Old August 31st 04, 11:17 PM
Willcox

Sandy Hoff wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?

If it's not illegal, but it can be like incriminating evidence / Small
time drug dealers use them a lot. There's a world of difference in how
the police view it between having one in your home or having it in your
car. Why would you have one IN YOUR CAR either to evade police or go to
crime scenes?

I have no interest in monitoring the police.

Why would you need it in your car just to know what's going on?

I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.

A good AM radio can pick up AM stations a long way away.

Old August 31st 04, 11:33 PM
Warren Waters

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:54:24 GMT, Sandy Hoff
wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

And listen to Howie Carr?

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.

Old September 1st 04, 12:18 AM
David Warren

"Sandy Hoff" wrote in message
Hi guys,
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?

I asked a Oklahoma highway patrolman that question when he pulled me over.

He told me that I was OK as long as I wasn't using it in the commission of a
crime
or making a pest out of myself by checking out wrecks, drug busts and such.

Ask your local law enforcement.

Dave

Old September 1st 04, 02:28 AM
Buzzygirl

wrote:

Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?

It varys by state. Some places its illegal to carry a scanner without
a ham license. Michigan for one unless they changed it.

Minnesota is another one of those states that insists you have a ham license
to carry scanning equipment in your car. If you aren't a ham, one can apply
for a permit to have one too.

Jackie

Old September 1st 04, 02:42 AM
m II

Burr wrote:
"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message

You look to be in the clear, however, who knows these days. I'd check

with

a local State Police post with regard to the laws in your state...

Let sleeping dogs lie!!!

Wonderful advice. Nothing like getting put a 'suspicious person' list
for asking an innocent question from YOUR OWN civil servants..

mike

Old September 1st 04, 03:10 AM
ScanMan

Yes, but be prepared to show a copy of your license if you are asked.

news
wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?
I have no interest in monitoring the police.
I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.
I live in Maryland and work in Baltimore City.

I Googled but didn't come up with much.
Maybe a good site recommendation?

Thank you guys. Great NGs, very informative.

Sandy.

I believe licensed HAM's can carry a scanner even in areas where local
laws prohibit the practice. Check with your local police.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

Old September 1st 04, 12:38 PM
Sandy Hoff

Jim Douglas wrote:

If and when TSHTF the mushroom cloud will get ya before the scanner tell's
you to bend over, place your head
firmly between your legs and kiss your abs goodbye!

There are other scenarios besides a mushroom cloud.

Old September 1st 04, 12:40 PM
Sandy Hoff

Willcox wrote:

Sandy Hoff wrote:

Hi guys,

Long time listener, first time caller here.
I have a question.
Is it legal to carry a police scanner in my car?

If it's not illegal, but it can be like incriminating evidence / Small
time drug dealers use them a lot. There's a world of difference in how
the police view it between having one in your home or having it in your
car. Why would you have one IN YOUR CAR either to evade police or go to
crime scenes?

I have no interest in monitoring the police.

Why would you need it in your car just to know what's going on?

I have the scanner in case TSHTF and I need to hear what's going on.
Wind direction and weather from KEC83, local radio, instructions. That
sort of thing.

A good AM radio can pick up AM stations a long way away.

But not NOAA weather radio at 162.5mHz.

Old September 1st 04, 06:32 PM
Sandy Hoff

m II wrote:

Burr wrote:

"PowerHouse Communications" wrote in message

You look to be in the clear, however, who knows these days. I'd check

with

a local State Police post with regard to the laws in your state...

Let sleeping dogs lie!!!

Wonderful advice. Nothing like getting put a 'suspicious person' list
for asking an innocent question from YOUR OWN civil servants..

That's why such phone calls are made from a public phone with a bogus name.

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Advice on buying a scanner John Scanner 0 August 25th 04 12:11 PM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM