Old September 16th 03, 03:38 PM
Henry

Default Scanner advice needed please (UK)

I am looking for a scanner so that I can have portable coverage from 100 kHz
to at least 850 MHz, with SSB/CW as one of the modes.

I have tried the Alinco DJ-X10, and returned it as faulty because the
performance was awful (very deaf below 90 MHz with the supplied antenna, and
blocked horribly with a short wire), and have been told that it was in
perfect working order.

Any suggestions for an alternative that I could try around the same price
that will give reasonable sensitivity down to 100 kHz as a portable (no wire
antenna), and with minimal or no blocking if a wire antenna is attached.

regards

Henry

Old September 16th 03, 10:22 PM
Joe landy

My AOR8000 is very impressive Below 90MHZ. So impressive on in fact, that I
sold my Dedicated HF Receiver! I'd recommend it to anyone, and as it's quite
old now you may want to go for the AOR8200. They're sure to be even better.
A friend of mine has a DJ-X10, and my 1986 Yaesu FRG9600 proved much more
sensitive. I consider that a pity, because the X-10 is such a compact but
capable scanner compared with others.
Another one to consider is the Yaesu VR500 (the handheld, not VR5000!).
Probably the smallest scanner to have SSB e.t.c. Just a pity they couldn't
incorporate the Yaesu VX-1 transciever into it, with it's incredible battery
life e.t.c.
Have fun.
Joe Landy
P.S I use a crossed-dipole for most VHF and UHF reception, I made it for
weather satellite reception, and it proved better than my discone and
moonraker vertical.
I use a home-brew longwire for HF reception. Ideally I'd like to buy a
decent HF vertical, but neighbour co-operation is already stretched to the
limit!

"Henry" wrote in message
I am looking for a scanner so that I can have portable coverage from 100

kHz
to at least 850 MHz, with SSB/CW as one of the modes.

I have tried the Alinco DJ-X10, and returned it as faulty because the
performance was awful (very deaf below 90 MHz with the supplied antenna,

and
blocked horribly with a short wire), and have been told that it was in
perfect working order.

Any suggestions for an alternative that I could try around the same price
that will give reasonable sensitivity down to 100 kHz as a portable (no

wire
antenna), and with minimal or no blocking if a wire antenna is attached.

regards

Henry

Advice needed on HQ-100 DesignGuy Boatanchors 4 November 30th 04 02:20 PM
Advice needed on HQ-100 DesignGuy Boatanchors 0 November 30th 04 02:54 AM
Advice Needed for Super J-Pole Design: Inductive Loops Overheating Dr. Slick Antenna 12 January 26th 04 04:41 PM
TS450S: advice needed Frank Equipment 8 July 19th 03 04:18 AM
TS450S: advice needed Frank Equipment 0 July 15th 03 07:17 PM