Old March 13th 04, 05:26 AM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(TAFKARJ on a verbal marathon without end) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,

(N2EY) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article , Alun
writes:

Then outside the disaster arena, there's all the marathons,
walk-a-thons, bike-a-thons and myriad other public events for which
hams routinely provide communications. Our club supports 4 or 5 of
these per year.

Those are good practice.

By the way, the Los Angeles Marathon was a success on Sunday,
record turn-out, everything run just fine.

What was your finishing time, Len? How were course conditions?

Well, Len? You said "everything run just fine".

Yes. Everything RAN just fine...using the word "ran" (or "run") as in
an adminstrative action or organizing, starting, keeping it going, and
finally take-down.

You are mighty peevish again, perceiving personal insults at the
slightest provocation. Tsk, tsk, tsk...too many endorphins? :-)

My marathon PR (personal record) is 3 hours 57 minutes 37 seconds.

Have you written the Guiness editors yet?

Did you carry along your code key while setting that terrific time?

Work any DX while running your foot race?

What's your marathon PR, Len?

I don't do Public Relations any more, TAFKARJ.

League isn't too swift in that department and can't get good penetration
of the mass media.

Not my problem.

Go file a complaint with the two League presidents.

Consider that Sports CARS are in Road Races...on roads.
Did that once in a sporty '53 Austin Healey two-seater; the
aluminum body was a great ground plane for a short CB
whip 1959 - 1961. Great make-out vehicle. :-)

The L.A. 2004 Marathon was on the STREETS of Los Angeles,
on on any "roads." :-)

Political Problems in this amateur radio policy newsgroup,
TAFKARJ. Your ham license and marathon times and
morsemanship and ivy-fringed degrees are the
"qualifications" for that, are they not? :-)

Smileys aside, Len, did you look at those links provided by Jim yet?
You blew a lot of smoke about radio amateurs not being involved in the
L.A. Marathon but you don't seem to have anything to counter cold fact.
What about your newspaper reading, TV viewing and your "friend". Were
they all just plain wrong?

Dave K8MN
Old March 13th 04, 06:24 AM
Len Over 21

In article , PAMNO
(N2EY) writes:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article ,

writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,

(N2EY) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article , Alun
writes:

Everything RAN just fine...using the word "ran" (or "run") as in
an adminstrative action or organizing, starting, keeping it going, and
finally take-down.

How do you know?

The L.A. TIMES reported that, several TV news programs reported
that, and at least one official with the Marathon said so to me.

Is everyone required to wait for the "official" word from the ARRL
on the verdict?!?!?

You are mighty peevish again, perceiving personal insults at the
slightest provocation.

Not me. You're the one shouting and calling names.

I didn't name anyone in the Marathon. :-)

The very first marathons didn't need any ham radio to help them.

Why do you keep implying that marathons MUST have ham
radio help to be successful?

My marathon PR (personal record) is 3 hours 57 minutes 37 seconds.

Have you written the Guiness editors yet?

You sound jealous, Len.

Of what? :-)

You haven't proved anything about ham radio being NECESSARY
to stage and operate any marathon.

What's your marathon PR, Len?

I don't do Public Relations any more,

Good. Your style here indicates you'd be very bad at it.

Tsk, tsk, tsk..."you sound jealous." :-)

Consider that Sports CARS are in Road Races...on roads.

They're not allowed in the LA Marathon.

Never said they were.

Road Races are run by sports cars on roads.

Marathoners run on foot.

TAFKARJ sounds like he is developing Road Rage... :-)

They're called road races, Len.

I KNOW some sports car racing events are called ROAD RACES.

Try not to be too much like the Schoolmaster who was once
assigned to the far Amana Colonies...

As suspected, you were not involved in the LA Marathon in any way except as a
distant spectator.

Do you now need the EXACT distance from my TV set to the
northernmost point on the marathon route?!?!?!

You're getting to be as nuts as the gunnery nurse.

I has WRITTEN IN PUBLIC that I WATCHED the marathon. Are
your eyes shot from all that running exertion that you can't read?

But, you never answered about "carrying a code key" while
running. Do you?

You've never said anything about "working DX" while running
either.

Is RUNNING (on foot) something REQUIRED in amateur radio?

Or are you personally disturbed because no one ackhnowledges
your fleetness of foot and renowned running time?

Go rent a DVD of "The Running Man." Consider that the star
managed to get elected to Governor of a state. Aim high,
TAFKARJ. Governorship is far better than ham radio...you could
win and tell MILLIONS what to do and how to behave!

Now, what in the world has all this fuss and bother you are stirring
to do with AMATEUR RADIO?

Sorry to divert you from all those splended AMATEUR RADIO
subjects like national economy, politics, morality, kosher food.

You keep up the good work and keep on essaying in the newsgroup
every day. Folks are hanging on every word...or is that wanting to
hang you for all those words? :-)

Walk the plonk...

LHA / WMD

Old March 13th 04, 06:48 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

. Were they all just plain wrong?

No, but you are.

LHA / WMD
Old March 13th 04, 06:48 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

You can buy an Orion too, Leonard.

I can also by an H2 and pay cash. Don't care to.

You can think of it as a very expensive SWL receiver.

No, I think of it as an updated version of the defunct Kachina.

Poor baby, still miffed because I KNOW how SDRs work
and you don't have a clue?

Ah, but you can do 20 wpm and operate! Wow! Blazing along
at 1/3 the speed of an old, obsolete Model 15 Teletype. Go for
it! :-)

LHA / WMD

Old March 13th 04, 06:48 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

I am forte-laden, Leonard. One of mine is that I'm a radio amateur.
You aren't.

Right...I'm a professional radio person and have been since 1952.

[didn't you get an oriongasm on the last sit-down in fron of your
orion? Tsk, tsk, tsk... ]

LHA / WMD

Old March 13th 04, 12:20 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in message

A local bike race decided to try using cell phones as an experiment last
year. The hams were along, with the knowledge that we might be
"redundant in the future. They found out:

Every person had to be called separately. When a message had to go to
the whole group, everyone had to be called.

Those who were out of coverage range did not get the messages.

Coverage over the entire course was pretty bad.

Using cell phones was an immediate and complete failure. they realized
this on the first call that had to go to everyone.

They couldn't figure all that out ahead of time?

Amazingly enough, no! Cell phones are seductive little things. After
all you can call around the world, send pictures of whatever, and even
look up your email on the web with them. So how on earth can such a
wonderful instrument *not* be good at running a race? Imagine, each and
every participant with their own little radio, ready for direct contact.

Well, there you have it: They did not understand their communications needs.

Any conclusion may be reached with insufficient thought!

Can I steal that phrase? It's the perfect companion to this one:

"If it happens, it must be possible."

Sounds to me like the hams were smart enough to simply let them try it
and see the problems first-hand.

Yup. All of us that had done events before just chuckled and waited.
First call for our help came through a couple minutes after the start.

Fortunate that you folks were there.

Those same problems surfaced in groups searching for wreckage from the
space shuttle disaster last year.

Of course cell phones *do* have uses in those situations. Where one
specific person needs to talk to another specific person, and both are
in the coverage area, they're perfect.

Sure enough. But when many people need to hear instructions at the same

time, or if the area is large and rural, You need a multi-mode system,
and not just line of site low power stuff.

Seems to me that *both* have a role.

Cell phones work for some things, but the idea that they can replace
radio operators is best advanced by those that don't really know how
that particular job is done.

You mean like folks who comment on marathons without ever having been
involved in one other than as a spectator? Or like folks who comment
on amateur radio without ever having been involved other than as a
spectator?

Well, when you put it *that* way, yup!

We call 'em "sidewalk superintendents" or "armchair athletes".

http://www.lamarathon.com/2004/volunteers.php

Some hams and ham equipment spotted in the pix.

Of course.

http://www.doitsports.com/volunteer/info.tcl?job_id=488

(sign up for radio operators - only licensed hams need apply)

Really? I thunk all you needed was a cell phone and the ability to say
"can you hear me now?....how about now? 8^)

That's what some "professionals" would have us believe...

Any conclusion is possible given insufficient......... oh wait, I
already said that, didn't I?

Bears repeating.

http://www.cert-la.com/

(scroll down a bit to where it says "ham radio operators wanted")

Do you think maybe they put that in as an affirmative action sort of
thing? Maybe they just wanted to get the Hams to shut their yap's? ;^)

Naw, it's simpler than that.

Besides their considerable skills and experience, ham volunteers at
events like the LA Marathon provide their own equipment and usually
their own transportation and other support. Try hiring 200
"communications professionals" for a day just to supply radio
communications and see what happens to the race entry fee. (LA says
200 hams, NYC marathon says 400, but of course NYC is a lot bigger
race).

The price for professional radio operators would be from 80 to 160
thousand dollars for an 8 hour day, according to my BOE scribbling.

Marathon day is a lot longer than 8 hours. Figure that the staff is on the
course at least two hours before the starting gun, and that the slowest
particiapnts will finish in more than 5-6 hours, plus awards ceremony, cleanup,
etc., and it's not an 8 hour day for anybody. With 20,000 participants, that's
4 to 8 dollars tacked on to the entry fee.

Which reminds me...time to put the running shoes on..

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old March 13th 04, 12:57 PM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

The price for professional radio operators would be from 80 to 160
thousand dollars for an 8 hour day, according to my BOE scribbling.

Marathon day is a lot longer than 8 hours. Figure that the staff is on the
course at least two hours before the starting gun, and that the slowest
particiapnts will finish in more than 5-6 hours, plus awards ceremony,

cleanup,
etc., and it's not an 8 hour day for anybody. With 20,000 participants,

that's
4 to 8 dollars tacked on to the entry fee.

Which reminds me...time to put the running shoes on..

73 de Jim, N2EY

You left out another block of time. For a large event, there needs to be a
planning/coordination meeting in advance of the marathon that the
communications staff would need to attend. Paid operators won't attend that
for free either.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE