Old October 31st 05, 03:44 AM

Default A Quote from Len

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:42:18 +0000, Iitoi
wrote:

Dee Flint Wrote:

I believe that his point was that on the non-voice modes, you cannot
tell
whether someone is male or female or whether they are young or old. So
that
there is less chance of them being discriminated against or harassed
by
those who think women or young people should not be on the radio.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Is there a large percentage (or even a measurable fraction) of hams
"who think women or young people should not be on the radio"?

I think you have to go back several decades to the legendary W2OY (with
aplologies to the current holder) to find a single visible example of
that attitude.

As a member of multiple minority groups (Native American, Hispanic
surname, non-Christian religion) I'm sensitive to discrimination and
harrassment issues. My long and enthusiastic association with amateur
radio is in large part due to my complete acceptance within the hobby
without any regard to my ethnic roots, skin color, or religion.
Neither have I seen anything but complete acceptance of young people
and those of the fairer gender in the hobby. If the general population
were as tolerant of diversity as I've found the ham hobbiests to be,
this would certainly be a nicer place to live.

Thus N2EY's suggestion (if that's really his point as you surmise) that
young people and females would do well to mask themselves behind
keys/keyboards to avoid unpleasantness is ludicrous on it's face, and
might be construed as a projection of an unrevealed agenda of his own.

his point has its place. I know from my ownexperences since my voice
sounds female and some get rather irate finding out I am male I
certainly prefer non voice mode myself FSATV esp

The Man in the Maze
QRV at Baboquivari Peak, AZ

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old October 31st 05, 04:22 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
his point has its place. I know from my ownexperences since my voice sounds female and some get rather irate finding out I am male
That seems exactly counter to his "point". His point (as interpreted by N8UZE) is that females and children are subject to discrimination and should anonomize themselves by avoiding voice operation.

Your point seems to be that you are accepted on the air when you are presumed to be female, but discriminated against when it is discovered your gender is male.

The Man in the Maze
QRV at Baboquivari Peak, AZ
Old October 31st 05, 09:15 PM

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:22:33 +0000, Iitoi
wrote:

Wrote:
his point has its place. I know from my ownexperences since my voice
sounds female and some get rather irate finding out I am male

That seems exactly counter to his "point". His point (as interpreted
by N8UZE) is that females and children are subject to discrimination
and should anonomize themselves by avoiding voice operation.

Your point seems to be that you are accepted on the air when you are
presumed to be female, but discriminated against when it is discovered
your gender is male.

not accepted but rather shall we say sought after a few of the guys
have proposed Marriage to me and other anoying stunts then get
reaaallllly ****ed to find I am male

Old November 1st 05, 04:12 AM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by

not accepted but rather shall we say sought after a few of the guys
have proposed Marriage to me
Is this fool real?

The Man in the Maze
QRV at Baboquivari Peak, AZ
Old November 1st 05, 09:27 AM

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 04:12:51 +0000, Iitoi
wrote:

Wrote:

not accepted but rather shall we say sought after a few of the guys
have proposed Marriage to me

Is this fool real?

interesting that you ask after also start a thread titled

Mark bough a new wris****ch