Old December 3rd 04, 11:00 PM
Noise From Afar

Interesting FCC actions against unlicensed operators at URL:

http://www.arrl.org/news/enforcement...2003/0823.html

After reading it, I wonder what YOUR answer would be now to the Header
Question ??

--
ruido de icógnito

Old December 16th 04, 03:03 PM
Dolemite

Thanks for the great site reference Ruido. After looking at the
letters I noticed a few things:

1 - all enforcement letters come in response to complaints made by
people who were affected by deliberate tampering and/or repeated
threats.

2 - The letters were in response to licensed operators, or those with a
license application pending.

3 - The FCC is a funny entity. I think for the first time ever, I
agree with Howard Stern. They offer $80 licenses for $20 products; no
training, no personalized frequency, no benefit included, except being
duped into paying a cleverly masked tax. If restricted use for these
frequencies is really an issue, the FCC should first approach the
manufactures of these products and ensure that proper visibility for
the license requirement is included on the packaging.

4 - I do not fall under any of the pretenses described on that page
that would qualify for enforcement by the FCC. My $20 handset will be
used on channels 8 - 13, which are approved for use without a license.
My intended use will clearly be within the 2 mile radius of the FRM
frequency.

Noise From Afar wrote:
Interesting FCC actions against unlicensed operators at URL:

http://www.arrl.org/news/enforcement...2003/0823.html

After reading it, I wonder what YOUR answer would be now to the

Header=20
Question ??
=20
=20
--=20
ruido de ic=F3gnito

Old December 16th 04, 07:26 PM
N2PZK

Dear Alexis,
The FCC bases its investigations on repeated reciept of complaints against any
station, licensed or not. As I understand the FRS/GMRS band, GMRS licensed
users have primary band privledges where FRS limited to 500mW share certain
channels. If you really want to get into radio as a hobby investigate how to
get your ham radio license and you'll see there's a world of difference between
GMRS and Amateurs...anyway have fun.
N2PZK
Howie