Old July 17th 04, 09:21 PM
Mike Coslo

Tony Viglio wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

snipage

Some people might say "people complain about no one wanting to do
anything, and someone shows up that does, and you want to get rid of
him." But that isn't the case. You're dealing with an off center
character here.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Exactly! You seem very familiar with the situation we are dealing with.

Tony, I've been the target and victim of that type. I had a very
successful hockey team going at one point. Along comes a new guy, an
average player, but with *big* plans. "we gotta do this, we gotta do
that". Finally he wanted me to get rid of some of the weaker players
because they were "holding the team back". Keep in mind we were the best
team in our division, and maybe lost two games that season. But I
wouldn't have done it anyway, as they were my team mates.

So he charmed the assistant captains and some of the best players into
a revolt against me, then charmed the league into believing that this
group could compete at the next level. This left me out in the cold as
far as that team was concerned. My son stuck by me and wouldn't play for
the "new" team.

So yeah, you could say I'm familiar with that type. And that's why you
are in trouble.

The only consolation was that the league commissioner called me a
little while back to apologize for the shabby way I was treated in this
whole mess.

And my ex-team? Well that was the other part of his call. Under the
leadership of Mr. Charming, they went out and promptly fell on their
faces. They won 1 game, (IIRC) and the average loss was by double
digits. (a little hard to do in hockey) They were possibly not even
going to be allowed to play in the league in the future.

Oh, and Mr. Charm? I'll give you one guess what he did.

Big plans and pipe dreams are all very good, but not a substitute for
leadership.

You gotta boot this guy's sorry ass out, and soon! - pardon my French! 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 17th 04, 09:56 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

The trick is that it doesn't have to be one or the other. Just give
the new guy a job to do, and see how he does.

Not really Jim. This type will join, then undermine.

How, Mike?

Seems to me this guy talks a rope. OK, fine, put him to work on *one thing*.
Like "OK, get us a speaker for the next meeting". Then stand back.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old July 18th 04, 02:17 AM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

The trick is that it doesn't have to be one or the other. Just give
the new guy a job to do, and see how he does.

Not really Jim. This type will join, then undermine.

How, Mike?

Seems to me this guy talks a rope. OK, fine, put him to work on *one thing*.
Like "OK, get us a speaker for the next meeting". Then stand back.

Dunno if you read my other reply, Jim. There was the explanation of
why. Normal people don't act like that, and if someone like that ever
shows up to play for a team of mine again, they'll get a "thanks but no
thanks" really quick.

Have you ever met a person that within 5 minutes of meeting you, feels
compelled to tell you all kinds of details about their life that you'd
normally share only with very close friends? That's a similar sort of
personality, only more passive than the type that want's to run the club
after 2 meetings. Bad news.

The end result is always that they quit. So we might as well cut to the
chase. That way there is less damage. If I would have just tossed the
guy early on, there would have been a hockey team doing well and paying
it's bills, instead of a team in disarray, eventually disbanding and
costing the league money that other teams have to make up. One person
with the con man ability messing up things for several hundred people.

That's how.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 18th 04, 12:43 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Seems to me this guy talks a rope. OK, fine, put him to work on *one

thing*.
Like "OK, get us a speaker for the next meeting". Then stand back.

Dunno if you read my other reply, Jim. There was the explanation of
why. Normal people don't act like that, and if someone like that ever
shows up to play for a team of mine again, they'll get a "thanks but no
thanks" really quick.

If this dudee is anyhting like the one in your hockey story he's nothing but
trouble.

Have you ever met a person that within 5 minutes of meeting you, feels
compelled to tell you all kinds of details about their life that you'd
normally share only with very close friends? That's a similar sort of
personality, only more passive than the type that want's to run the club
after 2 meetings. Bad news.

Very bad news.

Remember "The Music Man" and 'Professor' Harold Hill? Same sort of thing, only
all HH was after was money.

The end result is always that they quit. So we might as well cut to the
chase. That way there is less damage. If I would have just tossed the
guy early on, there would have been a hockey team doing well and paying
it's bills, instead of a team in disarray, eventually disbanding and
costing the league money that other teams have to make up. One person
with the con man ability messing up things for several hundred people.

Yep.

I used to wonder why some organizations had rules such as "you can't be an
officer until you've been a member for X amount of time" and "you have to serve
on a committee first, and you can only serve on one committee at a time", etc.
It's clear now.

That's how.

Trouble with a capital T.

73 de Jim, N2EY