RadioBanter

-   -   Trade Modded DX-398 For Scanner (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/34433-trade-modded-dx-398-scanner.html)

Mark Keith October 3rd 03 08:31 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message n
Well PSK31 is narrower than morse code but the problem with it (according to
our local PSK31 guru) is that because it is narrower, it is hard to find the
PSK31 signals unless you know exactly where to look. I.e. just dialing
around, you easily zoom right past them without ever knowing they are there.
For that reason, I believe they have established calling frequencies in each
band so they can find each other. Plus they use some type of software to
scan and show peaks. I'm not into myself but we have several in the local
club who are.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

PSK31 is simple. Almost all the programs have spectrum graphs, or
waterfall displays to show signals within the passband used. Yes, most
PSK is on an established freq, +- . You don't "dial around" for PSK31.
You tune the radio to the set frequency, and the software is used to
"tune". Say 20m, you would tune in 14.070.15 and all the rest is done
in the software. You see a spectrum graph that shows all the signals
in the passband. To receive one, you just click on it. Bingo, it locks
up and starts to receive. The program I use "hamscope" can receive two
at a time in separate windows. Also works rtty, bpsk, etc..Most all
the common PSK freq's are at .070.15 per each ham band. IE:
3.570.15
7.070.15
14.070.15
21.070.15
28.070.15
Maybe be others such as novice PSK, etc .. MK

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 01:52 AM

Oh I hope not, I hope the USA never joins the rest of the world. We
don't need a 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter CB bands. God forbid that we have
something happen here far worse than 9/11 which renders Voice
communications useless and we need to go back to basices.

Like terrorists stab everyone who has a radio transmitter in the throat with a pen,
or even worse? Perhaps a laryngitis epidemic?

Or don't forget the time you will be stranded at the north pole with nothing in sight for miles but a phone booth
with a telephone where the microphone is missing and you have to use the touch tone pad to send a message in morse
code with! I love that one. Always some sort of ridiculous situation that would never happen to try and come
up with an instance where morse code could somehow be used. But then don't forget when you use that phone, the
operator, police, or whoever you call will not understand morse code, and that is the most important point everyone
on that demented side keeps forgetting.

The Emergency Broadcast System never sent messages or tests in morse code, but English voice. The public would
never understand it otherwise.

Commercials and spam are always in plain English so the message can reach as many people as possible, not be
limited to the two people who know morse code. Note how only idiots post binaries on newsgroups in yenc, but
spammers don't, because they want EVERYONE to be able to decode and view the spam, not just two people.

After all its a lot easier to build a CW rig than a voice rig in the event of a
national emergency.

That is why I have a 50,000 volt spark gap rig in storage. LOL\

In a national emergency, people are not suddenly going to understand morse code, so that would be worthless unless
you want to try and communicate with some 80 year old ham radio operator that is a hundred miles away. I would
rather reach some emergency agency personnel that are not going to know morse code, but spent time learning
important stuff instead that will now be useful in an emergency.

Once you stop teaching/learning the basics then
you'll gradully become a less educated national. Just look at workers
in McDonalds, when the computer quits working they can't make sales.....

Well, considering McDonalds isn't set up for paper & pen transactions I would
say that is understandable. How does your ebay business do when your computer
takes a ****?

In an emergency, McDonalds, Ebay and Morse Code will be the last things anyone is going to worry about.

N8KDV October 6th 03 01:58 AM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

[...]

Mommy, Mommy, make that mean 'ol FCC man give me a license.... Mommy, I cain't learn the code, I have ADD... Mommy,
Mommy please give me more Ritalin....

On and on it goes, there are those who can, and those who can't. Next you'll be bitching about the requirements to get
into medical school... to stringent for ya? Too bad.

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 02:06 AM

^ (1) what will you say after 6 months or a year, and the
^ nations you listed have seen no such degredation in band
^ quality after dropping the code requirement?

What is their population compared to the U.S.?

What does that have to do with anything? Is this the "big bully approach"
again? The US will eventually drop the requirement like EVERY country on this
planet, the point is why the US always has to be so behind the times and the LAST
one to figure out how to do it. We should have been the great example to the
world and been the FIRST one to drop it, not the last.

Do those other countries have
the trouble on the 11 meter band that the U.S. has?

What trouble? That it is all nothing but Mexicans with illegal amplifiers
anymore? What does morse code or having to get a license or use call signs
have to do with that?

If the code requirement is unnecessary then what about the electronics
knowledge requirement?

If you are going to build and set up high power transmitters, you had better know
the requirements needed to operate the equipment. If you are going to use a
microphone, then you have better know how to speak too. But needing to know
morse code before you are allowed to use a microphone on HF is like adding a
Russian speaking requirement before you are allowed to drive a car on a US road.

You still need to know the rules of the road, but you don't need to take a test
to show morse code before you drive a car either.

Is it necessary to know how a transistor functions in
order to operate a two-meter radio?

No, that is not needed. What is needed is to know about antenna systems,
interference issues, band plans, laws, and anything else needed to know before
setting up and operating a ham radio transmitter setup. No we don't get
tested on how a car engine works before getting a driver's license, so we don't
need to be tested on how a transistor works before being allowed to use a
radio. That is as ridiculous as having to know morse code before being allowed
to use a microphone.

If you want to use morse code on ham radio, then you should be required to learn
how to use morse code first. Those not wishing to ever use morse code do not
need to learn it, just as we don't all learn Chinese before we can post on
newsgroups in English.

Should the exam be nothing more than a test of the FCC rules?

Think WHY one has to be tested on the things we are tested before being allowed
to get behind a car and be on the road with other drivers. Now apply that to
getting a license before being allowed to use a radio that could cause harm to
others if it is not operated properly.

But it isn't forced and it isn't involuntary. An Amateur license is something
that is voluntarily sought.

Same with a driver's license. So let's make a morse code requirement for that
too then?

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 02:10 AM

Pretty close. Some of the other digital modes are narrower but as you
state, you need more hardware such as a computer. In addition each of the
other digital modes has its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages
in on air operation.

The biggest disadvantage would be narrowing down the percentage of people on
the other end that would be able to decipher your emergency message.

If you are calling for help, you want as many people on the receiving end of
your transmission to be able to UNDERSTAND your message as possible.

The emergency broadcast system (now the EAS) works on English Voice, NOT with
morse code. And it is designed to be used in an emergency. Same with
police, fire and ambulance radios.

Imagine the president addressing the public with a morse code key. Might as
well talk to a wall.

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 02:26 AM

Mommy, Mommy, make that mean 'ol FCC man give me a license.... Mommy, I cain't learn the code, I have ADD... Mommy,

I would love to see you cry to your mommy when you can't get your driver's license when you turn 16 because they may add a
requirement that you have to learn Russian first as a requirement to drive a car.

On and on it goes, there are those who can, and those who can't. Next you'll be bitching about the requirements to get
into medical school... to stringent for ya? Too bad.

If morse code was a requirement to get into medical school, then yes, so would everyone. (except for insane ham radio
operators without common sense reasoning abilities)

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 02:29 AM

It's been my experience that those who whine the most about the code requirement are
those who just won't take the time to learn it. Excuses, excuses....

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

I wish that the next time you wanted to fill your car up with gas, you had to waste time
learning Chinese first or no gas for your car. If you whined about it, we would all laugh
at you, call you lazy for not taking the time to learn Chinese.

Please don't be stupid. Stop, read COMPREHEND what you are reading and THINK about things
before you start making statements that make no sense.

N8KDV October 6th 03 02:31 AM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

Mommy, Mommy, make that mean 'ol FCC man give me a license.... Mommy, I cain't learn the code, I have ADD... Mommy,

I would love to see you cry to your mommy when you can't get your driver's license when you turn 16 because they may add a
requirement that you have to learn Russian first as a requirement to drive a car.

On and on it goes, there are those who can, and those who can't. Next you'll be bitching about the requirements to get
into medical school... to stringent for ya? Too bad.

If morse code was a requirement to get into medical school, then yes, so would everyone. (except for insane ham radio
operators without common sense reasoning abilities)

Yep, that's me, no common sense. However I was bright enough to be able to learn the code. :-)

I turned 16 a long time ago, and already have my drivers license.

N8KDV October 6th 03 02:33 AM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

It's been my experience that those who whine the most about the code requirement are
those who just won't take the time to learn it. Excuses, excuses....

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

I wish that the next time you wanted to fill your car up with gas, you had to waste time
learning Chinese first or no gas for your car. If you whined about it, we would all laugh
at you, call you lazy for not taking the time to learn Chinese.

Please don't be stupid. Stop, read COMPREHEND what you are reading and THINK about things
before you start making statements that make no sense.

You should certainly follow your own advice! I already did stop, I did read, and I did
comprehend. I passed the 13 word per minute code requirement!

N8KDV October 6th 03 02:36 AM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

It's been my experience that those who whine the most about the code requirement are
those who just won't take the time to learn it. Excuses, excuses....

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

I wish that the next time you wanted to fill your car up with gas, you had to waste time
learning Chinese first or no gas for your car. If you whined about it, we would all laugh
at you, call you lazy for not taking the time to learn Chinese.

Please don't be stupid.

Why, don't you want company?