Old December 6th 04, 07:09 PM
Dee D. Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote '

Lucky you!! What is your setup if I may ask? I was only in a little

while
each evening and my antenna is not sufficient to hit a jackpot like

that.
I'm doing well if I work Iowa from here. Although I did hear Wyoming

but he
was hunting and pouncing darn it!

IC-775DSP, AL-1200, Inverted "L".

73, de Hans, K0HB

I've been thinking about trying to set one up. What's the details on yours
(length of vertical section, length of horizontal section, height above
ground, feedline, etc.)?

Thanks,
Dee

Old December 6th 04, 10:43 PM
KØHB

"Dee D. Flint" wrote

I've been thinking about trying to set one up. What's the details on yours
(length of vertical section, length of horizontal section, height above
ground, feedline, etc.)?

My overall length is 158 feet. The vertical section is 65 feet, and the
horizontal is 93. This is somewhat longer than the 'classic quarter' design,
but seems to work better for me. Rather than think of it as a quarter wave
antenna, I visualize it as a very short toploaded vertical. I feed with 50-ohm
coax, and a small variable series matching capacitor (I think it's around
400-100pf). My counterpoise is 8 random length radials, plus four 10-foot
copperclad ground rods.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 6th 04, 11:11 PM
KØHB

"KØHB" wrote

(I think it's around 400-100pf).

Make that "400-1000pf"

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 7th 04, 02:45 AM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote

Have to build an interface to key the Southgate Type 7, though. Nice old CP
Clare mercury wetted relay should do the job...

How much voltage on the keying line? Unless it's grid-block keying or similar,
you won't need a relay.

Serial port keying (assuming the radio is positive keyed) can be built into a
DB25 or DB9 connector shell using only a single resistor and a junk-box
transistor.

Hang a 1K resistor on DTR (pin 20 on a DB25, pin 4 on a DB9). Other end of the
resistor to the base of a small-signal NPN (I use a 2N3904 cuz it was in my junk
box, but 2N4401 or others similar will be just fine). Connect the emitter and
the transmitter ground return to Signal Ground (pin 7 on a DB25, pin 5 on a
DB9). Connect the collector directly to the transceiver key input.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 7th 04, 12:24 PM
N2EY

In article . net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

Have to build an interface to key the Southgate Type 7, though. Nice old CP
Clare mercury wetted relay should do the job...

How much voltage on the keying line?

About 75-100 volts, 20 mA or so. Positive to ground.

Unless it's grid-block keying or
similar, you won't need a relay.

That works!

Serial port keying (assuming the radio is positive keyed) can be built into a

DB25 or DB9 connector shell using only a single resistor and a junk-box
transistor.

Hang a 1K resistor on DTR (pin 20 on a DB25, pin 4 on a DB9). Other end of
the
resistor to the base of a small-signal NPN (I use a 2N3904 cuz it was in my
junk
box, but 2N4401 or others similar will be just fine). Connect the emitter
and
the transmitter ground return to Signal Ground (pin 7 on a DB25, pin 5 on a
DB9). Connect the collector directly to the transceiver key input.

I'll check that out! Have some of junker DB9 and '25 connectors from various
sources. Might need something beefier than a 2N3904 but that's not a problem at
all. Beats dealing with the inductive kick of the relay coil.

Worse comes to worse, a small pentode could be used as a keyer tube to drive
the relay. With low plate voltage the key line could be just a few mils and
volts above ground. Probably won't need to go that far, though.

Thanks Hans!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 7th 04, 01:56 PM
KØHB

About 75-100V

Holy moley! Are you serious? Now I know what they mean when they say
"N2EY sure has a hot key."
My idea anticipated maybe 12V keying voltage.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 7th 04, 02:10 PM
KØHB

About 75-100 volts, 20 mA or so. Positive to ground.

I just did the math, Jim. You're sinking more power in your keying
circuit than a lot QRPers deliver to the antenna!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 7th 04, 06:00 PM
N2EY

In article . com,
"=?iso-8859-1?B?S9hIQg==?=" writes:

About 75-100V

Holy moley! Are you serious?

Heck yes. That's not a lot compared to some rigs I've used.

Type 7 (and Type 6 before it) cathode key the Class A driver stage.

Now I know what they mean when they say
"N2EY sure has a hot key."

bwaahaahaa

My idea anticipated maybe 12V keying voltage.

All it takes is a bigger transistor.

Many manufactured transceivers and trasnmitters using grid block keying put
more juice on the key than my rigs do.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old December 7th 04, 06:00 PM
N2EY

In article .com,
"=?iso-8859-1?B?S9hIQg==?=" writes:

About 75-100 volts, 20 mA or so. Positive to ground.

I just did the math, Jim. You're sinking more power in your keying
circuit than a lot QRPers deliver to the antenna!

Not really, Hans.

The 75-100 volts is open-circuit, measured with a VTVM. The 20 mA is
short-circuit.

Of course the pilot lights on the Type 7 (6.3 V at about .8 amp total) use more
power than many QRPers deliver to the antenna....

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 7th 04, 07:14 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
k.net...

"KØHB" wrote

(I think it's around 400-100pf).

Make that "400-1000pf"

73, de Hans, K0HB

I tried that design for a few years myself Hans. And it did indeed work
well. Then I decided to go with the classic 1/4 wave design. I really
couldn't tell much, if any difference. Only advantage to the 1/4 wave
design that I can see is the transmitter likes it better. Thus don't have
to use a tuner or matching device.

Dan/W4NTI

Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st Dwight Stewart Policy 300 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM