Old February 8th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default Need a very high-range antenna

Hello, I'm new to scanning, and I need a very high-range, roof-mount
antenna. The antenna will probably be going up over 30 feet, not
including the mast. I'd like to receive communications from a small
town over 78 miles away (as the crow flies), including mobiles. The
area I want to receive from has an elevation of 415 feet. I'm thinking
about getting the Scantenna, but I'm not quite sure it will do the job
for me. I've read great reviews about it, but I'm still not totally
sure. I'm stuck between Scantenna and the Grove Beam II (http://
www.grove-ent.com/BEAMII.html). My scanner receives 30-50MHz,
146-174MHz, and 416-512MHz.

Has anyone any experience with these two antennas? How far away can
you receive communications with them (and can you receive mobiles)?
I'd like to spend less than $60 for a good antenna. I'm just not sure
if the beam or the Scantenna would be better for my case.

Old February 9th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On 8 Feb 2007 15:44:03 -0800, "anonymous_c" wrote:

There are a few other things to take into question.

What frequency do you want to monitor?

What is the elevation of the town?

78 miles is really pushing it, even with a beam antenna.

I have a scantenna and it is a signal magnet!!! I have not had the
time to put it up on the roof yet. I have it mounted on the fence and
at best it is 6" high. I have copied VHF at 35 miles.

Later

Brian

Brian J. Rueger "Who dares wins"
Capt.(Ret)/Paramedic Hampton, VA.
B.S.Comm/I/Pilot MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199
Check out my personal home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Check out my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/member/skypilot
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
Old February 9th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Feb 8, 9:31 pm, Somewhere Nowhere wrote:
On 8 Feb 2007 15:44:03 -0800, "anonymous_c" wrote:

There are a few other things to take into question.

What frequency do you want to monitor?

The PD and FD I want to monitor isaround 45MHz. I'd like to monitor
the range of frequencies my scanner provides, also.

What is the elevation of the town?

Maybe 50 feet? I haven't moved to the area, yet.

78 miles is really pushing it, even with a beam antenna.

I've heard, however, people receiving from even 100 miles... I'd just
like to hear some other experiences.

Old February 13th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Ok, I need an antenna that performs equally well on VHF-lo and VHF-
hi... that's all I need. I've love to get the Scantenna, but I've
heard people say that it's performance is "so-so" on VHF lo. I need
great performance on both. A beam would probably be preferred.

Anyone have some resources where I can build my own antenna? I'm
wondering, however, if it would be better to purchase an antenna if I
need good performance on all of VHF-low (30-50Mhz) and VHF-hi
(148-174MHz).

Old February 14th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On 12 Feb 2007 17:18:53 -0800, "anonymous_c" wrote:

Ok, I need an antenna that performs equally well on VHF-lo and VHF-
hi... that's all I need. I've love to get the Scantenna, but I've
heard people say that it's performance is "so-so" on VHF lo. I need
great performance on both. A beam would probably be preferred.

Anyone have some resources where I can build my own antenna? I'm
wondering, however, if it would be better to purchase an antenna if I
need good performance on all of VHF-low (30-50Mhz) and VHF-hi
(148-174MHz).

forget about building it ....... it's too big and too complicated of
a job for what you want. better is to get a low band / high band TV
antenna ( channels 2 and up ) , the bigger the better and turn it
vertical for scanner use.. then get a suitable rotor and the
highest mast you can install , for any hope of success for the
distance you want to cover. a low noise stridsberg preamp and 50
ohm to 300 ohm balun are probably in the mix as well.

any serious multi element beam for 30 - 174 mhz and up is gonna be
a huge antenna . 12' to 16' long would be in the ball park for
all the freqs and distance you want . the antenna above is still
not large enough for perfect operation below 35 - 45 mhz or so .....
but more realistic than a dedicated 30 mhz 5 element beam.
( ie: 20' boom at 30 mhz )
http://www.cebik.com/a10/ant29.html

just my thoughts on your question ....

Loop Antennas / minijack works-clips don't / impedence?? [email protected] Shortwave 14 August 23rd 06 04:07 AM
Idine Ghoreishian -by- Idine Ghoreishian { The SPGC Antenna by RHF } RHF Shortwave 6 May 22nd 06 07:38 AM
Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 06:53 PM
Questions -?- Considering a 'small' Shortwave Listener's (SWLs) Antenna RHF Shortwave 1 January 24th 05 09:37 PM