Old March 23rd 04, 02:58 AM
William

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message ...
"William" wrote in part ...

If I dial home, and I get Iowa, then my comms failed. You need to have a
goal before you ever switch the radio on.

Our goal was to check the functionality of the HF gear. We made multiple
contacts on multiple bands -- making contacts throughout the day. Those
were the parameters of the test. Test successful.

Your initial post didn't make it appear that way.

We have written MOAs
with the stations that we intend to contact during the exercise, so they
completely understand the nature of the "no-warning" scenario. We also ran
functionality tests on the VTC/SAT and VOIP equipment. It was a busy day.

Sounds good.

As you know, all major exercises have an extensive OPORD that directs us
before anything begins. Ours has been in place for months. All T's
crossed.

And you've trained your volunteers to some standard?

Does your military installation have a MARS base support team?

We do not use MARS for multiple reasons. All of our ops are civil service
and FCC Licensed Hams. This gives us much greater latitude in the
equipment, modes, and frequencies available to us.

That's too bad. Military communications has a specialized function
for such purposes.

The EM operation is a
completely civilian one. Sorry if I didn't make that clear before. Of
course, we had to clear the frequency use with the folks at the installation
DOIM, but that was just a formality.

Arnie -

Always is.

Best of luck.
Old March 23rd 04, 04:32 AM
Arnie Macy

"William" wrote ...

And you've trained your volunteers to some standard?

Our "volunteers" are government employees who have this duty assigned to
them as part of their employment, and they are well trained in EM. All of
the angencies that support us have trained their volunteers via either RACES
or ARES in EM. Of course, that training varies from jurisdiction to
jurisdiction, but there is little we can do to enforce our standards on
them.

Does your military installation have a MARS base support team?

We do not use MARS for multiple reasons. All of our ops are civil

service
and FCC Licensed Hams. This gives us much greater latitude in the
equipment, modes, and frequencies available to us.

That's too bad. Military communications has a specialized function
for such purposes.

I agree that the specialized function it provides could have assisted us --
and we too a long look at that when we were planning. But in reviewing all
COAs, the cost-benefit just wasn't there. Since we are primarily in contact
with civilian agencies (both state and federal) during emergencies, it made
better sense to utilize the cilvilian HAM radio assets we had in place. We
have plenty of standard military comms available other than MARS HF. The
Amateur radio piece is for redundancy purposes -- not as a primary means of
communication. For example, all of our VHF is military and of course the
SAT and wireless is run on military net/satilites for security purposes.

Arnie -

Old March 23rd 04, 04:35 AM
Arnie Macy

"Steve Robeson K4CAP" wrote ...

Brian Burke, AKA "Billy Beeper" AKA "William" accused you of "enabling" me
over my refusal to be bowled over by Lennie's arrogance. Don't let him make
YOU an "enabler" by acknowledging his alter-ego. BillyBeeper/William is
Brain Burke, taking a lesson from Lennie in how to disperse his
foolheartiness over several screen names.

Thanks for the info, Steve. You don't have to tell me about Leonard's
arrogance -- we've all had to live with it for years. "The great white
current chaser" and "Legend in his own mind".

Arnie -

Old March 23rd 04, 12:22 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message ...

Thanks for the info, Steve. You don't have to tell me about Leonard's
arrogance -- we've all had to live with it for years. "The great white
current chaser" and "Legend in his own mind".

No problem, Arnie. Welcome back to the fray.

Current Lennie/Brain practice is to make assertions they know are
either false or area at least dubiously true and then call you "nuts"
when you ask them to validate thier assertions.

Brain's most recent NG faux pas was to claim that the unlicensed
radio services (Class D CB, FRS, MURS, Part 15) "play a major role in
emergency comms".

I've quoted Brain word-for-word several times and asked him to
please provide some examples, but so far he's only gotten as far as
calling me "obnoxious", etc. His recent "Quioterobeson" is
cute...even imaginitive.. now if I could just get a straight answer
out of him!

A neverending task, but I am hopeful!

73

Steve, K4YZ
Old March 24th 04, 11:26 AM
William

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message ...
"William" wrote ...

And you've trained your volunteers to some standard?

Our "volunteers" are government employees who have this duty assigned to
them as part of their employment, and they are well trained in EM. All of
the angencies that support us have trained their volunteers via either RACES
or ARES in EM. Of course, that training varies from jurisdiction to
jurisdiction, but there is little we can do to enforce our standards on
them.

I could be wrong, but I think only school teachers and the ARRL's W1AW
Operator are allowed to be paid while using amateur radio.

[...]

Fair enough.

Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 44 December 11th 04 02:05 AM
Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 0 December 7th 04 10:44 PM
WRONG PHONETICS Caveat Lector Dx 1 September 21st 03 04:22 PM
GAY BISHOPS: WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT? Don Souter General 0 July 3rd 03 11:51 PM