Old May 22nd 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Murray Neece

Default ARS License Numbers and idiots galore

I love it!! You guys will never change. Glad you got to see me..73 and
all that. K5MDM Murray
Old May 22nd 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default ARS License Numbers

I asked around and found this practice is far from rare; I'm not sure
"common" is the right word, though.

You really need to type if you run cw over about 60wpm
or so.. That was about my limit as far as sending fairly clean
with a paddle. I never liked to type, so 55-60 wpm pretty much was
the limit for me. Most all the high speed people used a keyboard
to send. But I'd say the majority listened with their ears instead
of using a reader. The brain is a better reader than most puter CW
programs. Most don't handle noise very well. Once I hit 55-60 wpm
on a paddle, I was stretching the limits. Past that, and it was pretty
dang ugly... Slopsville. The keyboards could kick back and type
about any CW speed with perfect sending. A decent typist can go
over 100 wpm+.
MK

Old May 24th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Roger

On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:30:37 -0400, "Lloyd"
wrote:

Which "Roger" are you?

The K8RI Roger.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 20 May 2006 15:15:39 -0700, "Sal M. Onella"

snip
Old May 24th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Roger

On 21 May 2006 23:36:10 -0700, wrote:

I asked around and found this practice is far from rare; I'm not sure
"common" is the right word, though.

You really need to type if you run cw over about 60wpm

There aren't many who can type 60 wpm, but then again, maybe most of
them are on high speed CW. :-))

or so.. That was about my limit as far as sending fairly clean
with a paddle. I never liked to type, so 55-60 wpm pretty much was

I "touch type" and back when I was a grad student could type a bit
over 60. Now days I have to make too many corrections to maintain
that.

the limit for me. Most all the high speed people used a keyboard
to send. But I'd say the majority listened with their ears instead
of using a reader. The brain is a better reader than most puter CW

Once you reach the point of copying subconsciously it's just like
talking.

programs. Most don't handle noise very well. Once I hit 55-60 wpm
on a paddle, I was stretching the limits. Past that, and it was pretty

I made 40 but never higher than that. OTOH back then I was spending
one to two hours a day on CW.

dang ugly... Slopsville. The keyboards could kick back and type
about any CW speed with perfect sending. A decent typist can go
over 100 wpm+.

There are few people who can type that fast. However on CW you type
your response while listening to the other station so the transmission
speed can be well above your typing speed.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I've met
in school and industry who could even approach that 100 wpm.
The old electric portables used to jam the keys at much over 60 while
the "selectric" could go a fair amount faster. When in college my
daughter wore out one of those and she could out type it.

I shouldn't count the college classes when I was a GA teaching the
intro to CS, out of 195 students I only had about 10 that could type
and none that could keep up with me.

Unfortunately, age is catching up and I've had to slow down with the
keyer and I'm not nearly as fast with the keyboard as I was. I can
probably still type at 40 wpm after mistakes are taken out. 60 if I
don't go back and correct.

Old May 25th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Tom Ring

Roger wrote:

There are few people who can type that fast. However on CW you type
your response while listening to the other station so the transmission
speed can be well above your typing speed.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I've met
in school and industry who could even approach that 100 wpm.
The old electric portables used to jam the keys at much over 60 while
the "selectric" could go a fair amount faster. When in college my
daughter wore out one of those and she could out type it.

My father was NY state champ at over 100 wpm on a manual typewriter in
about 1940. I always figured Bucky the milkman must have been my real
father, since I was at 15 wpm before typing class, and 12 after a year
of it. I still type with 4 fingers, and have to use my eyes to figure
where they should go. And I have typed for a living for the last 30+
years.

tom
K0TAR
Old May 26th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Roger

On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:29:28 -0500, Tom Ring
wrote:

Roger wrote:

[...]

If I have to look at the keyboard I'm in trouble. My fingers know
where the keys are, but I don't. :-)) If I'm on the telephone and
taking notes it'd be faster to use a pencil. OTOH I can at least read
my typing.

I was net control for a weather watch net with tornado warnings out
all around us (Lower Michigan). When I did the summary after the net I
realized I need a head set with VOX built in so I can have both hands
free.

When I was a kid I bought a typing book, borrowed an old mechanical
type writer and taught myself. It really didn't take all that long.
I'd guess It took about the same time to get to 60 WPM on a mill as it
did 20 on a key.

My wife remarked that having worked in clerical and administration for
the state she knew a number of people who could type 100 WPM. I asked
if that was mistake free as corrections take time. It turned out they
were considerably slower when mistakes were taken into account. OTOH
when I was a sysadmin for a large corporation one of the system admins
could type so fast the keyboard buzzed. You could watch the
characters flow across the screen and in both directions. If he made
a mistake it might take him two words to recognize it, go back and
retype. I think he still was making over 100 WPM.

Old May 26th 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Roger wrote:
I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I've met
in school and industry who could even approach that 100 wpm.
The old electric portables used to jam the keys at much over 60 while
the "selectric" could go a fair amount faster. When in college my
daughter wore out one of those and she could out type it.

My wife and son can both type, error free at about that rate. I took
a typing course in the summer when I was in high school and passed the
10wpm error free test. I think in my case it was 10wpm and at least one
word error free :-)

My first wife's sister was able to type faster than an IBM selectric typewriter
(165wpm) error free. She won awards and contests for it.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old May 26th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,ba.broadcast
Roger

Roger is posting again. Will the same person who told him to
stop posting last time kindly tell him to stop posting again.

Old May 26th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap,ba.broadcast
Lloyd

Stop posting to our group Roger.