RadioBanter

-   -   Trade Modded DX-398 For Scanner (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/34433-trade-modded-dx-398-scanner.html)

Dee D. Flint October 6th 03 02:47 AM

"Jeff Renkin" wrote in message
Pretty close. Some of the other digital modes are narrower but as you
state, you need more hardware such as a computer. In addition each of

the
other digital modes has its own unique set of advantages and

disadvantages
in on air operation.

The biggest disadvantage would be narrowing down the percentage of people

on
the other end that would be able to decipher your emergency message.

If you are calling for help, you want as many people on the receiving end

of
your transmission to be able to UNDERSTAND your message as possible.

The emergency broadcast system (now the EAS) works on English Voice, NOT

with
morse code. And it is designed to be used in an emergency. Same

with
police, fire and ambulance radios.

Imagine the president addressing the public with a morse code key.

Might as
well talk to a wall.

In emergencies hams are NOT broadcasting to the public. They are using
their skills to pass messages from the public and emergency services to the
public and emergency services via the ham network. No has to be able to
understand the message while it is in transit except the hams. Thus hams
can and will use any means at their disposal appropriate to the situation,
that includes voice, computer digital modes and good old Morse code.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee D. Flint October 6th 03 02:48 AM

"Jeff Renkin" wrote in message
It's been my experience that those who whine the most about the code

requirement are
those who just won't take the time to learn it. Excuses, excuses....

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already

learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

Strange. That flies in the face of all the available surveys. The General
and higher class operators heavily favor keeping it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 03:34 AM

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already
learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

Strange. That flies in the face of all the available surveys. The General
and higher class operators heavily favor keeping it.

Surveys are never accurate with reality. That is just how unemployed mall
rats who actually talk to telemarketer and clip board survey takers feel.

Of the 15 - 20 ham friends I have, we are all Generals and Extras and ALL
against the morse code requirement. Half of us also hold the GROL commercial
licenses with radar endorsement.

If you know of anyone who is a General or Extra who is for keeping the
requirement, that is because they feel that since they had to do it, everyone
else should have to too. A very childish and selfish emotional reason that is
not based on logic or common sense.

Everyone I know had to take the code test, but we still have sense to know it
was wrong and understood it was only because of the stupid world agreement that
we had to endure it. Now that that excuse no longer applies, everyone is
dropping it. So will the US, but they always have to go through their long
drawn out political ways to make a simple decision take months and years to
finally get something done, even when it is as simple as this. Look how
FAST other governments were able to drop this. Very impressive!

Hey, our ancestors had to own slaves and not allow blacks to use the same rest
rooms and water fountains as whites, so everyone else should have to continue
by those requirements too, right? When we dropped the slavery thing, that
was because people were too lazy to beat slaves and now the world is like
citizens band because we don't have slavery in the US anymore, right?

Yeah, we all had to take the stupid code test. And most of us ended up
forgetting it right after the test because we never used it. We never
intended to use it, but we wanted to use microphones on HF frequencies, so we
had to learn it because of a world agreement. The military dropped code
because there was no world agreement forcing them to keep an outdated
antiquated worthless mode. (the microphone and speaker were since invented,
thus we have telephones in our homes and not telegraphs)

Well, the world finally agreed that the code requirement is silly and dropped
it. But now each country has to do the paperwork to drop it from their
respective country's law books and it is a quick process in efficiently run
countries, but will take months and years in governments like the one in the
USA.

In case you are too slow mentally to realize it, the debates here now are no
longer about if we should keep or drop the requirement, that debate is now over
for good. The new argument is why it is taking the US government so long to
change the wording and text in our laws to reflect the change.

Keeping the requirement when no other country in the world has the requirement
would be even more idiotic than the whole requirement was in the first
place! Surely if you sit and think about that for a while you can see
something as obvious as this.

Then again, you don't even know what the argument is about. You still
think it is about if or not to have the requirement still. It is about the
slowness of the US to change the text of the law.

Obviously it is fact that the requirement will be dropped in the US and every
country in the world (it already has been) it is just a matter of watching
how fast or slow each country's government can rewrite a law if they put effort
into it.

Look how fast the US government could act to change the name of french fries to
freedom fries. They can do it for silly things, why not when it comes to
serious issues?

Billions every month for war against a country that didn't have any WMD just
like they kept saying they didn't, yet not one dollar available for health care
and now more US citizens are without health care and insurance than ever
before.

Yet, knowing and learning morse code is your priority in life. How pathetic.

The last time I used morse code, was decades ago when I had to pass the test at
the FCC field offices a long time ago, never used it once after that. Talk
about lazy, YOU probably only had to receive and recognize a few words and
select a multiple choice answer. We didn't have it that easy, but we don't
start whining that all of you should have to do it the hard way just because we
had to, we realize it is a silly and ridiculous requirement and NO one should
have to take it unless they intend to USE morse code on the bands.

In the later case, even those using 2-meters should have to learn it if they
intend to use it there.
Only makes sense. Something many of you know nothing about.

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 03:44 AM

The biggest disadvantage would be narrowing down the percentage of people
on
the other end that would be able to decipher your emergency message.

If you are calling for help, you want as many people on the receiving end

of
your transmission to be able to UNDERSTAND your message as possible.

The emergency broadcast system (now the EAS) works on English Voice, NOT

with
morse code. And it is designed to be used in an emergency. Same

with
police, fire and ambulance radios.

Imagine the president addressing the public with a morse code key.

Might as
well talk to a wall.

In emergencies hams are NOT broadcasting to the public.

In an emergency anyone is broadcasting to ANYONE that is listening. If you
think a ham or anyone else in an emergency is not going to want a non-ham to
help, or will refuse to deal with a non-ham you are crazy.

In an emergency you can even use frequencies and radios at your access that you
would not normally be licensed to operate on. We are talking about
EMERGENCIES here. No time to waste playing morse code or taking the time to
pound out a cry for help one letter at a time in a mode that only ends up
sounding like silly beeps to most of the people listening on the other end that
would otherwise be hearing your cry for help.

Next time you are stranded in your car and need a tow, why don't you call on
your cell phone and punch our your problem in morse code with the touch tone pad
and see how fast you are able to get any assistance. Your call for assistance
will be taken as a prank phone call and they will hang up on you and you will
remain stranded until you decide to talk into the microphone so that someone can
hear and understand your message.

Common sense folks. You can pretend to say otherwise here on this newsgroup,
but when the real emergency arises, the last thing on your mind will be playing
with morse code! Then see how fast you can use a microphone and your voice!

They are using
their skills to pass messages from the public and emergency services to the
public and emergency services via the ham network. No has to be able to
understand the message while it is in transit except the hams.

MOST hams don't understand morse code either! The no-code tech class has
outnumbered the other license classes for years, and those that did learn the
code only did so to pass the test and many never used it after the test. (like
myself and all my ham friends)

Send code to us and it will be nothing more than beep beep beep beep. I
remember SOS and the letter R for some reason (probably since most repeaters end
with R on their id) but that won't tell me where you are or what the problem
is. Unless you talk to us, you can consider yourself dead in an emergency.

Thus hams
can and will use any means at their disposal appropriate to the situation,
that includes voice,

It sure does.

N8KDV October 6th 03 12:18 PM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already

learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

Strange. That flies in the face of all the available surveys. The General
and higher class operators heavily favor keeping it.

Surveys are never accurate with reality. That is just how unemployed mall
rats who actually talk to telemarketer and clip board survey takers feel.

Of the 15 - 20 ham friends I have, we are all Generals

Are you a General or Extra? I don't see a Jeff Renkin or a Jeffrey Renkin listed at
QRZ. What is your call OM?

craigm October 6th 03 01:54 PM

"Jeff Renkin" wrote in message

In the later case, even those using 2-meters should have to learn it if

they
intend to use it there.
Only makes sense. Something many of you know nothing about.

Since Morse code is used in the HF bands and you need to pass the code test
to get the license to work the HF bands, it seems to make sense to me.

If you really want to work the HF bands, learn code and be done with it. By
your own argument it must make sense.

Craig

"Why should I have to learn to parallel park to get a driver's license.
There are plenty of parking lots/ramps, I'll never need to parallel park,
ever."

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 05:08 PM

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already
learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

Strange. That flies in the face of all the available surveys. The General
and higher class operators heavily favor keeping it.

Surveys are never accurate with reality. That is just how unemployed mall
rats who actually talk to telemarketer and clip board survey takers feel.

Of the 15 - 20 ham friends I have, we are all Generals

Are you a General or Extra? I don't see a Jeff Renkin or a Jeffrey Renkin listed at
QRZ. What is your call OM?

Gee, how did I know not to use my real name because some wacko like you would be
looking me up on QRZ to get my address and whatnot. Why were you trying to look me
up? So you could put me on all sorts of mailing lists or come visit my house and
throw eggs at it? Grow up!

We may be forced to give out our callsigns on the ham frequencies but anyone that does
it here is just asking for trouble. Might just as well post your real email
addresses here too while you are at it so you can get lots of spam.

Now instead of trying to find my address so you can pull your pranks, why not read the
rest and learn....

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 05:16 PM

In the later case, even those using 2-meters should have to learn it if
they
intend to use it there.
Only makes sense. Something many of you know nothing about.

Since Morse code is used in the HF bands and you need to pass the code test
to get the license to work the HF bands, it seems to make sense to me.

Morse Code is also used on 6 meters and above! But you don't have to pass a
code test to use them. See?

If it makes sense to you that you need to learn morse code before you are
allowed to talk into a microphone on HF, then we know all we need to know about
you.

Q. Why do we not need to learn morse code on 6 meters and above to talk into
a microphone, and why did we need to learn morse code to talk into a mic below
6 meters?

A. International Law.

But now that International Law has dropped the requirement, you no longer need
to "learn how to ride a horse and surrey before being allowed to drive an
automobile"

If you really want to work the HF bands, learn code and be done with it.

I already learned the code years ago when I got my license. The fact that
you assume that everyone that is against the code requirement did not learn
morse code just shows how limited your mind works.

Likewise, you don't have to be a murderer to know that murder is wrong.

Now make sure your brain is engaged next time before putting your mouth in
gear.
Right everyone?

Spurious Noise October 6th 03 06:07 PM

I totally agree with the comment below.

I used to give my callsign and e-mail address on the NG's and had terrible
grief as a result.
I never flamed anyone and was as diplomatic as possible if I had a different
view or disagreed with a poster.

95% of my posts were to help people. I answered several hundred over a 5
year period.
Being a ham for over 20 years and retired, it gave me a sense of
satisfaction as an Elmer.

Then came the spam, false signups, hate mail, false posts in my name, and
phone calls.
An idiot even cracked my password to QRZ and modified my Bio in a most
hideous way.

Another person here who is female was getting several obscene phone calls a
week when someone used QRZ to find her address, then the phone book for the
number. She had to bring in the authorities to get it stopped.

So that is why so many regular NG posters are anon.

Giving your callsign and true e-mail address DOES NOTHING TO ENHANCE
CREDIBILITY

BEWARE -- Caveat Poster

--
73 From the Spurious Noise ';';;';x":.,";"'

N8KDV October 6th 03 06:30 PM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

[...]

Hey, Butthead, I looked you up because you claimed to be either a General or an Extra...
you are neither. So why don't you grow up? As someone else said, if you'd put *half* the
effort into learning the code that you do into whining about it you might actually get
somewhere.

Steve, N8KDV, General Class... look it up Butthead!