Old January 23rd 04, 03:12 PM
Frank

Jim Mac Donald ...

^ You may want to add an antenna tuner to the long wire ,I fully
^ understand that this is a RECEIVE ONLY application. The tuner
^ will help even when just receiving! Here's a source

The lowest priced tuner there is $80! I doubt that the little improvement you
get will be worth that much.

Frank

Old January 24th 04, 05:11 AM
Matt

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3e1c3$47fa8aa0$0125250a@noylptghgnznzstp.. .
Jim Mac Donald ...

^ You may want to add an antenna tuner to the long wire ,I fully
^ understand that this is a RECEIVE ONLY application. The tuner
^ will help even when just receiving! Here's a source

The lowest priced tuner there is $80! I doubt that the little improvement

you
get will be worth that much.

Frank

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Personally I have antennas up
for most bands that I want to listen to - however I did notice a big
difference in signal strength when I tuned up my 40m dipole on 15 metres
versus using the 40m antenna without the tuner - signal strength was
significantly better (around the 4-5 "S" points higher). Same thing when I
tuned up my 10 metre vertical for 15m.
I have just about exhausted all room for antennas on my block, so as I
cannot put any more up, a tuner will likely be the only way to go
Guess that it depends on whether you want to hear the lower down signals or
not.

Matt

Old January 24th 04, 08:44 AM
c.foster

i use an antenna tuner with all my radios and i find that on some bands you
get little to no improvement and on other bands you can get 3 or 4 "s"
points of improvement.
if you want to make one just go to radio havana cuba's website and look in
arnie corro's section and he has all the plans for building one or two
different antenna tuners.

chuck

Old January 26th 04, 08:58 AM
Jim Mac Donald

You can also find plains and construction ideas in the ARRL handbook and
other Ham
publications, available at many public libraries. The real trick of building a
antenna tuner is finding
the variable capacitor and large coil for this circuit.
Jim

"Matt" wrote in message
"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM
Wire antenna Tim Boyd Dx 6 August 22nd 04 01:43 AM
Antenna feed wire question Cecil Moore Antenna 0 August 8th 04 04:04 PM
Any Good Or Useful For Listening Only ?: WiNRADiO WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter Robert11 Antenna 1 November 6th 03 03:47 AM