Old August 10th 03, 04:11 AM
Frank Bals

Default BC780XLT vs. PRO-2006

How do these 2 units compare as far as sensitivity, dynamic range, and
intermod rejection? I have a 780XLT and like it very much, but I'm wondering
if I'm missing something by not having a PRO-2006....

Frank

Old August 10th 03, 11:08 AM
GeorgeF

You're not missing anything. Granted the PRO-2006 is probably the
worlds most famous scanner. In its time (over a decade ago) it was
state of the art. Today the only reason they're going for outragous
prices on eBay is simply because they can be modified for Cell Phones.

I have a PRO-2006, actually I had 2 but sold one, I couldn't resist the
$150 profit! I have 7 BC780's. The 780's have FAR better intermod
rejection and selectivity. Sensitivity is nearly the same. The
PRO-2006 is a very sensitive radio however intermodes can be a problem.

The PRO-2006 is very slow at scanning and searching when compared to the
780. Also I VERY useful feature of the 780 is during searches you can
lockout freqs which cause birdies, intermod or you already know of.
Very useful if you want to scan a large range and don't want to have to
hit the "search" button everytime the scanner comes back to that
frequency and stops. The PRO-2006 does not have tha feature and since I
do a lot of military searching that is a huge plus for me!

The PRO-2006 deserves its place in the Scanner Hall of Fame, its a
classic but that's all.... I feel the BC 780XLT is today what the
PRO-2006 was of 10 years ago. But what is really sad is that most
people won't agree with me simply because the 780 can't nor ever will
receive cell phones....I never seen the big excitement about cell phone
reception anyway....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Old August 10th 03, 05:29 PM
Woolridge

GeorgeF wrote in message news:3F361997.5040503@licensed4funREMOVEBEFOREFLI GHT.com...
But what is really sad is that most people won't agree with me simply

because the 780 can't nor ever will receive cell phones....I never
seen the big excitement about cell phone reception anyway....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

I've read around a few places on the web describing a mod that lets
you listen to cell phones on a lower band.
I belive it's in the 400mhz range.
Surely a scanner enthusiest such as yourself knows about this mod.
especially since you own SEVEN uniden bc780's!
Old August 10th 03, 05:46 PM
Dwayne

In article ,
says...
GeorgeF wrote in message news:3F361997.5040503@licensed4funREMOVEBEFOREFLI GHT.com...
But what is really sad is that most people won't agree with me simply

because the 780 can't nor ever will receive cell phones....I never
seen the big excitement about cell phone reception anyway....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

I've read around a few places on the web describing a mod that lets
you listen to cell phones on a lower band.
I belive it's in the 400mhz range.
Surely a scanner enthusiest such as yourself knows about this mod.
especially since you own SEVEN uniden bc780's!

There is a virtual downconverter mod for the 780 that allows you full
800MHz coverage. There is an article in the March 2002 Scanning USA
magazine that tells how to do it. You can get back issue of it from
there website.
--
Dwayne
Old August 10th 03, 10:36 PM
GeorgeF

I've read around a few places on the web describing a mod that lets
you listen to cell phones on a lower band.
I belive it's in the 400mhz range.
Surely a scanner enthusiest such as yourself knows about this mod.
especially since you own SEVEN uniden bc780's!

Yes I very well know of this mod but why in the heck do I want to
distroy a good scanner? Remember 99% of my listening is MilAir. The
780XLT cell phone mod puts cell phone trash right in the middle of the
band I really care about. I do care about Cell Phones!

The cell phone mod elimiates the IF rejection making cell phone images
appear in the 300-400 range.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Old August 10th 03, 11:36 PM
Dwayne

In article om,
says...

Yes I very well know of this mod but why in the heck do I want to
distroy a good scanner? Remember 99% of my listening is MilAir. The
780XLT cell phone mod puts cell phone trash right in the middle of the
band I really care about. I do care about Cell Phones!

The cell phone mod elimiates the IF rejection making cell phone images
appear in the 300-400 range.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

I thought you said there was no way to mod the 780 for cell. Thats the
only reason I posted about the artical. Anyway I agree with you on not
wanting to destroy your radio. Thats one of the reasons I didnt do the
mod to mine. By the way George where has your milair logs been? Kinda
missing them

--
Dwayne
Old August 11th 03, 03:40 PM
GeorgeF

400MHz?? Verizon runs a split digital system here in PA, i.e. 851MHz or
853MHz something is the transmit and 1.68GHz or 1.86GHz is the receive side
and after spending 30min looking for a mod that would let you listen to
cell on a 400MHz range we found nothing, notha nutin zip 0. Nor do we know
of any mod that would let you get a split digital single and convert it to
400MHz and convert the digital to analog so you could understand what folks
are saying. 11100 01011 010101 00001111 00011 0001111 010101

Actually sometime ago there was an article that appeared on one of the
magazines (not Pop Comm, not Monitoring Times, the other one that I
can't remember the name of). The article described a mod which would
remove filtering and allow 800-900 MHz signals to be heard as images in
the 400 MHz range on the scanner.... I believe that was what he was
refering too.

However you'll hear a lot of buzzing sound as in many areas the amount
of analog traffic is being reduced. Here in Central FL you'll still
hear some analog but only about 1 out of 15 signals will be analog. And
I'm actually surpised its still that high but it is....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com