Old December 16th 03, 01:31 AM
Frank Bals

Default PRO-43 charging NiMH batteries

Can the NiMH batteries be charged inside the scanner or just the NiCad
rechargeable type?

Frank

Old December 16th 03, 02:15 AM
mike

it will take a bit longer, but no problems.(dif capacity)
in simple terms without going into too much tech stuff
in almost all applications, they can directly replace nicads.

however, purists will lead you believe otherwise.

mike

"Frank Bals" wrote in message
Can the NiMH batteries be charged inside the scanner or just the NiCad
rechargeable type?

Frank

---

Old December 16th 03, 06:39 AM
Dwight Stewart

"mike" wrote:
"Frank Bals" wrote:
Can the NiMH batteries be charged
inside the scanner or just the NiCad
rechargeable type?

it will take a bit longer, but no problems.
(dif capacity) in simple terms without
going into too much tech stuff in almost
all applications, they can directly replace
nicads.

That's not been my experience, Mike. In most cases, it has taken
considerably longer to charge NiMH batteries in chargers designed
exclusively for NiCad batteries. And, in some cases, there have been
problems with proper charger operation - ranging from chargers never turning
off, resulting in overcharged batteries if not supervised, to some "smart"
chargers refusing to charge the NiMH batteries at all.

In general (there are always exceptions), a person should use a charger
designed for the batteries being charged. There are many chargers today,
internal and external, designed to accept both NiCad and NiMH batteries.
Older equipment usually doesn't offer this dual capability.

I've tried charging NiMH batteries in the Pro-43. The batteries never
reached a full charge, even after almost two full days of charging. At that
point, I gave up and went back to standard NiCads.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 16th 03, 11:39 PM
mike

i have two
a pro-39 & another one.
both have been used with nimh for 2 years now.
i'm still getting about double the time span per charge compared with
nicads.

agree though, it depends on the charging circuit, but i've always found true
constant current chargers don't seem to mind & give a good level of charge.

cheers dwight

mike g7bnf

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
k.net...

Old December 17th 03, 06:48 AM
Mark

It seems to me that the benefit of the Pro-series scanners is that you don't
have to charge the batteries in the scanner. I just pop out one set and
drop the other set in. I can charge the batteries (NiMH or NiCad) in a
quality charger that uses pulse charging and overcharge protection in a lot
shorter time than it takes to charge them in the scanner. And I'm free to
take the scanner anywhere I want while the other batteries are charging, I'm
not tied to a power source for the 14+ hours it takes to charge the
batteries in the scanner. Until such time as Uniden finally gets a clue and
drops their proprietary battery packs in favor of a standard AA battery
holder, I'll keep buying RS/GRE handheld scanners.

Mark

Old December 17th 03, 11:40 AM
Dwight Stewart

"mike" wrote:
i have two
a pro-39 & another one.
both have been used with nimh for 2
years now. i'm still getting about
double the time span per charge
compared with nicads.

Which brand of NiMH batteries are you using, Mike? The batteries I tried
were slightly longer than a normal "AA" battery and would not fit into the
battery holder properly. I suspect this is a big part of the reason I could
not get them to charge. By the way, I think these batteries were made by
Panasonic, but can't be certain because they're sold with the "Radio Shack"
name on them at Radio Shack stores here.

My end solution was "Hi-Capacity" NiCad batteries (1000 mAh), which have
worked well for me (reasonable recharge time and longer scanner use between
charges). The "Hi-Capacity" NiCad batteries at Radio Shack are also slightly
longer than a normal "AA" battery, but not so much so as to not work
properly in the battery holder (just a tight squeeze getting them into the
holder).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 17th 03, 11:55 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Mark" wrote:
It seems to me that the benefit of the
Pro-series scanners is that you don't
have to charge the batteries in the
scanner. I just pop out one set and
drop the other set in. I can charge the
batteries (NiMH or NiCad) in a quality
charger that uses pulse charging and
overcharge protection in a lot shorter
time than it takes to charge them in the
scanner. And I'm free to take the
scanner anywhere I want while the
other batteries are charging, I'm not tied
to a power source for the 14+ hours it
takes to charge the batteries in the
scanner. Until such time as Uniden
finally gets a clue and drops their
proprietary battery packs in favor of
a standard AA battery holder, I'll keep
buying RS/GRE handheld scanners.

All excellent points, Mark. I've been happy with Radio Shack scanners for
many years. I have other scanners today (including two Ham radios with
scanning capabilities), but that old Pro-43 will remain in use until it dies
completely.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 17th 03, 02:52 PM
AllanStern

I have other scanners today (including two Ham radios with
scanning capabilities), but that old Pro-43 will remain in use
until it dies completely.

TREmendous radio.
Last night I plugged an air-air refueling freq into several of my radios here
on the FL east coast in an attempt to hear a certain acft refueling near
Sarasota FL on FL's west coast. I could not snag the comms on any of my
scanners attached to antennas on my Rohn 25 tower. I decided to opt for my
ace-in-the-hole unit, my Pro-43 that I have wall-mounted and using a Radio
Shack center-loaded whip.
You guessed it, I was able to copy KC-135 BOLT 24 air-air refueling AC-130U
Gunship SPOOKY 41 on 276.5.

AL STERN Satellite Beach FL

Old December 17th 03, 08:09 PM
mike

uniross mignon 1300mAh dwight
got some RS ones as well, 1800mAh

mike

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
nk.net...

Old December 18th 03, 10:45 AM
Dwight Stewart

"mike" wrote:
uniross mignon 1300mAh dwight

Never heard of them, so must be a European brand. Anyway, they are
probably but available on the internet somewhere so I'll keep my eyes out
for them.

got some RS ones as well, 1800mAh

If you got them into the battery holder properly, mine must be an odd one
out. Mine were so tight, the ends of the plastic holder itself bent out
(losing contact).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/