Old November 16th 03, 12:32 PM
Jim Mac Donald

Default Civil Air Patrol

The Civil Air Patrol (CAP), an auxiliary of the U. S. Air Force,
has conducted several drills on the
two frequencies attributed to them , CH 1 148.150 and CH 2 148.125,
with a PL for the
New Hampshire wing of 136.5 hz ( Mass Wing and others may us the PL
tone of 100.00 hz)
this past month in Southern New Hampshire.

Yesterday is the first time received traffic on 148.125 simplex
here in New Hampshire.

This is in addition to CAP missions, going out on the occasional
search for Emergency Locator Beacon., that have come up on the air on
148.15 repeater, over the past several years. I do not have the VHF-AM
air band allocations for the CAP in any of my radios and when they were
entered
into the radios didn't hear much on the air band form the folks in CAP.

I will be loading those CAP AM air band SAR frequencies which are
readily available at different sites
on the web, into the ICOM IC R-2 to see if they may have search and
rescue mission or drill traffic along
with what's coming across the CAP VHF-FM channels.

These two CAP frequencies also are heavily used at air shows. They
seem to be in the "repeater talk around"
simplex mode. Along with FRS Handy Talkies.
Checking the FRS band when hearing activity on the "official" CAP
channels may yield
other communications, the CAP Cadets and their adult officers appear to
use FRS radios.

The FRS band is a good place to check for other groups like scouts
and Law Enforcement- Fire
Explorers, too. Nothing has shown up on the 390 MHz-FM Military (FRS
like) intersquad band. This 14 channel
UHF-FM band has been checked over the last two air show seasons!
Jim

Old November 25th 03, 10:04 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article , says...
The Civil Air Patrol (CAP), an auxiliary of the U. S. Air Force,
has conducted several drills on the
two frequencies attributed to them , CH 1 148.150 and CH 2 148.125,
with a PL for the
New Hampshire wing of 136.5 hz ( Mass Wing and others may us the PL
tone of 100.00 hz)
this past month in Southern New Hampshire.

You may also want to plug 143.9 MHz in -- that's the input frequency for
the 148.15 repeater output. I don't remember the other VHF input, but
it's pretty close to 143.9. MARS repeaters use frequencies very close
to these, also.

Also, if I remember correctly, 123.1 is a common frequency in the VHF
aircraft band for "tactical" use by CAP aircraft and for air-to-ground
communications. And of course, ALWAYS keep 121.5 programmed in, along
with 243.0 if your scanner covers that band -- those are the VHF and UHF
"GUARD" frequencies for aircraft emergency communications.

Long, long ago, CAP also used 26.620 MHz. This was made available by
using old crystal-controlled CB radios and putting the channel 10 CB
crystals in backwards (put the Rx crystal in the Tx slot, and vice
versa). I believe this frequency has long since been dis-used, with the
advent of less expensive VHF FM gear and the passing of crystal-
controlled CB equipment into the sands of time.

Good point about the FRS frequencies. I'll remember that tip, thanks.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Web:
http://home.earthlink.net/~kb6ojs_steve
Old November 25th 03, 02:35 PM
tester

CAP uses 100.0 hz PL as a nationwide standard. All CAP repeaters have to
respond to this tone but it is only to be used by low power portables (less
than 6 watts with internal antennas) and when out of your home area. Each
repeater also has a normal tone (one of the 32 standard PL tones) which is
what you will normally hear. Some CAP repeaters do not tranmsit PL tone
but do require it before repeating.

CAP uses 148.1375 as a Ground channel and 149.5375 as Air-Ground. Both of
these are supposed to transmit 100.0 hz also but some radios may not be
programmed correctly.

CAP still has 26.620 but it is little used. They also have several HF
freqs from 2 to 14 MHz and these are used for long range communications in
USB.

Finally, CAP also has some "inter-squad" radios. These are basically the
same as FRS except they are on federal freqs right around 400 MHz.

Oh yeah, CAP also operates practice ELTs on 121.775 for training.

Steve Silverwood wrote in
k.net:

In article , says...
[...]

Civil Defense symbols Pete & Renee Davis Boatanchors 6 September 11th 04 06:37 AM
Science Fair Globe Patrol (28-205) L. Boatanchors 3 September 6th 04 12:07 AM
Emerson Radio Patrol 2002 JM Scanner 1 October 28th 03 04:36 AM
F-16 Jets Launched to Patrol in the East as a Precaution Beloved Leader Scanner 5 August 17th 03 06:32 PM
Florida Combat Air Patrol Mission active right now GeorgeF Scanner 0 August 3rd 03 07:04 PM