Old December 18th 04, 03:53 PM
G. Doughty

Default contesting. . .what to do?

Good Morning,
Just looking through the Dec. QST and looking at some of the special events
and contests. As I have never done a contest, I am lost. I am interested
in the cw side of the lighthouse event but don't know what a "serial number"
is that they want as part of the QSO. I am also unfamiliar with the
etiquette of contesting. Also, I am only sending and receiving 15wpm so I
can't keep up with half of the OM (and OL) that are sending so I can't
figure out what the etiquette is that way. I really would like to
participate in these events as practice makes perfect, but do not want to
step on anyone's toes.

As always thanks for the suggestions!

G. Doughty
ki4bbl

Old December 18th 04, 04:24 PM
bb

G, lighthouses sound like fun, and you already have all of the serial
numbers you'll need in your pocket. When you contact your first
lighthouse, you give them serial number 1. When you contact your
second lighthouse, you give them serial number 2..., etc.

As far as speed goes, Morsemen are kindest and most helpfullest
amateurs of all. If they forget to match the speed that they were
called at, you could send to them "QRS" and they will get the hint.
Best of Luck, bb

Old December 18th 04, 04:42 PM
KØHB

"G. Doughty" wrote

Just looking through the Dec. QST and looking at some of the special events
and contests. As I have never done a contest, I am lost. I am interested
in the cw side of the lighthouse event but don't know what a "serial number"
is that they want as part of the QSO. I am also unfamiliar with the
etiquette of contesting. Also, I am only sending and receiving 15wpm so I
can't keep up with half of the OM (and OL) that are sending so I can't
figure out what the etiquette is that way. I really would like to
participate in these events as practice makes perfect, but do not want to
step on anyone's toes.

Hi Shipmate, Jump in, the water is fine, and don't worry about anyone's toes.

Each contest differs in it's objectives and rules, but they all follow the
general pattern of trying to contact as many of the target stations as possible
(in this case stations at Lighthouses). A "serial number" is just a sequential
number which you assign to each contact..... your first contact is #1, second
is #2, etc.

There are a lot of resources on the web to learn contesting, to get logging
programs, participate in reflectors, etc. One of the best places to start might
be http://www.contesting.com --- from there you'll find a host of links other
subscribe to the CQ-Contest email reflector. It's the largest in the world, and
your questions on any conceivable radiosport subject will be answered.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 18th 04, 04:48 PM
G. Doughty

Thanks for the input folks. pretty cool. I am currently using aclog 2.6.
Would I need to start a new log for the contest or just send the lighthouse
contacts I made? I have so many questions. When contesting cw, when you
send CQ, is it followed by "contest" like on SSB or / something? I didn't
see that on any of the contests I saw in the magazine.

Thanks again

"KØHB" wrote in message
news

"G. Doughty" wrote

sites. Go to http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/CQ-Contest and

Old December 18th 04, 05:42 PM
Caveat Lector

Contesting is an art. Very difficult to explain in written form or even
video.
You might contact a local contester who will tutor you. Or let you observe
the drill.
Check for contest clubs or DX clubs in ur area -- see URL:
http://ac6v.com/clubs.htm

Here in So Cal we have a contest station who does this and has successfully
trained a dozen or so folks.

Also a great way to jump in is to go to a local club field day -- they are
always willing to help and get you into the field day contesting.

Be aware you don't have to submit logs and "be in the contest" to
participate. Contest stations will welcome ur contact as they are after max
contacts. Also in the waning hours of a contest, many big contest stations
are calling CQ test and no one answers (maybe worked most) so this is a good
time to call em.

For CW it is best to call stations. If you call CQ CQ TEST -- many will come
back at high speed. So until you get your speed up be the "callee" not the
"callor"

If you do call CQ in CW and can't copy -- send QRS (slow down) either they
will or if they are in a hurry -- will just go away (;-)
Really not a good idea as many want quick contacts which are essential to
those who will submit logs.

There are computer pileup trainers -- See URL:
http://ac6v.com/morseprograms.htm#PT

There are some books that cover contesting -- use Google
type in "CW contesting"

Jump in -- fun and completive or both
As they say -- Good Luck In The Contest.

Contest calendar and rules - reports etc -- see URL:
http://home.online.no/~janalme/hammain.html
Several coming up in January

Quote "covering over 200 events! And you don't need a sophisticated
calulator to figure out that this means an average of 4.0 per weekend"

There are no contests on 30M, 17M, and 12M

--
Caveat Lecter

Old December 18th 04, 06:28 PM
Dee Flint

"G. Doughty" wrote in message
Good Morning,
Just looking through the Dec. QST and looking at some of the special
events
and contests. As I have never done a contest, I am lost. I am interested
in the cw side of the lighthouse event but don't know what a "serial
number"
is that they want as part of the QSO. I am also unfamiliar with the
etiquette of contesting. Also, I am only sending and receiving 15wpm so I
can't keep up with half of the OM (and OL) that are sending so I can't
figure out what the etiquette is that way. I really would like to
participate in these events as practice makes perfect, but do not want to
step on anyone's toes.

As always thanks for the suggestions!

G. Doughty
ki4bbl

Generally they will slow down to the speed at which you contact them. If
they do not, send QRS. If 15wpm is your comfort speed, you can even send
QRS 15 so they know what you need.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 19th 04, 05:09 AM
robert casey

G. Doughty wrote:
Thanks for the input folks. pretty cool. I am currently using aclog 2.6.
Would I need to start a new log for the contest or just send the lighthouse
contacts I made? I have so many questions. When contesting cw, when you
send CQ, is it followed by "contest" like on SSB or / something? I didn't
see that on any of the contests I saw in the magazine.

Just listen around to see how others are doing it. Then answer others'
CQs and tune around. In time you'll get it and then find an empty
frequency and have at it.
Old December 19th 04, 05:16 AM
robert casey

Generally they will slow down to the speed at which you contact them. If
they do not, send QRS. If 15wpm is your comfort speed, you can even send
QRS 15 so they know what you need.

You could run a tape machine to record the contacts so if
you did miss something just replay it later.

On phone
contests I'll answer a contester CQ with my callsign,
he repeats it, then gives me a report of some sort, and
serial numbers or whatever. Then I say "Your 59 in NNJ,
your number is 007". Then he then proceeds to the next
contact. That's when I get his callsign to write it in
the log. I don't compete, but I like contests for a
steady supply of quick QSOs to see how far my signal
goes...
Old December 20th 04, 07:03 PM
G. Doughty

Thank you for all the suggestions. I downloaded morse runner and have a
problem. I keep getting a "NR" for my qso's. sometimes it is ok but it
seems to be a string. I just did two contacts and on 002 I got NR. How is
that? Thanks for the help

Greg
ki4bbl