Old September 2nd 04, 12:06 AM
ScanMan

That is about 75% of the reason I went and got my FCC license - to legally
have a scanner in my vehicle. It is well worth the effort. Now that I am a
ham radio op I do 2-meters on the road now, too...beats the hell out of CB

"Sandy Hoff" wrote in message
Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.

Old September 2nd 04, 12:26 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:21:25 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:54:24 GMT, Sandy Hoff
wrote:

Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?

It varys by state. Some places its illegal to carry a scanner without
a ham license. Michigan for one unless they changed it.

You might check the archives of this group for a recent thread
using the words "mobile" and "installed" There was an issue in some
state over language in the law about requiring mobile scanners to be
"installed" i.e., does a simple lighter power plug constitute
"installed" or must it be hard-wired and non-removable?

Gunner

"She's (my daughter) already dating a sex offender.
Better that than a republican fundie neocon fascist."
FF, (alt.machines.cnc)

Old September 2nd 04, 01:05 AM
m II

Sandy Hoff wrote:
m II wrote:

Burr wrote:

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message

You look to be in the clear, however, who knows these days. I'd check

with

a local State Police post with regard to the laws in your state...

Let sleeping dogs lie!!!

Wonderful advice. Nothing like getting put a 'suspicious person' list
for asking an innocent question from YOUR OWN civil servants..

That's why such phone calls are made from a public phone with a bogus name.

It's a pretty frightening state of affairs when your advice makes
perfect sense.

mike

Old September 2nd 04, 06:05 AM
Matt

"m II" wrote in message
That's why such phone calls are made from a public phone with a bogus

name.

It's a pretty frightening state of affairs when your advice makes
perfect sense.

mike

Unfortunately few of the police officers would really know what they are
talkinga bout when it comes to enforcement about laws on scanners and would
probably give you the wrong answer out of ignorance or misguided intentions.
Thankfully in Australia, the power to regulate scanning and other
communications issues rests with our commonwealth government (i.e. federal
government) so the state government (and police forces) have no powers to
deal with the issues relating to communications. Have seen a couple of
state coppers very ****ed off when it was pointed out to them they they had
no legal right to confiscate scanners etc (unless used in the commission of
a crime) - still, it makes sense not to be too open when using your
scanners.

Matt

Old September 2nd 04, 03:37 PM

"Sandy Hoff" wrote in message
m II wrote:

Burr wrote:

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in

message

You look to be in the clear, however, who knows these days. I'd check

with

a local State Police post with regard to the laws in your state...

Let sleeping dogs lie!!!

Wonderful advice. Nothing like getting put a 'suspicious person' list
for asking an innocent question from YOUR OWN civil servants..

That's why such phone calls are made from a public phone with a bogus

name.

Exactly what I was thinking...

Old September 3rd 04, 03:09 AM
Larry Splane

Ham operators are legally able to carry scanners as a part of their
"licensed obligation" to carry and forward emergency information to the
general public. Joe blow is generally frowned on about having a scanner
because the police immediately suspect that you would only need the use of
the scanner to evade the police in the commision of a crime. Or something to
that effect.
You should check with your local smokey to be sure.

Larry

news
wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.

I believe licensed HAM's can carry a scanner even in areas where local
laws prohibit the practice. Check with your local police.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

Old September 3rd 04, 03:35 AM
Russ

First of all, there are only three kinds of people to a cop. Cops,
cop's families and suspects. Second, never ask a cop about the law.
They don't know dick about it. If they did, they'd be lawyers.

Russ

Old September 3rd 04, 05:15 AM
Barnacle Bill

In article , R David Steele wrote:
On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 03:18:38 GMT, Never anonymous Bud
wrote:

|Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, "Larry Splane" on Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:09:17 -0700
|spoke:
|
| Ham operators are legally able to carry scanners as a part of their
|"licensed obligation" to carry and forward emergency information to the
|general public.
|
|Hams CAN NOT carry just scanners in violation of local law.
|
|The FCC has an exemption for HAM radios that ALSO function as scanners.

Actually that depends on how the individual state legislature
wrote the law. In most states that have exemptions, it reads
only about receiving equipment that covers police frequencies.
Nothing said about ham freqs, just that those with ham licenses
or General Radio Operator License (GROL, ie a radio professional)
are exempt. Remember that they police like having something to
hold over you. Being able to take your license away if you get
out of hand is generally enough to satisfy them.

???
Police can't take away your amateur license. Only the FCC can do that.

Remember how society is structured these days. It is about
control over your behavior. Thus being able get you fired or
such. Thus cops are given "freedom" as they can be fired. What
the left wants is to be able to completely restrict those who are
without jobs thus outside the boundaries of control.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty ... servitude better than ... freedom,
go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your arms ... May your
chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Old September 3rd 04, 06:41 PM
ScanMan

Ok Barry I'll help ya out with that one -

TSHTF - The **** Hits The Fan

(I assume

"Barry OGrady" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:38:51 GMT, Sandy Hoff wrote:

Jim Douglas wrote:

If and when TSHTF the mushroom cloud will get ya before the scanner

tell's
you to bend over, place your head
firmly between your legs and kiss your abs goodbye!

There are other scenarios besides a mushroom cloud.

TSHTF?

-Barry
========

Old September 4th 04, 01:58 AM

Jim Douglas wrote:

If and when TSHTF the mushroom cloud will get ya before the scanner tell's
you to bend over, place your head
firmly between your legs and kiss your abs goodbye!

Your ABS??? That's way more contortion than most people can
handle.

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Advice on buying a scanner John Scanner 0 August 25th 04 12:11 PM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM