Old August 14th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

I wish everybody here would use their MENSA and take this thread and the
other non swap related garbage out of rec.radio.swap.

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Rusty Shackleford wrote:
1. Is the ability to decode Morse Code transmissions, in one's own wet

modem
(brain), at high speed, proportional or even relevant in any possible

way to
one's ability to pass a mensa test and be accepted for membership? Is

mensa
membership useful? Is mensa membership a measure of Morse wet modem
throughput?

Rusty, let me answer you this way. In my humble opinion, a MENSA
level IQ is worth magnitudes more to its possessor than is Morse
code skill even within the Amateur Radio Service. If all the coded
hams with IQ's less than 100 were transformed into nocode techs
with MENSA level IQ's, the ARS would be much better off and a lot
less prone to silliness. The ARRL might even stop publishing those
gross technical errors, e.g. reflections don't exist.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 14th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

David 01 wrote:
I wish everybody here would use their MENSA and take this thread and the
other non swap related garbage out of rec.radio.swap.

either use your ignore thread comnad if you don't have one just try not
reading it

Old August 14th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
L. L. is offline

"jawod" wrote in message ...

In the example YOU give - Cecil - it could be taken either way. In the
case of the "frequencies" you're to operate on for a given license and
band - YES - you could simply "memorize" (not really commit to memory)
those frequencies - for the exam purposes and just refer to a chart from
there in. OR you COULD "memorize" them (actually committing to memory)
for the purpose of NOT having to use a chart! However, once you use those
frequencies after a while - especially if active - then you "would" tend
to "memorize" (for life) those frequencies. Yes, it is definately
splitting hairs!

L.

that makes no sense. to memorize is to commit to memory, by definition.

RE-READ IT - there were TWO people here in the beginning "splitting hairs"
about the use of or perhaps MIS use of the word "memorization. One was
leaning towards "memorizing" "ANSWERS" purely to satisfy an exam....... i.e;
ABCD.......... it isn't quite that simple. On the other hand, the other
argument was in the "true" sense of the word - TO MEMORIZE (commit to memory
for life).

Old August 14th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

L. wrote:
"jawod" wrote in message ...

RE-READ IT - there were TWO people here in the beginning "splitting hairs"
about the use of or perhaps MIS use of the word "memorization. One was
leaning towards "memorizing" "ANSWERS" purely to satisfy an exam....... i.e;
ABCD.......... it isn't quite that simple. On the other hand, the other
argument was in the "true" sense of the word - TO MEMORIZE (commit to memory
for life).

what it has been about is that couple of folks want to make out that
somehow the NoCodeTechs are some how doing something altogether
different from what has been done for years

Old August 14th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
L. L. is offline

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
t...
jawod wrote:
If MENSA membership is important to you, fine. Most of us find it a bit
pretentious and downright silly.

Ditto for the Morse code testing requirement.
That was the whole point.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Let me set something straight. "I" was NOT beating my chest about "CODE". I
was only in the argument with regard to the use/misuse of the word
"Memorization". "I" think code has its place - but not as it once did. It
sure isn't keeping the bands clean by keeping it in place. "I" don't use
code - that often. I think also, it "can" be fun to learn for those who may
want to try it. Some people may - as has been proven, still - others won't -
which also has been proven. THAT IS MY stance on code. As to the
"mis"spelling of "genius", hey - what can I say - I'm human, I DO make
mistakes. I don't rely on "spell check" techniques - so ............ an
error does tend to sneak through from time to time. It doesn't matter one
iota to me if you do code or not. "I" surely am not here to pass judgement
on you or anyone else by that ability or inability (since some DO have
trouble getting it). OR lack of interest "may" be more specific. I have
quite a few people I talk to on the bands who are "NO CODE Techs. They're
not interested in the code - OR wanting to climb any higher in license
class. Its cool with me....... That is their thing - not mine. It sure
doesn't mean we can't have a decent conversation - be it on the air via
repeater, simplex, computer mode or face to face.

L.

Old August 14th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

jawod wrote:
If MENSA membership is important to you, fine. Most of us find it a bit
pretentious and downright silly.

Ditto for the Morse code testing requirement.
That was the whole point.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Let me set something straight. "I" was NOT beating my chest about "CODE

you are however enging a deabte flaming people on side of the map that
tend to get you "counter battery fire sir

face it or not as you choose

Old August 14th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

a MENSA
level IQ is worth magnitudes more to its possessor than is Morse
code skill even within the Amateur Radio Service. If all the coded
hams with IQ's less than 100 were transformed into nocode techs
with MENSA level IQ's, the ARS would be much better off and a lot
less prone to silliness. The ARRL might even stop publishing those
gross technical errors, e.g. reflections don't exist.

Cecil

you're trolling, aren't you?

If you truly believe this stuff, you're in sadder shape than I thought.

Your MENSA membership is dreck, dribble, dross. With code, there is, at
least, some grounding in practicality: a real world function.

"Whew! I knew I was a genius but now I have PROOF!" How completely sad.

MENSA has perverted the very nature of IQ in a manner not dissimilar to
the way Home Owner Associations have perverted the notion of individual
freedoms (guaranteed by our Constitution).

Enjoy your little trophy but I'm sure you'll keep yourself insulated
from the derision you richly deserve when you bring it up in this newsgroup.

I can tell that you're not a bad guy...but, the mensa thing makes you
seem, I don't know, ...(fill in the blank)

Be Good.
Hell, be more egalitarian for once in your life!
We all share a HOBBY!!!!

John
AB8O
Old August 14th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 12 Aug 2006 15:42:50 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

oncce you accpet that much of the testing involves memizztion the
question then comes down to where is your beef?

Those who memorize answers instead of learning concepts - what you
would have seen at the beginning of the thread had you paid attention.

you tread awfully close to libel there AL

Look up the definition of "libel". Part of it is "malicious
defamation". Calling a penny a cent isn't malicious, nor is it
defamatory.

ask an lawyer if you don't believe me

You need to take your own advice. Also you need to ask an English
teacher - you don't seem to know the definitions of a lot of very
common words.
Old August 14th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 12 Aug 2006 15:43:51 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 14:41:33 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:
There's a difference between memorizing a formula or method and memorizing
specific answers to specific questions. The former is called learning, and
can be applied to many situations. The latter is called laziness, and
teaches nothing that can be used for any other purpose.

That is just hair-splitting.

The same hair splitting as the difference between stealing money and
earning it - they're both methods of obtaining it.

again you tread close to libel and flatout insaity

There's nothing either malicious not defamatory in that. ("Who" am I
defaming? "Hair"?)

But, since you don't know the difference between "learning" and
"memorizing", nor which subjects fall into which category, you
probably can't see the parallel.

and again

Telling you something true about yourself isn't actionable, unless
done with certain intent, which you'd be hard-pressed to prove.