AM
Len Over 21

In article .net, "Bill Sohl"
writes:

"shephed" wrote in message
.. .

"Clint" rattlehead@computronDOTnet wrote in message
LOL!

A good liberal? you have NO idea..... I'm as right wing
and conservative as they come... evidently you don't read
my other posts or in other NG's either, where i'm referred
to as the "jim birch devil"

Clint
KB5ZHT

You can't be a conservative, we believe in earning your way in life, not
having "things" given to you because you are to lazy to EARN them. Sound
familiar Liberal boy?

Conservative my ass!

Earning your way is fine...as long as the requirement(s)
is relevent...that's were you lose your argument.

"Shepherd" LOST his argument when he started tawkin tuff with a pseudonym
refusing to identify herself.

Must have "caught" something from one of the sheep... :-)

LHA
Old September 16th 03, 06:09 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dick Carroll
writes:

Bill Sohl wrote:

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
. com...

"Clint" rattlehead@computronDOTnet wrote in message
When I took my drivers test years ago to get a license
to drive an automobile, the never required me to
prove that I could hitch a horse team to a wagon.
The youngsters today, likewise, tell me that the
departments of motor vehicles around the country
do not ask them to prove they are proficient with
buggy whips.

Enough said.

Clint

The youngsters today still tell me that they must learn to use a pencil

and
learn to write script. Typing and word processing are taught AFTER they
have learned to write manually. Enough said.

Bad anology since morse isn't a foundation to any other
body of radio knowledge and/or language skills or
writing skills.

Wrong, because radiotelegraphy IS the most basic radio communications mode,
the use of which is possible only if the operator has self-trained enough to
be able to make use of it.

Tsk, tsk. A push-to-talk voice transmitter and an ordinary receiver is all
the
BASICS to effect communications by radio.

No need for "self-trained" morsemen...or even those trained by the military.

Morsemen are needed at BOTH ends of the radio circuit. Very specialized
and NOT at all "basic."

Bad logic, senior.
Old September 16th 03, 07:12 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Jeesh... Don't get Mike going with that one!! HI HI

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Let's have a go at "No Handwriting International".

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 16th 03, 07:13 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

And who is making those requirements is a factor as well in the argument.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Earning your way is fine...as long as the requirement(s)
is relevent...that's were you lose your argument.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old September 16th 03, 03:53 PM
Brian

Dick Carroll wrote in message ...
Brian wrote:

"Clint" rattlehead@computronDOTnet wrote in message ...

I tell you what; next time you're operating a motor vehicle, drive
as fast as you can... I mean pedal to the medal; do over 100mph
if you can. when a policeman pulls you over and hands you
a ticket, then tell him "I am driving at a perfectly safe speed for my
skills. Your oppinion and that of the judge that I am about to have
to go in front of are not relavant. It is an immutable fact that
a driver is not a good driver unless he can do 100 without wrecking,
which I did. That's a fact, and you can't do anything about it."

and just see what happens.

Clint
KB5ZHT
a code-tested ham who, regardless of the fact, does not believe
in code testing.

Clint, first, DICK is in Missouri. Second, he used to drill 7/8"
holes in the rooftops of police cars. He probably can drive 100+
miles an hour, yet never even have to see a judge. That's just the
way things are in Missouri.

And don't try to tell him anything about the FCC. He used to know a
guy that used to work at the FCC, so he knows all about it. Past,
present, and future.

Not to worry. The actuarial tables will solve all. They may be
painfully slow, but huge corporations have lots of faith and money
riding on the fact that they are immutable.

Babble, babble, babble & rave on! Brainiac, the Village Idiot at his finest!

BTW how would YOU know what size hole goes in the roof of cars?
You beern there and done that, hey??? And since you DON'T know, not a single one of our cars used
the rooftop for antennas.

You woulda if you coulda figured out how to deal with the headliner.
You shoulda found someone with a little finesse.

Beyond that, all the installations were done at a central radio shop, not
by field engineers.

Probably was a pain in the buttocks and got shipped to the field.
Happens all the time.

You sure are a fart smeller!

Hey... you really want to watch that rush hour trafic, now. Those tables you're so sure of might
catch up with you a bit early, you know.....Happens every day. *I* made it through those days
intact......

DICK, don't know exactly what happened, but you are NOT intact.
Old September 16th 03, 05:36 PM
N2EY

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(N2EY)
writes:

In article , "Clint"
rattlehead@computronDOTnet writes:

sending and receiving CW isn't a building block
to anything else.....

Yes, it is.

First, it's a building block to the use of the mode on the air. Although other
services have pretty much stopped using Morse Code, hams use it extensivley,
and an amateur license is permission to operate an amateur station, not a
station in another service.

Roger that, Reverend Jim...

Who is "Reverend Jim", Len? You and Brian Burke keep using that name
to address someone.

It can't be me, because I graduated from electrical engineering
school, not divinity school. And my name isn't Ignatowski ;-)

What engineering school did you graduate from, Len?

IN the Archaic Radiotelegraphy Service...

No such thing exists.

I've been "in" the Amateur Radio Service for almost 36 years. You have
not done so for even one day.

Note that the Morse Code tests are at a very
basic level. They're entry-level, nothing more.

Well, "there ya go."

Glad you agree!

Second, if someone wants to actually design and build radio equipment, having
skill in Morse Code permits them to use almost anything from very simple to
very sophisticated equipment to good advantage. Would you expect a newcomer
to radio to build an SSB transceiver as a first project?

I built a simple battery powered voice transmitter back in 1948.

That's nice, Len. On what amateur band did you bootleg with it? Or was
it a broadcast band device so you could pretend you were on "Ted
Mack's Amateur Hour"? ;-)

I built a simple *AC line powered* Morse/CW transmitter back in 1967.
Covered the 80 and 40 meter bands. Required a valid Amateur Radio
license to operate.

Single tube, very low power, worked fine for a whole block.

Ah - several hundred feet.

My transmitter was single tube, 10 watts, worked fine for several
hundred *miles*. Despite my homemade receiver, lackluster antenna and
entry-level skills. ;-) :-) ;-P

Was 14 then. :-)

I was 13 then ;-) :-) ;-) --;

Perhaps that's why you want FCC to stop licensing people under the age
of 14 - they might do things you did not do at that age. Oh wait, some
of us have already done so.....

now, the electrical principals of what a CW
transmission is, and a knowledge test of that is a good idea, but
that's comparing apples and oranges.

Comparing apples and oranges is fine for the produce market,

Are you a fruit, Len? ;-)

Why should there be *any* written test on theory if all a person wants to do

is
operate manufactured radios? If someone doesn't want to build a rig, why

should
they have to memorize all those symbols, diagrams and formulas?

Well then, you WANT type-accepted radios in amateur radio?!?

Not me.

Was your 1948 'transmitter' type-accepted?

Why would you WANT such a thing?

I don't. Why do you think I want such a thing?

I simply asked:

"Why should there be *any* written test on theory if all a person
wants to
do is operate manufactured radios? If someone doesn't want to build a
rig,
why should they have to memorize all those symbols, diagrams and
formulas?"

Nothing about "type-accepted radios" - which term isn't used any more,
anyway.

Why are you avoiding that simple question?
Old September 16th 03, 11:52 PM
Clint

Top nations that fund UN treasury,
in descending order...

United States: 22%
Japan: 19.6%
Germany: 9.8%
France: 6.5%
UK: 5.6%
Italy 5.1%
Canada: 2.6%
Spain: 2.5%

Russia isn't even in this top 8 list.
France, Russia and Germany, COMBINED,
do not contribute as much to the UN as
does the United States......

--

"Bert Craig" wrote in message news:_Wu9b.222

Nice concept on paper, but in the real world... Quite frankly, what

example
has NCI given to the prospective ham? It sure doesn't exemplify the values
of a "self-starter."

so where is it written, and what proof is there, that ONLY cw training
is exemplifies one as being "a self starter"? Would you say that means
all the other fields of studies and all the other areas of discipline are
full of "non starters" because CW isn't part of the agenda?

just the idea of getting into ham radio, studying to pass the exames
and learning to put together a station is, in and of itself, an example
of a self-starter, since on only the will and love of the hobby drove
the person to do it. They didn't HAVE to for any reason.

Couldn't care how slow...as long as said CW/Data sub-bands remain intact.

hm, now how ODD... a certain OTHER PCTA type in this very thread
told me that here "is not a CW portion of any band, there never has
been"....
are you saying there are, and there HAS been? *GASP*