Old April 17th 05, 05:15 AM
Mel A. Nomah

Default Morse gone by summer???

"Hamguy" wrote in message

: http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=689

That link supposes that the fcc will delete the Morse requirement.

Other insiders suggest fcc will NPRM will delete Morse only for General
license, and will INCREASE the test to 20WPM for renewed Extra class,
downgrading all current "Extra Lite" licenses to resurrected Advanced
license (the second time this license has risen from the ashes). ARRL
giveaway program will be denied.

M.A.N.
--
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord,
make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it."

Old April 17th 05, 02:05 PM

Mel A. Nomah wrote:
"Hamguy" wrote in message

: http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=689

That link supposes that the fcc will delete the Morse requirement.

Other insiders suggest fcc will NPRM will delete Morse only for

General
license, and will INCREASE the test to 20WPM for renewed Extra class,
downgrading all current "Extra Lite" licenses to resurrected Advanced
license (the second time this license has risen from the ashes).

ARRL
giveaway program will be denied.

All it really says is that the FCC is working on an NPRM that may be
out as soon as next month or as late as July. That NPRM will obviously
contain what FCC wants to do as a result of WRC 2003 and the 18
restructuring petitions.

Once the NPRM becomes public, there will be a comment period, then a
reply comment period. Couple of months at least, maybe longer. Probably
the end of 2005 before comments close.

Then FCC will decide what to do and formulate a Report and Order. Last
time they did this it took almost a year. Which translates to fall
2006. Then a couple months before the new rules become effective -
maybe end of 2006.

Of course it could take even longer, or maybe a bit less. But I
wouldn't expect any changes before summer 2006 - and wouldn't be
surprised if it were summer 2007.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old April 17th 05, 02:27 PM
cl

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mel A. Nomah wrote:
"Hamguy" wrote in message

[...]

Those who defy wanting to learn the code jump at any chance to perpetuate
rumors of code being eliminated. You're right, it will take a while, even if
they were to decide to write a NPRM to do such. If these people jumped into
Alligator infested waters as fast as they do rumors, the population would
take a sudden drop. I'm not a "lover" of code, but I have hold a license
which required code. 5 WPM is not impossible to learn. It only takes a few
minutes a day and about 2 weeks at least to get enough to pass a test. 2
weeks is not long, you probably drove longer on a permit before being
allowed to drive on your own. Probably studied the book longer too! It takes
little effort. The biggest problem with most is "laziness". Maybe you never
will use it again. There are many things you learn in life and may never use
again, unless you plan to play on Jeopardy. Many people learned the skeletal
system in health class, microorganisms in Biology class. It doesn't mean
they use it now. Probably forgot it as soon as they graduated. But, it was
"required". It's not a big deal people. Once you get past the "do I have to"
and start doing it, you'll amaze yourself at how fast and easy it can be. I
DO use code now and then, but not daily like many others do. Everyone has
their own thing. Some are into Packet, RTTY, AMTOR, etc, I'm not... To each
his own. But we all had to learn "something" about those modes to pass an
exam.

cl

Old April 17th 05, 07:08 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"cl" wrote in message
.verio.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mel A. Nomah wrote:
"Hamguy" wrote in message

[...]

Yes indeed....basically laziness.

I have been thinking back to the late 50/early 60s when I started on my trek
down Morse Code lane.

You know what THE MAIN reason was that I learned it? Because I was curious
as to what all those beeps and bops were saying that I was hearing on my
Zenith.

And it has been a blast ever since.

Look at it this way......how many people do you know that can talk with
their fingers?

Dan/W4NTI

Old April 17th 05, 07:53 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"cl" wrote in message
.verio.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mel A. Nomah wrote:
"Hamguy" wrote in message

[...]

Anyone who can type a message on a keyboard?
--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old April 17th 05, 08:54 PM
cl

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"cl" wrote in message
.verio.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mel A. Nomah wrote:
"Hamguy" wrote in message

[...]

Speaking of keyboards, that is a perfect example. MANY who are online now -
otherwise would never know how to type. BUT to own a computer and/or get
online, they "had" to learn - OR - at least they're in the process of
learning. It becomes "automatic" after so many hours of use. Same with
code.... All it takes is the application of it. Sure, just in computers,
many may not become proficient in computer programming, etc (just like not
"wanting" to use the code), but they're still learning at some point along
the way.

cl

Old April 17th 05, 09:22 PM
robert casey

The biggest problem with most is "laziness". Maybe you never
will use it again. There are many things you learn in life and may never use
again, unless you plan to play on Jeopardy. Many people learned the skeletal
system in health class, microorganisms in Biology class. It doesn't mean
they use it now. Probably forgot it as soon as they graduated.

Guess that explains Creationism. They either forgot or just
never did get biology class. And get upset when science
contradicts a trivial off topic section of the Bible.
But there is hope that some people will "get it" and
be able to do something with it. Of course the school
or FCC has to pick and choose what the kids should try
to learn. Spending less time on European medieval kings and
more on Vietnam would make sense, as modern governments are
no longer kings sitting around in castles getting bored
and deciding to have wars for the fun of it. Well, today kings
are called "dictators" anyway. Now to bring this back to
ham radio, is requiring code worth the time prospective
hams would have to spend on it, or maybe more theory should
be asked for today?

I seriously doubt that the FCC would increase code speed for
extras. The medical wavier issue would crop up again, and
the FCC found that to be a PITA. Besides it would be hard
for the FCC to tell old extras from newer extras as IIRC they
didn't keep track of who was who as old extras came up for
renewal.
Old April 17th 05, 11:19 PM
cl

"robert casey" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

I'm not so sure "more" theory is the answer either. Used to be, you HAD to
know electronics when you went for the exams. NO ONE told you what was on
the exams. Then some lazy ******* got some political pull and they started
to dumb down the theory and put "ALL" possible questions and answers in a
book - for someone to read and recall. That isn't teaching anyone -
anything. Any idiot can learn that way, to the extent needed. It doesn't do
anything to reinforce it in their heads as to what to do with it after. IF
they make it more theory, then they'll just make the "idiot" books cover it,
and again, you'll have a bunch of people who learned A, B, C or D, not the
real meat and potatoes of Electronics. I've seen them come away and not know
what a fuse does or some of simplest of schematic symbols they "should"
know. Give me a break. Those books today teach them NOTHING. They're nothing
more than the sugar coating of it all. Just enough to get by and HOPE they
plan to pursue it further on their own, which MOST - DO NOT. Again, due to
LAZINESS.

You're right about the History though, not to lay so much on the past, but
work on current affairs. Past is good, but often TOO much time is spent on
it. That stuff is building blocks to some extent, history does have a
propensity to repeat itself, so you can't "ignore" it as a whole, but
spending say a week learning about King Arthur just doesn't get it. I recall
our teacher trying to drill **** in our heads about Genghis Khan (sp?). I
could give a **** less what he did. What I DID come to ignore and have a
need for later in life, was that stuff covered in Health class. I ended up
using it a few years out of school.
I wished then I had paid more attention to it. So, I had to "relearn" most
of it. Some things DO have their uses.

As to code, actually, it isn't so bad to know - really. Think about it. You
have sign language for deaf. IF you plan to talk to a person who is deaf,
you better learn it real fast. If you plan to travel - you may need to learn
some foreign language, even though most can speak English now. Code "can"
have benefits. We had 9 miners trapped about a year ago. They communicated
that there were nine, by 9 raps on the pole stuck in the ground. Had someone
in the ground and above ground knew code, a more detailed description could
have been issued. It could have helped. Before they got the elevator in to
get them, they had no idea what "physical" shape the guys were in or any
pending dangers under the ground. Maybe you won't use code again once
learned, but at some point, it may save a life with the user's intervention.
If you're in an auto accident, down in a gully, you have a radio. The mic is
broken, so you can't talk. You could key the radio with a key or something
and send a message. Hopefully someone knowing code would hear it and be able
to let others know. There are many reasons people can give to "not" learn
code, but there are just as many as to it's benefits. If it saves only one
life, it is worth it.

cl

Old April 18th 05, 01:19 AM
Mike Andrews

In . net (rec.radio.amateur.misc), Dan/W4NTI wrote:

You know what THE MAIN reason was that I learned it? Because I was curious
as to what all those beeps and bops were saying that I was hearing on my
Zenith.

And it has been a blast ever since.

Look at it this way......how many people do you know that can talk with
their fingers?

A few hundred, myself: consider the people who use American Sign Language,
for one set, plus all the folks who fingerspell, those who use Signed
English, and so on. Not all of 'em are deaf, either: I promised my wife I
would learn ASL if she passed Element 1. I'm getting a head start in my
promise, because she's doing very well -- and she's working full-time and
just a Master's in Education.

Sleep? What's that?

--
1 Bryant (B) = 4577 books; 1 Ha'bryant = 2289 books
1 Sitter (or Room) = 1104 books; 1 Dinky = 161 books
Old April 18th 05, 02:39 AM
bb

cl wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Mel A. Nomah wrote:
"Hamguy" wrote in message

[...]

Similarly, those who promote Morse Code will latch on to any idea, no
matter how wrong, to claim the Code Exam remains valid.

You're right, it will take a while, even if
they were to decide to write a NPRM to do such. If these people

jumped into
Alligator infested waters as fast as they do rumors, the population

would
take a sudden drop. I'm not a "lover" of code, but I have hold a

license
which required code.

Ditto.

5 WPM is not impossible to learn. It only takes a few
minutes a day and about 2 weeks at least to get enough to pass a

test. 2
weeks is not long,

It may be impossible for some. I learned it over a considerably longer
period of time with frequent practice.

you probably drove longer on a permit before being
allowed to drive on your own. Probably studied the book longer too!

It takes
little effort.

I disagree. It took a great effort.

The biggest problem with most is "laziness".

Was that your problem? If you hadn't been so lazy you could have
learned the code in under a week?

Maybe you never
will use it again.

Perhaps. I've found little use for it so far. Maybe once I'm an old
fart, have loads of time, and wax nostalgic for things that never were,
I'll take it up and enjoy it, and demand that all learn it.

There are many things you learn in life and may never use
again, unless you plan to play on Jeopardy. Many people learned the

skeletal
system in health class, microorganisms in Biology class. It doesn't

mean
they use it now. Probably forgot it as soon as they graduated. But,

it was
"required". It's not a big deal people. Once you get past the "do I

have to"
and start doing it, you'll amaze yourself at how fast and easy it can

be.

Indeed. I never had the "do I have to?" attitude as there was no
code-free license when I became a ham. Yet it took me about 9 weeks of
daily practice.

DO use code now and then, but not daily like many others do. Everyone

has
their own thing. Some are into Packet, RTTY, AMTOR, etc, I'm not...

To each
his own. But we all had to learn "something" about those modes to

pass an
exam.

cl

Use it all you want. I'm against the Code Exam as an unnecessary
government requirement.