Old November 18th 04, 06:06 PM
Dolemite

Default Do I really need a license from the FCC

I just bought two Uniden GMRS 2-way radios for $20. I plan to use
them while shopping in the mall and while out playing paintball. Do I
really need to get an $80 5-year license from the FCC? What does the
license protect against? Its not like I'm given my own frequency.

Thanks for your help
Old November 18th 04, 10:48 PM
King Zulu

"Dolemite" wrote in message
om...
I just bought two Uniden GMRS 2-way radios for $20. I plan to use
them while shopping in the mall and while out playing paintball. Do I
really need to get an $80 5-year license from the FCC? What does the
license protect against? Its not like I'm given my own frequency.

Thanks for your help

Allowing you to buy a radio that requires a license, but not requiring you
to have or buy the license before purchase makes as much sense as selling
high powered amplifiers to CBers without requiring them to show evidence
that the buyer is licensed for its use, or at least willing to sign a
statement that they understand they must have a license before using the
amplifier on the air. (The statement should have the buyer's address as
well, and list the penalties for illegal use.) It's almost like the
government doesn't care, isn't it? And such laws come from the same group
that raids the funds put away for social security and generates deficit
budgets. Does the FCC care about the license? Probably only if they get a
complaint about how you are using it. Anyone know what the fine might be??

ak

Old November 18th 04, 11:59 PM
Dee D. Flint

"King Zulu" wrote in message

"Dolemite" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Unlicensed operation can be fined as much as $10,000. So $80 for five years
is a pretty cheap to insure that one doesn't get fined for unlicensed
operation.

Old November 19th 04, 05:19 PM
Tom Randy

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:06:13 -0800, Dolemite wrote:

I just bought two Uniden GMRS 2-way radios for $20. I plan to use them
while shopping in the mall and while out playing paintball. Do I really
need to get an $80 5-year license from the FCC? What does the license
protect against?

A $7 to $10,000 fine. Just get the license.

Old November 24th 04, 04:12 PM
Dolemite

Thanks alot for everyone's responses. I just had the handsets
delivered yesterday. Am I missing something here? Why would someone
complain about me using a hand held radio on occassion for brief
periods of time? Its not like I'm broadcasting a pirate radio station
or purposly messing with other communications. Are there accounts of
the FCC going after private users for consumer products? My
intension is to use the radios while out camping or playing paintball,
maybe if I get lost in the mall so my girlfriend can guide me through
it.

I was on the FCC website already (was going to swallow the $80) and
realized all I had to do was send a check for the license. There's
not testing or training involved. Again, it doesn't make sense for
paying for an $80 license for a $20 product. Will having the license
teach me anything new about how to use the product? It seems more
like an added tax on a purchased product than ensuring users know how
to properly use the product.

Again, thank you for everyone's responses.

Old November 24th 04, 04:53 PM
Dee D. Flint

It would be better to return the GMRS radios and get FRS radios instead. No
license is required for the latter.

It doesn't make sense to risk a $10,000 fine. The FCC usually issues the
max fine allowed not the min. And yes they do go after people for violating
the regs even for consumer goods.

For GMRS, the license is merely a money raising scheme for the government.
It has nothing to do with technical expertise. But then since one is not
allowed to modify the radios in anyway or connect them to other products, no
technical expertise is required.

om...

Old November 24th 04, 04:55 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

In a nutshell -- using a radio to transmit on a band that requires a
license -- is against the law.

You can rationalize and complain all day long -- but the above fact is the
bottom line.

Lots of laws "make no sense" but laws are laws -- break them and suffer
possible consequences.

Will you get caught -- maybe -- maybe not -- why take the chance ?

Keep in mind that those that paid for a license will take a dim view of
those who don't -- may even turn you in.

That is a given on the Ham bands, we are very protective of the privileges.
I suspect the GMRS folks are also.

Perhaps investigate alternatives

1. CB Radio -- no license
2. FRS Radio -- no license

My wife and kids and I use FRS radios all the time -- Shopping Malls,
Disneyland, camping etc. And FRS radios are very inexpensive.

Yes they have a limited range -- so if you want broader coverage -- get a
Ham license.

I can talk thru a repeater to ranges over 50 miles on VHF/UHF with hundreds
of frequencies and also world wide on HF

Ham tickets are easy --See URL:
http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

om...

Old November 24th 04, 05:08 PM
Tom Randy

Tom Randy wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:06:13 -0800, Dolemite wrote:

I just bought two Uniden GMRS 2-way radios for $20. I plan to use
them while shopping in the mall and while out playing paintball. Do I
really need to get an $80 5-year license from the FCC? What does the
license protect against?

A $7 to $10,000 fine. Just get the license.

Look into FRS radio then. No license required.
Old November 24th 04, 06:24 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-11-24, Dolemite wrote:
Thanks alot for everyone's responses. I just had the handsets
delivered yesterday. Am I missing something here? Why would someone
complain about me using a hand held radio on occassion for brief
periods of time? Its not like I'm broadcasting a pirate radio station
or purposly messing with other communications. Are there accounts of
the FCC going after private users for consumer products? My
intension is to use the radios while out camping or playing paintball,
maybe if I get lost in the mall so my girlfriend can guide me through
it.

If you are using a GMRS radio without a license, you are intentionally
interfering with other communications -- the legally licensed users of the
band. Remember GMRS frequencies are shared, so the licensed users have a
right to complain, and the FCC can go after you. If you want license free,
use FRS, MURS or cell phones.

I was on the FCC website already (was going to swallow the $80) and
realized all I had to do was send a check for the license. There's
not testing or training involved. Again, it doesn't make sense for
paying for an $80 license for a $20 product. Will having the license
teach me anything new about how to use the product? It seems more
like an added tax on a purchased product than ensuring users know how
to properly use the product.

Yes -- a $80 license for a $20 radio does seem a bit steep, but if you
realize that in the fairly recent past, these radios were not in the $20-$30
range, but more like $200+ each and more likely to be used my small
businesses than individuals, the fee sort of makes sense. As it stands now,
it is more of a money maker for the FCC, rather than a tax.

--
Alex / AB2RC
Linux is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly.
Old November 26th 04, 04:53 AM
Alun

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
:

It would be better to return the GMRS radios and get FRS radios
instead. No license is required for the latter.

It doesn't make sense to risk a $10,000 fine. The FCC usually issues
the max fine allowed not the min. And yes they do go after people for
violating the regs even for consumer goods.

For GMRS, the license is merely a money raising scheme for the
government. It has nothing to do with technical expertise. But then
since one is not allowed to modify the radios in anyway or connect them
to other products, no technical expertise is required.

om...

Tom Randy wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:06:13 -0800, Dolemite wrote:

I just bought two Uniden GMRS 2-way radios for $20. I plan to use
them while shopping in the mall and while out playing paintball.
Do I really need to get an $80 5-year license from the FCC? What
does the license protect against?

A $7 to $10,000 fine. Just get the license.

GMRS and FRS rules are something of a mess, IMHO.

You have to understand that the GMRS licence actually allows you to use a
higher powered mobile transceiver, but only on two channels that you
designate. There are actually repeaters on a lot of these channels, but
unlike in the amateur service, they are 'closed' and you have to pay to use
them (in ham radio in the US a repeater can either be 'closed' to outside
users or can raise money by membership of an association, but never both,
whereas in GMRS it is invariably both).

GMRS was later expanded so that the licence included the use of lower power
handhelds on 'interstitial' channels, i.e. channels that are half way
inbetween each of the repeater channels.

Then FRS was introduced at still a lower level of power on the GMRS
interstitial channels.

What has happened since is that stores are selling GMRS handhelds alonside
the FRS ones. This is either because they are lacking in scruples, or
because they are ignorant. Since a GMRS handheld works on all the FRS
channels but at higher power, the temptation to get one instead is rather
high.

The licence for GMRS is not just for the handhelds, but also for the
mobiles which run more power and can use repeaters, albeit at further cost.
AFAIK, the mobiles and the handhelds in GMRS can't even communicate with
oneanother as they don't use the same channels, which apears to be totally
SNAFU to me.

I am not a GMRS user, and there may be some errors in what I said above,
but I think that is substantially how it is. BTW, GMRS was originally part
of CB!