Old December 22nd 03, 06:16 AM
Dxluver

Default The way you monitor.............

I was curious at to the 'way' you all use your scanners. I have the 9000XLT
(which I love) and the Pro70 along with three others. Even though shortwave
and the BCB are my favorites, I'm going to start getting back to my scanners
(that kind of got me in the entire monitoring hobby BTW.)

For 'MilitaryGeorge' or others in here. How would you set up your 9000XLT and
the 70? Are the military freqs the same in Ohio as in your area. Is there a
'different' part of the spectrum you monitor and hooked too. {?} I need some
ideas here and would appreciate a little bit of imput from all of you.

**I've often thought of monitoring the FBI or FEMA or any of the alphabet
agencies, I have a feeling there'd be MUCH 'down time.' Am I right or wrong
here.

Thanks a bunch :-)
Old December 22nd 03, 12:51 PM
Bill Crocker

Check here for military air:
http://www.milaircomms.com/

Bill Crocker

Old December 22nd 03, 11:25 PM
Dxluver

Check here for military air:
http://www.milaircomms.com/

Thanks Bill, yeah I know about George's site. (Not to sound mean) but that
didn't answer my question. ;-)
Old December 30th 03, 09:12 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article ,
says...
Are the military freqs the same in Ohio as in your area.

Addressing just this one question: The bands allocated to the US
military are the same nation-wide. Therefore, for example, 225MHz thru
400MHz will always be used by military aviation. However, the specific
frequencies vary from location to location. If you want to know what
frequencies are being used for a given airfield, be it military or
civilian, you can visit
www.airnav.com and look up the specifics for
that airport.

For military frequencies other than those used at specific airfields, or
for non-aviation services, you will want to consult the Poilce Call or
other similar references. And of course, putting out a general request
here with information about your monitoring location will usually
generate some good replies. Since a lot of military communications are
in the VHF and UHF ranges, they're line-of-sight and therefore of
limited range. "Ohio" is a large area, so if you specify where you are
it might be helpful.

And if you're REALLY hard-core -- and willing to take some risks -- you
might hang out in the vicinity of your local National Guard armory
during a weekend when they're having their monthly drills, "armed" with
a scanner and frequency counter. You can probably pick up some good
"intel" on what frequencies they're using that way. Same goes for Air
National Guard, Army/Navy/Marine/Air Force Reserve facilities, and
active-duty military installations.

Note that when I mentioned the risk factor above, though, consider that
we are at terrorist-threat condition "Orange" right now, so someone
sniffing around with electronic equipment will probably not be looked
upon as harmless by the MPs patrolling the base. (Same goes for
listening around airports, but their frequencies are public
information.) If it ever goes to RED, best to just stay home....

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:
Old January 5th 04, 05:53 AM
Dxluver

[...]

Thanks Steve,
Yeah, kinda knew that already. It's been years since I monitored the military
freqs and I don't want to really waste five hundred entries in my piece for no
action, you know what I mean.

As for the 'mobiling' and getting the freqs, that is EXACTLY what I used to
do. Drive around in my black car with five antennas on it...lol...definitely
'wired for sound.' I'd call it 'booger hunting' and would drive out by the
bases, got some pretty wild stories and actually backed up with video tape.
:-)

**Very proud of my *Booger Hunting* nights**