Old June 28th 05, 12:06 AM
Mike Coslo

Default Field day article

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/dailytimes/11993917.htm

They had a pretty nice article. There was one error in that I was
explaining how the digital station worked, not actually using it. It's a
small point - but I want to mention it because it was the GOTA station,
and I was the control op.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old June 28th 05, 12:25 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/dailytimes/11993917.htm

They had a pretty nice article. There was one error in that I was
explaining how the digital station worked, not actually using it. It's a
small point - but I want to mention it because it was the GOTA station,
and I was the control op.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Good show Mike. My local club, The Calhoun County Emergency Radio Club
had a nice field day in a park, lots of publicity. Down the road the
Calhoun County Amateur Radio Association had their own FD and had good
publicity and public officials come by. My group managed 454 qso's 3A AL.

I came home and passed out a couple hundred qso's on CW myself 1D AL.

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 28th 05, 12:59 AM
Mike Coslo

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/dailytimes/11993917.htm

They had a pretty nice article. There was one error in that I was
explaining how the digital station worked, not actually using it. It's a
small point - but I want to mention it because it was the GOTA station,
and I was the control op.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Good show Mike. My local club, The Calhoun County Emergency Radio Club
had a nice field day in a park, lots of publicity.

We've been working hard to get the word out, and it seems to be
working. One thing I've discovered is that you can connect with the
folks with the computer, because that symbolizes something to them, (and
heck, I just plain like the soundcard modes) then you move them to
voice, and finally take them on the tour of the CW station. Once they
understand the other modes, the simplicity and elegance of CW isn't lost
on them.

Down the road the
Calhoun County Amateur Radio Association had their own FD and had good
publicity and public officials come by. My group managed 454 qso's 3A AL.

Didn't get ours complied yet. Our phone station had a problem around
1:30 a.m. Sunday morning. The G and H keys stopped working. Fortunately
we didn't lose any data, but we have to double check everything.

I came home and passed out a couple hundred qso's on CW myself 1D AL.

A good chance we logged ya.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old June 28th 05, 11:12 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote
A good chance we logged ya.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Could be....I'll check. The good thing was we had a LOT of folks watching
as we hit the C W mode. That really did impress those that don't.
Licensed or not.. hi.

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 29th 05, 12:28 AM
robert casey

Mike Coslo wrote:

They had a pretty nice article.

The local rag had an article on our local club as well.
The paper had a picture of the guy who was the ARRL
section rep at a table with the transceivers and linears.
There was some grumbling on the local repeater about
that.... But there's always these small ****ing contests
in any area....

Old June 29th 05, 01:45 AM
Mike Coslo

robert casey wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:

They had a pretty nice article.

The local rag had an article on our local club as well.

We've had a good relationship with the local press. Always make a press
release (often two - one several weeks before the event, and one the
week before) And we always greet them warmly and give them a good tour.
If we make it a pleasant experience, they are more likely to come back.
I know that sounds strange when talking about reporters - but not all
are investigative reporters. Those doing local and human interest are
usually looking for something good to write.

The paper had a picture of the guy who was the ARRL
section rep at a table with the transceivers and linears.
There was some grumbling on the local repeater about
that.... But there's always these small ****ing contests
in any area....

Hehe. I can just imagine. But that is how news stories work out. We
don't have much control over the situation. Who knows what makes them
choose the pictures they print...

- Mike KB3EIA -