Old August 31st 04, 01:54 PM
Sandy Hoff

Default Legal to carry a scanner

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.
Old August 31st 04, 02:09 PM
North

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:54:24 GMT, Sandy Hoff said:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.

In many areas that I have lived, it was only illegal to carry a
scanner if 1) you were using it to commit a crime, and 2) if you are a
convicted felon.

Check with your local law enforcment agency, laws vary on this.

n.

Old August 31st 04, 02:48 PM
Jack Painter

"Sandy Hoff" wrote
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Apparently either your google is broke, or your finger that would have
actually pressed the enter key for it.

Mobile Scanner & RADAR Detector Laws In The US... By Todd L. Sherman/KB4MHH.
(http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/). [ About This Page ] [ Disclaimer ]
[ Federal Laws ] [ State Scanner Laws ] [ State RADAR ...
www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/ - Similar pages

scanning reference... State of Florida Scanner Law. Florida Statutes (1995),
Title 46, Crimes, Ch. ... Scanner Laws List by state of scanner and radar
detector laws. ...
www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/rules.shtml - 8k - Aug 30, 2004 - Cached -
Similar pages

Mobile Scanners and Radar Detectors following states. (IPB ...===== Mobile
Scanners and Radar Detectors following states. ...
www.panix.com/clay/scanning/ Frequencies/handy-info/scan-law.txt - 5k -
Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.panix.com ]

An Overview of State Scanner LawsLI. NY. CT. DC. DE. MA. MD. ME. NH. NJ. PA.
RI. VT. An Overview of State Scanner Laws ===== Mobile ...
http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/scan.../scanlaws.html - 11k - Cached -
Similar pages

Strong Signals - Scanner Laws... I will need the input from those of you who
live in these countries AND are aware of the actual laws which govern the
.... Country, Scanner Ownership, Restrictions. ...
www.strongsignals.net/access/content/laws.html - 14k - Cached - Similar
pages

Police Scanner Laws - Police-Scanner.infoGeneral Scanning Information.
"Police Scanners & the Law". ... Mobile Scanner & Radar Detector Laws in US
Great site! Lots of info here. ...
http://www.police-scanner.info/scann...anner_laws.htm - 11k - Cached - Similar
pages

US-scanner lawsUp. Laws Governing Radio Monitoring in the United States. ...
We like to have our (potential) customers informed. US Radio Monitoring
Laws. ...
www.cbshop.com/US-scanner-laws.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

California Scanner LawsScanner Laws in California. California Penal Code
Section 636.5 Wrongful Interception and Divulgence of Police Radio
Communication. ...
www.barovelli.com/radio/scan/scanlaws.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Florida Scanner Laws and the FL Atty. General's OpinionFlorida Scanner Laws
and the FL Atty. General's Opinion. Link to ... this site! Florida Scanner
Laws and the FL Atty. General's Opinion. ...
www.geocities.com/cyfy325/law.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Michigan Scanner Law... Printer-friendly window featuring this article;
select FilePrint. Michigan Scanner Law. (Michigan Scanner Law) Pricing and
Advertising ...
www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7-154-10573_ 17416_17422-22656--,00.html - 21k -
Cached - Similar pages

Google Results Page:

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
Next

Old August 31st 04, 02:55 PM
PowerHouse Communications

You look to be in the clear, however, who knows these days. I'd check with
a local State Police post with regard to the laws in your state...

Information provided by:
http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html

Old August 31st 04, 03:14 PM
Burr

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message
You look to be in the clear, however, who knows these days. I'd check

with
a local State Police post with regard to the laws in your state...

Let sleeping dogs lie!!!

Old August 31st 04, 03:18 PM
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.

I believe licensed HAM's can carry a scanner even in areas where local
laws prohibit the practice. Check with your local police.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly
Old August 31st 04, 03:39 PM
Mark S. Holden

Sandy Hoff wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.

Hi

It's probably legal as long as you're not using it for an illegal purpose.

On the other hand, Murphy's law says any police officer who pulls you over and finds the scanner will not know this or will presume you're using it illegally. There's not much percentage in arguing with a police officer who has pulled you over, even if
you are right.

So if you're not using it, keep it out of sight, and don't volunteer that you have one if you get pulled over.
Old August 31st 04, 04:21 PM
Gunner

wrote:

Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?

It varys by state. Some places its illegal to carry a scanner without
a ham license. Michigan for one unless they changed it.

Gunner

"She's (my daughter) already dating a sex offender.
Better that than a republican fundie neocon fascist."
FF, (alt.machines.cnc)
Old August 31st 04, 06:53 PM
Jack Painter

The anonymous lowlife
"Gunner" wrote in message

Gunner

"She's (my daughter) already dating a sex offender.
Better that than a republican fundie neocon fascist."
FF, (alt.machines.cnc)

Hopefully you are unable to pass your genes on, but if you had a daughter, I
hope she never experiences the real scum of a father that you could be. I
think you should be hunted down.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach

Old August 31st 04, 10:58 PM
Jim Douglas

If and when TSHTF the mushroom cloud will get ya before the scanner tell's
you to bend over, place your head
firmly between your legs and kiss your abs goodbye!

So what if it's illegal? It's illegal to speed, beat the wife and tons of
other things folks do everyday, not me, others!
If you want one get one, go get it. If it "illegal" in your area find one on
ebay.

Now if you are robbing jewerly stores and using it to figure out how long
till the cops get there your probably going to prison anyway so whats
another few months for having a scanner.

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Advice on buying a scanner John Scanner 0 August 25th 04 12:11 PM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 02:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 04:39 AM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM