Old July 3rd 05, 06:06 PM
KØHB

Default K1MAN cuts a deal

From: ARRA [mailto Sent: Friday, July 1, 2005, 4:01 AM
To: All Radio Amateurs ]
Subject: Important Organizational Announcement

ARRA Founder Glen Baxter cuts a deal with Washington

Belgrade Lks, Maine., July 1, 2005 - In a surprise deal, ARRA Founder K1MAN and
FCC legal representatives at Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe, announced today that all
charges and NAL pending against K1MAN would be dropped contingent on a merger
agreement between ARRA and ARRL. Under the proposed arrangement, ARRL would
acquire the American Amateur Radio Association (ARRA), a leading provider of
Amateur Information Bulletin Services. The deal would unite the two most
prominent Amateur Radio organizations in the United States. Financial terms of
the proposed acquisition have not been finalized.

"The acquisition of ARRA complements ARRL's already extensive offerings to
include up-to-the-minute information and interactive discussion on what is
happening in the world of Amateur Radio," said Jim Haynie, W5JBP, president
of ARRL. "Together, we will be more effective in taking on some of the
challenges facing Amateur Radio, such as BPL and Spectrum Defense. This
brings us one step closer to being the national membership association for
Amateur Radio operators."

The acquisition also brings the strong leadership skills of Glenn Baxter,
K1MAN, to the ARRL organization. Baxter has been named ARRL Third Vice
President in the move. "Mr. Baxter is a welcome addition to our management
team here at ARRL," said David Sumner, K1ZZ, and ARRL Chief Executive
Officer. "I look forward to his fresh perspectives and enthusiastic
approach to running a service organization like the ARRL."

"Water under the bridge," said Glenn Baxter of ARRA about past frictions
between the two organizations. "Today marks a new beginning for all of us.
We're in this together now." Plans for collocating Mr. Baxter and Mr. Sumner
in adjoining offices at ARRL headquarters are currently underway.

In an official statement, Mr. Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, FCC Legal Advisor
for Enforcement added, "Over the years, Glenn and I have become very close.
I look forward to continuing our professional relationship as he assumes his
new position."

In an effort to accelerate the shift to its new on-the-air image, ARRL has
already filed the paperwork necessary to make W1MAN the official call sign
of the combined organization. Joe Carcia, NJ1Q, ARRL station manager was
thrilled with the change, saying, "What a creative way to reflect our
traditional roots while also letting our bold, new face shine through!"
Broadcast operations at the facilities of ex-W1AW will be shutdown
immediately. ARRA's state-of-the-art studios in Belgrade Lakes, ME will
become the new source of all ARRL transmissions.

Amateur Radio insiders applauded the move. "These are interesting times for
Amateur Radio," said Gordon West, WB6NOA. "I sense a likely shift in the
ARRL views on many areas of the service. I think we'll be feeling the
positive impact of this merger for years to come."

"This is big . . . really big," said Joe Walsh, WB6ACU, lead guitar player
for the Eagles. It's exactly the kind of thing that will send our ticket
sales through the roof. With Glenn on vocals, and Sumner on drums . . .
this tour season will be our best since '73"

Audio aficionado and Amateur Radio entrepreneur Bob Heil, K9EID, also
supported the move. "This is a good thing for Heil, and it's about time
these guys got together", said Mr. Heil. "We are already working on a
special commemorative W1MAN microphone to honor the event."

ARRL was founded in May 1914 by Percy Maxim, a leading Hartford,
Connecticut, inventor and industrialist. Today ARRL, with approximately
152,000 members, is the largest not-for-profit organization of radio
amateurs in the United States.

Web links:

http://www.arrl.org
http://www.k1man.com
http://www.joewalsh.com
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/Ima...Lab-One.sm.jpg
http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/Ima...-Jeff-Beck.jpg

Old July 3rd 05, 11:34 PM

From: ARRA [mailto Sent: Friday, July 1, 2005, 4:01 AM

Shouldn't that be April 1?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old July 4th 05, 12:33 AM
Dave Heil

From: ARRA [mailto Sent: Friday, July 1, 2005, 4:01 AM
To: All Radio Amateurs ]

[...]

Hans,

Did you ever write for "Gearvakf" (the "f" is silent)?

Dave K8MN
Old July 4th 05, 12:51 AM
Jim Hampton

link.net...
From: ARRA [mailto Sent: Friday, July 1, 2005, 4:01 AM
To: All Radio Amateurs ]

[...]

Hello, Hans

So when are we going to have some leading freebanders join the ARRL as an
executive vice president (or should I say, president of vice)?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old July 4th 05, 01:39 AM
Diego Nunez

link.net...
From: ARRA [mailto Sent: Friday,

//////drivel flushed//////

This is not the Legion Hall Hans! You don't have to keep telling
the same Radio Hero story over and over to the boys.

Old July 4th 05, 05:53 AM
KØHB

"Dave Heil" wrote

Hans,

Did you ever write for "Gearvakf" (the "f" is silent)?

No, and I really admired some of the work that was on that site. Especially the
one about the explosion of 2-meters.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old July 4th 05, 06:29 PM
KØHB

"Dave Heil" wrote

Did you ever write for "Gearvakf" (the "f" is silent)?

Here's another of my favorites from Gearvakf, written by WA6ITF of WestLink

GEARVAKf Research Basis of No-Code Tape
---------------------------------------

Turlock, California-- April 32, 1989 - In a surprise announcement that has
completely rocked the foundation of the educational community, the Wet-Link
C.B. Radio Network has prematurely introduced a new "No-Code CW Training Tape
Cassette' which was developed using lack of research material supplied by the
world famous Gorbinsky Learning and Forgetting Center of Ohio.

This GEARVAKf-sponsored facility is the hub of the GEARVAKf-funded
research into "things."

In a 1955 report authored two decades before the center was opened, it's
former Director of Research Into Things, Dr. R. U. Kidding, PhD. (phud), posed
the question: "Why is the sky blue and what does this have to do with learning
morse code?"

Using grant monies provided by the GEARVAKf Grant Monies Institute to
Research Things, Dr. Kidding attempted to contact the late Samuel F.B. Morse
to ascertain the answer. By 1966, Dr. Kidding had discovered that Morse had
been dead for several decades and therefore was not a plausable source for
garnering his information.

While Dr. Kidding never did learn why the sky is blue, his 1979 paper
titled "To Code or Not to Code--Is That a Question?" went unnoticed by the
communications community for almost two decades, mainly because it as written
in a VIC-20 computer, printed in 23-letter columns, and looked like a grocery
list. The paper was resurrected about four days ago by the production staff
at Wet-Link C.B. Radio as an excuse to put out a useless tape cassette to
teach people No-Code at 0 WPM. Hosted by Niles East, the cassette is designed
to instruct the listener and impart enough knowledge so that he or she can
pass the Morse Code portion of the FCC No-Code ham radio exam.

Since nobody in their right or left mind would buy such trash, the only way
to get one is at the WESTLINK REPORT/220 NOTES booth at the 1989
AmateurRadioVention in Dayton, Ohio. The tapes are almost for free, but not
quite. GEARVAKf members are advised to show their lack of ID cards while non-
members need not.

-- WA6ITF

Old July 5th 05, 03:26 AM
Han's Buddy

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
Hello, Hans

So when are we going to have some leading freebanders join the ARRL as an
executive vice president (or should I say, president of vice)?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

So how long have you been a K0HB sycophant?