RadioBanter

-   -   New ARRL Proposal (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27225-new-arrl-proposal.html)

Leo February 11th 04 01:51 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 03:30:43 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"Leo" wrote in message
.. .
On 11 Feb 2004 00:00:18 GMT, (N2EY) wrote:

In article , Leo

writes:

Except for Japanese 4th class licensees, how many hams are there in the

rest of
the planet?

Well, my trusty EuroCall 2003 CD lists 276,446 callsigns in Europe
alone - even if a couple of guys died, there's probably more than that
now. I don't have figures for Asia, Africa, Oceania or the rest of
the Americas (except that there's around 56,000 or so up here...).

Quite a few, anyway! DX wouldn't be the same without 'em..... ;)

Excluding Japan, the last time I checked the Radio Amateur Call book listed
about 600,000+ for the combined rest of the world. Roughly equal to the
number of US Amateurs.

Sounds about right. (Japan has 1,000,000 hams? That explains the
number of Japanese amateur products out there - they built their own
user base for 'em!).

However, voting rights in the ITU, CCITT or other global entities
aren't weighted entirely upon the number of licensees or service users
that each country has. If they were, the US could control the ITU like
a corporation - claim a 51% user share and set global amateur policy
on their own votes alone. Fortunately, it doesn't work that way :)

Agreed that the US is obviously a major player - but I'm sure that
even if they had gone their own way, the rest of the world would not
necessarily follow. The role of agencies like the ITU is to
coordinate global resources so as to prevent chaos on the bands - not
to act as an agent of US policy.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

73, Leo

Leo February 11th 04 03:04 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 03:25:54 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"Leo" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:32:40 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"Leo" wrote in message
.. .
On 10 Feb 2004 09:52:50 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:

snip

Without the ARRL, do you think we'd still have amateur radio? I don't.

Um, the rest of the planet does not have the ARRL, and amateur radio
is still going strong there.....

snip

73 de Jim, N2EY

73, Leo

Without the ARRL, US amateur radio would have remained permanently closed
after World War I. The other countries did not have enough amateurs to
justify keeping the frequencies and it is highly probably that they would
have all gone to commercial interests. Everyone wanted the shortwave
frequencies at that time and without the US, the foreign amateurs would

not
have had enough leverage to have held on to the spectrum.

Dee,

Perhaps, but I'm not comfortable that it is fact. In 1917 (or 1916,
depending on the source), there were some 6,000 amateurs operating in
the US - not sure how many there were when amateur radio was turned
back on in 1919, but it was probably less than that, due to losses in
the war. Even at 6,000, though, would that constitute a sufficient
number of amateurs to influence policy on a global scale? Keeping in
mind that the US, as a member of the ITU, has voting privileges but
not an overwhelming influence. Foreign stations still boom over here
today on part of our 40 meter band - because the ITU agreements say
they can. The Americas can request, and debate, and vote upon, but not
control ITU policy. I doubt very much that they could back then,
either.

Although records in the early 1900s are sketchy, if you pick periods in time
that are documented, the number of US amateurs was roughly equal to the rest
of the world combined. This is still true today if one excludes Japan, which
has over 1 million licensed users but with an abysmally low activity rate
(Japanese licenses are for life, many children are licensed in school
programs and never use the licenses, and no renewal is required).

As of our last restructuring,Canadian licences (actually,
"Certificates of Proficiency") are also valid for life - no renewal
required.

While theUS would not have been an "overwhelming" influence, it still would have been
a major player. How long could amateurs in other countries have been
effective against government and commercial interests in the ITU if the US
had remained in an "amateur radio black hole?" It is difficult to say of
course but there would have been much less strength available to resist the
encroachment. Yes one cannot say with absolute certainty which way it would
have gone but I do believe that amateur radio would be a lot less common now
if the US had not been involved. Also keep in mind that due to our form of
government, our civilian population (in this case hams) do have more
influence in shaping our governments approach to items like amateur radio
than is and was prevalent in a lot of countries.

I wonder if that is true - the FCC does not appear to have a history
of implementing what the ARRL requests, for example - and they
represent many thousands of amateurs. Sure, comments and suggestions
are encouraged - but it is not a true democratic process - the FCC is
under no obligation whatsoever to implement the will of the majority.
Plus, the comment and review procedure is massive - thousands of
individual public comments and proposals to go through, another round
of proposals and responses, then review, and on and on - a juggernaut
of a process that may well take years to run its course.

Here, Industry Canada asked our national radio association (RAC) to
gather data on what Canadian amateurs wanted to do with licensing
requirements if the Morse requirement was dropped at WRC-03. The RAC
set up a web page with a questionnaire on it, and opened it up to all
licenced Canadian amateurs (not just RAC members). The results were
collected and tabulated, recommendations prepared, and forwarded to IC
for their consideration. As licensing changes within the Amateur
service do not have an impact on either the general public or
commercial interests, this approach makes sense.

Now there is a system that amateurs have direct influence over!

Also, look at how quickly amateurs in Great Britain, Australia,
Germany and many others were able to have the Morse requirement
dropped following WRC-03. No red tape, no seemingly endless
discussion - just done. Many did this in direct response to the
request of their own national radio clubs to do so if permitted
post-WRC-03. Now there is real democracy in action!

According to The Wayback Machine, it wasn't commercial interests that
wanted control of these bands post-WWI (all radio bands, actually!) in
the US - it was the US Military. The ARRL did a fine job of lobbying
the US government to have the frequencies reopened to US amateurs -
but I don't think that the rest of the world would have walked away
from amateur radio forever if the ARRL had been unsuccessful. And, in
the absence of the ARRL, other alliances may have been formed to lobby
for this right - just like they did in the rest of the world.

I did indeed mean to include military. Sorry about that. In the context of
lobbying the US government for keeping amateur frequencies and re-opening
them after WWI, I do believe that in the absence of the ARRL another body
could have formed (and probably would have) and done the same as the ARRL.
But you know what, we would then be having this same discussion of "ZZZZ"
organization and the people who today slam the ARRL would be slamming the
"ZZZZ." The rest of us would then be defending "ZZZZ". Same game,
different names.

But Dee, other governments re-opened the amateur bands after WW1
without the assistance of the ARRL - in many foreign countries. I'm
neither praising nor slamming the ARRL - just stating that their
achievement was a local, not a global, one. Canadian hams were back
on the air months before the ARRL's victory in the US - I'm sure that
others were as well in various places around the world. Seems natural
enough - activities were suspended due to the conflict, and reinstated
after the hostilities ended. Not everyone's military tried to keep
the bands indefinitely for their own private use!

In fact, your happy ham neighbours to the North were legally
transmitting again as of May 1, 1919 - a full 5 months before the US
amateurs were allowed back on the air on October 1st of that year.

As I recall from history class, the US military hasn't attemped to
enforce US policy up here since 1814 - and never successfully prior to
that

But would they have had enough clout in subsequent ITU conferences to stave
off the commercial and military seekers of the bands. In any disagreement,
you don't want the strongest player sitting on the sidelines or playing on
the other side.

I don't see why not - the ITU voting structure isn't that heavily
weighted based on the size of the US - otherwise, they would be in
business strictly to globalize US policy. Or, countries like China
could assert that as they have 4 times the population of the US, they
should control 4 times as many votes. Countries like Japan could claim
that they have 3 times the number of licenced Amateurs, and monopolize
the process. If that were the case, how many countries would have
remained members of the ITU? None, I'd say.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

73, Leo

Leo February 11th 04 03:28 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:29:01 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

Leo wrote:
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:44:04 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Leo wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:15:37 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Doggone it Dee! Your factual post is going to ruin another anti-US rant!

No rant intended, Mike. Just looking for facts!

You wouldn't happen to have any on you, would you? :)

Facts? I have the history I've read.

I'll have to take that as a 'no' then....

Do you always take history as fact?

Not always, Mike. Depends on whether the source of the historical
information quotes verifiable references or not. Otherwise, it's just
the opinion of the writer.

I never take hearsay as fact, however.

The fact is, other countries were back on the air well before the ARRL
was successful in restoring amateur privileges in the US. Neither the
US nor the ARRL was responsible for the restoration of amateur
privileges in other sovereign nations.

Perhaps the ARRL overstated its importance in the lobbying for the
return of Amateur privileges as well - in recent history, the FCC does
not always follow their suggestions (incentive licensing comes to
mind, for one). Maybe the Government would have told the military to
back off and get out of the radio monopolization business? If the
military had been successful, there would have been no commercial
radio either - just military.

But hey, if you're lobbying for something and it ends up going your
way, then you get to claim that you made it happen, right! Even if it
would have happened anyway - who's to disagree? :)

FWIW, I have read that the US amateurs and their representatives were
pretty much the driving force in Amateur radio post WW1. The numbers of
Amateurs in the US was roughly equal to the Amateurs in the rest of the
world. These numbers coupled with a few organizations that represented
them from one country instead of spread out over the globe, would
naturally have a major influence on the hobby/avocation.

If the international unions were structured like corporations, that
would be true. The US would have a majority share, and could
implement anything that they wanted based upon the number of
'shareholders' (amateurs, in this case) that they represented.

In reality, it's not structured like that at all. Otherwise, how would
comparitively small countries like Albania or Turkey have any chance
of having their national interests recognized?

Now I don't know that for sure, since I wasn't around then, but it seems
sensible and logical enough, so I assign it a good probability.

Perhaps they were a driving force - but if they hadn't been (i.e. if
the US military had successfully locked them out after WW1), why on
Earth would the rest of the planet have abandoned amateur radio? It
might have been different, and ther might have been contention between
US military traffic and the rest of the world - but I really don't
believe for a second that the US influence over the amateur policies
of the rest of the world was ever that strong. Not then - and not
today.

Historically speaking.

- Mike KB3EIA

73, Leo

Helmut February 11th 04 06:57 PM

Hello, Dee and the group,

at the ITU, each country has only ONE vote, see the post about albania and
san marino etc.

And about the strength of the national radio clubs like your ARRL, or the
RAC, DARC: ARRL is holding abt 25% of the hams, in Europe the average member
number of the club is over 60% of all hams in this country. But I agree,
lobbying the government is a game they know how to play in the US.

73 & 88 de
OE8SOQ
Helmut

Alun February 11th 04 07:16 PM

(Len Over 21) wrote in
:

In article , "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

As I indicated in another post, early on in amateur radio, it would
have been easy for the ITU to have allocated all the frequencies to
commericial and government interests. The size of the US amateur
community was, in those early days, very probably a key element in
keeping an allocation for amateurs.

There was NO "ITU" before WW2. There was the CCITT.

The size of the US amateur community was, in those early days,
miniscule compared to the broadcasters getting started. Ham radio's
oinks weren't near "numerous" until AFTER WW2.

But, to hear the spin from the league, they and Stl Hiram
practically invented ham radio and saved it from perdition.

Selective editing of the REAL history of all radio doesn't make it
"truth." Except to the devout Believers...

LHA / WMD

They even claim they were responsible for the no-code licence, when the
truth is the FCC would have introduced one 20 years earlier but for the
league's opposition!

Alun February 11th 04 07:21 PM

Mike Coslo wrote in :

Alun wrote:

Ah well, Leo, they still think that the United states is the centre of
the universe (or even the center of the universe, HI!). We used to
think the same thing about the British Empire, and we were wrong too!

Trolling, eh?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Not atall. I'm serious. We did think we were the centre of everything, but
that is an illusion that passes. Trust me. All things pass. The Roman
empire, the British empire ... you get the idea.

Alun February 11th 04 07:23 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
.com:

"Leo" wrote in message
[...]

If you beleive that, you'll beleive almost anything.

Alun February 11th 04 07:24 PM

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Leo" wrote in message

[...]

8^)

FWIW, I'm really disapointed in thoes two. 8^(

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, how is it anti-US to point that the world doesn't revolve around
America? Of course, if you think it does, then you're probably beyond help.

Mike Coslo February 11th 04 07:43 PM

Alun wrote:

Mike, how is it anti-US to point that the world doesn't revolve around
America? Of course, if you think it does, then you're probably beyond help.

It's a troll, Alun. Go post the same message anywhere on netnews and
watch the reaction.

If you don't believe it, then you're probably beyond help.

Of course the world doesn't revolve around the US. The world revolves
around it's axis.

How is the ARRL proposal going to affect the rest of the world's
amateurs anyway?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Leo February 11th 04 08:11 PM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:43:25 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

Alun wrote:

Mike, how is it anti-US to point that the world doesn't revolve around
America? Of course, if you think it does, then you're probably beyond help.

It's a troll, Alun. Go post the same message anywhere on netnews and
watch the reaction.

Mike, I didn't take Alun's message as a troll - just a response in
context to the thread to a rather lofty assertion that without the
ARRL (and by definition, the US Amateur Radio Service, since that is
all the ARRL influences), the world would never have known the joys of
Amateur Radio.

Which is just a tad jingoistic, I'd say - and nigh-on impossible to
substantiate without resorting to theory, opinion and conjecture.

If you don't believe it, then you're probably beyond help.

Of course the world doesn't revolve around the US. The world revolves
around it's axis.

How is the ARRL proposal going to affect the rest of the world's
amateurs anyway?

It won't.

Yet, according to the comments earlier in the thread, historically,
without the ARRL there would be no amateur radio anywhere in the
world.

Really? I don't think so.

- Mike KB3EIA -

73, Leo

Alun February 11th 04 08:13 PM

Leo wrote in
:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:32:40 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"Leo" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

that :o0

Source:
http://www.ve4.net/history/part1.txt

Does anyone have any further documentation pertaining to this subject?
I know that the Netherlands didn't regain operating privileges until
the early 1920s - Alun, old son, what was the history of this over the
pond?

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

73, Leo

I have to confess ignorance as to exactly when the hams got back on the air
in the UK after WW1.

I do know something about the 1927 conference, though. I think that this
may be the source of the theory that America saved ham radio, but like most
things it's not that simple.

Many of the delegates, including the UK, did not want to recognise ham
radio as a service in the international regulations. What you have to
understand, though, is that they did have amateur radio in these countries,
and that it would have continued much the same without ITU recognition. The
war was long over by then, and they had all let everyone get back on the
air already, long before the conference. This point is noticeably absent
from the postings advancing the 'America saved the world' theory.

The US proposal was carried, and what it did was to get recognition of the
amateur service in return for the code test. This was no loss to American
hams, who already had to pass a code test anyway. However, many (most?) of
the other countries had no code test before 1927. The UK certainly did not.
It's quite possible that many delegates may have opposed the US proposal
less because they didn't want to recognise hams, but more because they
didn't want a code test! I don't know. The UK clearly had no objection to
amateur radio continuing in being, but just didnt consider it to be a
service (many people still dispute that point today).

If the American proposal hadn't been carried in 1927, it is quite clear
that amateur radio would not have dissappeared. Without ITU recognition of
amateur radio, it is true that there would have been much more variation in
allocations between countries, although there is still quite a bit anyway.
I understand that Australia had entirely different HF bands to everyone
else at that time, and that might have continued for a while longer at
least.

So, there is a grain of truth in that it was the US that put forward the
proposal that got amateur radio recognised, but it had nothing to do with
numbers, as they had only one vote, just as they do today.

Unrecognised services exist without needing any permission from the ITU.
Just look at CB. Yes, I know you'd rather not(!), but it exists in a large
number of countries without any ITU recognition, many of them even using
the same channels. Of course, it is a good thing that amateur radio is not
in this position, but you all know what I'm coming to next.

The price we paid. The @#%#&$& code test! You can all say your piece about
whether there should be a code test or not, but there's one thing that none
of you can honestly deny. The existence of the ITU code test requirement
caused more ill feeling than anything else in the hobby. I did put that in
the past tense because it has gone, and the past is the only place it
belongs.

73 de Alun, N3KIP

N2EY February 12th 04 12:00 AM

In article , Leo
writes:

As of our last restructuring,Canadian licences (actually,
"Certificates of Proficiency") are also valid for life - no renewal
required.

If there are no renewals, how does IC know when a ham dies? Or is the
situation like Japan, where the license is only cancelled if someone makes
the effort to tell the govt. (with proper documentation) that the ham in
question
is, indeed, dead, and to cancel the license?

[...]

Actually the ARRL has a pretty good track record on that account. PRB-1, and RF
exposure, to name just two.

Sure, comments and suggestions
are encouraged - but it is not a true democratic process - the FCC is
under no obligation whatsoever to implement the will of the majority.

As was made clear in the 2000 restructuring.

Plus, the comment and review procedure is massive - thousands of
individual public comments and proposals to go through, another round
of proposals and responses, then review, and on and on - a juggernaut
of a process that may well take years to run its course.

It's not really that bad. The various proposals will be allowed to run their
course, comments categorized by a few characteristics, and then the FCC takes
what
it thinks are the best features and makes an NPRM.

Here, Industry Canada asked our national radio association (RAC) to
gather data on what Canadian amateurs wanted to do with licensing
requirements if the Morse requirement was dropped at WRC-03. The RAC
set up a web page with a questionnaire on it, and opened it up to all
licenced Canadian amateurs (not just RAC members). The results were
collected and tabulated, recommendations prepared, and forwarded to IC
for their consideration.

Which may or may not be a fair process. For example, what protection was there
to avoid multiple "votes" by the same person? What provision for those who do
not have internet access?

As licensing changes within the Amateur
service do not have an impact on either the general public or
commercial interests, this approach makes sense.

Some would dispute that! For example, if amateur radio were to wither away,
at least some of the frequencies could be reallocated to other services. If
amateur numbers grow like mad, there could be pressure to expand amateur
allocations.

There's also the effect that the loss of amateur public service on the general
public.

btw, there's a new book out called "10 Days In Utah: The Search For Elizabeth
Smart" which documents the use of ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) help
in providing communications for the search for kidnapped Elizabeth Smart.

Now there is a system that amateurs have direct influence over!

What about the input from nonhams? Or is commentary limited to those already
licensed?

Also, look at how quickly amateurs in Great Britain, Australia,
Germany and many others were able to have the Morse requirement
dropped following WRC-03. No red tape, no seemingly endless
discussion - just done.

A number of reasons:

1) Much smaller amateur populations
2) Much more homogenous (sp?) populations and culture
3) Ground work prepared far ahead of WRC-03 so there was little
doubt of the outcome if/when the treaty changed
4) Much higher percentage of hams belonging to national organization.(in many
countries, it is practically or legally a requirement to be a member)
5) Complete disregard of dissenting opinions.

Many did this in direct response to the
request of their own national radio clubs to do so if permitted
post-WRC-03. Now there is real democracy in action!

Only if it can be shown that what the national radio clubs want was really
a majority opinion! I recall reading that a survey of German hams showed
that a majority wanted the code test to stay - but they were overruled.

And the number of countries who have made this change is only a small
percentage.

If the ARRL can be faulted for anything in this restructure thingie, it's that
they did not have a proposal ready to go in mid-July of 2003. Everyone knew
that Wrc-03 was going to happen, and that the chances were very very good that
S25.5 would change. So where were the surveys, discussions and proposals before
WRC-03?

According to The Wayback Machine, it wasn't commercial interests that
wanted control of these bands post-WWI (all radio bands, actually!) in
the US - it was the US Military. The ARRL did a fine job of lobbying
the US government to have the frequencies reopened to US amateurs -
but I don't think that the rest of the world would have walked away
from amateur radio forever if the ARRL had been unsuccessful. And, in
the absence of the ARRL, other alliances may have been formed to lobby
for this right - just like they did in the rest of the world.

I did indeed mean to include military. Sorry about that. In the context of
lobbying the US government for keeping amateur frequencies and re-opening
them after WWI, I do believe that in the absence of the ARRL another body
could have formed (and probably would have) and done the same as the ARRL.

I disagree. One of the key factors was that the pre-war ARRL directors put up
money to restart the League, lobby in Washington, restart QST and ask the old
membership for help. It was because they had a base of operations already
established that they were able to get going again quickly.

For a modern-day example, look at the BPL situation. Does anyone think that
unpaid volunteers working in their spare time could do the work of W1RFI and
others in making observations, gathering data, preparing serious engineering
commentary, coordinating with other services, and all the other things needed
to fight the "professionals" who want BPL?

What other group of hams could do what ARRL has done in the BPL area?

But you know what, we would then be having this same discussion of "ZZZZ"
organization and the people who today slam the ARRL would be slamming the
"ZZZZ." The rest of us would then be defending "ZZZZ". Same game,
different names.

But Dee, other governments re-opened the amateur bands after WW1
without the assistance of the ARRL - in many foreign countries.

How many?

Remember too that there were no "amateur bands" in those days. Amateurs were
simply assigned wavelengths shorter than 200 meters at the whim of the
governments.

Note also that amateur radio did not exist as a separate radio service, but
rather as part of "experimental and educational" stations. IOW, stations that
could not be classed as marine, military, government, or commercial.

And although other govts. may have allowed their hams back on the air, when it
came time to have international conferences (1924, 1925, 1927), many of those
same countries proposed rules that were so restrictive as to essentially
eliminate amateur radio.

I'm
neither praising nor slamming the ARRL - just stating that their
achievement was a local, not a global, one. Canadian hams were back
on the air months before the ARRL's victory in the US - I'm sure that
others were as well in various places around the world.

Such as? Most of the histories of amateur radio in other countries start in the
1920s.

Seems natural
enough - activities were suspended due to the conflict, and reinstated
after the hostilities ended. Not everyone's military tried to keep
the bands indefinitely for their own private use!

In many countries there were no or very few hams before WW1.

But would they have had enough clout in subsequent ITU conferences to stave
off the commercial and military seekers of the bands. In any disagreement,
you don't want the strongest player sitting on the sidelines or playing on
the other side.

I don't see why not - the ITU voting structure isn't that heavily
weighted based on the size of the US - otherwise, they would be in
business strictly to globalize US policy. Or, countries like China
could assert that as they have 4 times the population of the US, they
should control 4 times as many votes. Countries like Japan could claim
that they have 3 times the number of licenced Amateurs, and monopolize
the process. If that were the case, how many countries would have
remained members of the ITU? None, I'd say.

Each country gets one vote.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Tony Pelliccio February 12th 04 12:17 AM

(N2EY) wrote in message om...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

Can we water it down any more?

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

Why not just elminate the code requirement entirely. To me 5WPM code
is so awfully slow that it's painful.

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, Techs
and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

This free ride stuff has got to stop. I'm a 20WPM Extra damn it - now
I can bitch and moan like the old farts. My friend KH6HZ is probably
getting a good laugh out of this.

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics", General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

I suppose I can't complain much on this. Most of us are pretty much
appliance operators - when is the last time you played around with
SMT inside your radio?

Len Over 21 February 12th 04 12:40 AM

wrote:

Doggone it Dee! Your factual post is going to ruin another anti-US rant!

No rant intended, Mike. Just looking for facts!

You wouldn't happen to have any on you, would you? :)

Facts? I have the history I've read.

I'll have to take that as a 'no' then....

Do you always take history as fact?

Do you take ARRL sole-source history as "fact?"

FWIW, I have read that the US amateurs and their representatives were
pretty much the driving force in Amateur radio post WW1. The numbers of
Amateurs in the US was roughly equal to the Amateurs in the rest of the
world. These numbers coupled with a few organizations that represented
them from one country instead of spread out over the globe, would
naturally have a major influence on the hobby/avocation.

Feel free to believe what you want to believe.

The entire four-decade period up to about 1930 was one of great
change, reorganization, new technology discovery, etc. in "radio."
Something involving communications at the speed of light and
without wires was suddenly created after 1895. NO ONE had a
real coherent, expert prognostication of the future of "radio" in the
early days, those first four decades. Everyone involved with this
new thing was groping in the dark, experimenting, entrepreneurs
seeing potential profit, tinkerers busy with a fascinating new
technological interest.

As to communications by 1895, there was already the beginnings
of international cooperation in wired commercial telegraphy
standards and practices, that made firm over two decades prior to
that turning-point year. [Marconi's experiments started in 1895 but
were witnessed by only one other person...a full demonstration was
not done until the following year] This whole last decade of the 1800s
involved a lot more international discussion of other things besides
mysterious "radio."

As with any technological breakthrough showing potential monetary
profit, lawyers and courts began to get busy on patent disputes which
continued on into the 1930s; one of the things affecting Ed Armstrong's
personal life and subsequent depression was a constant coming and
going to courts for patent suits that lasted over a decade. The newly-
formed Marconi Company in England was proceding at a fast pace to
attempt international control of as many patents in "radio" as possible.
International political relations were a fighting ground, made worse by
the armed conflict of World War One. Lots and lots and lots of folks
in the commercial and government fields were fighting it out to
control "radio" in all manner, shape, and use. With the advent of the
first active control valve for electrons, the triode vacuum tube promising
miraculous applications for other than radio, the fighting got worse.

The beginnings of the RCA Corporation (originally Radio Corporation
of America) was due to an effort to keep "foreign" monopolization of
"radio" technology out (i.e., England was as "foreign" as anybody to
American businessmen and government men). The main cause was
the mechatronics of radio (on the way to obsolescence then) to be
replaced by electronics, the "foreigners" trying to hold control of the
mechanical side of radio away from US.

The beginnings of broadcasting was in the 1920s with enormous
potential profit for business. There was NO regulation of radio in the
USA until 1912 and everyone plopped down on whatever "frequency"
they were comfortable at (or that primitive technology of that time
allowed). RF-wise, the spectrum was chaos. With the first regulation
of the EM spectrum came the restricted-to-broadcasters broadcast
band at the low half of the MF band. Tinkerers such as amateurs
were shoved off to a relatively unknown region of "short waves,"
largely unexplored territory at wavelengths shorter than 200 meters.
Broadcasters needed fixed frequencies for thousands, then millions
of listeners, listeners having still-primitive technology receivers.
Broadcasting had the potential for enormous control over public
opinion, especially for the thought-control processes known as
"advertising" (already begun in printed media).

Wired telegraphy didn't just disappear but it was in a steady decline
from the previous turn of the century. The cause was the teleprinter
displacing the telegraphers reading paper tapes. "Stock tickers"
with their pretty glass domes were appearing on executives' desks
able to tell those executives quickly how stock values were going.
Telegrams were delivered with nice printed strips of text glued onto
message forms, no longer scribbled with handwriting or that new
writing machine called a "typewriter." Teleprinters did the text
printing. Teleprinting didn't need morse code specialists at wired
communications circuits. Even as the commercial morse comm
carriers were peaking at their busiest time, the teleprinters were
edging them out, first at a small scale then on and on in a juggernaut
of displacement of old, manual wired comm technology.

The maritime world got a bonanza, a miracle in "radio" able to reach
over the visible horizon. It was something they never had before.
Maritimers could get by on LF with relatively slow pace of water
travel. The maritime world was the first big user of "radio" and the
radio operators got their nickname of "Sparkies" from using that
high-tech transmitter known as "spark." Arc, spark, and alternator
"transmitters" reached a peak of 1 MegaWatt on LF...but eventually
would have to go since they transmitted simultaneously on MF and
on up into HF (mostly without realizing it). While "radio" was not a
popular topic of conversation at the ordinary dining table then, many
were involved in its use and millions of dollars involved in equipment
contracts. "Radio" was already big business by the start of 1920.

Displaced morsemen, downsized from landline wire comms by the
teleprinter and telephone, took to radio. Early radio could only
communicate by simple on-off keying of primitive RF generators.
Landline telegraphy was on-off keying of a battery source. Landline
telegraphers need only learn how to twist radio knobs, throw radio
switches to use their morse skills. They "upgraded" to high-tech of
the times...and invented all sorts of mythology about their new craft
using old skills. That mythology persists in some minds today.
The print media ate all the mythology up and printed glorious tales
of "pioneering in technology" in the exaggerated prose of earlier
times around the previous turn of the century. Journalism it was not,
storytelling it was.

Now I don't know that for sure, since I wasn't around then, but it seems
sensible and logical enough, so I assign it a good probability.

If the only source of information comes from one source, a special
interest group, you should be aware that some things ar (deliberately)
left out in order to improve the status of the particular special interest
group. You will be hard-pressed to find objective history of the radio
amateur organizations that existed before the formation of the ARRL
from ARRL publications. Such history does exist in 90-year-old
archives of other print media, of government records, of patent papers.

Special interest groups must be self-serving for survival. ARRL is a
special interest group. For a more objective view of early radio
history, Thomas H. White has done a superb job of presenting a part
of that overall history in the USA. See it beginning at -

http://earlyradiohistory.us/index.html

No special interests involved other than showing a more complete
picture of early USA radio history, of ALL radio, not just amateurism.
Fascinating stuff to see all the chaos, change, triumphs and tragedies
in the first few decades of a more-than-fascinating technology.

Or, you can be content with being spoon-fed "history" from a single
source who controls what they want you to hear. Your choice.

LHA / WMD

Len Over 21 February 12th 04 01:42 AM

In article ,
(Tony Pelliccio) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
. com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

I suppose I can't complain much on this. Most of us are pretty much
appliance operators - when is the last time you played around with
SMT inside your radio?

TAFKA Rev. Jim has both an MSEE and BSEE and has been a
40 WPM extra special for over 36 years. I doubt he has ever diddled
with any surface mount devices...that isn't operating morse code.

LHA / WMD

Len Over 21 February 12th 04 01:42 AM

Alun wrote:

Mike, how is it anti-US to point that the world doesn't revolve around
America? Of course, if you think it does, then you're probably beyond help.

It's a troll, Alun. Go post the same message anywhere on netnews and
watch the reaction.

You ADMIT to personal trolling, yet accuse others of that act?

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

If you don't believe it, then you're probably beyond help.

Of course the world doesn't revolve around the US. The world revolves
around it's axis.

Different kind of spin than what the league is revolving...

How is the ARRL proposal going to affect the rest of the world's
amateurs anyway?

W1AW will have more "important message alerts to amateurs!"

Or maybe Sumner's "Residence Radio Club" will have a 24-hour
cue-so party with the world through Geneva?

The PCTA will come on here more than once a day and call the NCTA
"putz" and "scum?"

I know...there will be an important editorial in QST on the evils of
pornography and the horrifying antics on broadcast radio-TV!

In CW nobody can tell you are breathing hard...

LHA / WMD

Len Over 21 February 12th 04 01:42 AM

In article , Alun
writes:

Not atall. I'm serious. We did think we were the centre of everything, but
that is an illusion that passes. Trust me. All things pass. The Roman
empire, the British empire ... you get the idea.

Mike is trying to "head them off at the pass." :-)

That's as good as Custer looking around the Big Horn Battlefield
and wondering "where did all those #$%^!!! indians come from?"

LHA / WMD

Len Over 21 February 12th 04 01:42 AM

In article , Alun
writes:

They even claim they were responsible for the no-code licence, when the
truth is the FCC would have introduced one 20 years earlier but for the
league's opposition!

It's going to be somewhat interesting to hear the Devout spin that
around now...unfortunately, there's no real creation in religious
beliefs and barking dogma of jingoism.

"Our karma ran over their dogma..." :-)

LHA / WMD

Leo February 12th 04 02:29 AM

On 12 Feb 2004 00:00:02 GMT, (N2EY) wrote:

In article , Leo
writes:

As of our last restructuring,Canadian licences (actually,
"Certificates of Proficiency") are also valid for life - no renewal
required.

If there are no renewals, how does IC know when a ham dies? Or is the
situation like Japan, where the license is only cancelled if someone makes
the effort to tell the govt. (with proper documentation) that the ham in
question
is, indeed, dead, and to cancel the license?

Three ways:

- the family notifies IC that their beloved ham relative is no longer
a user of oxygen.

- someone notifies IC of the passing of the amateur because they want
his or her old call. This method is most popular with the coveted
two-letter suffix ones....

- according to the regs, the license automatically expires on the
125th birthday of the holder.

[...]

I was thinking more of the incentive licensing fiasco that was
discussed here recently.

Sure, comments and suggestions
are encouraged - but it is not a true democratic process - the FCC is
under no obligation whatsoever to implement the will of the majority.

As was made clear in the 2000 restructuring.

Plus, the comment and review procedure is massive - thousands of
individual public comments and proposals to go through, another round
of proposals and responses, then review, and on and on - a juggernaut
of a process that may well take years to run its course.

It's not really that bad. The various proposals will be allowed to run their
course, comments categorized by a few characteristics, and then the FCC takes
what
it thinks are the best features and makes an NPRM.

They are going to have a bear of a time picking the best features out
of the various proposals and thousands of comments that they have on
hand right now. The FCC has managed to create a massive task out of a
relatively simple issue....

Here, Industry Canada asked our national radio association (RAC) to
gather data on what Canadian amateurs wanted to do with licensing
requirements if the Morse requirement was dropped at WRC-03. The RAC
set up a web page with a questionnaire on it, and opened it up to all
licenced Canadian amateurs (not just RAC members). The results were
collected and tabulated, recommendations prepared, and forwarded to IC
for their consideration.

Which may or may not be a fair process. For example, what protection was there
to avoid multiple "votes" by the same person? What provision for those who do
not have internet access?

One vote was allowed per callsign. No internet access, no vote, I
guess - there was no other cost-effective mechanism for the RAC to use
to poll all of the licensees. Statistically, though, if the sample
group is large and diverse enough, the results should be accurate.

I could speculate here that the amateurs with no Internet access may
well be those most in favour of retaining Morse testing, but I won't
:)

How many of its members did the ARRL poll for their opinions before
they released their proposal to the FCC?

As licensing changes within the Amateur
service do not have an impact on either the general public or
commercial interests, this approach makes sense.

Some would dispute that! For example, if amateur radio were to wither away,
at least some of the frequencies could be reallocated to other services. If
amateur numbers grow like mad, there could be pressure to expand amateur
allocations.

There's also the effect that the loss of amateur public service on the general
public.

I was of course speaking of the dropping of Morse and potential
restructuring of levels and test requirements. These issues would not
affect anyone outside the hobby.

btw, there's a new book out called "10 Days In Utah: The Search For Elizabeth
Smart" which documents the use of ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) help
in providing communications for the search for kidnapped Elizabeth Smart.

Now there is a system that amateurs have direct influence over!

What about the input from nonhams? Or is commentary limited to those already
licensed?

As above, the post-WRC 03 changes would affect only those currently
engaged in the hobby - I believe that no non-ham input has been
requested at this time.

Also, look at how quickly amateurs in Great Britain, Australia,
Germany and many others were able to have the Morse requirement
dropped following WRC-03. No red tape, no seemingly endless
discussion - just done.

A number of reasons:

1) Much smaller amateur populations
2) Much more homogenous (sp?) populations and culture
3) Ground work prepared far ahead of WRC-03 so there was little
doubt of the outcome if/when the treaty changed
4) Much higher percentage of hams belonging to national organization.(in many
countries, it is practically or legally a requirement to be a member)
5) Complete disregard of dissenting opinions.

Or a bit of all of these things. Neverless, they did it - and pretty
quickly too! Without the administrative nightmare that the FCC is in
the middle of. I shudder to think what the review and processing of
the thousands of documents regarding the restructuring of amateur
radio will cost the taxpayer.....

Many did this in direct response to the
request of their own national radio clubs to do so if permitted
post-WRC-03. Now there is real democracy in action!

Only if it can be shown that what the national radio clubs want was really
a majority opinion! I recall reading that a survey of German hams showed
that a majority wanted the code test to stay - but they were overruled.

Well, if the local administration sets their rules up to match the ITU
standards, then a change in these would result in a change in local
standards. It ain't necessarily a democratic process - they weren't
removing rights to operate from anyone, simply dropping a testing
requirement.

And the number of countries who have made this change is only a small
percentage.

I don't see the correlation to numbers here, Jim - these are entire
countries that are changing their own regulations. As time passes
more and more are getting it done. Just today, Denmark joined the
club!

If the ARRL can be faulted for anything in this restructure thingie, it's that
they did not have a proposal ready to go in mid-July of 2003. Everyone knew
that Wrc-03 was going to happen, and that the chances were very very good that
S25.5 would change. So where were the surveys, discussions and proposals before
WRC-03?

Good point.

There is a second and very major fault though - did the proposal for
restructuring that the ARRL recently submitted to the FCC come from
the members, or the ARRL BoD?

[...]

Good point - that is definitely a worthwile project. But the ARRL is
not involved in the research on BPL that is in progress up here....for
one.

In the US example, I'd suggest that if BPL is killed off it will
likely be due to the objections of the broadcast interests, the
Military and the various emergency management and security divisions
within the US government who claim that HF band interference would be
a problem for homeland security or emergency management. Whether or
not BPL messes up a hobby group's activities would come in at a much
lower level of priority, I'd think.

Not necessarily fact, but that is what I've gathered so far.

But you know what, we would then be having this same discussion of "ZZZZ"
organization and the people who today slam the ARRL would be slamming the
"ZZZZ." The rest of us would then be defending "ZZZZ". Same game,
different names.

But Dee, other governments re-opened the amateur bands after WW1
without the assistance of the ARRL - in many foreign countries.

How many?

Don't have a number at this time - stats on this are hard to find!
Some histories (like Japan, for example) suggest that there were
numbers of experimenters prior to the implementation of licensing - no
records of how many exist!

Remember too that there were no "amateur bands" in those days. Amateurs were
simply assigned wavelengths shorter than 200 meters at the whim of the
governments.

Yup. Sorry, wrong phrase!

Note also that amateur radio did not exist as a separate radio service, but
rather as part of "experimental and educational" stations. IOW, stations that
could not be classed as marine, military, government, or commercial.

And although other govts. may have allowed their hams back on the air, when it
came time to have international conferences (1924, 1925, 1927), many of those
same countries proposed rules that were so restrictive as to essentially
eliminate amateur radio.

And the ARRL fixed that for them? That was nice.

I'm
neither praising nor slamming the ARRL - just stating that their
achievement was a local, not a global, one. Canadian hams were back
on the air months before the ARRL's victory in the US - I'm sure that
others were as well in various places around the world.

Such as? Most of the histories of amateur radio in other countries start in the
1920s.

There were unlicensed experimenters in several places. Licensing for
many began in the 20s, but there were already folks engaged in
experimentation....

Seems natural
enough - activities were suspended due to the conflict, and reinstated
after the hostilities ended. Not everyone's military tried to keep
the bands indefinitely for their own private use!

In many countries there were no or very few hams before WW1.

At least licensed ones, anyway!

But would they have had enough clout in subsequent ITU conferences to stave
off the commercial and military seekers of the bands. In any disagreement,
you don't want the strongest player sitting on the sidelines or playing on
the other side.

I don't see why not - the ITU voting structure isn't that heavily
weighted based on the size of the US - otherwise, they would be in
business strictly to globalize US policy. Or, countries like China
could assert that as they have 4 times the population of the US, they
should control 4 times as many votes. Countries like Japan could claim
that they have 3 times the number of licenced Amateurs, and monopolize
the process. If that were the case, how many countries would have
remained members of the ITU? None, I'd say.

Each country gets one vote.

That they do!

Just one, regardless of population or commercial interests
represented. Real democracy in action!

73 de Jim, N2EY

73, Leo

garigue February 12th 04 02:47 AM

The price we paid. The @#%#&$& code test!

Alun .... We really don't have to tolerate that type of language on this
newsgroup ..... I wish more guys would use the above symbols than the
language ....then we could use our imagination. I translate the above
string as "necessary" give or take a few characters.

God Bless 73 Tom KI3R

Mike Coslo February 12th 04 03:04 AM

Alun wrote:

Mike, how is it anti-US to point that the world doesn't revolve around
America? Of course, if you think it does, then you're probably beyond help.

Do you know how all Americans think or feel about whatever issues? I
wouldn't presume to assume what "every Canadian thinks"

When I've been in Canada, I've met lots of nice folk with lots of
differing opinions - Just like us. My boy went to Hockey school there
every summer, and we often tagged along for vacation.

BTW, speaking of mistaken impressions, every time we went there, the
darn temperature was in the 90's. Canada is sure one HOT country!! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo February 12th 04 03:07 AM

writes:

As of our last restructuring,Canadian licences (actually,
"Certificates of Proficiency") are also valid for life - no renewal
required.

If there are no renewals, how does IC know when a ham dies? Or is the
situation like Japan, where the license is only cancelled if someone makes
the effort to tell the govt. (with proper documentation) that the ham in
question
is, indeed, dead, and to cancel the license?

Three ways:

- the family notifies IC that their beloved ham relative is no longer
a user of oxygen.

Well, technically not quite correct. Oxygen just used in a different
way - ick.

Perhaps that the ham has assumed room temperature? 8^)\

- Mike KB3EIA -

Dee D. Flint February 12th 04 03:20 AM

wrote:

Agreed that the US is obviously a major player - but I'm sure that
even if they had gone their own way, the rest of the world would not
necessarily follow. The role of agencies like the ITU is to
coordinate global resources so as to prevent chaos on the bands - not
to act as an agent of US policy.

If your strongest player is sitting on the sidelines or playing for the
other team (i.e. government & commercial interests in the case of ham
radio), it's still possible to win the game but it is much harder.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee D. Flint February 12th 04 03:26 AM

Alun wrote:

[...]

We are not saying that the ARRL was the only thing that made this happen.
Simply that they were a significant player in the US and that the US was a
significant player in the world. Without the ARRL, US amateurs would have
had a much tougher time. If the US amateur community had been seriously
weakened, it would have affect to some degree the amateur community in the
rest of the world.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

N2EY February 12th 04 05:00 AM

In article , Alun
writes:

They

[the ARRL]

even claim they were responsible for the no-code licence,

Where, Alun? Can you show where ARRL claims credit for the Tech losing its code
test?

when the
truth is the FCC would have introduced one 20 years earlier but for the
league's opposition!

Not true!

The Tech lost its code test in early 1991. 20 years earlier was 1971. The first
FCC attempt at a nocodetest amateur license was in 1975, and if enacted would
have not taken effect sooner than 1976. That's 15 years, not 20.

And in 1975, ARRL polled its entire membership with a detailed questionnaire. A
large and pervasive majority opposed a nocodetest ham license of any kind.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY February 12th 04 05:00 AM

In article ,
(Tony Pelliccio) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
. com...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

Can we water it down any more?

There are some folks (not me!) who only want one class of license.

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

Why not just elminate the code requirement entirely. To me 5WPM code
is so awfully slow that it's painful.

5 wpm is a minimum speed. Someone can always ask for a faster test as an
accomodation.

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, Techs
and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

This free ride stuff has got to stop.

When was the last one?

I agree that the proposed free upgrades are not a good idea.

I'm a 20WPM Extra damn it - now
I can bitch and moan like the old farts. My friend KH6HZ is probably
getting a good laugh out of this.

yep.

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics", General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

I suppose I can't complain much on this.

That's about the same test I took 37 years ago for my Novice...

Most of us are pretty much
appliance operators -

Not me!

when is the last time you played around with
SMT inside your radio?

No SMT in any of my ham gear. It's not necessary. And I have quite a bit of
homebrew ham gear.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dave Heil February 12th 04 05:06 AM

Alun wrote:

Trust me. All things pass. The Roman
empire, the British empire ... you get the idea.

Let's try an experiment. Swallow an avocado seed. Report back in a few
days and let us know the results.

Dave K8MN

Alun February 12th 04 05:19 AM

"garigue" wrote in news:UOBWb.11368$uV3.27753
@attbi_s51:

The price we paid. The @#%#&$& code test!

Alun .... We really don't have to tolerate that type of language on this
newsgroup ..... I wish more guys would use the above symbols than the
language ....then we could use our imagination. I translate the above
string as "necessary" give or take a few characters.

God Bless 73 Tom KI3R

If you think I meant necessary I might have to add a few real characters in
there to dispel that notion!

Alun February 12th 04 05:25 AM

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun
writes:

They

[the ARRL]

even claim they were responsible for the no-code licence,

Where, Alun? Can you show where ARRL claims credit for the Tech losing
its code test?

They did at the time

when the
truth is the FCC would have introduced one 20 years earlier but for the
league's opposition!

Not true!

The Tech lost its code test in early 1991. 20 years earlier was 1971.
The first FCC attempt at a nocodetest amateur license was in 1975, and
if enacted would have not taken effect sooner than 1976. That's 15
years, not 20.

So it's not true because it was only 15 years not 20? That's only a matter
of degree, not substance.

So you admit they opposed it for 15 years, and I can assure you they tried
to claim credit when it happened.

And in 1975, ARRL polled its entire membership with a detailed
questionnaire. A large and pervasive majority opposed a nocodetest ham
license of any kind.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Exactly, the ARRL opposed it.

Leo February 12th 04 11:59 AM

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:04:35 -0500, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Alun wrote:

Mike, how is it anti-US to point that the world doesn't revolve around
America? Of course, if you think it does, then you're probably beyond help.

Do you know how all Americans think or feel about whatever issues? I
wouldn't presume to assume what "every Canadian thinks"

When I've been in Canada, I've met lots of nice folk with lots of
differing opinions - Just like us. My boy went to Hockey school there
every summer, and we often tagged along for vacation.

BTW, speaking of mistaken impressions, every time we went there, the
darn temperature was in the 90's. Canada is sure one HOT country!! 8^)

Not right now! We're in the 20's at the moment..... Brrrrrrrrr.....!

- Mike KB3EIA -

73, Leo

N2EY February 12th 04 01:00 PM

In article , Alun
writes:

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun
writes:

They

[the ARRL]

even claim they were responsible for the no-code licence,

Where, Alun? Can you show where ARRL claims credit for the Tech losing
its code test?

They did at the time

Where? Can you cite any references?

1991 is not ancient history yet. I "was there", wrote letters, followed the
issue closely. In 1990, ARRL BoD policy changed from opposition of any form of
nocodetest ham license to support of a VHF/UHF-only limited license. This was
driven by several factors, including member opinion that was divided 50-50 on
that specific issue.

But I recall no claim that the BoD originated the idea.

when the
truth is the FCC would have introduced one 20 years earlier but for the
league's opposition!

Not true!

The Tech lost its code test in early 1991. 20 years earlier was 1971.
The first FCC attempt at a nocodetest amateur license was in 1975, and
if enacted would have not taken effect sooner than 1976. That's 15
years, not 20.

So it's not true because it was only 15 years not 20? That's only a matter
of degree, not substance.

It's an error of ~33% (1/3 of 15 is 5)

It's an indication that your recollection of the occurrences surrounding the
introduction of nocodetest ham licenses in the USA, and the ARRL's role
in them, may be somewhat inaccurate.

So you admit they opposed it for 15 years, and I can assure you they tried
to claim credit when it happened.

Based on what? I can assure you that "they" did not claim credit for coming up
with the idea.

And in 1975, ARRL polled its entire membership with a detailed
questionnaire. A large and pervasive majority opposed a nocodetest ham
license of any kind.

Exactly, the ARRL opposed it.

And that's a good thing. Too bad they couldn't see their way to doing another
such survey or two.

The 1975 survey gave a clear indication of what the membership - almost all of
it - really wanted ARRL to do at the time. How can anyone fault them for
following the clear mandate of the membership?

73 de Jim, N2EY.

Alun February 12th 04 03:11 PM

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun
writes:

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun
writes:

They

[the ARRL]

even claim they were responsible for the no-code licence,

Where, Alun? Can you show where ARRL claims credit for the Tech
losing its code test?

They did at the time

Where? Can you cite any references?

1991 is not ancient history yet. I "was there", wrote letters, followed
the issue closely. In 1990, ARRL BoD policy changed from opposition of
any form of nocodetest ham license to support of a VHF/UHF-only limited
license. This was driven by several factors, including member opinion
that was divided 50-50 on that specific issue.

But I recall no claim that the BoD originated the idea.

I was there too, and I recall several such claims.

Leo February 12th 04 06:17 PM

writes:

As of our last restructuring,Canadian licences (actually,
"Certificates of Proficiency") are also valid for life - no renewal
required.

If there are no renewals, how does IC know when a ham dies? Or is the
situation like Japan, where the license is only cancelled if someone makes
the effort to tell the govt. (with proper documentation) that the ham in
question
is, indeed, dead, and to cancel the license?

Three ways:

- the family notifies IC that their beloved ham relative is no longer
a user of oxygen.

Well, technically not quite correct. Oxygen just used in a different
way - ick.

Perhaps that the ham has assumed room temperature? 8^)\

That works...or perhaps, shunted to ground (or earthed, for Alun)!

- Mike KB3EIA -

73, Leo

garigue February 12th 04 11:38 PM

The price we paid. The @#%#&$& code test!

Alun .... We really don't have to tolerate that type of language on this
newsgroup ..... I wish more guys would use the above symbols than the
language ....then we could use our imagination. I translate the above
string as "necessary" give or take a few characters.

God Bless 73 Tom KI3R

If you think I meant necessary I might have to add a few real characters

in
there to dispel that notion!

Sort of reminds me what I said after a few of my organic chem tests years
ago.

Take care Alun 73 Tom KI3R

noname February 13th 04 01:48 AM

In article e8UWb.16891$_44.18036@attbi_s52,
says...

The price we paid. The @#%#&$& code test!

Alun .... We really don't have to tolerate that type of language on this
newsgroup ..... I wish more guys would use the above symbols than the
language ....then we could use our imagination. I translate the above
string as "necessary" give or take a few characters.

God Bless 73 Tom KI3R

If you think I meant necessary I might have to add a few real characters

in
there to dispel that notion!

Sort of reminds me what I said after a few of my organic chem tests years
ago.

I'm watching this whole discussion. BTW, the wags at the Retro Computing
Society of Rhode Island actually proposed a TCP/IP over morse code RFP a
while ago.

Bloody slow but it'd be interesting as morse has the necessary states to
shuttle binary data.

Dave Heil February 13th 04 04:33 AM

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Leo
writes:

On 10 Feb 2004 09:52:50 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:

snip

Without the ARRL, do you think we'd still have amateur radio? I don't.

Um, the rest of the planet does not have the ARRL, and amateur radio
is still going strong there.....

Irrelevant to this group, Leo. ARRL "represents all amateurs." They say
so up front.

W1AW reaches the edges of the known world...a couple provinces of
Canada, as far west as Ohio, down to Atlanta, Georgia. Their concept
of "world."

As with many other things relating to amateur radio, you simply don't
know what you are talking about. Yes, W1AW is heard quite nicely on the
West Coast and can be heard in any states. Pick an appropriate band and
tune it in. W1AW is easily heard in Finland. I've heard numerous W1AW
bulletins and code practice runs when I lived in Guinea-Bissau, Sierra
Leone, Botswana and Tanzania.

Every single radio amateur in the USA "owes everything" to Saint Hiram
Percy Maxim who "went to Washington" in 1919 to "restore ham radio"
after WW One. ARRL tells everyone that, forever and ever. Happened
85 years ago when all the seven-year-old amateur extras in here were
young. Clap clap.

It happens that HPM did go to Washington for the stated purpose. ARRL
says that because it is factual. What have you done for amateur radio,
Leonard?

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil February 13th 04 05:06 AM

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(N2EY) writes:

(James F. Aguiar) wrote in message
.com...
I think the ARRL is doing a super job of taking care of its own cash
cow.

Do you think all of the work done at ARRL Hq could be done by unpaid
volunteers?

According to the ARRL's tax return of 2002 their income was $12
million. That money was going where? :-)

The League has quite a large paid staff. In addition to salaries, there
are the expenses of printing and mailing, the need to maintain the HQ
building and W1AW, the costs for utilities, insurance and all sorts of
other necessities. Where does your money go?

Ham Radio as we know it is changing in the interest of progress
with no considration for the hobby.

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, inflexibility to understand the reality of now.

If you don't agree with it, you "don't understand it." :-)

If it isn't written so that anyone can understand it, how can anyone
agree or disagree with it?

I bet if everyone who subscribes
to QST was to cancel their subscriptions,in other words, BOY COTT the
ARRL, their trend of thought would take a sudden change of direction.

Of course it would.

No, it would not. QST sells enough ad space to keep itself going.

It would be difficult to sell ads if there aren't many readers. I'd
change "No, it would not" to "Yes, it certainly would".

However, if the ARRL loses its demographic base to show
advertisers, they will not bother buy more ad space.

No kidding? Once again, you've managed to sum up the perfectly obvious.

But why should the members do that? What issue
would make all of the members decide to drop out?

Perish the thought. BELIEVERS would still belong...just like the
followers of Osama hang onto his very word today...

What's his call?

Who cares about manufactures who pay for glossy pages of advertisment
in QST.

I care about one or two of them.

Do you care enough to buy the very best? :-)

Or are you still designing your own kits?

After all didn't we all used to make our own radios once.

Some of us still do.

"Design them" too! :-)

Unjustifiable snipe noted. I really like the use of quotes too. Reminds
me of your "experience" in amateur radio.

It seems as though the reciepe is to dismantle the hobby of amateur
radio and ARRL is trying to hang on to what ever will keep them going
as money making tax free organization.

What, exactly, is ARRL doing that you disagree with? Please be
specific.

TAFKA Rev. Jim's response to Aguiar's reply ought to be something!

Ask your self, what has the ARRL ever done for you personally or for
anyone you know, I bet the answer is zero, nada.

You lose!

Here are some things ARRL has done for me:

- Excellent publications that helped me learn radio theory and practice

Drexel didn't teach you anyting? :-)

- W1AW code practice helped me improve code skills

W1AW isn't heard in all the states in the union.

You'd be wrong, Mr. "If I need facts, I just make them up".

- PRB-1

To help fight the evil, money-grubbing, dictatorial home neighborhood
organizations?

That isn't what PRB-1 does. It is quite useful in seeing that towns and
cities don't establish regulations which arbitrarily restrict the
installation of antennas and supports.

- Fight against BPL

A few OTHER companies and organizations and LOTS of individuals
have voiced their objection to BPL here, PLC overseas. There's over
5000 Comments on NOI 03-104 on the FCC ECFS not from ARRL.

That's a good thing, but you can't have helped noticing that the ARRL
took the lead in matters relating to the threat to HF radio from BPL.

- Best ham magazine ever printed (QST)

Hardly. RSGB's "Radio Communication" is an English language
monthly with a wider scope of amateur radio interests.

RadComm has a wider scope of amateur radio interests? I don't think so.
It also has far less content than QST because it serves a much smaller
membership.

QST NEVER compared to HAM RADIO magazine during HR's 22
years of independent monthly publication.

It certainly didn't. Ham Radio catered to one thin slice of hamdom.
QST is a general interest magazine, broader in scope than HR or Radcomm.
QST is still printed. HR is defunct.

HR was far better, did
not cater to any BoD stuffiness.

That's pretty easy. No BoD stuffiness. Why? We ain't got no stinkin'
BoD. If you have no membership and if you have a staff of a few people
why would you need a board of directors?

- Representation in Washington and internationally, as well as
information.

Special Interest Groups abound in DC. All it takes is money to pay
them for their services representing the BoD's opinion.

Precisely! The trick is in selecting folks who know something about
amateur radio and the ARRL to represent the League. The ARRL has those
people and they do lobby on behalf of the ARRL.

With the Internet, ALL citizens can now communicate with our
federal government at the speed of enlightenment. We don't have to
be filtered through any organization or SIG having its own agenda.

ALL citizens have had access to paper, envelopes and stamps for
generations. Citizens have had telephones for decades. Are you so much
of a rube that you don't see that lobbyists abound because they are able
to accomplish things? If that wasn't true, there wouldn't be any
lobbyists.

I am glad that I have at least had the past 47 or so years of amateur
radio.

Without the ARRL, do you think we'd still have amateur radio? I don't.

You owe EVERYTHING to your ARRL. Start paying up...

I paid up in 1978. You can pony up too, Leonard and become an Associate
Member.

I've been a ham for 36+ years, too.

Sure. Just like the standards and practices of the 1930s. You are
49 going on 94.

That doesn't make much sense. The standards and practices of the 1930s
have been a ham for 36+ years? The standards and practices of the 1930s
are 49 going on 94?

That is how I feel and I just want to voice my personal opinion even
though I am going to get bashed for it.

No bashing, just some questions. You may *feel* the ARRL does nothing
for you, but the reality is quite different.

ARRL never gave me anything except six issues of QEX that Ed Hare
kindly sent me at league expense...from a stack of unsold issues at Hq.
[the last time I ever received anything from Newington without paying
shipping charges...:-) ]

....and I can see that you are dripping with gratitude.

ARRL has wasted my time, the late Vic Clark included.

How can the ARRL waste your time when 1) you aren't doing anything but
posting newsgroup messages 2) aren't a radio amateur and 3) aren't an
ARRL member. Maybe you spend much of your spare time (and it is
apparent that you have oodles of it) making aluminum foil hats to
protect you from those signals which W1AW is beaming your way.

Dave K8MN

N2EY February 13th 04 11:00 AM

In article , Alun
writes:

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun
writes:

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun
writes:

They

[the ARRL]

even claim they were responsible for the no-code licence,

Where, Alun? Can you show where ARRL claims credit for the Tech
losing its code test?

They did at the time

Where? Can you cite any references?

1991 is not ancient history yet. I "was there", wrote letters, followed
the issue closely. In 1990, ARRL BoD policy changed from opposition of
any form of nocodetest ham license to support of a VHF/UHF-only limited
license. This was driven by several factors, including member opinion
that was divided 50-50 on that specific issue.

But I recall no claim that the BoD originated the idea.

I was there too, and I recall several such claims.

So point us to them. How were the claims made? They must have
been in QST, right?

[...]

Well?

73 de Jim, N2EY.

Mike Coslo February 13th 04 01:15 PM

Dave Heil wrote:

It happens that HPM did go to Washington for the stated purpose. ARRL
says that because it is factual. What have you done for amateur radio,
Leonard?

Provide a noise floor in here? 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

N2EY February 13th 04 06:46 PM

Paul W. Schleck wrote in message ...
In (N2EY) writes:

(old stuff snipped to save bw)

So you might accept grandfathering, if it occurred at some asymptotic
point in the past, and only affected a small minority of hams?

Depends on the situation. The old Extra waiver only began after there was no
difference
among the operating privileges of a General, Conditional, Advanced or Extra
(1952 or later). IOW it was
just a title sort of thing - didn't make any difference in practical
application. And anyone who qualified
for it was an OT from the very early days (35 years at least). By the time the
waiver meant anything
in terms of operating privileges, that gap was over 51 years.

According to W2XOY, the upgrade to Extra given to pre-1917 Hams with a
General or Advanced-class license started in 1951:

along with the renaming of Class A to Advanced, Class B to General, C to
Conditional, and the introduction of the Novice and Technician.

That's correct.

So there was some short period of time (until the "Giveaway of 1953"),
where this "free upgrade" gave additional phone privileges on 75 and 20
meters for some of those pre-1917 hams. Specifically, those that held a
General class (formerly "Class B") license. That would be *accurate*.

Yes, it would be! I should have mentioned that earlier.

However, very few actually used that waiver, because

- there were not that many hams before May 1917
- there were fewer who had a Class B/General license
- full privs could be had with an Advanced, which was still available
until the end of 1952.

More information on this, just received today, is given below.

And the more I think about it, the more I think the old Extra waiver was a bad
idea, and that there may be
no scenario that would be worthwhile.

What about a proposal that
grandfathers some percentage of hams in-between?

I say no to free upgrades, then.

So nearly all of the previous discussion above is moot because there is
no "free upgrade" scenario that you will support regardless of the
percentage of hams affected, or their status/seniority.

There may be a free upgrade scenario that I would support, but I have
not seen one yet.

Remember that at some time in the future, we may be looking on this
grandfathering as occurring at some asymptotic point in the past, as
with the pre-1917 waiver above.

You mean like when the Advanced has been unavailable for 35+ years and their
numbers are down to about 1% of the ARS total?

Well, yes, that's what I was driving at. You want to wait until then.

I want to wait until someone presents a convincing argument as to why
such giveaways are needed for the good of the ARS.

I want to deal with the matter sooner. At least I got you to explicitly
bound your answers tighter than "never" or 0%. And what would you do
then?

Depends entirely on the situation at the time.

You ask below what is the long-term
plan. I say one aspect of the plan is to be able to look back on this
grandfathering in the same way that we look upon the pre-1917 waiver.

We don't look back on it the same way.

And why was it done?

The Restructuring FAQ at arrl.org omits the mention of waiver of the
written test, so it too is incomplete. I dropped a line to N1KB, who is
listed as the author of the document, with a request for correction and
clarification. He replied to me with pointers to some sources,
including Ham-Radio-History group noted above, which dates the origin of
the waiver, and "free upgrade," to 1951. W1UED just replied today with
an answer as to why. George E. Sterling, W1AE, was the first (and
likely only) radio amateur to come up through the ranks at the FCC and
be appointed Commissioner. The Amateur Extra license first appeared in
the 1920's and lasted through the 1930's, when it was discontinued as a
budget-cutting measure.

It didn't grant much in the way of more privileges, either, and very
few were actually issued.

During the 1951 restructuring, which restored
the Amateur Extra license, W1AE was an FCC Commissioner:

http://www.fcc.gov/commissioners/commish-list.html

As a pre-WWI licensee himself, he thought it would be an appropriate
honor to that group of hams if they were given the restored Amateur
Extra license, and had the political clout to make it happen. So, the
1951 restructuring gave anyone who was licensed prior to April 1917 and
who presently held a General or Advanced-class license, a "free upgrade"
to Extra.

IOW it was one guy's idea, and nobody was going to tell The
Commissioner that it wasn't a good one. Particularly since it only
affected a few hams anyway.

The following QST article describes the 1951 Restructuring and FCC
Dockets 10073 and 10077:

http://www.arrl.org/members-only/qqn... 1&selpub=QST

(ARRL Members-Only Link)

A photocopy of the full article is available for $3 ($5 for non-members)
postpaid from the ARRL.

Don't need it - I have those QSTs.

That still supports my original assertion that free upgrades given to
existing licensees, based on seniority or status, can be
non-controversial, especially when viewed from the long-term future.

Perhaps. Or perhaps they were "noncontroversial" because nobody wanted
The Commisioner mad at them.

To put it simply: Just leave the closed-off classes alone, and let them
go away by attrition.

This is exactly what was done with the Advanced from the beginning of 1953
until 1967 - more than 14 years. What problems did it cause?

The Advanced-class was eventually opened back up to new licensees, so we
do not know what the longer-term effects would have been.

True - but it was well over a decade before that reopening was even
discussed! And FCC had no problem with keeping those folks on the
records, even with a noncomputerized database.

I see no
realistic likelihood that Advanced will be (or even should be) reopened
in any foreseeable future.

That's what folks said exactly 50 years ago, too.

The outcome that you propose, which is to
carry them on the books for at least 35 more years or until they
constitute less than 1% of all hams, may introduce further problems than
the previous, and much shorter, 14-year period.

But all that avoids the main question of "what's the problem"? If
those Advanceds are satisfied with their license, why not let them
alone? If
they're not satisfied, is the Extra written test so difficult that
they
need a waiver?

In 4 years the number of Advanced has dropped by about 17,000. If it
keeps dropping in a linear (not asymptotic) fashion, the last one will
be gone
in less than 20 years.

would argue against that, for the reasons I have given previously
(streamlining of license classes, streamlining of band plans, reduction
of regulatory burden, reduction in confusion for amateurs and the FCC,
harmonization with the deletion of S25.5 and with other countries'
regulations, etc.).

All it takes to keep those classes is a few sentences in Part 97.

"A few sentences" in laws or regulations can have non-trivial
implications about the regulatory infrastructure that is necessary to
give them force.

OK, fine.

The difference between an Advanced and an Extra for enforcement
purposes is just 8 little slices on 4 HF ham bands. Is that a real
enforcement burden?
Four of those slices (the lower 25 kHz of CW/data) are the same as for
General, too, so the effective difference is just the 'phone subbands
on 75/40/20/15.

An Advanced-class license is one more alternative to
program into the licensing computer,

It's already there!

one more piece of regulation to be
understood and enforced by regulators,

Already in place.

and overall, one more class of
amateurs to track and incorporate into any regulatory policies and
agendas. The implementation of all of that is significantly more than a
few sentences.

No, it isn't. Look at Part 97 and see just how much would come out if
all Advanceds were upgraded to Extra. It's not very much.

Also, note that the free upgrades would *create* work for FCC, by
requiring that the databases and licensing stuff be updated to change
all those licenses.

Will FCC issue a new license to every ham that gets a free upgrade, or
will they
keep their old ones until renewal/upgrade time, which may be 12 years
hence (if someone just renewed, and doesn't renew again until near the
end of the grace period).

If license classes are consolidated to a smaller number, one alternative
is simply to grandfather existing hams, which the ARRL has advocated.

A more accurate term is "free upgrade", because that's what it is.

"Grandfather" implies letting a person keep what they already have without
recertification. That's not what is proposed by the ARRL BoD for Techs and
Advanceds.

One other implicit alternative (say, #5), is to make every Novice,
Advanced (and possibly non-Plus, or would that be non-Plussed, Tech)
come back in to take written tests to upgrade to the next level, or
otherwise lose privileges.

That's the worst alternative.

Which is why I specifically identify it and dismiss it early.

I would argue against that also, for the
reasons I have also given previously (it is impractical to retest
everyone,

It could easily be done over time by saying that you either retest before Date
or you'll be reclassified at a lower license class.

There is a legitimate distinction between "easy" and "straightforward."

In this case they're the same. The VECs do the testing and most of the
paperwork. That's why FCC required existing Tech Pluses from before
March 21, 1987 to do a testless VE session in ordr to get Generals.

Anyone with engineering experience surely knows that something could be
conceptually simple, but still complex and time-consuming in its actual
implementation.

Been there, done that.

Mass re-testing might be straightforward, but would not
be easy within FCC and VEC budget/manpower constraints.

We're talking about spreading it out over many years. And there's an
upside - some of them will upgrade all the way to Extra while they're
at the VE session.

Besides, if things go the way NCVEC wants, they won't have the
"burden" of code tests anymore anyway, so what's the problem?

Mass re-testing would be a regulatory burden for the FCC,

Not if it were spread out over time, as outlined above.

a personal
burden on VEC's who would have play de-facto judge and jury for large
numbers of existing peers, friends, fellow club members, etc.,
concerning whether or not they could retain former privileges (what
volunteer would want to endure that for very long?),

How would that be any different than now? VECs don't pass judgement on
written tests, they simply proctor and grade them in multiple-choice
format. Where's the "personal burden" other than the crowd being a
little bigger?

Or do you imagine that the VECs would somehow sit in judgement?

and would go
against where the FCC is heading, which is towards less regulation and
fewer grand schemes.

Like BPL?

I might also argue that mass-retesting is sounding
very much like a repeat of the scenario played out in the 1960's with
Incentive Licensing.

And that would kill it stone dead.

There's another angle, too:

Mandatory retesting would reveal how many hams were either totally
inactive or had lost interest to the point that they'd let the license
expire. Would probably cause a massive drop in the number of hams on
the database. Not a good thing from a political point of view.

By the same token, if FCC automatically issues new licenses to all
free-upgraded hams, a number of them will come back labeled "not at
this address" or "deceased" or some such. Which could have a similar
effect to the above. And since it's a requirement to keep FCC aware of
address changes....

There's a lot of debate in this newsgroup about the Incentive Licensing
scheme of the 1960's, who initiated it, what was intended, who supported
it, why it failed, who was to blame, etc., but one thing that most can
agree on is that it's very easy to start out with good intentions, and
what comes out the exit door of regulatory agencies might be
unrecognizable as something that would give the desired result.

Agreed! The original 1963 ARRL IL proposal bore little resemblance to
what finally came out the door.

And in 1999, the R&O bore little resemblance to the NPRM. Example: The
NPRM called for Advanced to stay.

Hence
the expression, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." Mass
re-testing could also be viewed as well-intentioned, but ultimately a
road to hell.

That argues for leaving everything just as it is now. OK, fine,
we'll just do that.

So, it's a good thing that neither of us are arguing in favor of testing
to avoid losing privileges, right?

Depends on whether privs are actually "lost".

and such existing hams are a large, stable user base such as
that in the definition of grandfathering below).

"Large, stable user base"? We don't really know about that. How many
of those folks are active? Why have so few Advanceds upgraded to
Extra?

You are teetering very close to making a non-falsifiable argument here.

A true statement is, by definition, non-falsifiable, is it not?

You argue here, and in other threads, that Advanced should be left alone
because:

- There are still quite a few of them, who are happy with their present
privileges, who would get a free upgrade unfairly, and crowd the Extra
phone bands.

Not just the phone bands!

*AND*

- There may not be very many of them, active at least, so any upgrade
would not give much benefit, anyway.

Covers all bases, doesn't it?

You also argue that Novice should be left alone because there aren't
very many of them, but then advocate restructuring that you believe
would bring back its "heyday" with many more licensees in that class,
which of course, should then be left alone.

The idea is that the Novice would be *changed*, not simply reopened.

Which is it? Too many, or too few, to justify elimination?

The idea is to cover all bases. Does anybody really know why so few
Advanceds have upgraded?

If neither
is a sufficient criteria to argue for or against elimination of a
license class, then that's a non-falsifiable argument.

The idea is to do what will give the best results for the ARS with the
minimum amount of negative effects.

IOW, we allow them to continue doing what they're doing because they've shown
a lack of problems in the past. But we require more of new systems.
It *doesn't* say we allow free upgrades.

When you say "we require more of new systems" above, are you referring
to people or license classes?

I'm referring to *systems*.

There is a subtle distinction. A group
of people may not want to change, but license classes may need to. A
set of license classes is a ladder, to be climbed as far as the licensee
wishes to develop his skills.

Some reject that idea, and say that there should be just one license
class. How do we answer them?

It is also a taxonomy, with a specific
regulatory purpose. That purpose is to ensure that limited frequency
spectrum is being put to the best and highest use via the distribution
of privileges over that spectrum. Implicit in this is structuring the
license class system to ensure that all amateur radio spectrum (HF, VHF,
UHF, Microwave) is not only used, but used well, in ways that fulfill
the Basis and Purpose (FCC Part 97.1).

But how can any license structure actually do that? Or, to take a
different
approach, why not have just one class (as some have argued here) with
all amateur privileges?

Since technologies, modes, and frequency usage patterns change over
time, the taxonomy should change as well, hence the need for periodic
restructuring over amateur radio's 100-year lifetime (Though I would
argue that not doing the "Giveway of 1953," and staying with the 1951
restructuring until the no-code issue came to a head in the 1980's,
would have avoided the backlash that resulted in Incentive Licensing of
1968).

I agree! So *why* was the "Great Giveaway" of December 1952 done,
particularly since FCC had just spent several years going in the
opposite direction? Why was the restructure of 1951 turned on its head
just as it was going into full effect?

Was it:

- Sudden personnel changes at FCC?
- Desire to push the use of SSB by hams?
- Desire to get hams off of 10-11 meters (the only HF bands open to
General and Conditional 'phone) to alleviate TVI?
- Desire to get more hams using HF mobile (which was only opened to
hams after WW2)?
- Combination of the above?

I have yet to find a definitive answer to why the "Great Giveaway" was
done, either in the written histories or in the recollections of hams
from that time. The answer could be as simple as "The Commissioner
changed his mind".

Out of time right now. Will answer the rest in Part Two

73 de Jim, N2EY