Old March 28th 04, 09:22 AM
Arnie Macy

"Len Over 21" wrote ...

Sheesh, Leonard. We don't use much in the way of milspec electronics
anymore. The new theory adopted by the armed services in 1994 relies
heavily on commercially available gear.

Are you sleeping on your COTS?

The day of everything having to be milspec is long gone.

Bravo Sierra. Those are still here. So are Military

Specifications,
abbreviated "Mil Spec" among those of us who still have to use
them.

The Bravo Sierra is yours, Leonard. Since you don't actually work with

the
military anymore, you are forced to search things out on the net and hope
they are up to date.

Actually, I'm working for a company that is contracting to another
company who has a contract to supply electronics for the DoD.
Not full time. But the MIL STDs of many kinds are in both places
with many different dash number "Mil Specs" called out.

Then you should know that if the product (or service) cannot be obtained
commercially, even the components should be commercial or adapted for
military use. As you know, many "commercial" products already meet or
exceed what we would commonly refer to as Milspec.

Note: "Mil Specs" is an old term for MILITARY STANDARDS of
many kinds, informal. They have all sorts of effective dates to
them but I'm trusting another to keep them all current and also do
all the bookkeeping on checking document call-outs, to see we
all have the standard specified on-hand.

OTOH, I work IN the system and understand how it
ACTUALLY is quite well.

Okay, tell us which ring at the Pentagon your office is located and
I may get a chance to look you up...

I quoted from the FAR and you still sit there and
argue with me. What part of FACT don't you get?

My organization didn't get that particular document so I can't
verify it. :-)

The FAR is the Federal Aquisition Regulation (15 and 42) and the DFAR is the
defense version. If you are a contractor and or sub-contractor on a
government contract, you are required to be familiar with it. Seriously,
you might want to tell your employer to supply you a copy since you and I
both are bound by what it says.

I'm sure that you need only imply you always tell the truth
in here and that is the Final Word. :-)

Do you know what COTS is? Ask around. Don't sleep on the job.

COTS = Commercial Off The Shelf.

I'm quite familiar with the term COTS. I didn't respond because it was a
moronic question to ask someone who works in the system.

Been around for over a decade now. It applies to specialized things
such as the three principal ICs found in the R/T for the AN/PRC-119.
ITT and GD make a quarter million of those sets between 1989 and
2003. It's the standard small-unit (battalion and down) radio for U.S.
military land forces.

COR on a 6 million dollar contract.

Wow, the "Six Million Dollar Ham!" "...We have the technology, we
can rebuild Arnie..." Cut to promo, voice-over "Coming to your
favorite channel any day now...!", up exciting music bkgd, take
title...

Say what you want, but I have the EXPERIENCE with the contract and KNOW

what
I'm talking about. All you have is an internet search tool, and "Old"
knowledge concerning how the aquisition system works.

Righto, Col. Steve Austin, your bionics make you superior everywhere.

"Millions" in contract awards have been awarded since WW2. The
dollar amounts, normalized for the COLA, serve only to indicate the
size of a particular project. That's a manager and bean-counter
thing; us folks with the dirtier hands concentrate on the works of a
project in order to fulfill a contract.

And as the COR, I make sure that you do.

The COR (Contract Officer Representative or COTR (technical added)) IS the
person in the weeds, Leonard. We surveille, inspect, rate, and coordinate
with the contractor concerning every aspect of the contract for the CO. The
6 million dollar contract (for which I am still the COR) extends over a
period of 2 years. We are only 3 months into it at this point, and have
just completed our first quarterly performance rating for them. They did
quite well.

New stuff, Leonard. Doesn't even remotely resemble what you did in 1955.

gave you the web site to research. What, did the BIG words stump you?

"BIG" is also an acronym now? [what will they think of next?]

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? Antidisestablishmentarianism?

I'm working with HEMT, PHEMT, and GaSP devices. For radio
purposes...and some of that will bleed over to WiFax, one of the
IEEE 802 standard systems for broadband (it ain't "Wi-Fi" but one
of the families within the standard). DoD will own the plans per
terms of the overall contract, but the techniques and notebook
data aren't owned by da gubmint.

I bet you a dollar to a donut that the military specific application of that
technology is quite proprietary.

Now you shoulder your FAR away VTC and bravely defend the
Homeland Security by shouting and hollering your magnificence
in this newsgrope. That means all of us on the project can
finish and get final payment.

You don't have the brain power to have any ammo of consequence, Leonard.

Whatever you say, Steve Austin. :-)

You are the one with morse code expertise and the bionic VTC.

We will all sleep safely on our COTS at night knowing the USA is
guarded by such knowledgeable superiors.

Actually, yes you will.

Old March 28th 04, 09:25 AM
Arnie Macy

"Len Over 21" wrote ...

Isn't it awful? Gosh, he ought to contact the other Steve, Colonel
Austin (the one with the bionic VTC), and, with the aid of a ham
in Iowa, they can straighten all this out to assure their amateur
god-hood.

I just have to laugh. This very same technology that you make fun of (I
presume because you don''t have a clue) is the same technology that might
very well save your butt some day.

Arnie -

Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 44 December 11th 04 02:05 AM
Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 0 December 7th 04 10:44 PM
WRONG PHONETICS Caveat Lector Dx 1 September 21st 03 04:22 PM
GAY BISHOPS: WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT? Don Souter General 0 July 3rd 03 11:51 PM