Old December 23rd 03, 12:15 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Greg Doughty" wrote in message
Wow! Thanks so much for the support. I thought I would get some

negative
feedback but you guys are awesome. As far as setting up times, my

daughter is
usually in bed by about 9pm. I get nervous though. That is what blew

it
the
first time I took the code. It's funny too, I find it difficult to

send
as
well, but I read a lot about how people find sending easier than

receiving. I
actually have to write down what I want to send before I do it. Oh

well,
practice makes perfect!!!

73
Greg

That's because we've all been there and done that. Early on I had a

real
old-timer answer me and he must have been going at least 35wpm, probably
been doing code since radio began. After several requests, he got down

what I could handle, about 10wpm, and stayed with me for a few minutes

and
then gracefully said goodbye. I sensed that going so slow was a strain

for
him but he still was willing to spend a few minutes with me.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

It really is difficult for those able to copy above 30 wpm to slow down to
ten. Its not a macho thing, really.

Also now a days many folks use puters to send and readers to copy. Ive

been
answered by someone going 20 when I called at 40 and they copied just

fine,
and no ask for a QRS.

But, what I do is slow down if answered by someone slower than I was
sending. I feel that is courtesy and good operating practice.

Also be aware that this time of year the low bands are skipping out like
crazy. If your too close together you may not hear each other at night.

Dan/W4NTI

Well in a contest, I've answered those going faster than I can without
expecting them to slow down as I've generally got the info by listening
through their response several times before I throw in my call. However I'm
relieved when they do slow down automatically as then I can verify what I
have when they answer.

I personally do not use a code reader as that limits me to answering
stations only when conditions are good, the signal is loud and the sending
consists of nearly perfectly formed code. I've worked stations in contests
that were so faint that I wasn't sure they got the exchange until they sent
the "TU". Another time, I was one of the operators at a special event
station and conditions were bad but several stations contacted us on CW and
I'm quite sure that a code reader would have failed as the static was high
and the signals distorted. One guy even sent us a thank you for working so
hard to copy him. He really wanted to make the contact as he was a Civil War
buff and we were commemorating the first Medal of Honor and it's winner. I
happened to be the one to work him and it meant a lot that he enclosed the
special thank you note.

Now when conditions are right for a code reader to work, yes, it beats me
hands down. But when conditions are less than ideal, I find that I do a
better job even though I don't work code enough to be really good at it.

For casual conversation instead of contesting, I'll need the other station
to slow down. 15 wpm is my comfort level as more than that I have a tough
time writing that fast (I'm working on head copy but that will take awhile
yet).

So Dan, if you come across me on the bands, slow down to my speed as I don't
and won't use a code reader. Maybe someday, I'll finally be good at it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 23rd 03, 01:30 AM
Jerry

Hey Greg, I know the stagefright thing. I passed my 5 wpm many years ago.
Wasn t good enough to pass 13 to get My General in '76. Dropped out of ham
pretty much until 2001. Got into SSB at first and late last year regained my
interest in CW. I am still trying to break the barrier of 13 wpm but can t
copy it on paper. Download the Koch Software Program by G4FON. It will play
text on random characters from your computer. Read the free book on CW by
N0HFF. Downloadable in pdf format. I am using the 200 most common words and
playing them alternatively at 15 and 20 WPM. I use CW Morse to convert to wav
files and record them on cd. At first 20 wpm was a total blur. Now I can pick
up about half the words at 20 wpm.
Some of the experts say not to pick up a key until you can copy 13 wpm. That
may be true.
My goal is to copy CW faster than I can send it. Listen to code faster than
what you can currently copy. The best challenge is the OM who sends a couple
of words per minute more than I am comfortable with. There is an order to the
progression of a qso, so it's relatively easy to pick up name, qth, signal,
rig, etc

Have fun learning 73's
Jerry
Old December 23rd 03, 03:03 AM
Greg Doughty

Very cool! I am now listening more than ever. I will occassionally go onto an
open freq and send CQ just to see if I can pick up a slow contact. But I send
s l o w. Great advice though about progression- What would cw be to me if I
just kept trying to find folks with 5wpm . . . I would always be at 5wpm! I
really appreciate the kind words.

Thanks
73
Greg

Old December 24th 03, 02:46 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article mPrFb.774519$6C4.748277@pd7tw1no, VA7LNX
writes:

speaking of bands, what's a good band to start on for CW.

I suggest 40 meters, if you're seeking one band. It has good DX
propogation characteristics throughout the year, and there is a lot of
CW activity. After 40, your next best bet is 20, which is where I
spend most of my operating time.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old December 24th 03, 03:17 AM
JJ

G. Doughty wrote:

Well, passed my element one with no problems yesterday and have been trying to
get some contacts on hf with cw. I love cw but 5wpm just isn't cutting it so I
am back to Numorse to bring up my speed. Anyone out there that tried a contact
with me, sorry. I was forever putting out QRS and still not getting it all. I
will be back though as I cannot use phone when the baby is sleeping. The light
*tick-ticking* on the straight key doesn't disturb her as much as me talking.

Thanks
73
G. Doughty

Congrats on getting the ticket! I spent a lot of time in the wee hours
of the morning on the 40 meter novice band with the new daughter propped
on my crossed leg, working the key with one hand and holding the bottle
with the other. Now the daughter has two of her own and another on the way.

Old December 24th 03, 05:00 PM
Greg Doughty

Congrats on getting the ticket! I spent a lot of time in the wee hours
of the morning on the 40 meter novice band with the new daughter propped
on my crossed leg, working the key with one hand and holding the bottle

That is cool!! We are now expecting another one and as my wife and I take
turns with night duty, I think the soft glow of the transceiver and the tick
tick may be the ticket to helping the little one go to sleep. What a great
excuse to cw. It makes it hard to copy though!

Thanks

73
Greg

Old December 24th 03, 07:12 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Greg Doughty" wrote in message
Congrats on getting the ticket! I spent a lot of time in the wee hours
of the morning on the 40 meter novice band with the new daughter propped
on my crossed leg, working the key with one hand and holding the bottle

That is cool!! We are now expecting another one and as my wife and I take
turns with night duty, I think the soft glow of the transceiver and the

tick
tick may be the ticket to helping the little one go to sleep. What a

great
excuse to cw. It makes it hard to copy though!

Thanks

73
Greg

At first yes, but you will eventually start copying in your head and won't
need to do much other than take notes. Enjoy.

Dan/W4NTI

Special General coverage RX FS milradio Equipment 0 December 10th 03 01:55 PM
Special General coverage RX FS milradio General 0 December 10th 03 01:55 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
No Code General Twistedhed Homebrew 40 November 16th 03 03:02 PM
Tech+ to General upgrade question N2EY Policy 5 July 6th 03 04:43 AM