RadioBanter

-   -   New ARRL Proposal (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27225-new-arrl-proposal.html)

N2EY January 22nd 04 08:19 PM

"Tom W" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:00:25 GMT, Dee D. Flint wrote:

"google blogger" wrote in message
roups.com...

Looks like the Ivy League also has **finally** realized that the Incentive
License disaster of the 1960's pretty much trashed ham radio.

Learn your history. ARRL fought that proposal. That was solely the idea of
the FCC.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Learn *your* history. It was the ARRL which first proposed incentive
licensing.

From http://www.qsl.net/ecara/wayback/page13.html:

"In summary, although the vast number of hams were satisfied, a small
minority had complaints. And the ARRL listened. In 1963, acting on
complaints they claim they received from members and operators in
other countries, the ARRL proposed "Incentive Licensing." In an
editorial, the ARRL implied that perhaps it was a mistake when the
Class B and Generals were given the 75 and 20 meter phone segments.
The ARRL's stand was now clear. Exclusive frequencies must be restored
to the Advanced and Extra class amateurs in order to give the Generals
an "incentive" to upgrade. Of course, what was left unsaid was that in
order to do so, frequencies would have to be taken away from the
General class hams."

Unfortunately, that's not quite how it happened.

FCC thought that hams would go for the Extra after 1953 simply
"because it
was there". And some did - but not many.

As early as 1958, FCC asked why there were so few Extras. They were
concerned about certain trends in amateur radio they didn't care
for, such as increasing use of manufactured equipment whose inner
workings the ham-owner had only a vague concept of.

FCC asked ARRL for proposals in 1958, and again in 1963. ARRL put
together a
very simple proposal in 1963, *in response to* FCC's request. It
consisted
of just two items:

1) Reopen the Advanced class license to new applicants (it had been
closed
at the end of 1952)

2) Require an Advanced or Extra class license to use 'phone on the 80,
40,
20 and 15 meter ham bands. (back then 30, 17 and 12 meters were not
ham bands).

That was the whole proposal. No additional code testing would be
needed to
retain full privileges. No subbands-by-license-class except those
already
in place for Novices. No new limitations on CW. Existing Advanceds
wouldn't have to do a thing. Existing Generals and Conditionals would
have to take
one additional written test to get their 80 thru 15 'phone privileges
back.

This proposal was nothing new - it was essentially a return to the old
"ABC" system that had existed from the mid '30s to February 1953, and
which FCC
had revised in 1951 by adding Novice, Tech and Extra and renaming the
ABC classes of license.

The 1963 ARRL proposal got an RM number and the commentary began...

FCC looked at that simple proposal, and then asked for more. They got
quite
a bit of response from the amateur committee, and at least 10 of the
proposals were assigned RM numbers. There were at least 11 proposals
with
RM numbers by 1965.

Commentary to ARRL was mixed, to say the least, but a slight majority
were
in favor of "incentive licensing" changes. ARRL and FCC took that as a
mandate...

Out of all these proposals FCC put together ideas and came up with a
proposed
scheme that bore little resemblance to the 1963 ARRL proposal. It was
far more
draconian, restrictive and encompassing than anything ARRL proposed,
and was strongly opposed. Finally a compromise was announced in 1967.

Over 6000 comments were received by FCC on the matter, even though the
number
of hams back then was less than a quarter million and there were no
online
comment systems. The whole process took years (1963-1967).

Most hams then and today are not aware that FCC asked first. But they
did.

And I'll ask the question again:

How did incentive licensing "trash ham radio"?

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY January 22nd 04 08:24 PM

"KØHB" wrote in message hlink.net...
"N2EY" wrote

I recall Hans predicting a 15 wpm code test for Extra as part ot the
ARRL
proposal.....

You recall wrong.

You are correct, sir! I was mistaken. Sorry.

You predicted 12-13 wpm.

To see my actual prediction, do a google group search
on "ARRL BoD platitudes" without the quotes.

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

And here it is!

73 de Jim, N2EY

The following is a direct copy of Hans' post in original format:

BEGIN GOOGLE QUOTE:

From: "KØHB"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.policy
Subject: The Pool
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 00:41:13 GMT

"N2EY" wrote

Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

Given that ARRL likely will lobby for continuing a code test for
Amateur
Extra (12-13WPM?) applicants, I predict that Morse testing will not be
eliminated in this decade.

While it's a cop out, it's probably the only way they can get 15
politicians
to sign up for a "New Amateur Radio Plan" without a palace revolt on
their
hands at the BoD meeting. They'll be able to go back to East
Overshoe, Iowa
and Resume Speed, Arizona and mumble platitudes to their membership
about
how "We've opened HF to non-Morse applicants, but where it really
counts we
actually increased the Morse requirement."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

73, de Hans, K0HB

END GOOGLE QUOTE

Len Over 21 January 22nd 04 08:31 PM

In article ,
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

SEEK HELP Lennie! That "rage" thing is burning you up!

You snitched some Uppers from the hospital medicine room again?

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

LHA / WMD

Len Over 21 January 22nd 04 08:31 PM

In article , Paul W. Schleck
writes:

You probably realized that Dee D. may be assuming the role of "devil's
advocate" here (by overplaying an idea to generate further discussion).
In other words, we might not want to take her words at face value until
she clarifies what she really means.

So, Dee D., what did you really mean to say above?

Paul, I appreciate your "guidance" in newsgroupism, but let's clear
the board and outline a few things -

1. Double-D has claimed that I am on her "killfile." That means
"she doesn't read any of my postings" for whatever righteous
reasons she has (such as puritanism and syncophancy of
some unclear "amateur ideals").

2. Killfiling may be good for removing those mouthing vulgarities
and obscenities ("deleting explitives" like 'heck' and 'darn') but
it is also an ostrich syndrome, burying one's head in the virtual
sand of righteous thoughts of the "ideal" so that "impure"
thoughts (differences from righteous personal opinions) are
filtered out.

3. Those who claim "killfiling" are irresistable open targets for
commentary, taking pot-shots against the syncophants, the
sanctimonious self-righteous self-propelled "experts" and
olde-tymers's ideas. In Double-D's case she has exhibited
Parentalism, that of treating others not thinking as she does
as "little children needing to be taught the Right way..."

4. Hunting Season is ALWAYS open on the Internet. If you wish
to "guide appropriate behavior," there are several in HERE who
are likely recipients of "guidance and counseling." QED.

5. For proper sanctimonity (sanctimoniousism?) of the self-righteous
olde-tymers, you and the newsgroup ruling triad (are you still one
of those?) should CLOSE the public access here, install a
monitor, demand a showing of "papers" for access. That is the
proper way to Control Thought. An ultimate in Ostrich Syndrome.

6. Obvious Pro-Code Test Advocates do NOT play "Devil's Advocate."
Those are hide-bound olde-tyme-thinking PCTAs who are not
only sanctimonious self-righteous self-important self-propelled
"experts" but are all seriously devoid of a sense of humor. They
are so stuck on the "proper" way to act that their rigidity
collapses in the slightest breeze of independent thought...and
they quickly lapse into anger (sometimes hatred) against the
independent person, oft-times jumping into puerile barbaric
behavior of using personal insults rather than arguing subjects.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum by all that is Google and DejaNews.

7. Independence of Thought is a cherished item in the United
States of America since its beginning a scant 228 years ago.
So much so that it is incorporated into the First Amendment
of our Constitution to make it clear what we citizens can say to
our government. By tradition and independent spirit, we
Americans also cherish being able to pot-shoot politician's
opinions and their political parties. ARRL is a political entity
as well as a publishing house and is NOT any sort of agency
of the federal government; they are more open for pot-shooting
than any feds despite the santimony expressed by their devout
followers of the Church of St. Hiram.

8. "The Devil made me do it." :-)

LHA / WMD

KØHB January 22nd 04 08:56 PM

Unfortunately, I overestimated the amount of balls carried by the BoD.
Not only didin't they have the balls to recommend complete elimination
of the Morse exam, but in recommending that Morse testing be continued
for "EXTRA", the speed they recommended was the same count-the-dots 5WPM
which Novices have been passing for over a half-century.

Pathetic!

73, de Hans, K0HB

"N2EY" wrote

Robert Casey January 22nd 04 09:36 PM

KØHB wrote:

Unfortunately, I overestimated the amount of balls carried by the BoD.
Not only didin't they have the balls to recommend complete elimination
of the Morse exam, but in recommending that Morse testing be continued
for "EXTRA", the speed they recommended was the same count-the-dots 5WPM
which Novices have been passing for over a half-century.

IIRC, most VEs give the code test using farnsworth method. That is, 13
wpm characters
spaced at 5 wpm rate. Harder to count the dahs dots. Idea is that one
can get faster
at code quicker, as you learn the sounds of letters instead of counting
the dots.

Way back when, I had to receive and *send* with an FCC provided straight
key 5wpm.
I think that the FCC found that nobody ever failed sending if they could
receive, so they
dropped the send test.

N2EY January 22nd 04 09:41 PM

Alun wrote in message . ..
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
gy.com:

"Alun" wrote in message
I see no benefit in giving over 7125-7150 to phone. 7075-7100, for
example, would be the same size and in a more useful place. Moreover,
it would harmonise Region 2 US hams with US hams outside R2.

This will crowd the CW/digital/data modes too much since there are so
many US hams. It would be better to wait for the other treaty changes
from the conference to take affect and synchronize Regions 1 and 3 with
Region 2. You do know of course that the treaty now requires
broadcasters to move out of 7.1 to 7.2 and that this will become an
exclusive amateur allocation.

Of course I do, but do you think they will really move?

Yes. They agreed to it in the treaty.

Some may, but I think some of them never will.

Why?

Many countries are reducing or even eliminating their SWBC operations.
The others have agreed to move, and they have about 3 years to do so.

In the 60s and 70s, SWBC was so crowded that some countries moved
*below*
7100. Complaints from ARRL and others to the various State Departments
got them to move. The only real failure of the "Intruder Watch" of
those days
was the woodpecker, which was an OTHR system. It was made to move by
other means ;-)

I don't recall the timing but it is
required in the treaty.

Three years or so IIRC. Maybe before FCC drops Element 1.

Perhaps someday, the ITU will open up the 7.2
to 7.3 to the other regions. In the meantime, 7.150 to 7.200 could be
a worldwide phone allocation. This is actually more space than either
of the suggested proposals.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I'm assuming that this will happen anyway. I just meant that 7075-7100,
where of course there is already phone, would be more use to phone ops than
the proposed 7125-7150, where there isn't.

If the USA opens 7075-7100 to 'phone, all that will happen is the DX
'phones
will move still lower in the band to get away. There are already some
on 7050
and lower - and many of them are in R2!

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY January 22nd 04 09:57 PM

Alun wrote in message . ..
(N2EY) wrote in
om:

Alun wrote in message
.. .
(N2EY) wrote in
om:

Alun wrote in message
. ..
(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun
writes:

(N2EY) wrote in news:c2356669.0401191008.a3c8376
:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

The _only_ merit to that is that testing was free for Novices, so
it would reintroduce a free licence class.

Not part of the proposal as I read it.

As I understand it, the law providing free testing for Novices
remains on the books. Hence, it really does matter what the entry
level licence is called. If it is re-named 'Novice', then the test
is free.

No, it's not part of the proposal, and having since read the whole
thing on the ARRL web site, it appears that the league haven't
thought about this particular wrinkle, as they say that the name is
still open and it could be called something else.

Unless K0HB is mistaken, no such rule exists in Part 97. And since
no new Novices have been issued in almost 4 years, it's a bit of a
moot point.

But it might be a nice thing for VECs to do...

As best as I can follow it a statute made testing free for Novices, and a
later administrative decision closed the class to new entrants.

No such statute exists. If it did, it would be in Part 97.

Obviously
the FCC don't have to include in Part 97 a rule giving free testing for
Novices whilst there are no Novice tests, but if they re-started Novice
testing it would have to be free. I admit I could be wrong, but that is how
I understand it, unless someone can show me proof to the contrary.

The nonexistence of something cannot be proven. There used to be a
rule in Part 97 that Novice tests were free.

The new Novice would replace the existing Technician class as the
entry level exam. It would have less power and fewer VHF/UHF
privileges, but more HF privileges.

Provided the new class that happened to
be called Novice had Tech Plus privileges and they had to pass
the current Element 2 I would have no trouble with that

Why?

I thought the old Novice was too easy

Why? The old 20-25 question Novice I took in 1967 at the age of 13
was adequate to keep me out of trouble, even though my first station
was homebrewed from junk parts. And that Novice license started me
on the path to Advanced in about a year, Extra in about 3 years and
BSEE in a little over 8 years....

And there were many many Novices like me. If an entry level license
keeps the newbies out of trouble and inspires them to learn and do
more, isn't that just about perfect?

Well?

Think about it - what exactly *should* an entry-level license do? If
it insures that newcomers know enough to keep out of trouble (on the
air, anyway,) gives them a sample of what amateur radio is about, and
inspires them to learn and do more with ham radio, isn't that just
about perfect?

I don't see very many people having any great difficulty with the present
Element 2, so why does it need to be easier?

Present Element 2 is for the VHF/UHF-centric Tech. The more balanced
"NewNovice"
simply needs a different test.

The privileges would be more
than the old Novice as well.

Yep - and much less in some ways than the Tech.

Each license level needs a test tailored to its privileges and intent.

Current Element 2 is very VHF/UHF centric, and so are current
Tech Plus privs. The goal seems to be to strike more of a balance
between above and below 30 MHz privileges.

So change the question pool, but don't dumb it down

How do we define "dumbing it down"? If 35 questions are adequate for
all amateur VHF/UHF at full meat-cooking power, plus 200 watts on
parts of HF, shouldn't 25 be adequate for the limited privs proposed
for the Novice?

How much is it reasonable to expect a newcomer to learn in order to be
turned loose with ~100 watts on parts of HF and ~25 watts on parts of
VHF/UHF?

To put it another way, why shouldn't the Techs have all those proposed HF
privileges, since they have passed a test with more questions than that
proposed?

It would be reasonable for exiting Techs to keep their existing
license name
and VHF/UHF privileges, *and* get "NewNovice" privileges on HF.

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

Predictably, I do have a problem with that.

Me too. Should be at least 13 and preferably 20 wpm. Sending and
receiving.

Won't happen

Probably not, but it's still a good idea.

Morse skill testing for voice privileges is illogical and should
be dumped.

It's no more illogical than testing theory in order to be allowed
to use manufactured equipment.

Not in my opinion

It's the same argument used against the code test. Why *must* a ham
learn all that theory to use manufactured, approved gear with no
critical adjustments? Heck, most ham gear today won't transmit out
of band unless modified!

Moreover, it can be now,
since it has not been required by the ITU for the last six
months.

FCC will most probably just drop it completely.

I think they will too

Unfortunately

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra,

OK

Why OK? Why not simply carry the Advanceds as a separate class,
as has been done for the past 3 years and 9 months?

Can't stand loose ends

What's the problem? FCC kept the Advanced on the books from 1953 to
1967 even though no new ones were issued and the license conveyed no
additional privileges at all.

Do those loose ends really cause any problems?

Confusion?

Whose? Not FCC's!

Besides, Element 4A had most of the harder questions anyway.

Not really. I passed old Element 4A back in 1968, at the age of 14,
between 8th and 9th grades. I wasn't even intending to try it - I was
at the FCC for the 13 wpm code, and the examiner said "why not try
Advanced while you're here?". So I did.

How hard could it have really been if I passed it first-time under
those circumstances?

Techs and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

Not OK in this scenario, given my comments above

Agreed - but why is it OK for Advanceds to get a free upgrade to
Extra, but not OK for Techs and Tech Pluses to get free upgrade
to General?

What is the fundamental difference that makes one freebie OK but
not the other?

As I see it, the new Novice would be a replacement for the Tech,
which is already pretty easy

Exactly. But that doesn't answer the question. You want Advanceds to
get free upgrades to avoid ~82,000 loose ends, but not Techs and
Tech pluses, who would
amount to ~322,000 loose ends.

I don't see why one and not the other.

'Phone image subbands for 80/40/15 widened slightly

Good.

Bad.

Some phone below 7100? No? Why not?

That space is needed for CW and digital modes.

Better to keep those on the Novice freqs and refarm more useful
spectrum to phone

Why reward the most spectrum-inefficent modes? Why not digital
voice?

It has worse S/N performance than SSB

That depends entirely on the type of encoding and modulation used,
doesn't it?
Can you categorically say that digital voice can *never* outperform
SSB?

Old Novice subbands replaced by additional CW/data
and 'phone subbands on 80/40/15. Novices also get privs on 6,
2, 222, and 440

See above

Please clarify.

I see no benefit in giving over 7125-7150 to phone.

25 kHz more.

7075-7100, for example,
would be the same size and in a more useful place. Moreover, it
would harmonise Region 2 US hams with US hams outside R2.

Hams outside Region 2 will be getting 7100-7200 anyway. Let them
harmonize with us.

US hams outside R2 already have 7075-7100 phone

Only because they don't have 7100-7200. US hams outside R2 are rare
enough to be conidered "DX" anyway.

Read it again. *US* hams outside R2

I did. As they get 7100-7200, any reason to have 'phone below
7100 goes away completely.

Only when:-

1 - all the broadcasters have moved, probably circa the year 2100;

Why do they *all* have to move? And the timetable is 2007, IIRC

and

2 - all the countries have 7100-7200, which might almost take as long

I think you just want to have 7075-7100 regardless of what would
happen.

Novice power level set below that requiring RF exposure
evaluation

OK

Agreed.

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics",

Not OK

Why not? Current Element 2 is only 35 questions! And it has a lot
more ground to cover, including all amateur VHF/UHF bands and
modes, power up to "meat cooking" levels (love that WK3C phrase)
and much more.

By reducing the entry-level privs, 25 questions should be enough.

With that power limit you could take out the RF exposure questions,
but I think the test is already easy enough.

To a beginner, it's not so easy.

My XYL passed Elements 2 and 3A, and she has no real interest in radio.

That's one example.

General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

What do you actually think of this proposal yourself, Jim? You
don't say here.

See above. A few good ideas and a few bad ideas. Obviously the
work of a committee looking to give everyone something they want,
but not giving anyone everything they want.

What will FCC do?

First off, they may just go for the "new Novice", in an effort to
attract more new hams.

Re-naming the Tech as a Novice would make the test free under
existing law. That has some appeal.

See above about the "law".

Second, they will probably just dump Element 1.

Agreed

Third, they will probably not hand out free upgrades because it
costs them little or nothing to keep the closed-off classes.

I think that for some reason their computers are only set up to
handle 5 classes of licence, but I guess that works out as there
won't be two types of Tech anymore (this is also the reason why
they aren't recorded differently right now).

Incorrect!

Before restructuring, their computers handled 6 classes of license
(Novice, Tech, Tech Plus, General, Advanced, Extra). In fact their
computers *still* handle 6 classes! So there should be no problem at
all.

And as Tech Pluses continue to be renewed as Techs, expire, and
upgrade, that class will disappear completely.

I personally am not in favour of keeping closed licence classes,
though. I think it is better to move on.

I agree, but not at the price of giveaways just to make things look
neater.

Better that than the only possible alternative - taking privileges
away

But is there really any reason not to simply continue those license
classes? That's a much, much better option than freebies or removing
privileges.

No it's not. If we abolish them we can sort out all the subbands.

Why are the subbands a problem?

How would you feel if it were decided to give all existing hams
except Novices a free upgrade to Extra, then have just two classes -
"Limited" (new name for Novice) and "Full" (everybody else)?

73 de Jim, N2EY

I would be OK with that only if the Techs got only a limited licence.

Why would Techs be singled out for a limited license? They have full
privs above 50 MHz.

would have no problem with giving Generals a full licence.

By your reasoning, there's no reason to have the Extra, then. Nor its
test.

Correct.

So you're for reducing the *written test* requirements for a full
privileges license.

Bad idea.

Of course, to be
fair you would have to extend that to Techs with old Element 3.

Where ya been, Alun?

Techs with old Element 3 (licensed before March 21, 1987) can get a
General
license *today* with no additional testing. Just show up at a VE
session with
proof of such license, fill out the 605 and pay the VE fee. Instant
General.
And if such a ham can pass the Extra written (might as well try, the
same
VE fee buys that test too), they get an Extra.

Been that way since April 15, 2000.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dee D. Flint January 22nd 04 11:50 PM

"Leo" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:54:28 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"Leo" wrote in message
.. .
On 22 Jan 2004 00:02:34 GMT, Alun wrote:

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
igy.com:

"Alun" wrote in message
(N2EY) wrote in
om:

I did. As they get 7100-7200, any reason to have 'phone below

7100
goes away completely.

Except for us up North, perhaps - we have 7.050 to 7.100 allocated as
SSB on our 40M band plan. There are a few Canadian nets that operate
there regularily, as well as quite a bit of foreign DX.

Fortunately, our band plans are guidelines prepared by Radio Amateurs
of Canada - not federally mandated.

73, Leo

Do you really think you would like all the US amateurs jumping in down
there?? Remember the population difference. We have a tremendous amount

of
activity on 40m voice on 7.150 to 7.300 until the broadcasts drive us

off.
If we had SSB access to that 7.050 to 7.100 used by other countries, it
would be packed solid and nobody else could get in. Do you want that?

Far
better to continue the battle to get the allocation extended to 7.300 for
all amateurs around the world.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Agree that the exclusivity of the 40M band should be extended to 7.300
- but that is likely quite a few years away. It will be a few more
years before the 7.100 to 7.200 segment is cleared of broadcast
stations. And, the bandwidth from 7.050 to 7.100 (at least from my
QTH) is relatively underutilized - not a great deal of CW or digital
traffic going on there.

Just thinking that it might provide some clear space for you to
operate if it was opened to phone in the US.

Personally, I don't mind having it as clear as it is right now at all!
There are, as I stated, some excellent DX opportunities there...

73, Leo

Leo, my point is that it would not stay clear very long. It would fill up
in a heart beat with domestic nets and QSOs thereby causing hardship and
hard feelings among the those outside the US.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee D. Flint January 22nd 04 11:56 PM

"Paul W. Schleck" wrote in message
In (Len

Over 21) writes:

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

Actually I wonder if the ARRL petition isn't a crafty ruse. It will

look
good to people who want what it proposes but has high odds of being

rejected
by the FCC since the FCC has a long history of shooting down automatic
upgrades. They get the "attaboy" for "trying" and can then lay it at

the
FCC's door when it fails even though they may want it to fail.

SHAME!

Thinking improper and vulgar thoughts about the ARRL!

Say 100 Hail Hirams as penance and sin no more.

LHA / WMD

You probably realized that Dee D. may be assuming the role of "devil's
advocate" here (by overplaying an idea to generate further discussion).
In other words, we might not want to take her words at face value until
she clarifies what she really means.

So, Dee D., what did you really mean to say above?

Basically I think the ARRL Board knows that the free upgrades means that
their proposal probably will not be adopted in this form. The FCC has never
gone along with free upgrades before and there is no evidence that they
would do so now. However, I believe they tossed it in as another idea for
the FCC to consider in developing whatever the FCC decides to do, if they
decide to do anything at all.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

N2EY January 23rd 04 12:59 AM

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

Basically I think the ARRL Board knows that the free upgrades means that
their proposal probably will not be adopted in this form. The FCC has never
gone along with free upgrades before and there is no evidence that they
would do so now. However, I believe they tossed it in as another idea for
the FCC to consider in developing whatever the FCC decides to do, if they
decide to do anything at all.

That's probably correct, Dee. And that's what bothers me!

As you say, FCC has never done free upgrades, and the last time the issue came
up (98-143), the ARRL proposal was for existing Novices (!) and Tech Pluses to
get free upgrade to General. Of course, FCC said "no way", and has had no
problem whatever keeping the closed-to-new-issues classes in their database.

So why propose something FCC obviously isn't going to do? Just wastes
everybody's time.

More important, it diverts attention from the other issues.

oh wait, I think I just answered my own question...;-)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Brian Kelly January 23rd 04 01:48 AM

"KØHB" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Alun" wrote

I don't think that qualifies as proof.

Here is a direct quote from the "Amateur Radio Newsline" broadcast of
Sept 12th, 1993, where the hissy-fit of W5YI is described. Since K7UGA
left the Senate in 1986, long before this incident, it's unlikely that
he responded with legislation which required free Novice exams.

Sunuvagun!

de Hans, K0HB

" VEC UPSET ABOUT FREE NOVICE TESTS

The ARRL says that it will not charge applicants for Novice
tests. This even though the W5YI VEC has filed a complaint with
the FCC alleging that the League's VEC operation is in violation
of the rules because it refuses to charge applicants for these
tests.
But Fred Maia W5YI who operates the VEC bearing his callsign
claims that its a matter of uniformity. That all VEC's who use
what is called the annual method of figuring reimbursement are
required to charge an examination fee for every test it gives,
including Novice exams. The ARRL says that it plans to continue
its policy of administering Novice tests free of charge because
it believes that this policy is consistent with an FCC tradition
established back in the 1950's. This, as a way of making it easy
for youngsters to get entry level licenses.
The League's President, George Wilson, W4OYI says that the
whole thing is nothing more than one of the ironies that keeps
ham radio politics interesting. Wilson notes that VEC's have
always had the latitude to set their own fees. He adds -- and we
quote -- "Frankly, we see no compelling Federal interest in
whether or not a class of nine year olds ought to be charged for
taking an entry level ham radio exam."
But Maia and his W5YI VEC operation see it very differently.
In his September 1st issue of his W5YI Report newsletter Maia
says that the potential financial benefit to the League
resulting from its policy is to serious to be ignored. He says
that free examinations when all other VEC's charge, attract
applicants who are the potential purchasers of examination
preparation materials. Maia believes that the purchasing
decisions of these people may be unduly influenced by their
choice of VEC's.

Did this flap ever make it to the U.S. Dept. of Justice trust busters or the SEC?

Gotta just love Maia. He's more fun than Wayne Green.

w3rv

Dan/W4NTI January 23rd 04 02:19 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message news:ZkZPb.33223$P%
Leo, my point is that it would not stay clear very long. It would fill up
in a heart beat with domestic nets and QSOs thereby causing hardship and
hard feelings among the those outside the US.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

True indeed.....some time back the bottom of 20 m phone was 14.200. I
remember the 'opening day' of moving down to 14.175...thats right,
175....you should have heard the South Americans bitching.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI January 23rd 04 02:22 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

[...]

That theory works but for one major problem. Were talking about the 'gang
of fifteen' here. What makes you think they have enough sense?

Dan/W4NTI

Dan/W4NTI January 23rd 04 02:24 AM

Did this flap ever make it to the U.S. Dept. of Justice trust busters or

the SEC?

Gotta just love Maia. He's more fun than Wayne Green.

w3rv

Maia, Wayne Green and Dick Bash should be drawn and quartered on the Nevada
sands.

Dan/W4NTI

Dave Heil January 23rd 04 04:37 AM

Len Over 21 wrote:

Paul, I appreciate your "guidance" in newsgroupism, but let's clear
the board and outline a few things -

... (such as puritanism and syncophancy of....

The what?

commentary, taking pot-shots against the syncophants

Against whom?

Looks like you need some help with that clearing and outlining.

6. Obvious Pro-Code Test Advocates do NOT play "Devil's Advocate."
Those are hide-bound olde-tyme-thinking PCTAs who are not
only sanctimonious self-righteous self-important self-propelled
"experts" but are all seriously devoid of a sense of humor.

You know, Leonard, all of those adjectives could easily be used to
describe you.

Dave K8MN

Alun January 23rd 04 07:15 AM

(N2EY) wrote in
m:

Alun wrote in message
. ..
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
gy.com:

"Alun" wrote in message
[...]

I beleive the R2 bandplan allows phone down to 7045, same as R1. In R3 it's
7030! R2 hams operatong phone 'on 7050 and lower' are abiding by the ITU
bandplan unless they go below 7045.

Alun January 23rd 04 07:21 AM

(N2EY) wrote in
om:

Alun wrote in message
. ..
(N2EY) wrote in
om:

Alun wrote in message
.. .
(N2EY) wrote in
om:

Alun wrote in message
. ..
(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun
writes:

[...]

No. One day it might. But not yet.

[...]

It's phone in the bandplan (IARU not Antiquated Radio Relay League)

Dee D. Flint January 23rd 04 01:14 PM

"Alun" wrote in message

I beleive the R2 bandplan allows phone down to 7045, same as R1. In R3

it's
7030! R2 hams operatong phone 'on 7050 and lower' are abiding by the ITU
bandplan unless they go below 7045.

Keep in mind that outside the US, those are just band plans. According to
postings I read elsewhere, they are ignored with some regularity. It
becomes even more common to ignore them during some contests.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Alun January 23rd 04 02:40 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
gy.com:

"Alun" wrote in message

I beleive the R2 bandplan allows phone down to 7045, same as R1. In R3
it's 7030! R2 hams operatong phone 'on 7050 and lower' are abiding by
the ITU bandplan unless they go below 7045.

Keep in mind that outside the US, those are just band plans. According
to postings I read elsewhere, they are ignored with some regularity.
It becomes even more common to ignore them during some contests.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I can't speak for hams in every country in the world, but being originally
from the UK I would say that most there would be horrified at the idea of
operating phone below 7040, for example. The cutoff used to be 7040 before
they set aside 7035-7045 for RTTY. That is one aspect of it being
voluntary, you will find people who continue to use a frequency after the
bandplan is changed. In a similar way, phone is supposed to be above 14.112
on 20, but it used to be 14.100. The RTTY sections were carved out of the
top of CW and the bottom of phone.

Phone below 7.040 or below 14.100 is not something I hear when I tune
around. It's easy for US hams to form an impression that there are lots of
DX hams operating phone on CW frequencies, but there really aren't. It's
just that few realise how far down phone extends in the IARU bandplans.

Contests are another matter, but that cuts both ways, i.e. you will also
find CW on phone frequencies during CW contests.

73 de Alun, N3KIP (Ex-G8VUK, G0VUK)

Paul W. Schleck January 23rd 04 06:11 PM

In (N2EY) writes:

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

[...]

I brought this subject up with someone in the League. This exact
thread, actually. I was told that the ARRL BoD sincerely believes (take
at face value, or not) that failure to upgrade licensees in the FCC R&O
for WT 98-143 was not a final "no" answer. Rather, it is just one of
the unresolved loose ends that was deliberately not tied up until better
consensus emerged from the amateur radio community about things like
Novice band refarming, etc. The League official noted that the ARRL's
band refarming proposal, RM-10413, has been sitting on an FCC official's
desk for about two years now (he claims to know the exact FCC official,
but did not name him). Because of this, as long a wait, if not longer,
is expected on a "final" answer concerning automatic upgrading.

--
73, Paul W. Schleck, K3FU

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key

Dan/W4NTI January 23rd 04 07:00 PM

"Tom W" wrote in message

From http://www.qsl.net/ecara/wayback/page13.html:

[...]

Please cite references. I have before me two historical accounts
which both agree that the ARRL first broached the subject of incentive
licensing, as well as the QST editorial from 1963 which rationalized
it. Web pages such as "The Wayback Machine" also agree that the
League first proposed the changes which were finally implemented in
1967.

In fact, http://www.qsl.net/ecara/wayback/page14.html goes on to say:

"On May 3, 1963, the ARRL Board of Directors adopted their official
position on incentive licensing. Their proposal would completely take
away all General and Conditional class phone privileges on 75, 40, 20,
and 15 meters in a two-year phase-in period. In other words, the
ARRL's incentive licensing would only allow HF phone operation for
Generals and Conditionals on 10 meters and on the small sliver of 160
meters that was available in the days of LORAN Radionavigation. The
ARRL also suggested reopening the Advanced class license again to
those who held a General or Conditional license for one year.
Strangely, the ARRL did not suggest that Extras be given exclusive
frequencies, nor did they propose exclusive CW frequencies. Rather,
they just wanted exclusive access to the 75 through 15-meter phone
segments for the Advanced and Extra class licenses ..."

Based on all of these items, it appears to me that your account could
well be someone's revisionist history. I can find nothing in the
literature to support it, but can easily find material which refutes
it.

Thank you for all the refrences. I also 'remember' it that way. As I
stated to Dee D in another post.

73

Dan/W4NTI

Dee D. Flint January 23rd 04 07:10 PM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
ink.net...

From http://www.qsl.net/ecara/wayback/page13.html:

[...]

I too appreciate the detailed references. Facts are always good to have. I
was unaware that the initial concept was put out by the ARRL. I was looking
only at the final version that the FCC developed, which was substantially
different than the ARRL's proposal and which the ARRL then opposed due to
these significant differences.

FYI, in conversation, I prefer Dee rather than Dee D even though I use more
formal signature.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dan/W4NTI January 23rd 04 07:21 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

I too appreciate the detailed references. Facts are always good to have.

was unaware that the initial concept was put out by the ARRL. I was

looking
only at the final version that the FCC developed, which was substantially
different than the ARRL's proposal and which the ARRL then opposed due to
these significant differences.

FYI, in conversation, I prefer Dee rather than Dee D even though I use

more
formal signature.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Thats what I like about you Dee, your ability to recognize constructive
comments and not fly off the handle.

Dan/W4NTI

KØHB January 23rd 04 08:28 PM

"Dave Heil" wrote

| That's the problem though, isn't it? What we need is the statute,
not the
| rules, which prove nothing in the absence of Novice testing.
|
| So if I understand your view, you'd like to see a statute as proof
that
| the statute does not exist. Does that sum it up?

It's clear he doesn't wish to be confused with any facts which spoil his
rant.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Art Harris January 23rd 04 08:29 PM

"Tom W" wrote:

In fact, http://www.qsl.net/ecara/wayback/page14.html goes on to say:

"On May 3, 1963, the ARRL Board of Directors adopted their official
position on incentive licensing. Their proposal would completely take
away all General and Conditional class phone privileges on 75, 40, 20,
and 15 meters in a two-year phase-in period. In other words, the
ARRL's incentive licensing would only allow HF phone operation for
Generals and Conditionals on 10 meters and on the small sliver of 160
meters that was available in the days of LORAN Radionavigation.

Great article! Thanks for posting that link. I learned a few things I
never knew before. (I was just starting to get interested in radio in
1963.)

It's amazing that ham radio has survived at all when you consider how
much needless tinkering with the license structure has gone on over
the years, and how much discontent it has created.

Art Harris N2AH

KØHB January 23rd 04 09:38 PM

"Alun" wrote

Not atall. I just haven't seen anything convincing.

With all due respect, you're the one that advanced the notion that Barry
Goldwater had authored some legislation the give Novices free
examinations, but have no evidence of that other than you "read
something". Strike #1.

The FCC rules allow ALL exams to be free, so there'd be no need for a
separate legislation to give free exams to Novice applicants. Strike
#2.

There is media evidence contemporary to the era which shows one VEC
trying to persuade the FCC to REQUIRE all other VEC's to charge a fee
for the Novice exam. Strike #3.

Looks to me that YOU'RE the one who needs to show US something
"convincing".

Good luck on this one now.

73, de Hans, K0HB

William January 23rd 04 11:34 PM

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) wrote in message . com...
"Tom Winston" wrote in message ...
On 19 Jan 2004 10:08:20 -0800, N2EY wrote:

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, ...

That's not an upgrade; that's a downgrade. Advanced class licensees
passed the Extra class written exam, and passed a 13 wpm code test.
Furthermore, most Advanced class licensees took the older Extra exam
-- an exam that's a lot tougher than the current Extra exam.

Uhhhh...in what universe?

The only "Advanced" class licensees that I know of that took an
Extra written test but didn't upgrade were one's who failed the 20WPM.

Then he didn't pass the Extra exam.

Dee D. Flint January 24th 04 05:01 PM

"Alun" wrote in message
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
gy.com:

"Alun" wrote in message

[...]

As far as the phone goes, I'm reporting what I've read posted by Europeans
rather than my own impressions.

At least for US CW contests, I don't find the CW climbing into the phone
portions. In some cases the rules specifically state that the contacts are
to be limited to the "traditional" CW portion. In the remainder of the
cases, we're just so conditioned to sticking below the split point that we
stay there anyway in a contest. Although the contesters do ignore the
digital, etc bandplan recommendations.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

William January 24th 04 08:03 PM

(WA8ULX) wrote in message ...
All this so the top HAMs have something to gloat about.

Heres what so Stupid, there is nothing to prevent you from being a "TOP HAM"

I recall that you weren't going to downgrade to Extra-lite, but then you did.

N2EY January 24th 04 09:17 PM

In article , Paul W. Schleck
writes:

In (N2EY) writes:

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

[...]

Maybe it wasn't. But are such freebies really a good idea?

Rather, it is just one of
the unresolved loose ends that was deliberately not tied up until better
consensus emerged from the amateur radio community about things like
Novice band refarming, etc. The League official noted that the ARRL's
band refarming proposal, RM-10413, has been sitting on an FCC official's
desk for about two years now (he claims to know the exact FCC official,
but did not name him). Because of this, as long a wait, if not longer,
is expected on a "final" answer concerning automatic upgrading.

I say we should judge by actions. When FCC thinksa proposal is a good or bad
idea, they act. How long did the whole 98-143 process take, from initial
release of the NPRM to the new rules in April 2000?

More important, what would a lack of free upgrades hurt? Is it really such a
burden to require an Advanced to pass Element 4, or a Tech to pass Element 3,
in order to get the next higher grade of license?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bill Sohl January 25th 04 02:54 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Paul W. Schleck
writes:

In (N2EY)

writes:

In article om, "Dee

D.
Flint" writes:

[...]

Here's your options:

We currently have essentially a 6 license system in place (even though
several licenses are no longer issued). To go from that system
to the one proposed by ARRL leaves three options as I see it:

1. The one-time free upgrade process as put forth by ARRL which takes
nothing away from anyone and immediately gets everyone into the
new 3 license system, or

2. Go to the new system but "grandfather" those on current but no
longer to be issued license classes which takes nothing from anyone but
presents a dual system of licenses, rules and regulations which would
likly exist for decades until those with licenses no longer being issued
as new ended up SK or otherwise dropped from our ranks or,

3. Implement the ARRL 3 licnense system and downgrade some
folks to new Novice (i.e. the Techs) or General (i.e the Advanced).
This last scenario takes away privileges and we all know how well
that went down in the late 60's Incentive Licensing implementation.

To me the answer is clear...and, I suspect so is it also to ARRL which
is why the proposal includes free upgrades.

[...]

See options 2 and 3 above.

Cheersm
Bill K2UNK

Paul W. Schleck January 25th 04 07:24 PM

In (N2EY) writes:

In article , Paul W. Schleck
writes:

In
(N2EY) writes:

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

[...]

It may be a realistic, and pragmatic, idea when considered against the
pros and cons:

Cons:

Provides a "free upgrade" to those that haven't explicitly tested for
it.

Pros:

Avoids having to wait until the last Advanced class license expires to
refarm the Advanced phone bands. Alternatively, avoids opening up the
Advanced class phone bands to General-class hams (an effective downgrade
in privileges for Advanced, and crowding out DX users with more
U.S. hams in those bands) or opening up the Extra class phone bands to
Advanced-class hams (which would be a "free upgrade" in all but name).
Also avoids having to accommodate a license class (Tech Plus) that isn't
even carried in the FCC database anymore, which is a records/
enforcement problem for the FCC, and requires the licensee to keep
documentation forever.

[...]

I think the ARRL may be politically shrewder than some would give them
credit. They can turn to the reformers and say, "See, we're giving you
a both a Novice and General HF-class license that doesn't require Morse
Code." To the old-school (and long-time, dues-paying) members they can
at least imply, "We recognize that the Morse Code tests you took in the
past are valuable, so we are going to reward you with a higher class of
license. Then you will always know that you are better than anyone who
gets a General or Extra class license under the reduced standards in the
future."

--
73, Paul W. Schleck, K3FU

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key

Steve Robeson, K4CAP January 26th 04 02:40 AM

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...

Somebody said that ham licenses would be available in cereal
boxes. Is that true? [I don't think Rev. Jimmie said that...]

I thought it was YOU, Sir Putzalot...

After all, it WAS you who said he was getting an "Extra Lite out of the box..."

The box has been open for three years now...What's holding you back now?

Steve, K4YZ

Steve Robeson, K4CAP January 26th 04 02:45 AM

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...

Think about it - what exactly *should* an entry-level license do?

Here's a few suggestions on what they "should" do -

Once again the Newsgroup Antagonist barrages us with yet another
satiric and vile dousing of his vile, anti-amateur rhetoric.

None of which had anyhting to do with "Morse Code testing", of
which he swore was his ONLY interest in this forum.

Uh huh...we believe THAT.

steve, K4YZ

D. Stussy January 26th 04 09:16 AM

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Tom Winston wrote:
On 19 Jan 2004 10:08:20 -0800, N2EY wrote:
Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, ...

That's not an upgrade; that's a downgrade. Advanced class licensees
passed the Extra class written exam, and passed a 13 wpm code test.
Furthermore, most Advanced class licensees took the older Extra exam
-- an exam that's a lot tougher than the current Extra exam.

Possession of the Advanced class license proves that the holder met
higher standards than the current crop of Extras.

So thanks, but no thanks. When I want to downgrade, *I* will make
that decision.

But one can still tell: The PRIOR CLASS field will still say "A".

Just go away, ARRL, and keep your grimy paws off my license.

That part I agree with; they can't seem to leave anything alone without screwing
it up.

N2EY January 27th 04 02:55 AM

In article , "D. Stussy"
writes:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Tom Winston wrote:
On 19 Jan 2004 10:08:20 -0800, N2EY wrote:
Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, ...

That's not an upgrade; that's a downgrade. Advanced class licensees
passed the Extra class written exam, and passed a 13 wpm code test.
Furthermore, most Advanced class licensees took the older Extra exam
-- an exam that's a lot tougher than the current Extra exam.

Possession of the Advanced class license proves that the holder met
higher standards than the current crop of Extras.

So thanks, but no thanks. When I want to downgrade, *I* will make
that decision.

But one can still tell: The PRIOR CLASS field will still say "A".

Doesn't say that on my entry. Even though it's true.

Just go away, ARRL, and keep your grimy paws off my license.

That part I agree with; they can't seem to leave anything alone without
screwing
it up.

OK, let's just leave the structure the way it is.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KØHB January 27th 04 03:02 AM

"D. Stussy" wrote

| But one can still tell: The PRIOR CLASS field will still say "A".

Not in all cases. My "prior class" was Conditional.

N2EY January 27th 04 03:16 AM

In article , Paul W. Schleck
writes:

In (N2EY) writes:

In article , Paul W. Schleck
writes:

In
(N2EY)
writes:

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

[...]

That's one. There are others:

- Allowing a free upgrade is proof that the material in the test which is not
taken
is not necessary for the privileges.

- Amateurs who miss the one time upgrade have to take more tests than those who
didn't. How do we justify that?

- Decreased reason for more than half of all hams to upgrade by testing.

Pros:

Avoids having to wait until the last Advanced class license expires to
refarm the Advanced phone bands.

Why does that have to be done at all?

Alternatively, avoids opening up the
Advanced class phone bands to General-class hams (an effective downgrade
in privileges for Advanced, and crowding out DX users with more
U.S. hams in those bands) or opening up the Extra class phone bands to
Advanced-class hams (which would be a "free upgrade" in all but name).

Again, why not just leave those subbands as they are now?

Also avoids having to accommodate a license class (Tech Plus) that isn't
even carried in the FCC database anymore, which is a records/
enforcement problem for the FCC, and requires the licensee to keep
documentation forever.

If the current rules are left alone, all Tech Pluses will be Techs in six
years, two months and 20 days or so.

Why not just give all the existing Techs, Tech Pluses and Novices the
"NewNovice" privs, in addition to their existing privileges? The database
doesn't need to change at all.

[...]

You mean the BoD. I'm the ARRL too, remember?

How much of the ARRL proposal in 1998 got enacted?

They can turn to the reformers and say, "See, we're giving you
a both a Novice and General HF-class license that doesn't require Morse
Code." To the old-school (and long-time, dues-paying) members they can
at least imply, "We recognize that the Morse Code tests you took in the
past are valuable, so we are going to reward you with a higher class of
license. Then you will always know that you are better than anyone who
gets a General or Extra class license under the reduced standards in the
future."

Avoids the subject of why free upgrades are needed.

I say they're not.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KØHB January 27th 04 03:35 AM

"N2EY" wrote

| - Allowing a free upgrade is proof that the material in the test which
is not
| taken is not necessary for the privileges.

Here we go again! Damn it Jim, that is patently false and you know that
it is, yet you keep dragging it out as a fact. Allowing a free upgrade
isn't "proof" of anything except that a free-pass was given, sort of
like a day of amnesty when all overdue library books can be returned
without fees. Yes, it's a really bad idea, but it doesn't disprove the
need for proper qualification examinations. Go join Carl Stevenson and
Ed Hare in the NTI sign-up queue. (I'd mention them by call sign, but I
wouldn't want to risk compromising your "standards".)

3333333, Hans, K0-Heavenly-Body