Old May 10th 04, 03:27 AM
Scott Ehrlich

Default bc296d or pro96?

I'm about to venture for a new scanner, and have pretty much narrowed it
down to these two models. I happen to live in the Boston, MA area, and I
know there is digital activity in my area.

Some of what I've learned about the scanners:

- The 296d has wider receive than the pro96

- The Pro96 reportedly has better receive audio for digital transmissions

- The 296d supposedly does a better job tracking private talking

- The Pro96 can be software updated

- Both have some sort of computer/software control

- Both are direct competitors

- Both are priced pretty close to each other

What selling points make one a better radio than the other?

What else should I know about the 296d vs the Pro96?

I'm in no rush to buy.

Thanks for any insights.

Scott, WY1Z
Old May 10th 04, 04:18 AM
JER1538A

NO 12.5 KC SPLITS ON VHF ON PRO 96
Old May 10th 04, 05:16 PM
Tramr300

I would first find out all you can about the systems you want to monitor.
There are a lot of types of systems.
Digtal, yes, but is it 9600 bauds or 3600 bauds, etc...
Check out this site...
http://www.radioreference.com/

There is a lot of info. out there, so do some research before you buy.
Hope this helps some ...

""Don't shake my tree, if you don't like what comes down""
:-) **** Life Is Too Short...*** (-:
****Enjoy The Ride...***
Old May 11th 04, 12:34 AM
BDK

In article ,
ocrap says...
I would first find out all you can about the systems you want to monitor.
There are a lot of types of systems.
Digtal, yes, but is it 9600 bauds or 3600 bauds, etc...
Check out this site...
http://www.radioreference.com/

There is a lot of info. out there, so do some research before you buy.
Hope this helps some ...

""Don't shake my tree, if you don't like what comes down""
:-) **** Life Is Too Short...*** (-:
****Enjoy The Ride...***

I personally would take a Pro-96 over the Uniden for the battery
arrangement alone, not to mention that in general, the 96 has much
better quality control than the 296. The fact that the 96 takes AA batts
is THE clincher for me. If uniden wants to use a pack, copy one of the
big three ham packs, and then rebrand the chargers and stuff as Uniden.
Don't keep using the pitiful ones they use now..

BDK

FS: Uniden BC296D Scanner and Antennas Doug Matulis Equipment 0 September 23rd 04 04:24 AM
BC296D vs Pro 96 Steven Lasher Scanner 1 March 14th 04 11:18 AM
FA: FA: Brand new Uniden BC296D and BC795D Radioman Scanner 0 February 28th 04 09:06 PM
BC296D Tune Mode? Richard Kuhler Scanner 1 January 18th 04 04:57 AM
BC296D trunking problems Tim Scanner 5 January 17th 04 08:16 AM