Old August 3rd 05, 03:19 AM
b.b.

Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote:
From: an old friend on Aug 2, 9:01 am

Michael Coslo wrote:

an old friend wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:

an_old_friend wrote:

John Smith wrote:

The RF isn't ionizing radiation, so it wouldn't mutate any cells,
giving rise to evolvement.

I hear the jury is out out on mutagenc effects

Not really, Mark. It's just that a couple dozen research
facilities have NOT YET uncovered anything harmful in low-
level radiation in at least 3 decades of study on the
subject.

But the idea of holding 5 or more watts if UHF RF against my temple is
a scary one.

you Have a 440 HT?

and you are afraid of it?

It's a SOCIAL STIGMA fear, Mark. No "real" ham is supposed to
have a "shack on the belt" sort of radio.

If a PCTA is seen by other PCTAs using a handheld, he is subject
to immediate excommunication. No one is allowed to beep to him
again.

I have two handhelds myself.

K3LT and his hanger's on would not approve. You might have to let the
door hit you...

Related item. I was on vacation last weekend, and a couple weekends
before that. I was very nearly killed several times by cell phone users
who nearly rear-ended me, were engaged in some sort of animated
argument, and nearly side swiped me, or just generally drove like a
complete idiot.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Did Mike get a Warrant for their arrest? Attempted
manslaughter is felony in most states.

Felonius Monk was one of the drivers..

Was he wearing a collar?

Seeing as how truck drivers and Hams have been using radios for years
and years with out (apparently) nasty incidents, I wonder if exposure to
the near field of near GHz radiation makes people temporarily stupid.

No, some hams are naturally stupid.

Tsk, tsk. The strongest effect on human tissue of RF radiation is
in the low-VHF spectrum. That is much reduced above 300 MHz and
on up...

hmmm, a number of Hams think that the "takeoff angle of an antenna is
where all the energy goes too.

I wonder where I got the idea that freq's ~2.45 GHz had some effect on
tissue?

Litton Industries? Amana Radarrange?

I believe that we need to treat people who drive and use cell phones in
the same manner that we treat people who drive intoxicated. Proof that
an intelligent person can be made stupid by a cell phone would go a long
way in that direction.

There is considerably more "proof" that ham radio makes supposedly
intelligent persons go stupid just from all the comments in here...

Apparently.

Where's Quitefine when you need a perfectly anonymous comment?

Old August 3rd 05, 04:03 AM
K4YZ

b.b. wrote:

Where's Quitefine when you need a perfectly anonymous comment?

Where's the scoop on unlicensed devices having a "major role" in
emergency communications?

Where did you get "ARES won't respond in an emergency" from?

Who gave you permission to operate from a UN controlled zone?

Steve, K4YZ

Old August 3rd 05, 06:17 PM
an_old_friend

K4YZ wrote:
b.b. wrote:

Where's Quitefine when you need a perfectly anonymous comment?

Where's the scoop on unlicensed devices having a "major role" in
emergency communications?

phone are unlicensed CB and FRS are unlicensed cell phones are licensed
to their users all play major roles in emergencies

Where did you get "ARES won't respond in an emergency" from?

round here Ares can't effectively respond, hopefully the completion of
certain building projects will fix that

Old August 4th 05, 01:11 AM
b.b.

K4YZ wrote:
b.b. wrote:

Where's Quitefine when you need a perfectly anonymous comment?

Where's the scoop on unlicensed devices having a "major role" in
emergency communications?

Where's those 7 hostile actions?

Where did you get "ARES won't respond in an emergency" from?

Where's that "A" NCOIC letter of appointment?

Who gave you permission to operate from a UN controlled zone?

Where's that disability check going?