Old August 1st 05, 04:46 PM
John Smith

Dave:

With enlightenment comes freedom...

Freedom to exchange data without restriction is a tool all educated peoples
would seek.

How some can argue that placing limits and short comings on the internet is
some kind of "enlightenment" is beyond logic, the two conflicting concepts are
ironic to attempt to even fit together...

"A picture is worth 10,000 words" has always been accurate--it still stands
today." Individuals who would argue to "blind" us to that wisdom and call it
"enlightenment" are either sorely mistaken and confused, or do so for other
purposes not well understood by those questing true knowledge and
enlightenment.

Newsgroups are just a 7 bit data forum, methods exist to fit 8 bit data in such
a forum...

Don't open posts with encoded binary if it is some kind of threat to you. That
is your option...

John

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
nk.net...
John Smith wrote:
Dave:

Nothing wrong with moderate use of uuencoding in newsgroup, end of story!

That isn't true, "John". It isn't the end of the story. You really need to
check out the facts before you make such statements.

Go control freak on 160-80-75-etc... your false information is NOT welcome
here...

"Here" meaning where your computer happens to sit? It seems odd that you
view someone who attempts to enlighten you as a "control freak" I'm not
required to go anywhere, especially when the order is issued by some
anonymous fellow who may or may not even be a radio amateur.

that is what ham radio has become, it has no place here on the
internet...

Amateur radio is about control freaking on 160-80-75-etc ? I don't believe
you.

John

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
link.net...

John Smith wrote:

Excellent, in the future I shall post a uuencoded test pic, tell me what
the picture depicts and we will come up with some sort of fitting prize,
perhaps a free URL to a website on hawaii!

"John":

I'm amazed that you are seemingly unaware that almost every e-mail program
on the market decodes UUE automatically. The fact is, you shouldn't be
doing so in a text newsgroup.

Dave K8MN

Old August 1st 05, 09:31 PM
John Smythe

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:46:28 -0700, John Smith wrote:
Dave:

With enlightenment comes freedom...

Indeed.

Freedom to exchange data without restriction is a tool all educated peoples
would seek.

But we use shared resources provided by others. Restrictions are
essential if the resources are to be successfully shared

How some can argue that placing limits and short comings on the internet is
some kind of "enlightenment" is beyond logic, the two conflicting concepts are
ironic to attempt to even fit together...

Ah, but there is no such thing as an Internet without limits. You are
living in a make-believe world if you think so.

Newsgroups are just a 7 bit data forum, methods exist to fit 8 bit data in such
a forum...

Clue: Usenet is *not* the Internet. Repeat that to yourself 100 times.

Don't open posts with encoded binary if it is some kind of threat to you. That
is your option...

The people who make their servers available to carry Usenet are the
ones who are making the rules. If their rules are violated, they
either block the originating site from their collective servers
(Usenet death penalty), or they retroactively cancel the posts of an
offending individual (spam canceling, based on the BI of a post, for
example). Others, such as groups.google.com, simply don't allow
binary posts on their servers in the first place.

So, John, it is the option of the people who own the servers to cancel
or block your posts, and there's nothing you or Dave can do to change
that. If you want to know what the server owners are thinking, go to
the newsgroup 'news.answers' - a group that a newbie like yourself
should read before continuing to make a fool of yourself on Usenet.
In news.answers you will find one or more FAQs which outline the
reasons that binaries in non-binary news groups are not allowed.

Again: Usenet is not the Internet. And Usenet is not a democracy.
Old August 1st 05, 09:57 PM
John Smith

John:

Ahhh, see, they blocked it!

Gee, who would have ever thought!

John

"John Smith" wrote in message
John:

I suppose server owners can block anything they would like, it is america.
Also, they can remove any uuencoding--if they choose, if you notice, there
are massive binary news groups on usenet, they don't have a problem with
uuencoding...

But, let us examine a little uuencoded example file to see just what the
danger is, it follows:

----- cut below this line -----
section 1 of uuencode 5.24 of file balun2.jpg by R.E.M.

----- cut above this line

Anyone who can use uudecode, or has a newsreader which decodes automatically
can view it, it is a hand drawn schematic of a balun.

Warmest regards,
John

Old August 1st 05, 10:00 PM
Dave Heil

John Smith wrote:
Paul:

I realize YOU wish to see binary banned, I realize YOU are NOT alone...

That's a pretty good leap, "John". I didn't see anything about binaries
being banned. There are binary newsgroups for everything.

I think you can probably come up with a lot of reasons YOU think they should be
banned--and are good enough, but, freedom of exchange over-rides anything you
can come up with! end of story...

I saw nothing advocating the banning of binaries. Your "freedom of
exchange" is intact and your "right" to post binaries in text newsgroups
overrides nothing.

But, they are not good enough reasons to block the exchange of ideas, there is
no "gentleman's agreement", there is a bunch of cheap-shot idiots like you
attempting to push your control on the mindless.

The exchange of binary "ideas" is carried out daily, in the tens of
thousands--in the *binary* newsgroups.

You think if you argue long enough and hard enough you may pull the wool over
the simple minded masses eyes.

Some of the simple-minded masses seem to have plenty of eye wool already.

This is the internet, it was founded on the idea of free, un-hindered exchange
of information and data--you are best suited for the amateur bands where the
common mode is to suppress freedoms through regulations--GO HOME, DO NOT DARKEN
OUR DOORSTEPS!!!

We'd have to know who you are and where you live before we could
approach your doorstep, "John".

Dave K8MN
Old August 1st 05, 10:20 PM
John Smith

Dave:

Look, this conversation has went on long enough, believe as you choose...
others can do the same...

John

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
k.net...